Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th September 2009, 00:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Talking My Roadrunner is here!! i20 CRDi Asta(O) EDIT: 20,000kms Update

Howdy! This is my first thread in this part of the forum, and honestly, i never thought i'd start one in this section anytime soon, especially considering the fact that my last few purchases are well over five decades old!

A few months back, the distributor on '61 Amby failed, and i had to initiate a statewide hunt of scrapyards to get a proper working unit. A few days later, i accompanied my friend 'R' to the Maruti A.S.S, to buy a new clutch for his car. I was just observing, how easy it was for 'normal' car buyers to get parts, just pay the cash, buy the part, get it fixed, and go home! Whereas with most of my cars, a failed part meant atleast a few days spent hunting in scrapyards, and searching other small shops, hoping to find the right part. Sometimes succeeding, more often not. but never had I thought of buying a new car.

I used to go and see/ TD almost all new cars, without even the slightest intention on buying them, ever, but lately, i started looking through some of the brochures that i had. They all had nice shiny clean brand new cars, with many happy people around/in them. Everything looked new and fresh, they had no grease or grime on them, no band aids or cuts in their hands from fiddling around with the cars. No toolboxes in the garages, no assortment of spare parts which might be needed anytime... in short, no headaches.

Somewhere deep inside me, I wanted a new car, but i was just too attached to my current Daily driver, an 8 year old Daewoo Matiz, and had absolutely no intention of selling it. But little did I know, that something totally different was in store for me.

June 24 2009: I receive an Ultimatum from dad. The matiz has to go. Safety features were of primary concern ,and getting parts was also starting to be a problem for the car. Reluctantly, I had to agree, so began the hunt for a new car.
The checklist for the new car was as follows

Diesel Hatch
Power
Safety
Equipment
Looks
F.E

The contenders were:

1) Fiat Grande Punto.- I was waiting for this for a long time(seriously) and the price and specs looked good.

2) Maruti Ritz- No airbags, but ABS was an option.

3) Maruti Swift- Was not too interested in this since it was just way too common.

4) Hyundai Getz- This was the car that I wanted, But it had no safety features, and future was uncertain.

Last edited by JayD : 8th September 2009 at 00:43.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 01:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Test Drives:

Maruti Swift: I was very familiar with the car already since many of my friends have it. So didn't do a repeat TD, but here are my observations based on previous experienbces.

+ves

Peppy Engine
Great Gearbox
Good F.E

-ves
Poor Build quality
No ZDI version, Vdi has less equipment than my matiz
Long waiting period for VDI with ABS

Maruti Ritz: Did a TD of the Vdi model,the interior looked better than the swift, and the tacho is a neat touch. I liked the seats on the car too. but overall, I was not too impressed with it. The engine, even though, its the same block as the swift, somehow felt more restricted(Due to the Euro 4 tuning) and didn't feel as eager as the swift. Also, the gear console was fouling with my knees constantly, so the ritz was as good as removed from my list

+ves:
New Model
High seats

-Ves:
Not as peppy as swift
Not much equipment

the next day, went for a TD of the Grande Punto,

Grande Punto: I was just blown away by the looks of the car. i was wainting for this for a long time now, and hoped that it would live upto my expectations. The first impressions about the interior was okay. The plastics looked a lil downmarket, but i could live with it. the emo Pack was fully loaded with all the features i wanted. But once i took a TD, my views changed. The linear power delivery did not appeal to me, and i missed the 'kick' of the turbo in the swift. The engine felt underpowered, and was on the louder side. Also, i was having some issues due to the close placement of the dead pedal and the clutch.

But even with the above mentioned -ves, the Ride and handling was simply outstanding. the steering was very precise and the ride quality was better than several saloons.

+ves:
Looks
Equipment
Ride and Handling
VFM

-ves
Underpowered
cramped Footwell
Stock stereo sounded bad

Due to the lack of other options, we almost settled for this one, when i suggested the getz. Dad was not too keen on the getz as it was an old model, and future was uncertain, but decided to take a look at it anyways. So went to popular hyundai for a TD

Hyundai getz crdi:

After seeing the punto, the getz looked a lil old in comparison. The interiors were well built and had a simple theme which i liked, The wooden centre console looked terrible though.

Started the car, and it settled into a silent idle, reached the highway, and floored it, it climbed to 2K Rpm, and Whoosh! It was literally Flying. I drove it over some bad stretches, and the ride was simple great. My heart was made up. I had to have this car!

The dealer informs me that today( 25th june) is the last day of the 4.99lac offer. So i ask him whether I can get the same rate if i book the car now, and take delivery in end july( due to auspicious reasons), the agree.It is around 2pm then So I tell them i'll return by evening with a certain amount to book the car.

+ves:
Engine!!!!
Great Ride
Well built interiors

-Ves
NO equipment of any sort
No safety features
Uncertain Future

By 3:30, i finish lunch, and was planning to go to the dealer to book the car, when i get a call from them saying that the getz offer is over and that i cannot avail it if i take delivery in july.

So i go there and speak to them, finally, they agree and i book a White Getz Crdi, the last one booked in cochin! But, the story has only begun!
Old 8th September 2009, 01:46   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the comparison and Congrats on Booking the Getz.

I am not sure why but when I tested the Ritz, it felt much peppier than the Swift. Maybe because I TDed the diesel versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The dealer informs me that today( 25th june) is the last day of the 4.99lac offer. So i ask him whether I can get the same rate if i book the car now, and take delivery in end july( due to auspicious reasons), the agree.It is around 2pm then So I tell them i'll return by evening with a certain amount to book the car.
Is this an old log? You mentioned 25th June and it is September.
leonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 02:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats JayD. Im not much of a Getz fan but a ride in Iraghavas Getz Crdi in delhi changed my views. If i was going to but a car in that segment, it would be the Getz for its whacker of an engine and ride quality and of course the price.

Let us have a full report when you get it. All the best.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 03:19   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

The story is truly far from over . Congrats on the.... Well, lets keep it a surprise for now shall we?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 08:51   #6
BHPian

i think its a i20 crdi. congratulations.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 08:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
i think its a i20 crdi. congratulations.
Me too thinks same

Anyway, lets wait for the secret to be opened.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 09:10   #8
BANNED

JayD,

Nice to see your running behind newer cars , I had somewhere seen "House-full" even inspite of the Matiz going, do you really have space to park any more cars at home

Anyways, congrats on your new purchase.

But would warn you, the pleasure any classic at your home gives is incomparable with the new tinny you are buying.

Its just electronics buddy. The car drives you more than "you driving the car"
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 09:11   #9
NIP
Senior - BHPian

But hes already mentioned that he booked a white getz drdi ? Is there some more suspense to this story...anyway congrats and waiting for the climax JayD !
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 09:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Excellent choice. I would have chosen the Getz too.

Did I miss something, whats the climax?
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 09:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats,

Good Choice,But lack in Safety Features.
Great in City and Highway drive.
No turbo lag.
But what is the last statement you mentioned?
Did you cancel and book some other car?
Any how,Enjoy and Drive safe
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 09:51   #12
BHPian

I have been running around all dealers for a Getz CRDI and havent found even one.
If JayD's search has been in June, then its a Getz all the way, else it is a i20.

Also because the Getz is low on the safety features that he is looking for. So I have a feeling its going to be an i20.

Anyways, JayD please continue with your story.
gods-envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 13:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonerd View Post
I am not sure why but when I tested the Ritz, it felt much peppier than the Swift. Maybe because I TDed the diesel versions. Is this an old log? You mentioned 25th June and it is September.
Even I Td'd the diesel versions. The swift felt peppier to me than the ritz. I read somewhere that this is because the ritz is tuned for Euro 4 norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Congrats JayD. Im not much of a Getz fan but a ride in Iraghavas Getz Crdi in delhi changed my views. If i was going to but a car in that segment, it would be the Getz for its whacker of an engine and ride quality and of course the price.

Let us have a full report when you get it. All the best.
Yes, The getz is, was and always be all about that whacker of the engine. sadly, the company decided to kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
The story is truly far from over . Congrats on the.... Well, lets keep it a surprise for now shall we?
As they say, the story has just begun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
JayD,

Nice to see your running behind newer cars , I had somewhere seen "House-full" even inspite of the Matiz going, do you really have space to park any more cars at home

Anyways, congrats on your new purchase.

But would warn you, the pleasure any classic at your home gives is incomparable with the new tinny you are buying.

Its just electronics buddy. The car drives you more than "you driving the car"
he he! it had to happen sometime! Parking is a biiigg problem at home, but hey, such things come bundled with the joys of owning cars right. And you're right pavanji, no modern car comes close, when it comes to sheer pleasure, compared to our classics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
I have been running around all dealers for a Getz CRDI and havent found even one.
If JayD's search has been in June, then its a Getz all the way, else it is a i20.

Also because the Getz is low on the safety features that he is looking for. So I have a feeling its going to be an i20.

Anyways, JayD please continue with your story.
The search stsrted in the last week of june, but ended in august!
Old 8th September 2009, 13:12   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
5 of my friends have picked up a Getz Crdi in the last 15 days .
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 13:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

the story continues.....

July first week:

So there i was, happy as ever that i'd booked my dream car, and was waiting to get it delivered, when Kpzen( henceforth referred to as 'KP' in the story!) calls, and tells me that the i20 CDRi is on the way! And soon!! Damn! That was totally unexpected since, it was initially expected only in december. Spoke to the dealer on the same and they confirmed that the car was indeed coming in a few weeks! Then the dilemma started, again. If the i20 was coming out, there was a high cchance that the getz would be killed. I already knew the pains of living with a discontinued car, (Heck, i've got a whole garage full of 'em! ) so was confused on what to do. The i20 looked good in the pix, but i hadn't checked it out directly. Asked dad for his opinion and he was like, 'the choice is upto you!' that confused me further.

So i went off to the showroom with bhp-ian rippergeo, and checked out the i20 and the getz B2B. The i20 was miles ahead in the looks department, and interiors. But I liked the getz interior, and the space was much more in the getz. Heart said getz, but mind said i20.

We were thinking what to do when ripper got some more info on the i20 from Kp. So he was just explaining to me, like"KP said the car is a 1.4".... " 2 models" blah blah, and we notice that some salespeople were keenly listening to us. After some time, one of them comes up to me and asks,
"sir, what else did KP say??"

So we decide to cancel the getz booking and go for the i20 crdi. Mind you, the car was not even launched yet.!

This was the conversation that followed!

Me: "I'll cancel the getz and when the i20 comes out, will go for that"

Dealer: No need sir, you can directly transfer his amount to the i20, your can be the first booking, if you like the car when it comes out, you can go for that, or cancel the booking then, no cancellation charge will be charged"

Me: "Okay, do it then"
dealer: What colour/model sir?
Me: Dunno, not decided.
Dealer: " we cannot book without knowing that"
Me:" Ok, what colours and models are available in the diesel??"
Dealer:( suddenly realizes he knows nothing about the car, and admits it sheepishly and asks) " Sorry sir we do not have any details, what did KP say??"

Me: !!!!!

Anyways, we book an i20 crdi in Dark grey metallic and leave the showroom! The car is still weeks away from even being announced, but the first booking is done!!

the story is not over... yet!!! :P

Last edited by JayD : 8th September 2009 at 13:30.