Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th September 2009, 15:27   #16
BHPian

Thats an awesome intro. Really nice read and very well written.
Cant wait to hear the rest.
Liverpool_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 17:09   #17
BHPian

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. I am already feeling at home here.

If you are all game and while I take a bit of time to update Part 4 , could we play a small guessing game?

Which car did I end up with?
Roameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 17:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roameo View Post
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. I am already feeling at home here.

If you are all game and while I take a bit of time to update Part 4 , could we play a small guessing game?

My guess is Hyundai i20 or Honda Jazz.
Liverpool_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 18:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Your profile says it all.

Congrats on the buy
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 19:09   #20
BHPian

Default What car?!

OK - my guess was something like the Getz or the Aveo - (a) with you being abroad; (b) your wife wanting a compact & (c) your son wanting a sedan!

Anyway, you got a very good car and hope you enjoy your drive!!

Can you please elaborate on the final part what made you settle for this car - you have a way with words, and I am sure all the other owners of this car will enjoy reading it!!
vrprabhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 19:48   #21
BHPian

Hey Roameo, great intro there. It reminded the days when i pestered my Dad when deciding on cars. BTW, ur profile gives away the suspense . Waiting for the next part. Love your writing skills .
fast_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 21:41   #22
BHPian

Thanks everybody for your participation in the game. Please allow me to keep you guessing a while longer. There will be a hint or two in my next post coming up soon.
Old 14th September 2009, 23:38   #23
Team-BHP Support

There is not much to guess, we all know you bought Hyundai i10 Asta, although you wanted to buy a Beetle. Now, let's get on with the part 4 pronto!
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 00:36   #24
BHPian

Et tu, Samurai? Cats shouldn't be let out of the bag so easily, nor the climax revealed during interval. Good guess any way. But you are right about the Beetle. Now that's a dream.

Part 4
Bangalore Blues

Sonny kept his promise. The following Friday,he woke me up at 6 a.m in the morning. Slightly stronger tremors followed ten minutes later.It had rained the previous night and the cosy warmth of my blanket was a far more comforting idea than taking driving lessons on a chilly Bangalore morning.

The clock must have relentlessly ticked another 20 minutes. Sonny's
third and final attack had the desired impact- He pulled away my blanket. Upon half opening an eye to check the time, I thought I saw a slightly inclined glass of water menacingly hover a feet or so above my face. I got up with a start. Sonny stood tall with a glass of hot coffee and a big grin. "You have another ten minutes to get ready" he said, putting down the steaming glass on the side table."I'll be back".

The five footer and his mother saw me off at the gate with a thumbs up sign."Hurry,up.You have only a few minutes to get there. If I didn't have
school today, I would have come with you".

Mani Motor Driving school had its shutter down. I shivered as a cold
breeze swept by. There were a couple of others hanging around and they
seemed excited about something. One of them had a dreamly smile glued to her face. I couldn't help wondering what in the world could excite anyone at 7 a.m in Bangalore other than a soft blanket made of the finest wool the world produces. Or a steaming cup of filtered Bangalore coffee i.e if one had managed to get up by then.

Another wave of breeze swept past and close on its tail, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. This stimulated my nostrils causing a warm stream of conciousness to flow through the wind mills of my mind:

"May be they are closed today.Guess I will wait another couple of minutes and go home.No hurry. We can always start tomorrow.Monday would be ideal,totally refreshed after a well-earned weekend of relaxation. Mind would be very condusive to absorb driving lessons."

The week thus far had been unusually non-dramatic at office with my
teams meeting all KPIs without my intervention. More cause for lethargy
was that there hadn't been a single escalation or complaint which is saying lot considering my clients list includes Japanese mobile network
operators. Surely I now deserved a well-earned and slothful weekend to unwind on my favourite recliner with a sachet of Lay's magic masala chips and a tall glass of coke.
I digress. My sincere apologies for off roading and thank you for your
patience. We still have some distance to cover , so let's get back to the high way and take a short break in a moment at the first tea shop we can find. I also need a good smoke.

I noticed that Sri Laxmi Condiments'' across the street had opened for
business. Realisation of the source of coffee had a magnetic effect. I
found my feet involuntarily starting to navigate in that direction...when I heard a honk behind me, breaking my trance. I turned and found a rather long haired punk stick a head out of a white Wagon R. "Sir, Are you Mr.....?".

A small board stuck on top of the car read 'Mani Motor Driving School'.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th September 2009 at 07:57. Reason: Edited to conform with Team-BHP rule#11
Old 15th September 2009, 07:55   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Et tu, Samurai?
Oh, hey, I am no Marcus Brutus, don't let the sword in my avatar confuse you. I am no Roman sword champion like him.

Quote:
Cats shouldn't be let out of the bag so easily, nor the climax revealed during interval. Good guess any way.
As many members have pointed out, cat was never in the bag. Your public profile mentions your car model.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 10:36   #26
BHPian

Default Wild Goose Chase?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As many members have pointed out, cat was never in the bag. Your public profile mentions your car model.
You know what, I think our friend Roameo had planned the whole thing very meticulously - he must have even faked the car he owned in his profile while planning his profile!!

And have some patience - that is what makes the drive (and life, too) interesting....

Hey Roameo, I thought you being abroad and your favourite cars (plus your age, if you don't mind) made me think you must have learnt driving by now!! I was thinking that you wanted the driving lessons just to get familiar with the Bangalore traffic. Am I right?
vrprabhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 10:56   #27
BHPian

Reading through the stories I am getting a feeling I am reading RK Narayan. Good plot, excellent suspense and beautiful use of the language. I am glued.
Hoopoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:55   #28
BHPian

Samurai,
No issues. Like all BHPians I have been following your posts and have great admiration for your experience and suggestions. You are a great source of inspiration for newbies like me and would be looking foward to advice from you. I am particularly interested in the 'Art of travelling from Bangalore to Mangalore".

Turning to the last page of a novel when half through sort of spoils the fun of reading. Or may be not.There are times you actually want to precipitate through the chapters in between to find out what events led to such a finish. I guess this a matter of individual preference.

vrprabhu,
Anything is possible at this point in the story. Not revealing the identity of the car upfront in my story is certainly an integral part of my script to infuse an element of suspense. But whether I eventually bought an i10, i20, Fiat Palio or Ford Fusion is actually secondory in comparison to my main objective.

I always used to wonder why people made such fuss about cars. I expressed this in Part 2-Trials and Tribulations. It is only when I faced with the prospect of owning one did I realise the emotional, practical,financial and, not the least,social considerations that have a powerful bearing on our decision to go for a particular brand and model. This is all the more so when it is your first car. The process seems as complex and ritualistic as choosing a bride. It is these experiences I went through that I wanted to share with all of you in this story.

However, I am being truthful when I said I learnt how to drive hardly an year ago after relocating to Bangalore, and purely due to circumstantial obligations I have elaborated.

Hoopoe,
Being a great fan of R.K and read his works time and again, guess some of it has rubbed off to my writing style. On the other hand, never in my life had I imagined that I would ever write a story revolving around a car. An year ago, I would have been the last person to even contemplate taking on such an endeavour.

Will try to update the next part anon. Till then, Cheers
Old 15th September 2009, 15:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Roameo, Sir very well written. Its a matter of habit with all bhpians to check the public profile of all new joiners to check the garage so it was evident from the beginning that the car was an i10. But So what? we are waiting to read the entire chain of events which led to it .In most movies (if not all) the hero takes the heroine and thats evident from the start but that doesnt lessen the interest in the movie now, does it
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 17:41   #30
BHPian

Hi Roameo,

WOW ! what a intro man. Are you from literature fraternity? If not you can take up that profession (may be as part time), becasue you write too well. And yes, now we can not wait any more, please open the suspense.
Welcome to a great forum.
Anuj_Mumbai is offline   Reply With Quote