Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th October 2009, 17:35   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Us enthusiasts may want a firmer steering, feedback et al, but the lay man (99% of our market) is simply comfortable with a super-light steering wheel. In my entire family, I am the only one who relishes the Merc's steering. Everyone else hates it.
Precisely. BTW what kinda PS do the Mercs have? I don't know for a fact, but when I drove the E280 CDI, I remember diesel_headrock showing me the display car in the showroom. He fired it up, and asked me to turn lock-to-lock. It was unbelievably effortless. Like it was connected to nada. Even more so than the i20 in traffic !! So I'm assuming it's EPS? But then again, someone like you would hate EPS. So which one is it, in the C220 CDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
Heartiest Congratulations flyingspar!
SpUr Thank you so much !!

Quote:
Internal feautres like electrical OVRM, AC cooling in Glove box, steering Audio controls and driver seat adjustment are awesome and very helpful. Folding Keys are wonderful.
Will talk about those in my next post.

Quote:
The -ve aspect of this car is its ground clearence & Zippy power.
Be very careful while manvuering the badly laid road humps, especially under full load. I have expreinced lots of thuds in Bangalore, because of Road humps laid unscientifically.
Wow. I didn't think of it that way at all. Then again, I've never had more than a total of 3 occupants in the car. And I doubt I'll ever have more than those. Still, thanks a ton for the heads-up, I'll be extremely careful over the speed bumps etc.

Quote:
I feel it is lightly underpowered in 2nd Gear.
I think it's quite zippy around town, actually. More about that in driving impressions.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 20:43   #32
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car flyingspur. Car looks good. Very practical buy I must say.

I'm going to have to agree with NC and say that I'm not too fond of the alloys. I prefer the stock ones or a deep dish one. This has no lip at all.

All the best and safe driving.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 21:04   #33
BHPian

Congrats. By the way, is it Asta or Asta O Version.
Sarvodaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 21:14   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Congrats on the car flyingspur. Car looks good. Very practical buy I must say.

I'm going to have to agree with NC and say that I'm not too fond of the alloys. I prefer the stock ones or a deep dish one. This has no lip at all.
Thanks Viddy. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the pics either but according to me they look great in the metal, so I love them and the new look of the car. I couldn't have lived with the stock ones at all. So bland and uninteresting. I dislike deep dish / lip so these are perfect for me. I love the finish too. Another design I was considering, among many, was the Plati PY102, but when put against the car it seemed overkill. I like black & machine finish. Finally, I think 14" has a very limited choice as compared to 15" and higher. Went to a couple of places and saw about 7-8 designs before I picked these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Congrats. By the way, is it Asta or Asta O Version.
Thank you. It's the Asta version. No sunroof, 2 airbags.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th October 2009 at 21:19.
Old 31st October 2009, 13:12   #35
BHPian

Great to see you're enjoying your car. I still remember when i test drove the i20, the fit and finish was top notch. The brown dash looked superb and the feel was really good. I, for one, don't feel the i20 is overpriced at all. With the gizmo's like the electrical foldable ORVM's & cooled glove box, you get for the price, its worth every penny.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 14:27   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
I, for one, don't feel the i20 is overpriced at all. With the gizmo's like the electrical foldable ORVM's & cooled glove box, you get for the price, its worth every penny.
Exactly. Once you're past the engine, which itself is adequate for city driving, the car is total VFM.
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:23   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Precisely. BTW what kinda PS do the Mercs have?
Proper Hydraulic unit, but with variable ratio. They are super-light within the city (based on market feedback). The recent E350 that we drove probably had a lighter steering than your i20 at parking speed
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:55   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Just thought I'd put up a pic I clicked a couple of days back. It currently stands at about 1150 km, and this is in the first 10 days. This car's really being used

Meet the "i" : Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-01112009001.jpg
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

1000 kms up eh !! I guess those few days your car spent with your dad munched up the kms So are you sending her in for the first service anytime soon? A long drive in the 'i' is pending. Keep the updates flowing.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:05   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
1000 kms up eh !! I guess those few days your car spent with your dad munched up the kms. So are you sending her in for the first service anytime soon? A long drive in the 'i' is pending. Keep the updates flowing.
Yeah, the Corolla's finally back and shining with a paint job In those 3-4 days the car covered about 400 km including a short trip out of town (not very far). First service is scheduled at 1200 - 1500 km / 1 month. I suppose I'll send it over in another week or so.
Old 7th November 2009, 19:45   #41

I for one liked the alloys. Looks very good !!
Am planning to get tints on my i20. Which dealer did you get the 3Ms from?
You can PM me his number if you have. Thanks.
amit9921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 22:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit9921 View Post
I for one liked the alloys. Looks very good !!
Thank you

Quote:
Am planning to get tints on my i20. Which dealer did you get the 3Ms from?
You can PM me his number if you have. Thanks.
Sent !
Old 9th November 2009, 19:33   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

The car was sent for it's first service today. It's usually 1200 - 1500 kms / 2 months, whichever is earlier. However, since I've driving around in this as if I'm living in the Gulf, that 1200 came up in only 11 days. So I decided to wait till 1450 km before giving it in.

First Service @ 1436 km :

Done at Sewri, at the company workshop. Nothing doing, enough of "the dealer I bought it from". Awesome reviews of their work from other members on this forum reinforced my decision.

Duration :

About 5 hours. Had to send the car at 8:00 because I "managed" to get an appointment. When I called for one, they said they're packed for the next 25 days. So what was I supposed to do, stop using it for that long? A couple of phone calls and I got an 8:00 slot. Car was ready by 13:00.

Work Done :

Nothing special. Checked everything, since it was the first service. Had specifically asked for (i) Lubrication of inner door opening levers since one of them had begun to squeak for some reason, and (ii) Horn to be replaced since I thought the one I got was seriously rubbish. BOTH jobs were done promptly.

Also, they polished the interior panels, leaving a slightly annoying shine on the brown dash panels. But a clean interior is a clean interior. And I've learned to appreciate one after getting the Corolla detailed a couple of days back.

Costs :

Zilch. This was the first free service. Even the horn was replaced free of charge.

Hyundai A.S.S. ? Excellent first experience. Not that it's my first experience with them actually, given that the Accent this car replaced was with us for 9 years. So, upto expectations as usual. Next service is at 10,000 km.

Positives :

Just a couple of things that I really like, which others hate or find discontent with. Firstly, the absence of an audible notification when locking / unlocking the doors is simply fantastic. Secondly, the absence of a vanity mirror on the sun blinds is pure genius. I expect ladies to come prepared, and not fiddle with potentially interior-staining make-up in the car.

Apart from that, the usual stuff about the wide grin on my face everytime I pop open the key, the fantastic looks, great comfort, sweet equipment list... yada yada.

Negatives :
  • ACC is simply ineffective. Have to really work it to get some sort of cooling. On an average, for the same level of comfort, the i20 ACC has to be set to 3 degrees C lower than my Corolla ACC. For instance, while I'm usually comfortable @ 24 deg in the Corolla, this thing needs to be set to 21 deg. Not at all happy. I would have lost it completely by now if I hadn't put the 3M sunfilm all around.
  • Why the hell does recirculation mode get cancelled everytime I press "Auto" ?
  • Illumination is inadequate. Period. With proper advice, I'm planning to upgrade without voiding my warranty.
  • Rear seatbelt indicators showed unbuckled when there was no one and nothing at all at the rear. Disappeared after three days of ownership. Not cool.
  • That single horn is a joke. No one takes me seriously on the road. I'm not an attention-seeker, but don't go sermonizing me about horn usage. I honk to save peoples' lives, especially retards who cross the road without looking. And this horn isn't going to save any lives. Heck, it's downright dangerous to drive on the highway with such an inadequate horn. Thought something was wrong with mine, had it replaced during the first service but it still sounds like someone stepped on a chicken and it squawked. Have to replace this with a dual horn asap.
Future Plans : HELP !

(i) Horn
- Please suggest brands, and what I sound keep in mind regarding wiring / warranty.
(ii) Headlamps - Completely illiterate & oblivious. No fancy HID's and xenons though. Please suggest.
(ii) Seat Covers - No art leather / suede. Only washable fabric. Recommend places in Mumbai?
(iii) Maybe some car care products? Simple dash cleaning / polish and tyre shine, maybe.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th November 2009 at 19:49.
Old 9th November 2009, 19:48   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the experience on regular basis.

I have had a general observation that Hyundai ACs are slightly less powerful than the one in Suzuki's.
With which car are you comparing the stock headlights?.
The single horn is still a norm in many cars so cant really blame Hyundai

Quote:
Secondly, the absence of a vanity mirror on the sun blinds is pure genius. I expect ladies to come prepared, and not fiddle with potentially interior-staining make-up in the car.
LOL you have a lot to learn
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 19:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you on the audible 'beep' on locking/unlocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

Secondly, the absence of a vanity mirror on the sun blinds is pure genius. I expect ladies to come prepared, and not fiddle with potentially interior-staining make-up in the car.

In time you will come to know the value of vanity mirrors buddy, in time you will!

(iii) Maybe some car care products? Simple dash cleaning / polish and tyre shine, maybe.

You can try these (the packaging/label ARE deceptive)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1548282-post46.html

I have been using all of them and they are top notch products.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote