Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 18:43   #106
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,537
Thanked: 80,270 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Besides for seat back screens you need a good legroom to get a reasonable viewing distance. The new E legroom would fall short for such purpose.
Very valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
GTO, one question about your review did you not think the leather used feels a little hard?
I've noticed most European cars (especially Mercs & BMWs) sold in India to have a firmer compound. Continues with this E350 too. Nope, they aren't the soft type at all.

Quote:
And GTO, if you truly know someone at MB who you could influence then please tell them to consider add ventilated seats / multicontour seats, those are some really nice features we would benefit with in Indian heat. Also they should consider the upgraded Harmon/Kardon sound system.
Gotcha.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 15:42   #107
BHPian
 
harryskt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

One more great review by GTO
This is the best E class till date, am sure, but looking at the price of around 50 lakhs, I think I would go for the BMW 530i.
harryskt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 18:59   #108
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

I agree that many of us Bhpians are not that impressed with this E350 as the BMW's but thats because we are a community of pure driving enthusiasts! and BMW is just the one for people like us. BUT.. there are many angels that you need to check when you are shelling out 5 mils! and they all mostly go in favour of the Merc! which are the ones which is generally looked into when making a decession by most of the buyers.

some of the points in favour of the Mercedes over the BMW:

1) PRESTIGE! this thing works like a booster shot to your image! BMW's are great too but nothing screams Prestige like this infront of people from all the walks of the society. be it your watchman or your Boss!

2) Ride Comfort. agreed that BMW's are better driver's cars than Mercs but they were built mainly to be driven on European and american roads, where you can even use a sports car as your daily drive as the roads are atleast 10 times better! and when you are spending millions on a car, you dont like to feel all the road uncertainities.

3) Light steering and ease of driving in the city.

Merc E350 is actually best of both the worlds. its fast and fun when you want to drive (0-100 in sub 8 sec. is not bad and specially with our traffic how many occassions would we get to do that?!) and very comfy when being chauffered. BMW's are great to drive but when you get a ride comfort which is just like a Accord (maybe less..not sure) you suddenly dont feel great about your purchase.

so when I see a BMW on road, my head surely turns and my eyes follow the car till it vanishes, but my dream car still remains a Merc!

Last edited by magikrider : 21st November 2009 at 19:12.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 20:14   #109
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,677
Thanked: 8,704 Times
Default

The decision to pick either E or the 5 purely depends on the preferences of a buyer, while E caters to those who are more inclined towards comfort, 5 is a favorite with those looking for pure driving involvement.

I met a person who picked up a BMW 7 because he did not like Merc S's looks..thats it!!!. These kind of people form majority of luxury car buyers.

ACI has rated E's the Diesel variant 10/10, so GTO when should we except your version?
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 20:45   #110
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,725
Thanked: 9,036 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I agree that many of us Bhpians are not that impressed with this E350 as the BMW's but thats because we are a community of pure driving enthusiasts! and BMW is just the one for people like us. BUT.. there are many angels that you need to check when you are shelling out 5 mils! and they all mostly go in favour of the Merc! which are the ones which is generally looked into when making a decession by most of the buyers.
my eyes follow the car till it vanishes, but my dream car still remains a Merc!
True - have been driving various BMW's in the UK - if i remained here, I would buy one but takig our roads and speeds, a merc would do a better job in India
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:38   #111
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,138
Thanked: 1,897 Times
Default

Finally had a chance to sit in the new E at the autocar show over the weekend. And boyy was I impressed with the interior quality ! It's luxurious, well fitted and solid. None of the existing rivals like the E60 5 series and A6 have such premium interior quality.

The backseat was more spacious in terms of legroom compared to the out going E. Legroom was perhaps almost equal to the 5 series but the seat angle was better hence making it more comfy than the BMW at the back. Although, the 5 series seats seems broader, would be tighter to squeeze 3 at the back of the E.

This time they certain have used S-class materials inside. Gotta love the black wood trim.

Once fired up the car was super silent as expected from a v6 petrol engine and absolutely no vibration. These are a given but yet impressive.

Hope to TD it soon.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:58   #112
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,537
Thanked: 80,270 Times
Default

*UPDATE*

E350 CDI test-driven and ripped . Report uploaded in post no.5 of this thread itself (Direct Link). I can't think of a single reason to buy the petrol over the diesel, CDI rocks!

Last edited by GTO : 24th November 2009 at 16:07.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 10:47   #113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,138
Thanked: 1,897 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*UPDATE*

E350 CDI test-driven and ripped . Report uploaded in post no.4 of this thread itself (Direct Link). I can't think of a single reason to buy the petrol over the diesel, CDI rocks!
Thanks for the short and precise review of the oil burner variant.

You're views and observations are pretty much in line with my prediction, the E350 CDi would be more powerful than the 530d on paper but in reality the BMW would hold it's stance amongst enthusiasts. I personally love the kick-in-the-back that the 3L diesel BMW hits you with, it brings a smile on my face on the shittest day too. But it's annoying for some passengers, especially the fairer sex

That's exactly where the E350 CDi comes in, it's powerful yet not a maniac like the beemer. Passenger comfort is, like all merc's (besides the AMG's) top priority. But what impressed me the most in this review is that MB has improved the already refined diesel power plants more! This is something BMW really needs to buck up with, adapt to indian diesel fuel better! The refinement levels on the BMW diesel is very good by general standards but when compared to a MB over a period of time it feels a tad less refined.

That being said, I reckon the new F10(pics released yesterday) will give the E a nicccee thrashing. BMW has bridged the gap between luxury and sporty. The interiors are as luxurious and contemporary if not more than the MB, sportiness is restricted to the outside and engine. Now thats a great combo/blend !

Last edited by Sahil : 24th November 2009 at 10:52.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 10:51   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Great review, as usual.

The total luxury on 4 wheels

Rear boot space - seems one can easly sleep without any trouble/bending?

Rear climate control -good that those sitting in the backseat can
control A/C without troubling the driver.

And bonnet open to 90 degrees - a clear vision to the engine compartment. Wish other car manufacturers atleast sedans can follow this style

So many great things in this car (as well as the costing!)

Thanks GTO
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 12:09   #115
BHPian
 
Yeldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 697
Thanked: 609 Times
Default

The review on E350CDI was sharp and sweet, just like the burst of acceleration from a CDI engine!

Anyway, I learn from the rieview that the performance is rather smooth and measured than in the W211 E280CDI. But since that car was tamer than the E270CDI, may I take it that the new E is not as fun as the 530d? So no giant leap forward in the engine department in contrast with the rest of the car?

Regarding screens, interfaces, displays and menus, well, I'm glued to displays most of my day, PC screens and laptops at the office, at home Mama's TV and wifey's TV and servant's TV, miserable little screens on airplane seatbacks, screens on ATMs, nowadays even when I want to know something, I've to ask the screen at the info kiosk. So I don't want any more screens and menus in my car. Nearly pulled my hair out with the "iDrive (you crazy)" on the 530d. Screens, screens, screens, I even saw an autorickshaw with an LCD screen recently!
Yeldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 12:50   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,537
Thanked: 80,270 Times
Default

Before I get to replying to your posts, an update. I've edited the prices to include diesel variants. And I must say, the diesel is nowhere as competitively priced as the petrol.

Quote:
• Ex-showroom Delhi prices (E350 V6 Petrol) :
Mercedes E350 : 46.9 Lakhs
BMW 530i : 45.9 Lakhs
Audi A6 : 45.12 Lakhs

• Ex-showroom Delhi prices (E350 V6 Diesel) :
Mercedes E350 : 48.08 Lakhs
BMW 530d : 42.80 Lakhs. Highline variant : 46.50 Lakhs
Audi A6 : 45.12 Lakhs (3.0 Quattro)
The regular 530d is like 4 lakhs cheaper ex-Delhi, and the A6 AWD is about a lakh down. While the A6 hasn't found favour with the market, the 530d has and is substantially cheaper. I reiterate that the 4 cylinder E250 is the one that will bring volumes home. And hey, its got 500 NM of torque too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I agree that many of us Bhpians are not that impressed with this E350 as the BMW's but thats because we are a community of pure driving enthusiasts! and BMW is just the one for people like us.

2) Ride Comfort. agreed that BMW's are better driver's cars than Mercs but they were built mainly to be driven on European and american roads, where you can even use a sports car as your daily drive as the roads are atleast 10 times better! and when you are spending millions on a car, you dont like to feel all the road uncertainities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The decision to pick either E or the 5 purely depends on the preferences of a buyer, while E caters to those who are more inclined towards comfort, 5 is a favorite with those looking for pure driving involvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
True - have been driving various BMW's in the UK - if i remained here, I would buy one but takig our roads and speeds, a merc would do a better job in India
Well said. 90% of the 50 lakh sedans sold end up being chauffeur-driven. And the E Class' ride quality is way (read = WAY) superior to the BMW 530. It is a far better choice for the "seths" who will only sit on the back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Finally had a chance to sit in the new E at the autocar show over the weekend. And boyy was I impressed with the interior quality !
Quote:
but the seat angle was better hence making it more comfy than the BMW at the back.
Quote:
This time they certain have used S-class materials inside. Gotta love the black wood trim.
Quote:
Once fired up the car was super silent as expected from a v6 petrol engine and absolutely no vibration. These are a given but yet impressive.
Glad you finally checked it out in person. Your impressions are in line with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
the E350 CDi would be more powerful than the 530d on paper but in reality the BMW would hold it's stance amongst enthusiasts. I personally love the kick-in-the-back that the 3L diesel BMW hits you with, it brings a smile on my face on the shittest day too.
Simple reason behind the 530d's quicker performance. It's a whopping 225 kilos lighter (1,600 versus 1,825 kg).

Quote:
But what impressed me the most in this review is that MB has improved the already refined diesel power plants more!
Believe me, you have to experience the refinement to really know what its like. The CDI is more silent than the petrol at full clip. And at idling / within the city, it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell there is an oil burner under the hood.

Quote:
That being said, I reckon the new F10(pics released yesterday) will give the E a nicccee thrashing. BMW has bridged the gap between luxury and sporty. The interiors are as luxurious and contemporary if not more than the MB, sportiness is restricted to the outside and engine. Now thats a great combo/blend !
The one area where BMW loses it is in terms of ride quality. Even the new 7 series is not a patch on this E Class, forget the S. The 7 is simply too stiff for a luxury barge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Anyway, I learn from the rieview that the performance is rather smooth and measured than in the W211 E280CDI. But since that car was tamer than the E270CDI, may I take it that the new E is not as fun as the 530d? So no giant leap forward in the engine department in contrast with the rest of the car?
The W211 E280 CDI had a maniac push in kick-down, the new E350 CDI is very linear. Far more seamless than any competitor.

Nope, its nowhere as fun to drive as the 530d. After about 200+ kms of ripping, we stopped for lunch (Sunny's Dhaba finger-licking naan & subzi ). Know what I did right after? Switched to "C" Comfort mode, stretched out and decided to cruise home sedately. That's how this car is meant to be driven. Dare I say, it was rather boring to drive enthusiastically. The artificial steering, being disconnected from the outside world, the silent engine and lack of feedback doesn't make this a drivers car. From any angle.

Last edited by GTO : 24th November 2009 at 12:53.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 12:59   #117
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,138
Thanked: 1,897 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The one area where BMW loses it is in terms of ride quality. Even the new 7 series is not a patch on this E Class, forget the S. The 7 is simply too stiff for a luxury barge.
You're right, that's the BMW handling to blame, if at all
However, would love to sit in a 7 riding on regular comfort oriented tubeless. RFTs ruin the party in a huge way.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 13:18   #118
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,229
Thanked: 21,888 Times
Default

My views after driving the E350 CDI
(as updated on first page)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post


  • The most unnerving thing about the petrol E350 we drove was the super-light steering at high speeds. This has been fixed in the Diesel. My guess is that tweaks have been made to the speed-sensitive steering to resolve this issue.
  • The engine is incredibly quiet, inside and out. Infact, when inside, it is quieter than the petrol (whos engine note was clearly audible post 3000rpm).
  • Even though peak torque ends at 2400rpm, the diesel mill pulls cleanly and effortlessly till 4000rpm. After that it runs out of steam and redline is around 4200-4300rpm.
  • In (S)port mode, the Petrol had an irritating behavior of the 7G transmission downshifting at every dab of the throttle. In the CDI this is not as noticable (wider torque, less engine noise to make it obvious when RPM changes, etc)
  • Unlike the petrol with came with comparatively noisier (on concrete roads) ContiContactSport tyres, the CDI has Pirellis that seem to handle them a little better.
  • You can turn this engine on right away, no need to warm up the plugs before cranking.
  • All in all, other than the slightly higher price, i really cant think of a single reason why anyone would choose the petrol over the CDI diesel!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th November 2009 at 18:24.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 16:15   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,537
Thanked: 80,270 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
However, would love to sit in a 7 riding on regular comfort oriented tubeless. RFTs ruin the party in a huge way.
True, all the 7s I've sat in had those miserable runflat tyres.

Quote:
The engine is incredibly quiet, inside and out. Infact, when inside, it is quieter than the petrol (whos engine note was clearly audible post 3000rpm).
No kidding. The E350 petrol is louder than the E350 CDI and the previous gen E280 above 3,000 rpms.

Quote:
the CDI has Pirellis that seem to handle them a little better.
Pirellis are part of the "blueefficiency" package. Apparently more green / environment friendly : Linky

Quote:
All in all, other than the slightly higher price, i really cant think of a single reason why anyone would choose the petrol over the CDI diesel!
You can say that again.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 16:34   #120
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Just as expected. CDI beats the pants off the petrol. again nice & precise review GTO!

E350 cdi should be THE car to buy in this segment. its super luxury yet drinks diesel, so you won't be guilty of taking unnecessary trips and long drives! ;-) (which is very common for us guys)

should be the second choice of transport for very long journeys after flights.

super luxury + economical to drive + very powerful + super comfort + extremely prestigious + extremely reliable & safe = THE PERFECT LUXURY CAR one can buy in India! period.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class Merc_lover666 Luxury, Imports & Niche 113 24th March 2017 06:49
2009 Mercedes Benz E350 cdi Avantgarde (w212) vs 2010 BMW 530d (f10) PlatzdaTurbo The Indian Car Scene 60 27th October 2010 12:05
New W212 Mercedes E Class and upcoming models from Mercedes India - Full details sidindica The Indian Car Scene 12 25th September 2009 15:05
Official Pictures of Mercedes E-class (W212-series) hanmust The International Automotive Scene 42 6th August 2009 19:57
W212 Mercedes-Benz E Class. EDIT : Brochure leaked on Pg. 5 khanak The International Automotive Scene 100 28th July 2009 09:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks