Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th November 2009, 13:21   #16
BHPian

@HillyBilly - congrats on your new ride! Drive Safe! Thanks for your inputs.

@4x4addict & ACM - Its' my past Ford experience which is making the scale tilt in favour of Ford.

However, what would really help me is the info/visibility of proposed launch of Endy's new model.
AlokSriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 14:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats HillyBilly. I really like your handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post
d) I'm not too keen about the sticker on the sides. Looks cheap as it says 5 speed automatic!! like the days when you had cars that said "AC No hand signal" on the rear!!
Please remove that sticker right away.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 15:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Alok Sriva

Yep the Ford has more features but then a reverse camera and SATNAV - can be added later to Frotuner (which has better rear visibility anyways - w/o the camera tool.) But one cannot add climate control, stearing mounted contols to the Endy later.
I presume that if the Fortuner were to have EBD, two extra airbags, a 2 DIN Kenwood with Mapmyindia Satvav, Bluetooth, rear camera, Roof mounted DVD and 5 speed auto tranny, the price would be bumped up by atleast another 1 lac over the current price.

The fact that Ford did not offer me a single rupee discount even though I am elegible for an Employee - Friends & Family scheme and that they refused to pay the bank who gave me the loan the Rs. 3800 DST (something like a commission I think), goes to say that Ford is not making much money on this model. So all you guys who want to buy the Endy 4x4 AT buy it now...as they may have to raise the prices soon to keep the people like dealers and the others in between happy.

My on-road price in Noida was Rs. 19.7 Lacs as I chose to use my own insurer rather than the Ford preferential insurer.
HillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 15:50   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
@HillyBilly - congrats on your new ride! Drive Safe! Thanks for your inputs.

@4x4addict & ACM - Its' my past Ford experience which is making the scale tilt in favour of Ford.

However, what would really help me is the info/visibility of proposed launch of Endy's new model.
There are two quotes - take your pick:

1) If it an't broken dont fix it: as in happy with ford stick to it.
2) We have one life to life: or Variety is the spice or life: go for a change try the Toyota. You would not know which one is better without actually trying out both. So it should now be the turn of toyota.

Seriously - once again take a new test drive with another dealier for both and then decide based on overall experience this time. go for the heart call.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 16:37   #20
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@simpleSunny:

Endy with MT is available only with the 2.5 Liter engine and 2WD. I think this is a silly strategy by ford as they could offer a 3.) manual 4x4 about a lakh cheaper than the AT at about 17 lakhs and that would have been an very good package.
That is actually a sad thing.

I guess the reason for that is that the Endy is basically the ASEAN spec. Everest and those are the variants there too.

Those markets do not have a 3.0l Manual (maybe because premium segment prefers Auto), so developing it only for India, may not be economically viable!

Given India's preference for Manual, and the resulting price reduction would have made it very popular I am sure.

But then again, they say that in that price segment, people have a growing acceptance for Auto!
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 17:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
There are two quotes - take your pick:

1) If it an't broken dont fix it: as in happy with ford stick to it.
2) We have one life to life: or Variety is the spice or life: go for a change try the Toyota. You would not know which one is better without actually trying out both. So it should now be the turn of toyota.

Seriously - once again take a new test drive with another dealier for both and then decide based on overall experience this time. go for the heart call.
Very well said mate - the 2 quotes I am referring to!

Of course, one can not go wrong with a Toyota - a widely accepted fact. But with a not-so-confidence-inspiring breaking capabilities, lack of creature comforts despite spending in excess of 20-odd big ones, smaller lever sticking out like a sore thumb, somehow I am unable to sell a Fortuner to myself. Having said this, I still respect Toyota as a brand.
AlokSriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post
Having said that the Bluetooth works like a charm with my Sony P1i phone, although I do not seem to be able to access my phonebook for some reason.
The phonebook will only work when the endy is parked, autobox is in P and the Handbrake is engaged. This is also the position required for the "Direct Number" dialiing to work. I've paired it with a Blackberry 8520 and that is how it works for me.

Fore_Runner
Fore_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 13:16   #23
BHPian

Default Engine Braking - 3.0 4x4AT

This car seriously needs Hill Descent Control. I find myself having to hit the brakes continuously. i.e If you are going down a really steep slope, even if you have shifted in to one of the low ratios, you will have to hit the brakes a lot more often than in a manual transmission.

Another problem I find is that if you are on a highway and are at 120 kmph in Drive "D" mode and if you want to suddenly brake hard (and the Endy does have brilliant brakes...Thank God!) so as to come down to about 50kmph, the engine rpm falls too rapidly to 750rpm (idle speed). So when you release the brakes, it's into a freewheeling type of situation. I have to tickle the accelerator to engage a gear! Takes some getting used to.

Slight speed correction while judging an overtaking maneuver on the highway is also best attempted by clicking on the "overdrive off" switch on the side of the shifter. This offers better engine braking control in an out of most high speed highway situations thus making me depend less on the brakes. I am not sure if this will ruin the auto box, but who cares! Human lives are more precious!
Old 11th May 2010, 14:16   #24
Team-BHP Support

^^ With OD off the gearbox will not shift the 5th gear, its a wise move to keep OD off for rapid overtaking.

The AutoBox in Endeavour is not very well sorted out, firstly it shifts to D without pressing the brake pedal and then it one needs to reduce the pressure on Accelerator to make it upshift at times. I found this gearbox unnecessarily holding gear on highway even with light accelerator input.

I just checked for the braking data from ACI, the Endy actually takes more distance(32m) to stop for 80kph compared to the poorly rated Fortuner (28m, pre-upgrade). Its only that the Endeavour has better brake pedal feel which does not feel spongy unlike the Fortuner.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 15:11   #25
BHPian

[quote=.anshuman;1879868]
The AutoBox in Endeavour is not very well sorted out, firstly it shifts to D without pressing the brake pedal

I remember reading something in the manual about rocking the vehicle in the even the vehicle gets stuck. I guess it is the method by which you can rapidly shift between R & D to get it out of a spot of bother.

If the brake had to be depressed to move it into D, I guess this rocking technique would not be possible would it?