Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th November 2009, 04:47   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
I drive a Mustang, ...
You feel so happy about it. I love that car. But because of snow... I would have gone ahead and taken that risk if I didn't had a two year old who would be driving with me on most of my weekends.

I just saw your garage and that front grill is quite unique. Is it custom made? I haven't seen a Mustang here with such a front grill.

@khan75 - I am almost certain that you don't like Buick cars. And that's perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Nothing weird as such but it strikes me as a bit odd that you probably had over a dozen or so fun to drive and economical cars in that price bracket
I am not sure which cars you are referring two, but I understand that you are busy and would not have time to go thru the thread. LeSabre is one of most successful Sedans in U.S. It is surely a lot of fun to drive (depending on how one defines fun). It is economical. Buick maintenance in United States is similar to Maruti in India.

Quote:
yet you chose a solid American beater with a (kinda) thirsty engine.
I have no idea what American beater means but as far as thirsty engine goes....

The driver information system tells me that I have got 12.3 kmpl in last 100 kilometers that I have driven (with 60% highway driving). I measured the mileage the classic way as well - full tank to full tank. The car drove 287 miles in 11.34 galons - the mileage comes to 25+ miles per gallon. Quite impressive IMHO.

Quote:
Anyhow, its your purchase.
I only feel happier with each passing day that I bought this car.

Last edited by akbaree : 4th November 2009 at 05:05.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 05:28   #62
BHPian

Default misperceptions

1) All Indian's drive Honda/Toyota.
Ans: Wrong (these are the cars I've owned or own in the U. S - Mazda Protege, Dodge Neon, Fort Mustang convertible, Mazda 6, Hyundai Sonata, Chrysler PT Cruiser and some of these had manual transmission which I drove coast to coast).

2) American cars are good
Ans: NO (enough said).

3) Japanese cars are better
Ans: Definitely (except may be most Suzuki's, some Mazda's and some Mitsubishi's)

4) American cars are cheaper to maintain
Ans: NO cars are cheap to maintain in the western world. The labor charges for an hour is anywhere between $75-100 in all places, irrespective of if you go to a American/Japanese/European/Korean dealer or not. So any major repair would need at least 6 hours or more, plus parts and rent-a-car for the days you don't have the car, plus towing if needed. I've learned this the hard way.

Americans like big cars, automatic gears, soft ride, lots of power, great 'straight line' handling (lol), FM radio, and arm rests and cup holders in the front, that's it. This is the main reason why even the Japanese, Koreans and Europeans have started making bigger cars with every new model. Think new Altima, Accord, Camry etc.

I wish the Government in the United States taxed petrol so much that it would cost at least $8-10 a gallon. That's the only way to get rid of these obese suv's/minivans.
inwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 08:51   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
2) American cars are good
Ans: NO (enough said).

3) Japanese cars are better
Ans: Definitely (except may be most Suzuki's, some Mazda's and some Mitsubishi's)
@inwester: The intention of this thread is not to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of Japanese and American cars.

And you have put your message in black and white and I appreciate it. But in this world there are no rights and wrongs. It all depends on what you want in life (or from your car in this case). Isn't it?

Last edited by akbaree : 4th November 2009 at 09:05.
Old 4th November 2009, 10:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
I wish the Government in the United States taxed petrol so much that it would cost at least $8-10 a gallon. That's the only way to get rid of these obese suv's/minivans.
Buddy, If petrol costs go up to that level, government would topple! Why on earth would they axe the very branch they are perched on?
US has plentiful of petrol to last for a looong time, we all know that.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 12:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I am not sure which cars you are referring two, but I understand that you are busy and would not have time to go thru the thread. LeSabre is one of most successful Sedans in U.S. It is surely a lot of fun to drive (depending on how one defines fun). It is economical. Buick maintenance in United States is similar to Maruti in India.

I have no idea what American beater means but as far as thirsty engine goes....
Err.. can I just clarify that I live in the US and drive a different Buick/Pontiac/Chevy rental almost every week, thanks to my consulting lifestyle. Newer cars from the big B like the Lucerne (not the LaCrosse) are pretty nice and I've driven the LeSabre as well, courtesy of a friend named Akbar in Atlanta. (I first thought you were the same guy but he doesn't live in CIN). Anyhow, as I said, its your car and it does seem like you're having a ton of fun.

A beater is a cheap (in terms of money/price, not the value) that you can drive every single day without regard for much maintenance work and the inevitable dings and scratches that keep happening in parking lots.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 20:22   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 212725

The LCD that you see (marked with a circle) displays the speed and other information right at the windscreen. That is part of Driver Confidence Package. It is quite useful you can keep looking at the speed without looking at the tachometer. It displays other useful information as well. And the display is light sensitive so even during sun, it has very good visibility without glaring in nights.
Attachment 212726

1st of all congrats for the car. Is it possible for you to take the picture of the display you get on the windscreen? ive never seen this before. Faintly remember seeing in star wars
livyodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 23:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I just saw your garage and that front grill is quite unique. Is it custom made? I haven't seen a Mustang here with such a front grill.
Its called a billet grill. This is a popular (but not so common) type of grill available for cars / trucks. Just search billet. As you guess, grills are available off the shelf and can clip on top of original one or replace the OEM one according to the type of construction. In my case , and with billet grill for stangs, its clipped on top of the original mesh grill with a slot cut for the pony emblem. I got it with car, previous owner added it. I am thinking of removing it and adding a pony package grill, the OEM mesh one with two small fog lamps and pony emblem, but somehow liking this too. Let me see how my liking goes
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 11:00   #68
BHPian

Americans like big cars, automatic gears, soft ride, lots of power, great 'straight line' handling (lol), FM radio, and arm rests and cup holders in the front, that's it. This is the main reason why even the Japanese, Koreans and Europeans have started making bigger cars with every new model. Think new Altima, Accord, Camry etc.

I wish the Government in the United States taxed petrol so much that it would cost at least $8-10 a gallon. That's the only way to get rid of these obese suv's/minivans.[/quote]

Why do you hate americans for living their life without bothering you. And why are you going so ga ga over japanese cars. Each cars have their own strengths and weaknesses and many people buy those because of what they are. Well people are not robots to think all alike and their priorities are different as well. Would you be happy if the japanese hold monopoly over car manufacturing of the whole world? Hope you got the point.
pamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 10:19   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Is it possible for you to take the picture of the display you get on the windscreen? ive never seen this before. Faintly remember seeing in star wars
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Aaah buddy,
Maybe you could post a pic of the LCD screen in action.
Guys, I am sorry but taking a pic of the LCD in action is tricky. I promise, I will post a pic soon. Meanwhile, I have discovered that I can control the brightness of the display as well as the position is vertically adjustable between a 3 inch area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
...and the boot is rather impractical inspite of its great length and width.
Have fun.
My wife and son came last week and I found that boot is rather impressive. All there luggage came in nicely. That black suitecase in the background is huge.
My First Car in America: 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited-image0036.jpg

Last edited by akbaree : 15th November 2009 at 10:21.
Old 15th November 2009, 11:23   #70
BHPian

Default Long Drive & Detailing Update

Everything that can go wrong, went wrong with my wife's first international flight. Without going into details, only thing I want to say is that it was most arduous journey for her to say the least.

It was not till noon, when Vivek called me, that I realized that 6:00 PM is the last flight from Detroit to Cincinnati. As my wife's flight from Paris lands in Detroit only at 5:00 PM, I was certain that she will miss her connecting flight to Cincinnati which means she will be stranded at Detroit airport for that whole night.

I went into a tizzy when I decided to drive down to Detroit to pick her up. She was in her Paris flight. She is not carrying international cell phone. She will be putting her best efforts to board the Cincinnati flight when I want her to miss that flight as I am on my way to Detroit. Frantic messaging at the gate, many paging calls, and a lot of anxious moments later, she and my son were in front of me. It felt like we were meeting after a lifetime.

I cannot thank Vivek more - otherwise I would have always cursed me for not thinking smart. Thanks buddy. I know Vivek because we are team bhpians. Long live team-bhp.

Okay, so coming to my driving experience...
It was my first long drive (okay not that long, just 500 miles in 12 hours) in US. I was not sure. I had no time to plan, actually no time to think. I left at 1:00 PM and reached Detroit airport at 5:00 PM - a journey of 253 miles. And left Detroit at 8:50 PM and reached Cincinnati at 1:00 AM. Both ways, had taken a short break at gas station.

I wouldn't say that the drive was boring but it was monotonous for sure. Indian highways give many avenues to make long drives much more enjoyable. It is my opinion from just one drive and may change in future. Or may not.

The car behaved like a true gentleman. It gave me a stress free drive for all those miles. It is just awesome on highways.

Okay this toy called Cruise Control - I never appreciated this feature till this drive. It was handy and I almost drive without using my legs for almost 80% of the journey. On some instances I felt like I am playing a video game. Ofcourse in case of an accident, one would realize that it was not a video game after all.

If we in India have a truck at 32 kmph overtaking a truck at 30 kmph for excruciating 5 minutes. We have similar scene here as well. A car set to cruise at 60 mph overtaking another car cruising at 58 mph forever. There's rarely that someone gives a pass. Americans don't mind driving next to each other. For some reason I am not too excited about this. I find it distracting when someone in my next lane is overtaking me for 2 minutes. So on my return journey I decided to vary speeds to overtake and give pass. But it is not that simple, because if you have someone behind you and if you slowdown to give a pass, that person will curse you till eternity. But I have started to admire the discipline with which Americans can drive in their lane without being bothered about anything outside that lane.

The only other thing that bothered me was tire noise. Goodyear assurance tires on my car are noisy. Driving at 70 mph for half an hour with windows down can be pain in your ears.

In the end I am happy that I bought a car that gave me confidence to drive down to Detroit. My wife and son were extremely delighted. And I am delighted too that I have completed my dry run for my planned trip to Detroit in mid January 2010 for the Detroit Motor Show. The conditions would be snowy then and this dry run has helped in reducing anxiety of driving in snowy conditions on an unknow road when you are not a great driver in snowy conditions.

Okay. After 5 weeks, I finally got some time to detail my car. As I have used Turtle Wax in India, I thought of trying my hand at Meguiars. You may think that I am working with Meguiars after looking at the picture below.
My First Car in America: 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited-dscn6043.jpg

It was my first experience with the car wash in US. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was there for almost 4 hours - washing, claying, and waxing. It was a lively place with regular flow of Mercedez, BMW, Mustangs, and like.

Here is the result of the hard work...

My First Car in America: 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited-dscn6060.jpg

My First Car in America: 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited-dscn6065.jpg

Meguiars smooth surface clay kit is just awesome product. And that alloy wheel cleaner is magic. The wheels are shining like a dream.
Old 17th November 2009, 22:20   #71
BHPian

Had a blast reading your thread. Couldn't be happier for you. Came to this thread from the link you had given in "car detailing" thread . My SIL is coming from the US and was going through detailing to get some idea about what to get from there. Btw i got the Mothers Clay Kit and a bunch of other Megs and Mothers stuff. Kinda funny to see the exact same sponge in your picture that i ordered from Amazon lol. Will be getting the stuff next month. The really funny bit is that i haven't bought my new car yet.P hehe. Planning to get it in Jan.
-NUT-case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 08:47   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
Had a blast reading your thread. Couldn't be happier for you. Came to this thread from the link you had given in "car detailing" thread . My SIL is coming from the US and was going through detailing to get some idea about what to get from there. Btw i got the Mothers Clay Kit and a bunch of other Megs and Mothers stuff. Kinda funny to see the exact same sponge in your picture that i ordered from Amazon lol. Will be getting the stuff next month. The really funny bit is that i haven't bought my new car yet.P hehe. Planning to get it in Jan.
I am glad that you enjoyed going thru the thread.

Get the detailing clay for sure. I personally liked it very much.

Quote:
The really funny bit is that i haven't bought my new car yet.P hehe. Planning to get it in Jan.
I am not surprised that you are a bhpian
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:06   #73
BHPian

Default Oil Change Update...

Last weekend was the time for first oil change - went with Semi Synthetic (Valvoline).

The total bill was 158 USD. Yes 158 USD. But the oil change was only 30 USD and it included tire rotation and 21 point inspection (including brake check up). Everything is fine and the car is going strong so far. The winter months were also a breeze with heated seats and the car will start without a fuss even when the temperature is -15 degrees centigrade and there's more than 12 inches of snow on the car.

The girl who did my car also drives a Buick, but more importantly she too loves her Buick. So I got a special service . The extra 120 USD is for wheel balancing (40 USD) and wheel alignment (80 USD). I didn't needed it. Perhaps had money to throw. Or may be my love for all things automobile.

I have so far put on 4000 miles on it and my office is just 2 miles away. I love driving the car so much that most of the times, I insist that my wife joins me for the grocery shopping although Walmart and Kroger are just across the street from my office.

I have done a complete wax job twice so far and do Meguiars Quick Wax with every wash.

Some of you had requested a picture of display that comes on the windscreen. Although I have not been able to take a decent picture, here is one...
My First Car in America: 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited-copy-dscn6272.jpg

P.S.: Where I got my oil change done, those guys don't upload service records to CarFax. Will that be an issue when I sell my car? If some of you have any thoughts to share, please do enlighten me.
Old 10th April 2010, 08:38   #74
BHPian

The winters are over and the car didn't gave me a single trouble thru cold temperatures and snow. I cannot be happier.

I would like to share this one experience of mine. I was returning from office - It was mid January. I had already experienced driving in snow 3-4 times thru winter so far. The roads generally remain clear - thanks to municipal bodies here. But that day Cincinnati has it's first level 1 snow warning.

As I approached home, I need to take that elusive left thru the center (turn) lane. Although the main four lanes were clear of snow, the center lane had a lot. And I realized just too late. I see a car approaching and applied brakes to stop. At 30 miles an hour on an icy, snow laden road and just 40-50 feet from the stop line - I realize that I stand no chance of stopping. My car kept sliding although in a straight line - Thanks to EBD.

Perhaps it would have been better just to over shoot the stop line on the center lane but my stressed mind signalled that it is a good idea to just take the turn as the approaching car was not too close and my car refuses to stop. And I here go. As I was coming out of the turn, the car is all over once again. My apartment road has not been cleared as well. EBD, ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control - All saved my car from landing on the trunk of the tree on the curb side and I managed to survive my first blunder (and I hope that this is the last). I am happy that all these systems work perfectly fine in my car.

Lessons Learned: Key to successful driving in snow is to drive slow. No matter what. And to make your decisions much much in advance. Ofcourse unless you are driving in WRC where they averaged 140 kmph on snowy roads in the 1st rally of 2010 schedule - Rally of Sweden.

P.S.:
I came across this blog and am sharing on this thread. Buick and Jaguar have topped 2009 rankings on J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Survey. I understand that my car is not a 2009 model but then I am happy to see American and European brands like Buick and Jaguar topping this rating. Generalizations should be avoided though - for japanese or any other brands.
Name:  Vehicle Depenability.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  62.4 KB

P.P.S.:
In three winter months I saw 2 instances of break down service assistance in my office - both involving Indians and both were Toyota cars - 1 Camry and 1 Corolla. I agree that that vehicle breakdown can happen with anyone and with any car including japanese cars.
Old 5th June 2010, 08:15   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

Pic from your previous thread -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...e-limited.html

My First Car in America: 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited-buick-lesabre-off.jpg

How about the Twilight setting - does that reduce the headlight intensity?

Also, when you drive with only parking lights ON, the headlights shouldn't be ON.

If you're tired of the auto headlights, there's some fiddling around you can do to disable them. Might simply involve removing a fuse or splicing some wires here and there - lots of info on GM specific forums.

Also DRL's aren't required by law in the U.S., as opposed to in Canada so you can disable them too if you wish.

Okay folks, I need some help. I haven't been able to figure out if and how I can switch off my auto headlights while in drive gear.

I have gone thru the below four pages from the owner's manual I don't know how many times. But haven't been able to derive a good understanding or facts have remained elusive to me.

Any help would be great - If I can switch off DRL? If I can switch off Headlights when I need to? The only thing I understand of the Twilight function is that if I keep it at Max the HL remains on for 3 minutes when I park and in the evening and so I have kept it at off. I am not sure if there's anything more to it? Please pardon me if my questions are not too intelligent.
Attached Thumbnails
My First Car in America: 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited-hl1.jpg  

My First Car in America: 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited-hl3.jpg  

My First Car in America: 2002 Buick LeSabre Limited-hl4.jpg  

Attached Images