Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th February 2010, 23:52   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Congratulation in advance, Nikhil! But why 'V'? Heard you mentioned somewhere about the 90K price difference hard to swallow for fog lights, leather seats and cruise control.. Any freebies/discount?
There is a 90k price difference. We got a discount of 20k.

So, price difference came down to 70k.

Magnum Honda didnt have S M/T in stock. By the time it arrived, the budget would have been announced and prices are expected to go up by 40-50k. So, we would be paying only 20k lesser for the S. And we meant to add fog lamps anyway which came to about 20k.

So, we decided we could live with the leather and cruise control.

The main problem with the V variant is that the leather isnt too good IMO. This was the ONLY reason I was pushing my dad for the S. I told him we can do without the bling stuff like Chrome on the handles, chrome strip, indicators on the ORVM, cruise control.

Anyway, Magnum had V M/T in ready stock so we agreed. Cheque and papers are ready in 10 mins and then salesman comes across one of the most exhaustive PDIs in his career!

@Csateesh -- Thanks a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonwheels View Post
Congrats! Nikhil on the new buy. Looks very good in white. Civic IMO has the best-in-class interiors and I'm sure you'll enjoy driving as well as being chauffered in this car. Honda reliability should surely keep you tension free for a long time to come

Definitely! The ride comfort in this is fantastic! We thought the NHC was good, but this is way better! It's also good fun to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Hi Nikhil,
Congrats on the new purchase. I think it was a very well considered logical decision. AFAIK, the Civic is a good choice which gives almost everything except GC.
Umm, by the way, Why the"V" version instead of a "S" plus after purchases upgrade?
GC doesnt seem to be an issue. Coming back from Magnum Honda, it was 4 of us in the car and we arent what you would call a slim family, but we didnt even touch a single speedbreaker and there are some big ones on our route.

The suspension definitely feels stiffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Congratulations big man! Wise choice! Wish you many many miles of laughter, straights, corners and happiness!

Looking forward to your initial ownership review!
Thanks man!

When we picked the car up, it had 11 kms on the odo. By the time I was done for the day, it had 57. Out of the 46 kms, 44 were driven by me
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 14:46   #92
BHPian

Hey Nikhil, congrats. Looking forward to your ownership thread!

V's leather is a bit hard (compared to Altis), it may not feel so comfortable. However, its quite durable IMO. Had checked a few old (~2 years) Civic-V's and the leather still felt good (and some were without sun-films).

Regarding Laura-TSI, I'm curious and excited to TD it. Does it really rev freely like typical Hondas ? Me somehow thinks that one may feel so, mainly due to super low-end torque, so one doesn't need to really rev hard. Whats the red-line on the TSI?
mkc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 15:12   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Oh, and do keep in mind that the Auto tranny is rubbish! The paddles are very slow and irritating. They don't give you that 'feel' that you might expect. The traditional 5-speed manual is a much better bet! The mileage that the manual delivers is better too!
Hey Suhaas, AT isn't so bad. Yes, it feels sluggish compared to MT or DSG-AT, but its one of the best ATs around in that segment (IMHO ofcourse). Paddles do give excellent feel, though there is a bit of a lag, but mostly unnoticeable. I feel a slight lag occasionally during hard acceleration. I'm not sure if this is due to the upgraded firmware in Civic face-lift.

BTW, changing gears in the MT would be slower than the paddles, but since MT is quicker(mechanical coupling vs. fluid coupling) you dont really feel it. Its not the paddles that lack the feel, its the tranny itself which is relatively sluggish.
mkc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 15:12   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont remember the TSI's redline, but I will comprehensively declare that it revs better than anything south of 20 lakhs in India.

I've driven my dad's NHC ZX Vtec which has a beautifully revving 1.5l engine. Honestly, this engine revs better and more freely than the Civic's 1.8.

The TSI is waaaay better than even this.

You need to drive it to believe it!
Old 26th February 2010, 15:17   #95
BHPian

sorry, you could have gone for some other car. except for the looks this is not a great car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Tada!

Attachment 294946

Attachment 294947

Attachment 294949

Attachment 294952

Delivery tomorrow evening or Friday morning.

That sales exec came to my dad's office and within 10 mins had the cheque, papers, etc... He must have been thinking, "Oh boy! A quick sale!".

But then, I arrived at the showroom with a loong checklist!

I was initially shown another car which was manufactured later but didnt like it due to minor dirt particles which were very hard to remove. There was a tiny tiny tiny scratch as well. To be honest, nothing to complain about, but I was just being silly.

I agreed anyway as they promised to clean it properly. That tiny tiny scratch was invisible unless you pressed hard and kinda widened the gap between two panels.

I told the sales exec that when they give the car, it should be in the condition of the car on display in the showroom.

A few mins later, he said, "Sir, we'll give you this only".

Agreed and made a note of the VIn no and Engine no.
Malikayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 15:36   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, that is your opinion. When you buy a car, you can go for something else.
Old 26th February 2010, 19:30   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Hey Suhaas, AT isn't so bad. Yes, it feels sluggish compared to MT or DSG-AT, but its one of the best ATs around in that segment (IMHO ofcourse). Paddles do give excellent feel, though there is a bit of a lag, but mostly unnoticeable. I feel a slight lag occasionally during hard acceleration. I'm not sure if this is due to the upgraded firmware in Civic face-lift.

BTW, changing gears in the MT would be slower than the paddles, but since MT is quicker(mechanical coupling vs. fluid coupling) you dont really feel it. Its not the paddles that lack the feel, its the tranny itself which is relatively sluggish.
I guess I hadn't worded my post that well. You're absolutely right! It's all about the lack of feel and the tacky-ness of the paddles that made me feel that way. The MT would definitely be slower than the AT but when you're swapping cogs via the paddles on the AT, you'd want an instant change and a responsive feel that the AT understandably lacks. Heck, it's not a F! car or a 430 Scuderia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I've driven my dad's NHC ZX Vtec which has a beautifully revving 1.5l engine. Honestly, this engine revs better and more freely than the Civic's 1.8.

The Civic's 1.8 mill doesn't rev as freely as some other Honda cars. Nothing can be compared to the OHC's free revving 1.5 vtec mill though! Nothing like the older Honda mills IMO!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote