Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 11:31   #391
BHPian

Fiesta SXI Moondust Silver - Completed 6000 Kms

Guys, completed 6K on ODO in exactly 100 days (19/Dec/2009 - 29/Mar/2010)

Touchwood, no issues so far. Last 600 Kms entirely in city with FE appx 8.5-9.0 (50% full load, 100% AC, 30 psi in all tyres)

ODO reached 6000. Note the DTE 58 with fuel warning lamp on

Ignition Switched off. Immobiliser indicator (red blinking light on)

Couple of hrs later ignition switched on. Magically, the DTE jumps to 84 from 58 after 2 hrs of rest..fuel warning indicator off.

Last edited by sanjayc : 30th March 2010 at 11:37.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:51   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Guys, completed 6K on ODO in exactly 100 days (19/Dec/2009 - 29/Mar/2010)

Touchwood, no issues so far. Last 600 Kms entirely in city with FE appx 8.5-9.0 (50% full load, 100% AC, 30 psi in all tyres)

ODO reached 6000. Note the DTE 58 with fuel warning lamp on

Ignition Switched off. Immobiliser indicator (red blinking light on)

Couple of hrs later ignition switched on. Magically, the DTE jumps to 84 from 58 after 2 hrs of rest..fuel warning indicator off.
+

sanjay - not able to view the photographs
seems not properly loaded - try again please!
Old 30th March 2010, 12:22   #393
BHPian

Here are the pictures..not sure why it vanished, it showed up correctly when I previewed & final posting was done.
Attached Thumbnails
My new black Ford Fiesta-6000_1.jpg  

My new black Ford Fiesta-6000_2.jpg  

My new black Ford Fiesta-6000_3.jpg  

Old 30th March 2010, 12:44   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happens with me all the times. Yesterday I did a tank full and the DTE showed 622. When I switched on the ignition today morning the DTE read 489 when only 39 kms was travelled. Also the analog fuel indicator showed 3/4 full as against 100% yesterday. A sudden drop of 133 kms and I was like.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:49   #395
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys checked what the cause of this issue is. As this seems to be the cause with the Fiesta's, the company may have messed up on some points.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:09   #396
Senior - BHPian

My DTE used to be fairly accurate until I messed it up with the tire pressure changes. Even I get large variations during the current cycle. I hope it settles down again after the next tankful.

sanjay: can you post some night time photos of the illuminated instrument panel? I have a feeling that the S has a different kind of lighting system so I wanted to confirm. There appears to be some subtle differences in the panel finishing as well.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:38   #397
BHPian

Gilead@, my DTE is fairly accurate as well. When the ignition is started (post some rest), it gives a higher reading always but within a few minutes while driving, it adjusts itself to a more realistic value, depending upon the current driving conditions and past history. Yours should become steady after a few of tankfull...it is still recovering from MMSC shock I guess.

Will upload the illuminated pictures today night.

The point of posting the pictures was to highlight to Nairji that fuel warning lamp is programmed to light up as soon as DTE=80.

Based on my past experience, I am sure to cover 380kms before my next fill. Which means I would be getting 380/42=9.05 (assuming total capacity is 45 and appx 3 litres cannot be used - correct me if I am wrong). Last time I did a tank fill of 41.4 litres till the second cut-off which gave me FE of 9.2.

Bottomline is, no matter how it is driven (except racing), 8.5 to 9 can be squeezed out. Post my return from MMSC, I like shifting gears in the 2400-2500 range mostly. Occasionally, take it upto 3000 rpm at each gear level and keep it there for a few seconds. Only thing which I religiously avoid is clutch riding as far as possible.

I do have a designated Indian Oil pump where I fill up and check my tyre pressure.
So guys who are getting below 8, should experiment with different bunks, system G, tyre pressure etc.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:03   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Based on my past experience, I am sure to cover 380kms before my next fill. Which means I would be getting 380/42=9.05 (assuming total capacity is 45 and appx 3 litres cannot be used - correct me if I am wrong). Last time I did a tank fill of 41.4 litres till the second cut-off which gave me FE of 9.2.

Bottomline is, no matter how it is driven (except racing), 8.5 to 9 can be squeezed out. Post my return from MMSC, I like shifting gears in the 2400-2500 range mostly. Occasionally, take it upto 3000 rpm at each gear level and keep it there for a few seconds. Only thing which I religiously avoid is clutch riding as far as possible.

I do have a designated Indian Oil pump where I fill up and check my tyre pressure.
So guys who are getting below 8, should experiment with different bunks, system G, tyre pressure etc.
I have a question:
If 380 KM is being normally covered between 2 subsequent tank fills, I think you should divide it by 45 litre as the 3 unused litre will be present even before the 1st tank fill (and in fact during every tank fills). Am I correct?

The STE is indeed strange. When I filled the tank 2 days back, it showed 360. Today it was constantly showing 340 (with trip meter showing 51) which makes a total of 390. Already it increased by 30. May be I am driving carefully.

The car is 800 KM old. Should I start using System G?
Old 30th March 2010, 18:25   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
I have a question:
If 380 KM is being normally covered between 2 subsequent tank fills, I think you should divide it by 45 litre as the 3 unused litre will be present even before the 1st tank fill (and in fact during every tank fills). Am I correct?
I was expecting someone to point out this..but till I actually do the next tankfull and get the exact amount of fuel going in, my best estimate is 42litres. Last time I did a tank full, the DTE was below 20, analog needle was almost touching the left of the red line, and till 2nd auto-cutoff, only 41.4 litres was pumped in. I normally do not engage in shaking the vehicle and pump in some more fuel. Since I am planning to do a refuelling at around the same point of DTE<20, I took the figure of 42.

Moreover, is it correct that some 2-3 litres of fuel always remain in the tank and cannot be practically used. If that is true, I guess the DTE algorithm should be taking care of this fact and the FE must be getting calculated based on how much fuel can really be used.

***Maybe others can pitch in here with figures of max fuel pumped in at any one time***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh
The car is 800 KM old. Should I start using System G?
You mean 800KM new;-} Nairji's thread is still "My new black ford fiesta" even after 6 months...

What has SystemG got to do with 800Kms? Nothing mentioned in the manual as such. Moreover, I did a 800 Km up/down trip to BLR when my vehicle was new (to complete the 1000Kms mythical "run-in" suggestions)..From the point of driving characteristics, I do not find any perceptible difference in power/pickup/handling when the vehicle completed 100 Kms or 6000 Kms. But hey, let's follow the herd and be on the safer side..try it during the next tankfill.

Last edited by sanjayc : 30th March 2010 at 18:27.
Old 31st March 2010, 07:09   #400
BHPian

These are the pictures of the illuminated ODO. Any difference anyone notices with their own ODOs?

Just started the ignition. Notice the initial high idle RPM~1100

Drove around 10Kms. The idle RPM is ~900 and temp~100..is it the same on yours?

Also, from both the pictures I notice the red illumination on the top of rpm needle tip..which I did not notice while driving..not sure it is some kind of reflection or what!
Old 31st March 2010, 07:40   #401
Senior - BHPian

@sanjayc

The pictures are again not visible. Maybe has to do with the size or format. Can you please re load it again.
I normally get a DTE of 600 approx whenever I do the tank full but I religiously get the tank filled the moment the fuel empty illumination happens which means there is still around 5 ltrs atleast left in the tank I presume. When I get the tank filled it takes a maximum of 39 ltrs for a tank full which is OK.
I drive around 540+/- kms before the next tank fill which means I should be getting around 14 kmpl as it mostly more of highway drive and less of city drive. I feek changing gears at 2K rpm would be ideal and I also make it a point to downshift from 5th to 4th whenever I am at 40-45 kmph.
I have written to Ford customer care regardiing the DTE values fluctuations lets see what they reply.
Old 31st March 2010, 07:57   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@sanjayc

The pictures are again not visible. Maybe has to do with the size or format. Can you please re load it again.
This is weird. It is visible when I post but after sometime it vanishes.

Sorry Nairji for scr**** up your thread like this.

Can someone explain how to caption each picture. EDIT: Ok, seems like got the idea how to position the pictures with headings/titles/caption.

Anyway, attaching again.

Just started the ignition. Notice the initial high idle RPM~1100
My new black Ford Fiesta-odo_b.jpg

Drove around 10Kms. The idle RPM is ~900 and temp~100..is it the same on yours?
My new black Ford Fiesta-odo_c.jpg

Last edited by sanjayc : 31st March 2010 at 08:04.
Old 31st March 2010, 09:29   #403
Senior - BHPian

The DTE reading in my car was always correct except the first time fuelling.
Also the fuel warning lamp comes up as soon as the DTE touches 80/81km.

@sanjay
the idle RPM and temp reading is same in my car also.

Last edited by nairrk : 31st March 2010 at 09:30. Reason: correction
Old 1st April 2010, 14:58   #404
Senior - BHPian

Sanju, the idle RPM and the changes after some drive is normal. I had the same doubt on the first week I took delivery. You need to worry only if the idle RPM shows above 1.5 mark (which shows a need for tuning). Hope you are also aware that our MPFI cars can move (below 10kmph I think) on the 1st gear and 2nd gear without touching the accelerator pedal.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:16   #405
BHPian

DTE on my car went kaput after one year.dealer not able to fix it.now even a tankup moves the needle up 75%.lots of fiestas have same problems.not bothered about it now as regularly fill uo every 500ks.

Most Viewed