Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 27th October 2009, 00:50   #376
Senior - BHPian

meh...

I could care less about any TATA design...and this 'new entrant', its just plain BLAND.

if cars were geeks, this one would be on the merit list.

Old 27th October 2009, 01:26   #377
BHPian

I got a chance to check out the car earlier today and in plain words, it looks horrible. Sure this is Tata's best effort and the interior is quite spacious for a mid-segment car but the exterior looks completely out of proportions and mismatched. It seems that Tata (or whoever designed this car) grafted two different designs in front of the A and behind the C pillars. And no alloys? Come on Tata, this ain't 1983. Overall, it doesn't get the Fugly award ahead of the DZire (I sat in one last week, oh the horror!!) but I think most educated buyers would choose a Verna, Linea or Fiesta instead.
Old 27th October 2009, 05:14   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
And no alloys? Come on Tata, this ain't 1983. Overall, it doesn't get the Fugly award ahead of the DZire (I sat in one last week, oh the horror!!)
One reason could be the prevalence of after market alloys which match the manufacturer in quality and beats it in variety. Especially in 'fence sitting' segments some customers might simple like to buy one which they like.
Old 27th October 2009, 05:48   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... but I think most educated buyers would choose a Verna, Linea or Fiesta instead.
Don't want to quote you out of context, but, this surely takes the cake. Makes me wonder whether teambhp should start having Entrance Exams .

Quote:
Come on Tata, this ain't 1983
Were you trying to refer to 1984 (as in the George Orwell classic) ? In some twisted way were you trying to suggest that Tata is trying to dictate what people buy ?

The car doesn't look handsome, I agree with that. But surely, it doesn't deserve to be lambasted like that. In my opinion, it looks better than the previous generation Honda City (supposedly the car from which the Manza borrowed it's proportions). While Tata is no Honda at engineering, they do define VFM and some "educated" customers would actually choose the Manza over the cars you have mentioned.
Old 27th October 2009, 06:40   #380
BHPian

Agree that Manza, Dzire and Xylo are all VFM and practical but all three are ugly and should be nominated for the world's ugliest cars awards.
Old 27th October 2009, 07:32   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Don't want to quote you out of context, but, this surely takes the cake. Makes me wonder whether teambhp should start having Entrance Exams .
Seriously. I agree

This car as far as I have seen is a stunning VFM.
Old 27th October 2009, 08:29   #382
Senior - BHPian

Smile

I had enquired about the car duing my trip to Tata motor showroom in Thane. The guys there had the nerve of asking me to book the car inspite of none available for test drive. The reasoning given was the car would be deilvered within 3 weeks but the test vehicle would come after 4 weeks???? Can you imagine that. A stern look was enough to silence the sheepish looking exec. Later the exec told that tata's themselves have not authorized the dealers for test drive. Guess the tata's must be playing the suspense game, hope they dont fall fall flat.
The car is huge, a totally VFM as voiced by other BHPians. The rear looks OK except I thing was the rear lights extending on the rear body which I felt was of no use as far as visbility was concerned. The boot is huge. The front looks some what similar to Maruti's SX4. The plastics inside tell a similar Tata story.
The price list shown by exec was different from the website prices. I think the roads need to brace themselves for Manza onslaught.
Old 27th October 2009, 09:15   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Agree that Manza, Dzire and Xylo are all VFM and practical but all three are ugly and should be nominated for the world's ugliest cars awards.
Add Maruti Ritz, A-star & Zen estillo to the list.

Btw I own a Maruti
Old 27th October 2009, 09:45   #384
BANNED

guys, can we get back to manza's real story to speak rather then its looks.Has someone TD diesel so far, and if so hows feedback with ABS do share.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:05   #385
BHPian

Quote:
The price list shown by exec was different from the website prices. I think the roads need to brace themselves for Manza onslaught.
Was it more or less than the prices quoted on the site? I am assuming that prices in Mumbai would be slightly more than Thane (OTR)
Old 27th October 2009, 10:50   #386
BHPian

Visited Tata showroom yesterday. As I had said the showroom owner is my batch mate. He said he can get the car delivered within 10 days(through the first lot). In a small town like mine he had 18 bookings.

Dad wants a Satin gold and I want to go for BLACK. Not sure whether to ask for discounts. Petrol ABS OTR IS 6,22,300 approx.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:23   #387
BHPian

[quote=khan75;1550585]I got a chance to check out the car earlier today and in plain words, it looks horrible. Sure this is Tata's best effort and the interior is quite spacious for a mid-segment car but the exterior looks completely out of proportions and mismatched.

The proportions of Icon are also not inline. But still the Car was Succesful for its Engine.

The Owner spends most of the time inside the Car. So, enjoy the space.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:27   #388
Senior - BHPian

I visited TATA showroom yesterday. Aim was to compare Linea and Manza. I too felt Manza has a clear advanatge interms of pricing and features. On styling front Linea wins handsdown. Interior plastics too, Linea is better. Boot space is 500 litres comapred to Manza's 460 litres. Apart from this every thing else goes in favour of Manza. Interior space and rear leg room is the big plus point for manza.
Above all this is 2 lakhs chepaer than Linea with similar features...and thats a big money!

P.S- My wife fell in love with huge dimensions of this car. She said Manza has a richer feel than Linea. When i spoke about interior plastic quality, paint quality and all she rubbished it as she didnt find any visible difference! Expect more housewifes to join Manza bandwagon as they think size of the car deteremines status symbol and if it comes cheap nothig like it!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 27th October 2009 at 11:29.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:33   #389
BHPian

Going through this thread, here are my observations :

1. Whether TATA has improved from the "107" Indica to the current Manza, no debate on that one. But is it acceptable and palatable to the customer who would finally pay for it remains to be seen. I believe that if Taxiwallahs can buy the car for being cheap to run and maintain and use it to earn their livelihood, enough said - thats testimonial enough.

2. Aesthetics - one department Tata really needs to work on - By this, I do not mean look of the components, I am referring to the tactile feel. In this thread, there was a picture of Manza Vs Linea interiors where it was mentioned Tata looks better, Agreed. Look at the build quality of both and tell me which one you would still prefer once your car is four year old.

Quality of rubber/plastic used in the car has always been a chink in the armour for Tata Vehicles. So were electrical gremlins. They have improved significantly with the Manza, but is yet to be on par with competition. Quality of interiors makes me draw a comparison to Chinese mobiles flooding the market, they give you everything for 3000 INR, but how well these will work after a month or two of owning the phone remains to be seen. But a Rs. 3000 Nokia will have absolutely nothing, yet will continue to work well after 3-4 years of abuse.

3. What matters is what you want and how much are you willing to pay for the services? Maybe two years back I would have closed my eyes and gone straight for the Manza, but now I know better. Now I would want something that will not rattle after 2-3 years, I wont have to keep changing parts day in and day out (An Indigo Marina GLX and two Tata Safaris worth of experience) and do not have to visit the service station every week. (Tata engines are very reliable, its everywhere else that they have a problem). I would not compare it to the Linea because though its a much "better" car that way, the same idiots at TASS will service your car. I will rather get a car which gives me peace of mind. The notional value of times spent without a car, cannot be measured and works out much cheaper to get a car without any headache.

I am not a Tata beater, I love Tata vehicles for the amount of car they give you for your money. But then, now I have changed to Give me one car, if need be less car, but make sure it works. Pathetic *** across the country (I have experience with Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Guwahati and Baroda) which might be representative of South, West, North and East - and have one word for it, They are bad, dont know their job and overcharge. Plus you Vs Tata, a very lopsided power equation to fight a battle. Effectively, you pay pretty much the same over the time period of ownership.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:04   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Plastics inside looks cheap even though the fit and finish is better than Indigo.
The looks again is very subjective. When you say plastics looking cheap, in comparison to Linea (as you had both side by side), the Linea interiors also look quite cheap with such a huge price tag associated. In fact I test drove a Linea Dynamic MJD few days back, which was hardly 10 months old as per the sales person and I was unable to use the AC vent slider because the handle was broken. Color wise the blackish colour of Linea gives a congested feel than the lighter interior shade of Manza.

Last edited by Dippy : 27th October 2009 at 12:51. Reason: Please avoid typing your entire post in bold. Thanks.
Closed Thread