Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th September 2009, 20:34   #46
BHPian

Part 6
Pink Floyd

"I am Hanumanthu and I will be your instructor" the punk with long hair declared, poking a log sheet in my face."Please sign here".

I now had occasion to quickly inspect him at close quarters. What struck me instantly was that he bore an uncanny resemblance to Syd Barret. Not only was his hair styled after the unruly fashion of this legendary singer, even his face cut and features were similar. His looks were further accentuated by a tight round necked T-Shirt and weather beaten jeans. The T-Shirt was pink in color with dark pyschedelic designs splashed all over it. During the next couple of weeks, I noticed it was his favourite attire for he wore no other, except twice.

Syd Barret
Name:  Barret.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  3.7 KB

Probable portrait of my instructor if drawn by a good artist:
Name:  Syd Barret.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  6.1 KB

I was overcome with mixed feelings. On the one hand I was only too pleased to be taking driving lessons from a famous rocker belonging to one of my favourite musical bands when in my teens. And on the other,seized with anxiety at the possibility of having to confront some very bizarre and psychotic behaviour during the course of the lessons.

"Have you learnt driving before?" Barret now asked me. His question perplexed me. I wasn't too sure if I should appraise him of my background in international driving about which I have laboured long in Part 5 of my epic story.Lest he should harbour any false expecations, I decided to reply in the negative.

"Ashiq BanayaaAAaa.., Ashiq BanayaaAAaa..'' crooned Reshmiya soulfully from the speakers of a passing auto rickshaw. Syd's face instantly brightned up and a faint trace of a smile of approval played on his lips. He sure understood music.

"Shall we start?" he asked me with the authoratative tone of those with long experience in the teaching profession.
Roameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 00:59   #47
BHPian

Part 7
Rules of the Game

During the course of a fortnight, I could not gather any reliable proof of my instructor's musical skills, nor could I gather enough courage to
ask him if could trace his ancestory back to Cambridge. However, I am prepared to vouch that he proved to be an extremely patient and able
teacher, more so considering the profile of the student presently put under his care.It seemed that apart from the resemblance, he had
nothing else in common with Syd Barret. There wasn't a single display of tantrums nor any hint of erratic behaviour attributed to the English
icon. In fact, our Indian Barret was as cool as a Shimoga cucumber.

This in itself was sufficient for me to conclude that my guru was a thorough bred son of the soil.The last trace of doubt disappeared when
I initiated a detailed web search but did not come up with any bit of information on whether Syd ever visited our country dead or alive. Here
was living proof that one should not judge people by their looks alone.

Without further subjecting my dear readers to my wavered ramblings, I will now come to the crux of the matter.

At the end of a week or so, under the watchful eyes of my instructor and his able guidance, I was able to gain considerable expertise in
executing the following basic skills and heed the golden rules of driving on our silicon valley roads:

1)Set the car in motion after a couple of attempts
2)Slow down or increase speed without depending on traffic conditions
3)Remember to put on the indicators correctly before navigating corners
4)Use the indicators to prevent vehicle behind from overtaking
5)Avoid most potholes
6)Go very slowly over road humps i.e,if I managed to glimplse one in the nick of time.
7)Always be on extra alert at the very sight of auto rickshaws
8)Keep honking even if nobody is in sight
9)Bring the car to a more or less smooth stop.

It took the rest of the course days to master these:
10)Avoid sudden application of breaks if confronted with cow,dog,camel.
11)Not to jump signals (except when in great hurry).

Inspite of his great experience and best efforts, my instructor found it particularly challenging to teach me a couple of things.

One was the art of driving in reverse.

With the reader's permission, I would now like to take leave and retire for the night.

Tomorrow, I will elaborate in detail on how I overcame the few remaining challenges including 'the art of driving in reverse' that stood in my way towards legally obtaining a driving licence.

Good Night.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th September 2009 at 23:47. Reason: Readability, please preview while copying from external font editor, Thanks
Old 17th September 2009, 09:27   #48
BHPian

7)Always be on extra alert at the very sight of auto rickshaws

He he, i have begun to curse myself for buying my dream car i.e contessa classic. The other day while driving, i was slow and on left corner of the road to allow vehicles behind me to pass over my huge car with ease. Inspite of this a auto rickshaw hit my car on the back. His version? i was driving slow. if this was not sufficient he asked me to pay for the repair cost(his auto was banged up in the front even though he hit at approx 20kms/hr). I managed to scare him away by saying "it was you who it me, now lets go to police station"...
Sudhindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 09:53   #49
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roameo View Post

Syd Barret
Attachment 192698

Attachment 192699

I wasn't too sure if I should appraise him of my background in international driving about which I have ....
Hahaha, hilarious, this is one entertaining read!
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 11:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"I am Hanumanthu "
"Ashiq BanayaaAAaa.., Ashiq BanayaaAAaa..'' crooned Reshmiya soulfully from the speakers of a passing auto rickshaw.
ROTFLOL ... So nice.
This has to be one of the best ever into in the forum.
So hilarious, true & also beautiful.
Storyteller please continue your story.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 16:11   #51
BHPian

Hi Roameo,

Welcome to team-bhp, am sure you'll have a blast.

This is one of the most entertaining intro's I've ever read, on any board, congrats.
mwzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 18:43   #52
BHPian

Roameo,
I am sure you will rock here. Welcome home. This is THE best introduction I have ever read.
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 20:21   #53
BHPian

Dear Readers,

Thank you for keeping my company in this story all this while. It is your support and encouragement that fuel my insipartion and spur me on.

I am now spinning the yarn and will be ready with the next piece before long.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:25   #54
Joy
BHPian

Can't believe I missed this piece of art so...o long. Great writing skill. You should write in magazines.

Welcome to team-bhp, Roameo. Waiting for the remaining part. post as soon as possible. I think this is one of the best intro, I have read here.

Last edited by Joy : 17th September 2009 at 20:27.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 23:35   #55
BHPian

Part 8
Reverse Engineering

My instructor'Hanu' seemed to attach great importance to driving in reverse. He insisted on decicating 20 minutes every day to put me through this grind. I tried on several occasions to convince him that this skill need not be practiced with such military rigour on a daily basis.
To the best of my understanding, the main intention of driving was to keep the vehicle in forward motion most of the time so one may reach the destination, and not drive backwards to get back to where one started from. While the maneuver may sometimes come handy to park the car, I
failed to understand the need to devote such intense labour and time in its pursuit.

There is a particular strech of road next to a pretty,little park in Jayanagar 5th block that Hanu had earmarked for my routine reversing drills. If readers were ask me the reason for Hanu's choice of this specific location for the purpose, I can only plead ignorance. Perhaps the park with its rich flora and fauna held a deeper significance and symbolic meaning for him.

In a few days I got better acquainted with the exact location of the Jayanagar blocks and its labyrinth of bylanes. Within seconds of our traning vehicle approaching the 'Reverse Zone', tiny sensors located in the extreme depths of my heart would be spammed with alert messages dispatched by the guardian of my sixth sense. I invite my good readers to make an effort to recall their 'Fresher' days in college and imagine the extreme discomfort and agitation this Newbie would have experienced at the impeding prospect of going backwards for the next 20 minutes.

Here I would like to assure all of you that when the drill was in progress, I earnestly did try to look backwards like the little possessed girl in the motion picture 'The Exorcist'.But unfortunately, human physiology does not permit such a positioning of the head. In addition to some serious motoring and off roading,BHPians who are also studying or practicing the Medical Sciences with equal seriousness would probably be best experts in providing us a detailed scientific explanation on why nature has engineered the human body insufficiently for reverse driving.

To Hanu's credit, after I was finally done with the driving lessons, his efforts paid off big time. At the driving test, I managed somehow to successfully drive in reverse without causing harm to man or beast, nor any damage to any telephone pole.

During the first few months of having a new car,whenever I visited the Jayanagar 4th block complex , Spar ot the Forum Mall, many car owners in the city must have deeply regreted parking their vehicle next to mine. Perhaps some of them were BHPians.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th September 2009 at 23:43. Reason: Do a preview before posting while copy pasting from external font editor. Thanks
Old 18th September 2009, 09:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

This has to be a first?

Someone posting their Learners experience

Quote:
"Ashiq BanayaaAAaa.., Ashiq BanayaaAAaa..'' crooned Reshmiya soulfully from the speakers of a passing auto rickshaw. Syd's face instantly brightned up and a faint trace of a smile of approval played on his lips. He sure understood music.
This was hilarious. Syd Baret must be rolling in his grave right now.

Interesting reading Sir. I am hooked.

Part 9 please!

Also do mention Sonnys age, just for us to visualize the Father Son car talks.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 11:01   #57
BHPian

Great Intro and nice style of writing catching the viewer's interest. Im very curious to see what car you ended up with after reading your experiences so far.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 11:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:

My instructor 'Hanu' seemed to attach great importance to driving in reverse.

Hmmm..... that seems to be an excellent sketch .. what do we have here? A prolific writer and a police artist? Man, you seem to be adept with your hands as with your words..... (couple of typos creeping up - to immersed in your tale, eh?)

I had been away yesterday - a road trip - may be I'll post some pictures today, and hopefully a scoop, too!! But I really missed the daily dose of this tale!!

Reminds me of my own driving class - my instructor used to spend 10 minutes of the allotted 30 minutes in getting the car parked straight - arrow straight! I may have passed the driving test and got my licence, but I haven't passed his high standards in parking!

Miss the aroma of the morning coffee! Your digressions were lively - so please do pepper a few in between!!
vrprabhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 12:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Vishy...Never imagned you were so good with words.Keep it revving here !!!
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 13:36   #60
BHPian

Thank you once again every one for you encouraging words.

Hi Prabhu mam,

[quote=vrprabhu;1489252]Hmmm..... that seems to be an excellent sketch .. ..... (couple of typos creeping up - to immersed in your tale, eh?)

It wasn't I did who did the sketch. Only borrowed it from some unknown artist. Bless him!

Sometimes you simply miss on obvious errors even after checking a couple of times. Will proofread my text a third time and do a spell check before posting.