Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th June 2014, 11:44   #76
BHPian

Default re: Got my VW Jetta. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hi there.

As per post #68 of this thread, issigonis got his remap done from Tune-o-tronics.....

Tune-o-Tronics are quietly popular on Team-BHP and you'd do well to get the remap done from them.
Many thanks LikeTurtles. I'll sure look them up. On a separate point I seem to be having the same cars that you do . Mine isn't a DSG though since I bought in the last stages of MK5 being phased out. We just got an i10 Grand - it's time now for her first service.
aghosht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 13:53   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
Hi Issigonis - was wondering where you get your Red Baron serviced and who do you particularly ask for at that service station. Each time I visit the Mumbai/ Thane outlets I go into depression!

Like I mentioned in my earlier post mine is almost upto 75k now and I have a sort of noise which suggests a slight "play" in the left front wheel (although I'm not very sure what exactly it is). When I suggested bush replacements the VW guys at Thane want to change the entire shock absorber!

I'm sure you would have got this done at a place only after the right research. Please can you point me out from where you got this done. Will be grateful if you can share a link to any other information that I can read up regarding remap etc.

Many thanks
>>>

aghosht,

I get the annual service ( and any pre & post long drive check) in the Downtown VW workshop in the Lalbaug cha Raja area, not very far from the Chinchpokli flyover.

Till date I am a satisfied customer and have had no reason to change service stations. Of course once has to follow Ronald Reagan's dictum - trust but confirm, and I will give you an apt example of following it in spirit.

During my last check ( and I religiously get the car checked before and after each long/longish drive) before leaving for Champaner -Pavagadh, I was informed by the service advisor that the plastic underbody plate ( for protecting the fuel lines) in the centre-back of the car had developed some small cracks near the bolted areas. I promptly asked them to get the plate replaced. I was in turn informed that the said plate was unavailable and that it would take about three weeks for it to be shipped from Aurangabad; the long time for delivery being that it was a 'non-priority' non-emergency type of part. Fine.

I waited for the workshop to revert on the delivery, as mutually agreed. I called them (casually)every month but did not get any response.

Subsequently I got in touch with VW which made the workshop sit up.
I explained the situation to the workshop again and finally came to know that both that service advisor and the service manager had quit, and hence the ball had dropped.

Yesterday I went for the annual (year5) service and clearly informed them of all the items that they need to do ( inspection, interval & oil change service - all three as per the service schedule ( Ref: 1.1 Service Schedule of the owner's manual).

Also I informed them of the 'cracked plastic underbody protective plate'.

The first thing that the new service manager did, after the note taking formalities were done, was to hoist the car on a ramp and closely inspect the undercarriage.

To my relief, there was not a single crack in that plate, not were there any indentations/nicks in the metallic engine protective plate in the front side. I say this because the car had grazed quite a few speed breakers in the journey to Coorg, on the interior /state roads : on the Hiriyur-Huliyar-Maisandra-Nelligere-Nagamangala-Honakere-Seringapatnam stretch.

The underbody was absolutely fine- the car had stood upto the rigours of those roads very well. The only thing was that the screw on the rear right mudflap had become a bit loose, which was immediately tightened and the other mudflap's screw checked.

I am not sure what exactly the problem with your noise is, but do visually check the car on a ramp and ask questions of the technicians- if there is any part which is deformed, the technician should be able to show the deformation, at least by comparing with a pristine one.

Very glad to know that you have done 75 k- congrats on further miles of smiles!

On information on Tune-o-tronics iliketurtles has already shown you the info. source. If you wish to consult with them, contact Vivek at 9741465432.

The ECU check and the subsequent remap took barely an hour or so.
I am smiling- that is all I can say.

By the way, it ill be nice of we stay in touch.
Also, after the year 5 service, am planning a back in a day visit to Nasik, for some highway cruising

P.S. : Next up, a proper proper interior detailing from R&R, Colaba ; appointment fixed for this Monday.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 20th June 2014 at 14:00. Reason: Made corrections, added one point.
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 00:16   #78
BHPian

>>>

I am considering parting with the Red Baron.
It has been a terrific experience driving this very stable driving machine for nearly six years, with 66,700 kms clocked, with nary a breakdown on my runs.

I have taken good care of it even though I say so myself, and will have to let go with a heavy heart, if I find a loving owner.

I have placed an ad in the classifieds here and all relevant details are in it.

Regards
Old 27th September 2015, 12:29   #79
BHPian

>>>

As of 29th July, 2015, I am happy to say that the Red Baron has found another home and I expect it to be well cared for.

I had many pleasant memories driving it, maintaining it and the owner is as enthusiastic about it as I was.

Thankfully, it does not have the EA 189 engine which is the source of such disquiet the world over re. the emission software/ defeat device.

Regards
issigonis

Last edited by issigonis : 27th September 2015 at 12:36.
Old 27th September 2015, 12:33   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
As of 29th July, 2015, I am happy to say that the Red Baron has found another home and I expect it to be well cared for.

I had many pleasant memories driving it, maintaining it and the owner is as enthusiastic about it as I was.

Thankfully, it does not have the EA 189 engine which is the source of such disquiet the world over re. the emission software/ defeat device.

Regards
So what did you get issigonis? After a Jetta an upgrade is difficult unless you go for the big 3 germans.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015, 12:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So what did you get issigonis? After a Jetta an upgrade is difficult unless you go for the big 3 germans.
>>>

I downgraded - to a smaller car, but with a lower ground clearance.

An F30 (320d Sportline) - used - slightly less than two year old.
Courtesy splendid advice and monitoring by akshay1234.

This after spending the better part from October 2014 till May 2015 searching high and low for a very well maintained, relatively low odo 330i, not finding any viable ones, and going through a few F30s (328i,320d Sportline and Luxury), F10s (530d), X1s, Jag XFs (3.0 litre diesel & 5.0 litre petrol) to finally strike it lucky.

I keep calm and smile while I drive. Hopefully I will continue to smile.

Regards
issigonis
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015, 12:55   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
>>>

I downgraded - to a smaller car, but with a lower ground clearance.

An F30 (320d Sportline) - used - slightly less than two year old.
Courtesy splendid advice and monitoring by akshay1234.

I keep calm and smile while I drive. Hopefully I will continue to smile.

Regards
issigonis
Perfect. I expected nothing lesser. Excellent choice.

The F30 is almost as spacious as F10. I found very little to differentiate. The F30 was like the perfect size and is great fun to drive.
Old 27th September 2015, 14:21   #83
BHPian

Thank you. I forgot to mention two very mouthwatering cars that I missed to mention among the ones that I saw: one a pristine white 250 CDI with the AMG kit (the power switch!) and an imported 535i.
The first was a non starter due to the steep price and I got beaten to the latter by half an hour by someone who plonked money as advance.

But I have no regrets.
Even in Comfort mode in city driving it covers ground effortlessly fast.
Old 27th September 2015, 15:32   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you. I forgot to mention two very mouthwatering cars that I missed to mention among the ones that I saw: one a pristine white 250 CDI with the AMG kit (the power switch!) and an imported 535i.
The first was a non starter due to the steep price and I got beaten to the latter by half an hour by someone who plonked money as advance.

But I have no regrets.
Even in Comfort mode in city driving it covers ground effortlessly fast.
I know this is OT but I can't resist. The 250CDI would have been a good choice as well but being an old generation it had a fare share of flaws.

The 535i is simply mouth watering but being a very high strung petrol you need to be weary of where you tank up. That really limits your highway drives as you will need to worry about fuel quality. Plus with that straight 6 engine you know you will be filling up more.
Old 28th September 2015, 08:41   #85
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Got my VW Jetta. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I know this is OT but I can't resist. The 250CDI would have been a good choice as well but being an old generation it had a fare share of flaws.
With the exception of a bad batch of injectors, the E250 CDi's have been pretty reliable. What are the flaws that you are talking about?
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 09:59   #86
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Got my VW Jetta. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
With the exception of a bad batch of injectors, the E250 CDi's have been pretty reliable. What are the flaws that you are talking about?
Not mechanical flaws. The C is down on space vs the F30 3 series. Then the steering which feels a little too light and takes away some of the fun. The NVH of the 250CDI is not known to be great, but even the BMW is not the quietest.

The 7G-tronic transmission is also not as good as the ZF8 unit.