Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 16:39   #1321
BHPian
 
gsachin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 57
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
++

Wiper, besides various speeds:

-press the wiper washer switch(end of the wiper liver), this will enable wiper operation for 3 times with washer fluid

-Do not operate the washer more thn 10 seconds at a time and never
operate washer when the reservoir is empty.

-Lift the wiper arms up when the vehicle is to be pakred for a long
period (This will improve the life of wiper rubber)

-Do not use the wipers in high speed when it is just drizzling.
Presto Nair Ji...

Just to add:
- always press the wiper wash switch when using the wiper for the first time. this ensures dust particles are cleaned from the wind screen effortlessly and save the screen getting scratched.
- never operate the wiper if it has developed cracks and it can lead to scratches on the screen
- the adjustment between 1-6 is for intermittent use of the wiper viz. the first position of using the wiper. This is a timer for the intermittent use of the wiper in a drizzle i.e. you can adjust the delay of operation depending on the strength of the drizzle

To add to the list of gems - the rear fog lamp. It's there in the tail light assembly. Quite useful and handy in the foggy conditions here currently

Last edited by gsachin21 : 8th January 2010 at 16:40.
gsachin21 is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 16:46   #1322
BHPian
 
sv1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post

And guys, what with all this DTE talk!! Buy a diesel and forget all this mileage issues!!!
Unni, You've nailed it on the head. Hail diesel

Sadly, there aren't too many people who would enjoy a drive to state borders for a tea!
sv1976 is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 16:53   #1323
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Also
-Do not use the wipers to clean accumulated dust & brid droppings on the windshield
This will lead to cut marks on the rubber and hence poor cleaning quality.

Rear Fog lamp - Yes,it is quite useful and moreover it will safeguard from hitting by vehciles coming behind in heavy fog conditions !
nairrk is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 17:53   #1324
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can someone provide information about usability of the aux in port provided. Can this be used to connect the mobile phone too as I have huge songs list in my mobile (4 GB card). Has anyone used the aux in, what cable is needed for connection. Also the 12V supply connection provided, any idea which car phone charger can be used for the same.
I think someone already answered, but I have connected blackberry, sony ericsson and my transcend player through the Aux-in. The volume level has to be 15 or above to get an equivalent of level 5 to 7 of the CD mode. It may vary depending on the brand and gadget. Ideal method is to give less volume on the external gadget and higher volume on the 2 Din knob. Cable is the ordinary one with PC stereo pin on both sides. About the 12V port, I think all the car chargers will fit in perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Unni, You've nailed it on the head. Hail diesel.
Sadly, there aren't too many people who would enjoy a drive to state borders for a tea!
Guys, nobody is crying over the mileage here !! As long as you are in the 'best driver's car', would you bother about the mileage at all ? Expressed concern is about the accuracy of the so-called DTE ! Some people find it totally mis-leading, some people find it accurate after the first service, some find it always far from real. So, take it as an indication not a reliable information ! Thank Ford, atleast there is a display. If you are on a highway not knowing where is the next filling station, you have a fuel warning light that gets life from 80 km downwards.
shajufx is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 18:29   #1325
BHPian
 
unni.ak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Unni, You've nailed it on the head. Hail diesel

Sadly, there aren't too many people who would enjoy a drive to state borders for a tea!
The only reason I bought a diesel is because I love to drive and keep finding reasons to do so! We should catch up sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Guys, nobody is crying over the mileage here !!
Yeah, so true!
unni.ak is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 18:51   #1326
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default 12V/CIGARETTE POWER ADAPTORS, DC-to-AC invertors/converters etc etc

For people looking for info about charging mobile/ipods/iphone/laptop etc:

Car Battery/12V sockets are DC power while what we get in our home is AC power. So basically all these adaptors we are after are DC to AC power converters.

You can either opt for dedicated adaptors designed for a specific purpose, like, nokia/sony etc mobile car charger adaptor.

Advantage of this type of adaptors are less strain on battery since the DC-to-AC conversion are only for the amount of power required or designed for. Are avlbl in the range of 100/- to upto 500/-. Better to go in for branded one's. See the example iphone/ipod usb charger below.

OR

Go in for a universal adaptor which provides a home-style 3-pin 5-amp power socket, which can be used for virtually anything, since the same power plug which you use to charge inside home can be connected to this. These are avlbl in the range of 75W/100W/150W/200W etc, price can range from 800/- to 2500/- depending on the wattage output. See the example of Belkin (reputed brand) below. This comes with fuse etc so that battery is protected in case of overload.

Where to purchase : Ebay/Rediff/Indiatimes or your local Chroma/eZone /mobile/electronic stores..nowadays I have found these to be avlbl even in local electrical shops. But since it is an electrical accessory, safe to go in for branded ones than the cheaper Chinese ones.
Attached Images
 
sanjayc is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 19:21   #1327
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Same here. I'll meet you @ Chennai Ford then!

Hey guys, the DTE showing 400+ was just an example. Don't take it too seriously. I'll fill up tomorrow and give the exact figure.
the salesguy at ford told me that DTE gives correct figures only on the first start of the day and for the rest it is just a assumption.
ruchirtnt is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 19:54   #1328
BHPian
 
Rastapopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 215
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
the salesguy at ford told me that DTE gives correct figures only on the first start of the day and for the rest it is just a assumption.
The sales guy was just using his gift of gab. how would the car know its 1st start of the day

If he means a cold start then probably it would make sense. I am imagining a car parked overnight with little petrol vapors (which would help it to calculate the exact amount of fuel available) a good way for the artificial intelligence to calculate the DTE based on the driving style till any given point of time.

I think all of us who are busy trying to put across their understanding/observations need to check what ruchir has recommended. It might be the most accurate prediction of DTE. I will check this tomorrow morning.
Rastapopoulos is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 20:11   #1329
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default AUX-IN cable related

Came across quite a few posts here as well as some other threads regarding the aux-in port and the confusion surrounding it.

First of all, those who think iPods/MP3 players can be controlled via this and the HU, NO, it will not.

The aux-in port is just like the 3.5mm socket found in ipod/mobile/laptops/mp3/4 players/TV/walkman etc where headphones or earphones are connected. Just that, instead of the 2 headphone/earphone speakers, the car-speakers are at the other end.

Once the gadget is connected to the aux-in via this 3.5mm stereo audio cable, the sound output goes to HU and amplified to the speakers.

Notice the 2 black threads on the stereo cable..these pertain to the left/right audio cables in a typical stereo setup. In certain ipod/iphone/mobile headphone, there may be an extra thread (see the white earphone in the image below, supplied with iPhone) which is used to control some basic functions of the gadget (like next track/pause/play etc) from the headphone cable itself.

Since the aux-in connection is only for audio, hence the HU will have no control over the gadget..you need to use the gadget directly for playing & controlling the audio/songs. (Tip: buy a long stereo cable, so that your kids will control the gadget from the rear, while you concentrate on driving)

Some gadgets will have a smaller 2.5mm socket, for which, you can buy a 2.5mm to 3.5mm audio converter socket.

The same aux-in can be used with even RCA cables (the red/white/yellow ones which is found with DVD players and now with external USB Hard Disk based media players). For this, you need to buy a cable which has got the red & white audio pin at one end (which goes in the gadget) and the other end is a single pin like the normal stereo cable, which goes into the aux-in.

Typically, these cables and converters costs between 100-300 bucks. Look for the gold-plated ones which are better in quality. Also, check for the stiffness of the cord..the softer the better to manage inside a car.

Can be purchased online at ebay or any electronics/audio/video/ chroma/ ezone/ mobile stores.

As pointed out by Shaju, the aux-in will produce half the volume compared to the in-build CD. Hence, when connected to the aux-in, the volume on HU as well as gadget should be increased - experiment for the correct combination.

You can even use your laptop/netbook to play mp3/videos on the laptop and listen the audio output thru car speakers - use the headphone socket on laptop and the stereo cable for this.

NOTE: Do not forget to press the AUX button on the HU to put the same in aux mode..otherwise no sound will come out of the car speakers.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by sanjayc : 8th January 2010 at 20:14.
sanjayc is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 20:15   #1330
BHPian
 
Rastapopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 215
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Came across quite a few posts here as well as some other threads regarding the aux-in port and the confusion surrounding it.

First of all, those who think iPods/MP3 players can be controlled via this and the HU, NO, it will not.

The aux-in port is just like the 3.5mm socket found in ipod/mobile/laptops/mp3/4 players/TV/walkman etc where headphones or earphones are connected. Just that, instead of the 2 headphone/earphone speakers, the car-speakers are at the other end.

Once the gadget is connected to the aux-in via this 3.5mm stereo audio cable, the sound output goes to HU and amplified to the speakers.

Notice the 2 black threads on the stereo cable..these pertain to the left/right audio cables in a typical stereo setup. In certain ipod/iphone/mobile headphone, there may be an extra thread (see the white earphone in the image below, supplied with iPhone) which is used to control some basic functions of the gadget (like next track/pause/play etc) from the headphone cable itself.

Since the aux-in connection is only for audio, hence the HU will have no control over the gadget..you need to use the gadget directly for playing & controlling the audio/songs. (Tip: buy a long stereo cable, so that your kids will control the gadget from the rear, while you concentrate on driving)

Some gadgets will have a smaller 2.5mm socket, for which, you can buy a 2.5mm to 3.5mm audio converter socket.

The same aux-in can be used with even RCA cables (the red/white/yellow ones which is found with DVD players and now with external USB Hard Disk based media players). For this, you need to buy a cable which has got the red & white audio pin at one end (which goes in the gadget) and the other end is a single pin like the normal stereo cable, which goes into the aux-in.

Typically, these cables and converters costs between 100-300 bucks. Look for the gold-plated ones which are better in quality. Also, check for the stiffness of the cord..the softer the better to manage inside a car.

Can be purchased online at ebay or any electronics/audio/video/ chroma/ ezone/ mobile stores.

As pointed out by Shaju, the aux-in will produce half the volume compared to the in-build CD. Hence, when connected to the aux-in, the volume on HU as well as gadget should be increased - experiment for the correct combination.

You can even use your laptop/netbook to play mp3/videos on the laptop and listen the audio output thru car speakers - use the headphone socket on laptop and the stereo cable for this.

NOTE: Do not forget to press the AUX button on the HU to put the same in aux mode..otherwise no sound will come out of the car speakers.

Sanjay that was really informative
Rastapopoulos is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 20:38   #1331
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

DTE thing is being now!

Here is the patent information. GO FIGURE.

Apparatus for indicating distance to empty of a vehicle, and a method thereof - US Patent 6961656 Claims
---------------
1. An apparatus for indicating an initial distance to empty at completion of fueling of a vehicle, comprising:

first means for detecting an amount of fuel in a fuel tank;

second means for detecting if a fuel tank lid is open or closed;

third means for detecting the vehicle speed;

fourth means for calculating a fluctuating fuel consumption rate based on information from the first means, second means, and third means, and calculating an initial distance to empty available from the fuel at completion of fueling based on the fluctuating fuel consumption rate and a predetermined fixed fuel consumption rate; and

fifth means for displaying the calculated initial distance to empty,
wherein the fluctuating fuel consumption rate is derived from calculation of traveled distance divided by amount of fuel consumption between previous closing and current opening of the fuel tank lid, wherein the calculating the initial distance to empty comprises:

calculating the first distance to empty based on the predetermined fixed fuel consumption rate and the amount of fuel;

calculating the second distance to empty based on the fluctuating fuel consumption rate and the amount of fuel;

calculating a compensation value defined as the first distance to empty subtracted by the second distance to empty; and

calculating the initial distance to empty by calculation of the second distance to empty subtracted by the compensation value.

2. The apparatus of claim 1, wherein the fourth means comprises a central processing unit operated by predetermined software, and a memory storing data processed by the central processing unit, the predetermined software being programmed to execute instructions for:

determining if the fueling of the fuel tank has started;

calculating, when the fueling of the fuel tank has started, a fluctuating fuel consumption rate by calculation of traveled distance divided by amount of fuel consumed between the previous closing and the current opening of the fuel tank lid;

determining if the fueling of the fuel tank is completed;

determining, when the fueling of the fuel tank is completed, the amount of fuel; and

calculating the initial distance to empty available from the amount of fuel at completion of fueling based on the fluctuating fuel consumption rate and the predetermined fixed fuel consumption rate.

3. The apparatus of claim 1, wherein the fifth means for displaying is a liquid crystal display apparatus.

4. A method for indicating an initial distance to empty at completion of fueling comprising:

determining if fueling of the fuel tank has started;

calculating, when the fueling of the fuel tank has started, a fluctuating fuel consumption rate by calculation of traveled distance divided by amount of fuel consumption between completion of previous fueling and start of current fueling;

determining if fueling of the fuel tank is completed;

calculating, when the fueling of the fuel tank is completed, the amount of fuel; and

calculating the initial distance to empty available from the fuel at completion of fueling based on the fluctuating fuel consumption rate and a predetermined fixed fuel consumption rate, wherein the calculating the initial distance to empty comprises:

calculating the first distance to empty based on the predetermine fixed fuel consumption rate and the amount of fuel;

calculating the second distance to empty based on the fluctuating fuel consumption rate and the amount of fuel;

calculating a compensation value defined as calculation of the first distance to empty subtracted by the second distance; and

calculating the initial distance to empty by calculation of the second distance to empty subtracted by the compensation value.
-----------------

Guys, just like your laptop/camera/camcorder battery info is provided and keeps changing based on usage/no. of application open etc, ditto here.

What ruchir says makes sense..just like a compute is booted up first time, it should show the initial estimate (which is always the max charge left), and subsequently depending on usage, the remaining charge is calculated in real-time basis..which always is lower than the first estimate.

This seems to be true when the engine is cold started - I have noticed the DTE figures to be highest during the entire day - and subsequently keeps on varying between x & y, where x/y is never higher than the initial DTE estimate.

I am searching for a OBD-II reader which can be plugged-in the OBD port (under the steering wheel in Fiesta & front left bottom door in Ikon) and realtime analysis of the vehicle condition can be had on a laptop using suitable software. This is the same port which the service center guys use for ECU reset/mapping etc and to know the vehicle conditions/troubleshooting. Ordered one-such dongle with bluetooth from dealextreme but the item was out of stock. Will be sourcing soon for my carputer project for Fiesta. Search for "carputer" in tbhp for more info.
sanjayc is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 21:17   #1332
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
Hope to hear something positive in this front from the Chennai Ford meet.
Not sure if any FORD company guys will be around. Cannot rely of service center guys to confirm on the BS 4 issue.

But from Ford, the email says it is already compliant, isn't it? Can SIAM reliably comment on specific brands/engine models? Not Sure!

Read an article sometime back in Economic Times that mfgrs are asking govt to extend the deadline for BS4, since the consistent availability of BS4 compliant fuel itself is not in place (read oil refining companies like IOC/HP etc are not yet geared up it seems)..which means dependency is not only on engine but fuel quality as well.
sanjayc is offline  
Old 8th January 2010, 22:04   #1333
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Read an article sometime back in Economic Times that mfgrs are asking govt to extend the deadline for BS4, since the consistent availability of BS4 compliant fuel itself is not in place (read oil refining companies like IOC/HP etc are not yet geared up it seems)..which means dependency is not only on engine but fuel quality as well.
Oilcos won't have any problem supplying fuel to the 11 cities that are going BS4. Their problem is supplying fuel to the rest of the country that's going BS3.

The current Fiesta is not BS4 compliant. If it was, Ford would have been advertising it as such just like the Ritz. Ford will have to tweak the engine and the exhaust to some extent to make it BS4 compliant. The email just says the Fiesta will continue to work with BS4 fuel. As if we did not know that. They cleverly avoided answering Mayuk's actual question.

Last edited by Gilead : 8th January 2010 at 22:09.
Gilead is offline  
Old 9th January 2010, 06:59   #1334
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The current Fiesta is not BS4 compliant. If it was, Ford would have been advertising it as such just like the Ritz. Ford will have to tweak the engine and the exhaust to some extent to make it BS4 compliant. The email just says the Fiesta will continue to work with BS4 fuel. As if we did not know that. They cleverly avoided answering Mayuk's actual question.
Wow!Great! So we continue enjoying the non-tweaked version..like they say..Enjoy the Power
sanjayc is offline  
Old 9th January 2010, 10:16   #1335
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

imo, you all are just worrying about DTE,BS4 etc?
I never worried about these gadget/ norms etc as I got a car with power and performance and it gives driving pleasure/satisfaction, thats what I wanted and am happy.

regarding re-fueling: This can be estimated once the low fuel warning light comes up, from then you can refuel within 80kms distance. But recommend not to wait till it reaches 79/80kms, I think you can safely go upto 65/70kms but then you should be able to find a petrol pump nearby. So it is better to refuel within few kms after the warning light started glowing!
nairrk is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please ram.west Motorbikes 1494 7th July 2017 17:31
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here PAVAN KADAM Shifting gears 2879 26th October 2016 18:06
All T-BHP INNOVA Owners- Your Car Pics here Please btirthankar Shifting gears 104 16th December 2011 09:51
All Laura Owners and Accord Owners, Please stand up personified Sedans 9 11th December 2008 17:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks