Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th January 2010, 11:20   #136
BHPian

Default First Service Report

On 15 Jan, my Linea completed 3 months of ownership and was due for the first mandatory service. Kochi has two Fiat dealers, RF Motors and Concorde Motors. On Fiat website, only Concorde is listed as service dealer in Kochi. So without much alternative and thought, I booked for first servicing a week in advance. The lady on the phone was courteous enough and gave me an appointment for 0900 on 15 Jan. I told her to arrange for a pick up as I was not in a position to drop the car myself. She did that and told me that someone will contact me on 14 Jan PM. I was expected to pay Rs. 150 as pick up charges, to which I agreed. True to the word, Concorde motors made a call on 14th PM and confirmed my requirements. I was told that a driver will be there at my residence by 0830.

On 15 Jan, while sitting in my office, I got a call from the driver that he was waiting at my residence. Speak about punctuality and commitment and here it was on full display. Since my home is only about three kilometers from my Office, went home and handed over the car to driver who made a small inventory of sorts on his card and gave me a counterfoil after signature.

At 1000, I got a call from the service adviser Dinesh. I told him about two things that I wanted done, one was the tightness of boot lid and second being cleaning of AC filter. To my surprise, my Linea was not in the list of cars needing Clutch Slave Cylinder replacement, although she is Jun 09 manufactured. He told me that they do wheel balancing as part of first service and I would have to pay for that. I told him that wheel alignment is part of servicing and is supposed to be free, and to stick to that part alone. I did not feel the need to go for balancing presently and was ready to get it done from a third party if need arose. I was told to pick the car at 5:30 PM, but I told him that I would come only next day morning to collect the car.

On 16 Jan I was at the dealership by 10AM. The customer lounge is nothing to write home about, yet the receptionist was warm and prompt. Dinesh attended to me immediately and ran me through the list of jobs (essential during first service) he had completed. His attitude during the entire conversation was very cheerful and professional. After that he took me to see the car.

I opened the car and saw dirty overall marks on my leather seats. This annoyed me and I asked him to get it cleaned immediately. He almost ran inside and got hold of the 3M detailing guy. He promptly cleaned the seat (only driver's seat was dirty) to my satisfaction.

After that I signed the necessary papers and filled out the customer feedback form. The service adviser told me that someone will contact me from Pune. "Sir if you are happy please give me 10 marks during the call, Dinesh told me. I told him so far I did not find any reason to do anything derogatory so he will receive good marks.

The impression I could make out from the entire episode of my visit to A.S.S was that the dealership was trying hard to achieve better results. Some areas do need improvement, like better customer environment and bringing the vehicle back in spic'n'span condition. In my book, my first service experience rates at 8/10 for Concorde Motors, Kochi.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 14:10   #137
BHPian

That is a good report from Concorde, Cochin. As mentioned by you, they are not at all bothered about the cleanliness. My service advisor was Sibi. I had to visit them twice and both time, I had the same experience of greasy finger prints and dirt in my stock seats (especially the driver seat door pads). Also for me, they had made a dent on left back door of my beauty during my first (3000 KM) service. However, they have acknowledged it and has promised to get it repaired. Problem for me is about leaving the car for 2 days. Also service center is 64 KM away from my place. They do clean the exteriors, but always I used to see greasy finger prints, which the poor service guy used to clean it with his handkerchief. They need to do something to keep the vehicles clean. But they are definitely trying hard to improve all over.
vsarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:43   #138
BHPian

Yes Sarath, although the top level is willing, same enthusiasm has not percolated to the workshop level. The striking thing I found about the entire episode is the positive attitude of the staff. That is what matters I believe, the attitude and the intent.
Old 18th January 2010, 20:00   #139
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kapil for updates.
more testimony of improved TATA FIAT A.S.S.

how car feels after first service?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 21:07   #140
BHPian

You are welcome shenoy. There is no great difference after first service. The car still feels the same as oil has not been changed or topped up. I guess real changes will be evident only after 15k on the odo.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:58   #141
BHPian

Default A Sentimental Adieu

She joined me in Mar 1999. All glimmering a metallic wine red, with "Air Conditioned" emblazoned at the rear. Fresh interiors and a very very secure feel. She was Fiat Uno Diesel. When I bought it, I absolutely had no idea about cars, their features and A.S.S. I bought it purely on hearsay. And was that hearsay correct? She was a pleasure to drive and very helpful to the pocket with fantastic mileage. Thus started a partnership that was to last nearly ten years.

In these ten years, she grew on me and taught me the meaning of words like drive, handling, road manners, sturdiness and overall, reliability. She took me on a number of long drives. She was there when my son was born and took me from Kochi to Jammu and back. Not once in these long journeys did she ever complaint. Handled and drove like a charm. During these drives she taught me the meaning of average speed and how to get the best out of Indian road conditions. I took care of her with bi-annual servicing outings. Oil change every 5K and wheel alignment/balancing every six months. Change of timing belt at the specified interval kept her working in peek condition. All her electricals have never failed till date. It used to amuse me seeing some cars with non-functional brake lights or discolored indicators. My Uno, however, stayed true to her breed and till date maintained almost everything she inherited on the assembly line.

Contrary to popular belief, I never had a problem in getting her serviced or finding spares when I needed. Perhaps I was lucky enough to be driving her in big cities where spares were never a problem. Even when I was in smaller cities, I was able to find competent mechanics who were able to provide for her.

In Oct 2009, I brought home another sibling for her. A Fiat Linea. vocal white. After 10 years of use and non-use, Uno has started showing her age on exteriors. But her heart is still young and I thought it was time to say goodbye to her as keeping and maintaining two cars was turning out to be a tough option. So I started the process of finding a buyer for her. Find I did, through a torrent of inquiries. The deal was settled for 90K and was finalised on 17 Jan 10. She left me for the final time with a new owner. I had a heavy heart and damp eyes when she left. She had carved out a space for her, my Fitty. After she left, I found some consolation as I opened my garage door and saw the sibling standing there, proud and with a promise to lend me the same pleasure and ownership as her elder one.

@Mods. I have added this to my ownership thread as I did not want to start a new thread.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:06   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
She joined me in Mar 1999. All glimmering a metallic wine red, with "Air Conditioned" emblazoned at the rear. Fresh interiors and a very very secure feel. She was Fiat Uno Diesel. When I bought it, I absolutely had no idea about cars, their features and A.S.S. I bought it purely on hearsay. And was that hearsay correct? She was a pleasure to drive and very helpful to the pocket with fantastic mileage. Thus started a partnership that was to last nearly ten years.

In these ten years, she grew on me and taught me the meaning of words like drive, handling, road manners, sturdiness and overall, reliability. She took me on a number of long drives. She was there when my son was born and took me from Kochi to Jammu and back. Not once in these long journeys did she ever complaint. Handled and drove like a charm. During these drives she taught me the meaning of average speed and how to get the best out of Indian road conditions. I took care of her with bi-annual servicing outings. Oil change every 5K and wheel alignment/balancing every six months. Change of timing belt at the specified interval kept her working in peek condition. All her electricals have never failed till date. It used to amuse me seeing some cars with non-functional brake lights or discolored indicators. My Uno, however, stayed true to her breed and till date maintained almost everything she inherited on the assembly line.

Contrary to popular belief, I never had a problem in getting her serviced or finding spares when I needed. Perhaps I was lucky enough to be driving her in big cities where spares were never a problem. Even when I was in smaller cities, I was able to find competent mechanics who were able to provide for her.

In Oct 2009, I brought home another sibling for her. A Fiat Linea. vocal white. After 10 years of use and non-use, Uno has started showing her age on exteriors. But her heart is still young and I thought it was time to say goodbye to her as keeping and maintaining two cars was turning out to be a tough option. So I started the process of finding a buyer for her. Find I did, through a torrent of inquiries. The deal was settled for 90K and was finalised on 17 Jan 10. She left me for the final time with a new owner. I had a heavy heart and damp eyes when she left. She had carved out a space for her, my Fitty. After she left, I found some consolation as I opened my garage door and saw the sibling standing there, proud and with a promise to lend me the same pleasure and ownership as her elder one.

@Mods. I have added this to my ownership thread as I did not want to start a new thread.
Kapil, that's indeed an emotional farewell. Its tough to part with a decade long friendship.

Linea will definetely fill those gaps. Happy days ahead with Linea.
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 10:08   #143
Senior - BHPian

I love the way you have narrated your experience on buying and using the Fiat Uno for the last 10 years.This post reminds me of our Fiat Uno 1.7 S,which we had used for almost 4 years.I should admit the true fact that I have never let me down and I have never faced any problems in the car other than the usual change of spare parts and tire punctures.

But,the car started creating problems on our journey with almost no reason at all.Yup,it we even had 3 punctures during our drive from Calicut to Mookambika and when we visited the tire folks,they couldn't figure out the reasons for the problem and all.May be "Buri Nazar...??

And that's the reason why we sold it off.Being a Hard Core Fiat fan,our next car was Fiat Palio 1.9 with ABS and AirBags and today I find myself happy cruising in Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD

I would love to see the pictures of your old Italian Beauty :-) Please be kind to do so brother.

Meanwhile I am very much confused to choose b/w RF Motors and Concorde Motors for my next service.Brother, can you suggest me which one would be better.?

Happy and Safe Driving..Drive Her Safe

Regards
Amith :-)

Last edited by Klub Class : 19th January 2010 at 10:14. Reason: Added additional contents :-)
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 10:47   #144
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I know your feelings, NutsNBolts, as I had similar feeling when I sold my Maruti Suzuki Omni in 2004, and then, Versa in 2009.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 11:48   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Kapil, that's indeed an emotional farewell. Its tough to part with a decade long friendship.

Linea will definetely fill those gaps. Happy days ahead with Linea.
Yes bnz, it is indeed difficult to not feel thankful and emotional for something that has been with you through the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I love the way you have narrated your experience on buying and using the Fiat Uno for the last 10 years.This post reminds me of our Fiat Uno 1.7 S,which we had used for almost 4 years.I should admit the true fact that I have never let me down and I have never faced any problems in the car other than the usual change of spare parts and tire punctures.

But,the car started creating problems on our journey with almost no reason at all.Yup,it we even had 3 punctures during our drive from Calicut to Mookambika and when we visited the tire folks,they couldn't figure out the reasons for the problem and all.May be "Buri Nazar...??

And that's the reason why we sold it off.Being a Hard Core Fiat fan,our next car was Fiat Palio 1.9 with ABS and AirBags and today I find myself happy cruising in Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD

I would love to see the pictures of your old Italian Beauty :-) Please be kind to do so brother.

Meanwhile I am very much confused to choose b/w RF Motors and Concorde Motors for my next service.Brother, can you suggest me which one would be better.?

Happy and Safe Driving..Drive Her Safe

Regards
Amith :-)

Thanks for the kind words Amith. Buri Nazar is indeed something you need to safeguard against. Photos coming up shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I know your feelings, NutsNBolts, as I had similar feeling when I sold my Maruti Suzuki Omni in 2004, and then, Versa in 2009.
It's a mutual feeling Ravi.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:58   #146
BHPian

Default Trip to Munnar

It was a trip pending for sometime and this weekend decided to go to Munnar, roughly 130km ENE of Kochi. Started the trip at 8AM after necessary checks and top ups. The road is good but is entirely a curving weaving experience. Never a dull moment on NH49. Linea behaved wonderfully holding her own on those curves and bends. Overtaking and climbing steep bends was never any problem. Bad patches were gulped down by the beauty. Reached Munnar by 1230 and checked into a hotel. The day was spent exploring the small town on foot. A few pics taken enroute:
Attached Thumbnails
The Line Journal (Linea 1.4 Emotion Pack)-img_0635_1.jpg  

The Line Journal (Linea 1.4 Emotion Pack)-img_0639_1.jpg  

The Line Journal (Linea 1.4 Emotion Pack)-img_0640_1.jpg  

Old 26th January 2010, 12:10   #147
BHPian

Next day was spent going around to all the points of interest in Munnar. The place that really impressed me was the Eravikulam National Park. It is supposed to be the cleanest national park in India and it shows. Tightly managed with no litter around anywhere. Next day morning started back to Kochi at 1000. Driving downhill is a difficult exercise and requires thorough attention. Linea never allowed a close encounter of any kind with ABS performing beautifully. Statistics of the trip for interested people,

Air pressure maintained 34 front and 32 rear.
Total distance covered : 308 km
Total fuel consumed : 18l
Mileage obtained with 80% ACC : 17.1 kmpl.

A few pictures of what we saw:
Attached Thumbnails
The Line Journal (Linea 1.4 Emotion Pack)-img_0753_1.jpg  

The Line Journal (Linea 1.4 Emotion Pack)-img_0769_1.jpg  

The Line Journal (Linea 1.4 Emotion Pack)-img_0646_1.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by NutsNBolts : 26th January 2010 at 12:15.
Old 26th January 2010, 15:05   #148
BHPian

Wow! nice photography, exotic locations and admiration guaranteed.
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 17:41   #149
BHPian

nice photos man!!. but too many HDR's spoil the broth
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 08:00   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Wow! nice photography, exotic locations and admiration guaranteed.
Thanks bnz. Admiration is really guaranteed as the Linea was a head turner even in a small town like Munnar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
nice photos man!!. but too many HDR's spoil the broth
Thanks soccerfan. The limit of 1mb per photo upload here means details will be lost in compression from 12mb. So I try to keep those details by HDR processing.