Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th September 2009, 11:09   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
cool ASTA (O). you get all 4 disc brakes. side and curtain airbags, sunroof!! not to mention the great and powerful engine!! this is perfect car!! totally VFM!!
you are right, this is the top-most diesel hatch. can't get better than this for a hatch. funny thing is, when you are inside, it doesn't even feel like a hatch. the space, the comfort, the ride, the interiors - it's all top notch.

Last edited by pachchu : 10th September 2009 at 11:11.
pachchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:15   #62
BHPian

Hey JayD,

Congrats and the white i20 looks beautiful. Happy Driving.

Also you have a very elegant and beautiful house. One thing which amazed me during my trip to Kerala some years back was the architecture and color combinations of some of the houses.
pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 12:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

JayD, congratulations on the hatch Did you mention the mileage you are getting? If not, please do mention it.

Also, watching the sunroof in the rain is a real pleasure.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 12:45   #64
BANNED

JayD, congratulations on your ubercool crdi mill, looks fantastic on white shade.Sunroof pictures with rain drops looks perfect to say for this car.Keep updating and enjoy your ride.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 21:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I intend to gift you some carpets
After what you did to a certain i10, you shouldn't be allowed near a hyundai ever again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post
Hey JayD,

Congrats and the white i20 looks beautiful. Happy Driving.

Also you have a very elegant and beautiful house. One thing which amazed me during my trip to Kerala some years back was the architecture and color combinations of some of the houses.
Thanks dude, yep, kerala has some pretty interesting houses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
JayD, congratulations on the hatch Did you mention the mileage you are getting? If not, please do mention it.

Also, watching the sunroof in the rain is a real pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
JayD, congratulations on your ubercool crdi mill, looks fantastic on white shade.Sunroof pictures with rain drops looks perfect to say for this car.Keep updating and enjoy your ride.
Thanks!Have not mentioned the FE yet, will give my initial impressions in the following post. Yep! The sunroof is a real treat in the monsoons!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 22:15   #66
Team-BHP Support

Congratz! i love the way this car carries white, and it needs wider wheels, better allots and 10 mts of your time to rip those plastic covers off!

Enjoy the ride!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 22:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

Default Initial Impressions

I wanted to post this earlier, but was held up with some work, well, here goes. These are my initial views on the Roadrunner!

Looks: As most have already said, the car looks absolutely smashing in white.(my personal view here), the sunroof stands out in this colour and adds some bling factor too! The alloys would've looked better if it were 15", but i guess the ride would've been compromised then.

Interiors: The interiors are a strong point of this car. I feel its one of the best in its segment(and better than some above it too). Plastica are of very high quality, and i love the choco and beige colour scheme, but i've noticed that some do not like this combo.The seats are very good, and firm. No squeaks and rattles(touchwood), and the doors close with a solid thud!

Engine & Transmission:
Now comes the most important part of the car! The 1.4 CRDI is very smooth and refined. On idle, emits a clatter, which makes it very easily identifiable as a diesel. Hyundai has completely skimped on sound deadening for the bonnet, and it shows in the idle noise level. Bit none of it is audiable inside. Once on the move, the engine settles down and its virtually impossible to say that its an oil burner inside.

I'm a first time diesel buyer, so it is taking me some time to learn how to drive a Turbo car properly. My previous experiences are with the swift and getz D and more recently, a friends punto. On idle, in any gear, the car surges forward, even on full load. With 4 people in the car, at around 1000RPM, i'm doing 40+kph, without even touching the throttle!! This is a little difficult for me to control in the city, but am getting used to this. I noticed that the getz too shows similar charecteristics. But its helpful, if one learns to harness this power. There is very minimal turbo lag, once you get the hang of driving this car. The turbo kicks in nice and smooth, from around 1800rpm, and though its more linear than the getz, its not completely missing, like in the punto. The kick is very much there, and from then on, it just takes off. Have not taken it over 3K rpm till now, so dunno about the top speed details.

The gearbox is a joy to use, and the throws are very short and the gears fall into place easily. The gear lever itself is a piece of art, and the knob for engaging reverse its a funky design. One grouse is the very deep travel of the clutch, which makes it a lil inconvenient to use.

Ride & Handling: Much has been said about the light steering of the i20, and i agree with it. the steering is very light, which is a boon in the city. Dunno how good it will be on the highway, but have crossed 100 now, and the steering felt fine to me. I also have an NHC, so am used to light steerings!. the ride is quite good, but i felt the punto has an edge here. Initially, my car was delivered with an air pressure of about 46(!!!!) which made the car bounce all over the place, reuced it now. Let see how it fares now. regarding the handling, i'll take the car on the twisties soon, will update in detail!

Equipment: This is one of the primary reasons why i bought this car. The car comes completely loaded with kit, including 4wheel disc brakes, 6 airbags, Abs, tilt+ reach adjust steering, a nice bug sunroof.... the list goes on. Infact, its got more kit than even the fortuner! lol!

ICE: The stock ICE on the car is pretty good. I am a diehard ICE-a-holic and had an above decent setup in my older car. Though i miss it a lot, the one in this car does the job well. I'm comparing it with the one's which come on the ANHC, and the punto. The HU also supports USB and ipod, and one car do folder and track browsing, just like we can do it in the alpines and pioneer HU's. For the ipod to work properly, one needs a cable. Currently, it just detects it as a USB. I feel Hyundai should've given the cable along with it, considering the price of the car. Planning to upgrade the speakers in some time, not confirmed yet.

FE: Now comes the million dollar question, FE. It was onam season when i took delivery of the car, so the streets in cochin were hopelessly overcrowded, as expected FE took a hit, also, many people wanted to check out the car, so it stayed idle with the engine running for quite some time. inspite that, i got an FR of 15.4 which i think is good for a car which had run 300kms! Some days later, the roads opened up,and ventured out on the highway too. With a little highway drive and some city commuting thrown in, i managed 17kmpl! I guess it will improve as the car runs!
Old 13th September 2009, 13:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz! i love the way this car carries white, and it needs wider wheels, better allots and 10 mts of your time to rip those plastic covers off!

Enjoy the ride!
Wider wheels and alloys will follow, as soon as the current set wears out.(which will be fast! ). P.s, the plastic covers are still on the car!
Old 13th September 2009, 14:30   #69
BANNED

hey nice impression of your crdi mill, surely the FE you are getting is quite good too and once the engine settles down would come out better.Would love to hear more from the suspention part, full occupancy, higher speeds stability, even steering which surely after some more runs you would have to share.Keep updating and enjoy your ride.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 14:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jayd!! I love the looks of i20 especially the rear. I think the only drawback would be unresponsive steering and premium price tag. Correct me here but i found rear space in Getz better than i20.

P.S. : Nice House
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 16:32   #71
BHPian

Jay your new bride in white looks fabulous. The only missing equipment on on the I 20 CRDI is an automatic version. Is the seat height adjustable?
Sarvodaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 19:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

Congrats JayD, nice car n nice house....
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 15:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Congrats JayD on the i20. The car looks absolutely smashing in white.

Did you go for any extended warranty?

It's to engage the reverse. The reverse is to the left of 1st gear and to engage you need to press and shift the knob to the left of 1st gear.
That was very well placed under the gear but not like GM & other.
OT:for Jetta we need to press/push down the whole gear lever and shift to extreme left.

Was searching for a ring/button to engage in reverse gear
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 00:23   #74
BHPian

Great going buddy. It's time for the COCHIN D R I V E
Silver Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 10:42   #75
BHPian

JayD congrats, good writeup, beautiful snaps. I got feel, photoshop has been done in Europe.

As a satisfied Hyundai customer and most of my running on highway, CRDi was on my priority list, but light steering put me off. I feel quality of exterior and interior are best in class.

Enjoy many happy miles.
rajeshvin is offline   Reply With Quote