Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th October 2009, 01:10   #1
BHPian

Default Bought a Ford Fiesta Sxi Premium without a Test Drive

Yeah you read it right and no I am not exaggerating nor am I crazy.
But before you read more about the car, something about me.

Occupation - Just another Software engineer (Sorry if hurt any egos)

User name - Rastapopoulos (Tried different names during my earlier membership requests but was rejected) Now I see there is a fellow BHPian who has a similar name. Hey sorry buddy I hope we are not mistaken for the other and my avatar pic makes the distinction easy for others. I just loved Tintin comics in my childhood and so took up this name.

How team- bhp - Googling for everything right from the which car/model/color to what accessories brought me in loops to the same destination. This is where I found answers for almost everything.

Grievance - Was rejected a membership for 3 times and I just gave one last try as I did not want to push myself if the community was not willing to accept me with open arms. But thankfully it worked the last time.

Alright I know everybody is more interested in the Beasta than me.I was presented by a wonderful opportunity in life of purchasing a ford product. So I honestly did not have a choice or liberty to look for any other brand.

Below are the options I evaluated based on my usage, taste, logic so I might be wrong technically but then that's what my common sense told me.

Options evaluated (Petrol only) -
Ford Fusion
Ford Fiesta ZXI
Ford Fiesta SXI
Ford Fiesta SXI Premium

Fusion - All in all a good car however I considered 2 points for not choosing this car
1. I was worried that ford might stop production as this has not been a very popular car due to its high cost. Did not want to drive a car that has become absolute and then deal with maintenance etc.
2. The typical middle class Indian mentality where one wants to own a Sedan and show he is not middle class. But I know this is just a mental phase

Fiesta ZXI- The most logical choice and I had also decided on this. But had to scratch this and upgrade to the SXI because of the cost I would need for alloys and accessories.
Fiesta SXI - Just before the SXI premium was launched I was evaluating this option but found this to be around 80K (approx cant recall the exact figure) more than ZXI.With no alloy wheels this option was too expensive and not a VFM product.
Fiesta SXI premium- Life changed on the announcement of this edition. This had practically everything I would like to have in the car - alloys, leather , ORVM indicators.

Why moved from ZXI to SXI premium - Adding alloys and seat covers meant around 35K + cost to the ZXI which narrowed the difference between the 2 models.
Long term ownership planned so did not want to regret after 2-3 years that 30K-40K difference might have got me the top end model. Since I did have the liberty and opportunity to spend the remaining difference I finalized on the SXI premium model.

Though I would have loved a blue Fiesta S it was not an Option as its not a family car. Read a lot about how many found the chrome ORVM to be a turn off and preferred the body colored ones. But I did not think that an ORVM can be a deciding factor to reject a package like the SXI premium. I am fine with it and actually think it looks good on certain colors.

Color selection - No dark colors were in mind due to maintenance issues and (I hope I don't start a debate on this as this is my thought) I thought dark colored cars get hotter and cooling might take more time in summers.Did not want to go for a white car (no offense meant) as this is popular largely with politicians or tourist car. So the choices were either a platinum or a silver.
I thought the silver alloys , chrome ORVM and grill look pretty good on a silver car so finalized on it.

Booking the Car -
The make, model, color were decided and so I did not go for a test drive. I just waited for my own car to be delivered to drive it home. Trust me guys and girls if any. The pleasure of driving ones own fiesta without a test drive was awesome. This was the first time I ever drove a Ford car all I had ever done during booking was sit in the car in the showroom and enjoy the comfort.

Dealer - Planet Ford Pune. Interestingly I met Mr Laxman who is the Kothrud Branch manager and now is more of a friend. He has been professional as well as maintained a human touch which lead us to also occasionally interact now even after the car is delivered.

PDI- Read the checklist consolidated by fellow BHPians and this helped me do the check.

Delivery- This was done on the 1st day of Durga Puja (Ghatasthapna). Not for auspicious reasons but just because that's when the dealer could make the car available.

Accessories - Spoiler, Reverse parking sensors, Scuff plates, Sporty pedals, garware film for windows.

Body coat - NO I did not go for any color protection after reading to a lot of views on this. Specially to the way Parm and Sunilrj explained it. This helped me a lot in saying No for the body protection.

Distance traveled and FE - I have already crossed the 2500 kms figure. Particularly DID NOT exceed the 2000 RPM for the 1st 2000 kms. (though made me look like an idiot on the pune mumbai expressway) Once I passed the 2000 km mark I started pushing it more, usually I around 2500-3000 RPM. I clocked a max speed of 150Km/hr while I was driving on the NH4, but then I realized I was being a bit unsafe and removed my foot from the gas pedal.
FE has been around 15 on highways with 100% AC on and around 13-14 in city with 100 % AC on.

Tyre pressure - I did not have this checked for the first 2000 kms and then thought of it and had it to 30/35 as per the recommendations by FORD. Any one has any suggestions on this?

Complains - Yeah there has to be something to complain about.
1. I cant play a CD with MP3 songs. Its MP3 security coded. I am not a DJ and just enjoy some soft songs on low volume as I enjoy my drive. So I don't really want to go for ICE upgrade. I am still trying to evaluate what can be a solution for this.
2. Allergic Cough due to the AC. Now This is something serious as I cannot even think of living with the AC off . Read on the web that this might happen as the AC does not maintain the humidity in the car. Has anyone ever experienced this in any of his car? what can I do. Currently I am driving without the AC for a few days to confirm on my diagnosis. Do we have any AC experts who can help me on this?

I would like to thank frankmehta, shajufx, raamki and the list is endless , their posts were really helpful.
Some pictures for you guys , I know everyone loves to see the Beasta ! ! !
Rastapopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 06:36   #2

Default Congrats on your car

Congratulations on your new Ford Fiesta SXI. Enjoy your drive. By the way how much did the sports pedal cost you.
jk@mumbai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 09:30   #3
BHPian

Congratulations! you have indeed bought the right car without even a test drive. But I hope you don't carry forward this practice to your work as releasing a software without testing could become disastrous

I am envious that you could do the first 2000 kms without exceeding the 2000 rpm mark. I just couldnt do that. In my first long trip itself (when the car was just 200 kms old), I was driving at 3000 rpm. I felt its like have a dark chocolate bar in hand but you arent allowed to eat it.

And regarding the AC, I always drive with AC on and have never faced this issue. Maybe some AC experts in this forum could throw some light on this.

Btw, I am able to play CDs with MP3 songs.
JackTheCrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 10:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ref your complaints

1- I never had any problems of playing MP3 in my car (fiesta 1.6 Zxi petrol)
Check with the dealer if any problem regarding security code.
2- A/C. I have been driving the car all time with A.c. Never ever had this problem
either for me or to my co-passengers !

Please do post some pictures of the car soon

Cheers.
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 10:17   #5
BANNED

Good choice dude, Congratulations. It would be appreciated if you post exteriors / interiors of the car... specially i would like to see the ORVM match along with the car color. A lot as been discussed about that as you are already aware of. Drive safe and enjoy your wheels.
srikanths1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 10:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Complains - Yeah there has to be something to complain about.
1. I cant play a CD with MP3 songs. Its MP3 security coded. I am not a DJ and just enjoy some soft songs on low volume as I enjoy my drive. So I don't really want to go for ICE upgrade. I am still trying to evaluate what can be a solution for this.
Congrats man. The new Music System can indeed play MP3 Songs. Please check again. The earlier one in the SXi was an in dash 6CD Player which didn't play MP3. The new one is Single CD Player which can play MP3. Also has an Aux-in port near the in front of the Gear Lever.
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 10:30   #7
oss
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride.

Your dealer might have forgotten to punch in the code for the player. You will find it written on the first page of your audio system manual you'd have recd while taking delivery.

Enjoy the beast
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 11:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy..! Please do uploads loads of pictures

Happy Motoring..!! Drive her safe
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 12:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

That is a really really well written and highly informative post!
I know how it feels to drive home a car without a test drive! My MPFi Esteem felt like a rocket since I had only driven the 65 bhp carburetor version, and the 85 bhp MPFi version with 4 valves per cylinder and 16 bit ECU felt like a totally different experience. Best part was that the car was already mine when this dawned on me ;-)

Sorry for going OT and rambling about my stuff. But let me tell you there, that the SXi premium is one of the best equipped cars out there and even some cars above 10 lacs cannot match it in terms of many of its features and the overall package that it provides. Enjoy your car, and rip it after 1500 km. I did that too!

And about the MP3 capabilities of the system, it does it with elan. In fact the read times of MP3 cds is one of the best among OEM cars.
The security code doesn't have anything to do with playing different formats.
The security code is to deter robbers, since, once you remove the system from the car, you can't play it or switch it on anywhere else without entering the 4 digit security code manually.

TO FIND THE CODE: It's a sticker stuck on your glove box door. Remove the same and stick it in the manual. There is a special place for the sticker in the book. Also, memorize it and write it down somewhere too. I have removed my Head unit and will put it in my Zen once I get time. I will have to enter the code for the first time that I switch it on.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 12:33   #10
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. Sxi is a highly desirable model in the Fiesta lineup. Hope you having fun with it.

Last edited by rajivn : 25th October 2009 at 12:34.
rajivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 13:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheCrack View Post
Congratulations! you have indeed bought the right car without even a test drive. But I hope you don't carry forward this practice to your work as releasing a software without testing could become disastrous

I am envious that you could do the first 2000 kms without exceeding the 2000 rpm mark. I just couldnt do that. In my first long trip itself (when the car was just 200 kms old), I was driving at 3000 rpm. I felt its like have a dark chocolate bar in hand but you arent allowed to eat it.

And regarding the AC, I always drive with AC on and have never faced this issue. Maybe some AC experts in this forum could throw some light on this.

Btw, I am able to play CDs with MP3 songs.
for the testing to the dark chocolate. Maybe I could control my urge to Rev the car this time. but trust me I cant guarantee I can control it ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk@mumbai View Post
Congratulations on your new Ford Fiesta SXI. Enjoy your drive. By the way how much did the sports pedal cost you.
I got 15K worth of accessories free in the Corporate discount. I included the sporty pedal in it. Will confirm the exact pedal cost once I check the final costing sheet which is on my office computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Good choice dude, Congratulations. It would be appreciated if you post exteriors / interiors of the car... specially i would like to see the ORVM match along with the car color. A lot as been discussed about that as you are already aware of. Drive safe and enjoy your wheels.
Thanks you , the pics will flow in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
That is a really really well written and highly informative post!

And about the MP3 capabilities of the system, it does it with elan. In fact the read times of MP3 cds is one of the best among OEM cars.
The security code doesn't have anything to do with playing different formats.
The security code is to deter robbers, since, once you remove the system from the car, you can't play it or switch it on anywhere else without entering the 4 digit security code manually.
Thanks Frank I do have the security code with me and probably i do not know the right way to use it for the MP3 songs. I also read in the manual that the Music system will not play CD/CDR which do not have the authentic signature or something. What I am trying to do is write a CD with my favorite songs which I have in an mp3 format. Will this work too?
I have been reading the cargasm thread since long and enjoyed every pic you have taken. I am wondering if there is any photographic angel that is still unexplored which I can use to post some pics

A teaser of the silver beuty
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a Ford Fiesta Sxi Premium without a Test Drive-image01.jpg  

Old 25th October 2009, 13:47   #12
BHPian

The chrome goes very well with silver & white color! So the big drawback of having extra chrome is not applicable in your case.

There should not be any problem to play MP3 files so please check the file format again. If am not wrong you can't browse folders + bigger problem I found in music system is you can't mute it.

Its personal choice of not taking TD but I think it helps to take decision because initially I was planning to buy SXI petrol but after TD I decided to go for Diesel ZXI.

When I decided to buy Sedan car then I was very much sure that I will going to buy Ford Fiesta so I didn't called any other brand dealers for TD. Just for fun after booking the Fiesta I took SX4 TD & that too because we were near by Maruti showroom.
kumar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 14:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
The chrome goes very well with silver & white color! So the big drawback of having extra chrome is not applicable in your case.
I hope you do get to enjoy your drive in the Pune traffic chaos
Old 25th October 2009, 14:38   #14
BHPian

Hi Rastapopoulos have been using the Fiesta for the past 3.8yrs with 100% AC on while driving with no allergic cough symptoms,maybe some dust allergens are present in your car or the AC vents.You can try the Gulf AC neutralizer and take your car to service station and get the interiors cleaned using the air pressure blower they have.

P.S check this thread out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ria-fungi.html (Car Air-Conditioner Cleaning to remove bacteria & fungi)
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 14:58   #15
BHPian

At the beginning I use to avoid crowded places but now its common to take her everywhere. I am bit scared about ORVM because when you are standing at traffic, the two wheelers try there best to go ahead of you by hitting ORVM.

Also when someone overtakes you from left side (which is common in India) then there is a point where you can't locate that vehicle (specially 2 wheeler) due to the left middle pillar. This is the bigger difference I noticed after upgrading it to sedan as the ORVM can't locate vehicles coming from left and close to your car also neither you can spot (unless you turn back) it because of the pillar.

In Pune you can expect vehicle coming from any direction & big thanks to pot holes! Basically the bigger issue I find is @ Vimannager highway -
- In morning people moving towards HSBC/Cybage side and in evening people rushing towards IBM road.
- Secondly @ Vimannagar Octroi square.
- If possible then avoid Swargate area.
- You can't avoid Camp & KP area even if you want to

Last edited by kumar7 : 25th October 2009 at 15:02.
kumar7 is offline   Reply With Quote