Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd October 2009, 12:43   #1
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Default One of the few here- Verna Petrol XXI ownership

Hi Folks
I have rarely seen any folks post here about their experience of owning a Verna Petrol. Have read many folks trash the car and call it an uninspiring car etc etc.
Am venturing out taking a risk, pardon me if i am wrong a few fronts but i got a verna petrol XXI with ABS a couple of months back.
I did not want a car which zips around in traffic and had great pick up etc. The fiat linea was ruled out for a year or more till i got confident about the service support
Here is what i have found in driving this for a couple of months now
1. Great interior space and seating comfort. I found this better than SX4 and Fiesta. The fiesta has a comparable driver seating position, but i liked the BIG car feel i get in the Verna
2. Pick up and Power Decent pick up, i am not a zipper or spirited driver in traffic and the power it gives is great enough for a daily commute. I have driven it to Salem and the power was great, went easily to 140
3. High Speed Drive: Its not the highlight of the car, but not so bad as i see people tell. Only if you are a regular on the highway and a real enthusiast for speed will you feel the difference i guess.
Also when turning sharp corners, Fiesta takes the edge clearly but then again out of 100 how many times will i do this- many 5 times at the most.( or for that matter any driver in city like bangalore)
4. In city drive comfort- its very good, takes the city roads with ease and the bumps,potholes are hardly any trouble. As i read someone posts- its a carpet ride.
The slight drawback is the gear shift- which i agree is not the best, but smooth enough. Fiesta scores above it clearly but i did not see any major hassles in gear shifts.
5. Engine- super smooth and refined, yes it has lower power delivery but does that matter in city? And how many times do we really want to make it from 0-100 in the fastest time? Me- when am with family, do not want to scare them off at all.
6. Build Quality- I think its great, the doors close with a solid feel and once inside you can see the care hyundai takes in putting the car together. I think it scores over the Fiesta and Sx4 though the dash of the SX4 is better looking.
7. Interiors- I think its classy, the colour combo gives it a rich look, did not see that in any car. The music system is also great, looks really classy in the dash. The wooden panelling looks fantastic also.
8. FE- Why do people crib about that when almost all give around 10-12 in city. I got about 15 on the highway btw and that too when sometimes i just let it roar( drive was about 300 kms in all)
Each time i turn the ignition, the sound is soooo sweet, like the roar of a big animal!
9. After sales service: I think apart from Maruti none can match Hyundai. They do have to improve but compared to others like Ford, Fiat, they are very good indeed

I think the car suffers from a comparison with its power packed sibling, the Diesel hence falls short. Also from the price point of view there is nothing for a buyer below 7 lacs( like the limited Fiesta editions which are aplenty)
These are the reasons i guess it falls short and fails to excite many buyers
But if you look at it as a car on its own, it serves almost all that a family car with great comfort and reliable service has to offer.
I will keep updating this so that people who are looking at this car and get scared/apprehensive with none really telling much, can make a wise choice!
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you are correct.
A post on Verna petrol atlast.
Its yours, and you are enjoying the car - thats great.

Post some pictures soon!

Cheers
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new buy. Please do post pics.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:04   #4
BHPian

congrats on your new buy.

Are you concluding that this is better for city drive rather than highway drive.

So where are the pics .
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:14   #5
BHPian

mkh congradulations on the new car, how much was the on road price of the car
aravinrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:25   #6
BHPian

Hey congrats on your buy. I agree with you that we dont need a car that performs the task of a F1 car with our family in it. Please post the pictures of your car.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:42   #7
BHPian

@mkh - congrats. and snaps please.
As a verna crdi owner, I know what you mean when people trash the petrol in comparison to the crdi. Its unfortunate that the petrol is not mentioned in the same bated breath as the crdi is. But it is also a matter of choice ultimately. I had TDed the petrol before settling on the diesel, and while I found the petrol to be very refined and a pleasure to drive, I didnt find that X-factor the diesel gives. That is just my personal opinion.

But I must mention this - at 100 bhp, the petrol verna is pretty powerful for the city. And you will not have to put up with the turbo lag issues that one faces in the crdi. So eventually you may find yourself zipping around anyway.

Have you upgraded your tires? Is an upsize required on the petrol verna as well, or is the power manageable as compared to the crdi? Tire upsize makes a world of difference to the crdi's handling and ride comfort

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 22nd October 2009 at 15:45.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats a decent review on petrol one. It definitely suits for a person who has a very light right foot. And be safe, its the best A.S.S that Hyundai provides.

Thread without a pics is worthless.Pls post them.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:03   #9
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
mkh congradulations on the new car, how much was the on road price of the car
Thanks man,
Sorry but i think i missed putting that in my post- its not a new one but a good friend who was leaving for abroad was giving his used from last year. It was with him for 1 year but he had been always out of country so its just new and also it was a company lease transfer so i had to pay nothing to buy it
It was a a great price so could not resist taking it( tho had plans to take a new one later)....Had been doing TD's of diff cars before so when this came along had little hesitation. Will post pics guys - need to take a few...
Thanks a lot to all for the wishes...will keep my experiences coming of my first sedan!!!
BTW the on road cost is about 8.3 lacs after all discounts( was going to take a new one so know all the numbers..)

Last edited by mkh : 23rd October 2009 at 21:05. Reason: text changed
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 23:16   #10
BHPian

Congrats on getting a Petrol Verna.

I agree with you that it is not a popular one as the Diesel Version. But end of the day its the owners choice.

Your signature also shows that this is your 3rd Hyundai product.

Do post some pictures of your First Sedan.

Happy and safe driving.
Aarman_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 05:33   #11
BHPian

Congrats Mate on your buy. Enjoy your drive and drive safe.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 05:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats - its a lovely car. A friend has the same minus ABS - bloody silent except for the boat like handling at 120+ but that's clearly not your criteria!

Its only issue is that its diesel brother is madly successful!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 12:16   #13
BHPian

I found Verna petrol to be super silent and smooth and added comfort of Auto AC. It is a good choice for those who are looking at buying Aveo.

Hyundai should have promoted their VTVT and it is clearly hyudai at fault for Verna petrol not selling in good numbers.

If I am not wrong the ACI article on the service and spare prices, Verna Petrol was amoung the cheap to maintain car list.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 12:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrats - its a lovely car. A friend has the same minus ABS - bloody silent except for the boat like handling at 120+ but that's clearly not your criteria!

Its only issue is that its diesel brother is madly successful!
I think that all the negative publicity surrounding the verna has also led to the car not being popular. A simple tire upsize takes car of 85% of the handling and suspension problems the car faces. This coming from a verna owner, and many other owners will vouch for the same.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 14:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

wow, you are the first I know, who went for Petrol Verna
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote