Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2010, 14:55   #1366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
The Fiesta owners manual says that -

For Diesel Cars - to use only high quality fuel without additives or other
engine treatments. (Warning- Do not mix diesel with oil,petrol or other
liquids. This could cause a chemical reaction) ??
Yes. Indeed. I stand corrected.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:08   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouheet View Post
Driving pleasure still the same as day 1. I am determined to not cross 2500 RPM and 100 kms/hr speed barrier until the first service. It is so hard to control that urge to unleash it once.
At yday Chennai Ford meet, the presenter told that current engines can be run to 120 km straight out of the showroom, but the sales people generally advise to keep it below 100 for safety reason.

Also, please note my earlier post from the "Quick Reference Guide" regarding the 3000 rpm thing.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:25   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Guys, inputs required on the following:

As per quick customer guide, "Effective Engine Performance" page
- Race the engine to 3000 RPM for 30 sec while driving at least once a week.
- Do not switch off engine immediately after coming to a halt as this may damage the turbocharger...idle the engine for 30 secs before moving and before switching off the engine.

Does the above apply to both Petrol/Diesel?
+
What I was given to understand is that Turbocharger function is there only in Diesel engines and not petrol (Diesel experts -please correct if I am wrong) so this terms applicable only Diesel engines?

Regarding RPM 3000 for 30 seconds can be applicable for both petrol and
diesel variants.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:31   #1369
BHPian

Whatever happened to the ashtray in the Fiesta? It was there in my Ikon, both in the dash as well as rear passenger doors! Yday, felt the need, could not locate! Is it there or not?
Old 11th January 2010, 15:53   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is avlbl off the shelf.
I guess it should be avlbl on BPCL/IBP outlets..need to check personally.
Till now I have been getting it from MPL Ford A.S.S and Bosch service centers.
I could not find system-G anywhere (searched almost 8 different fuel stations and over half a dozen lubricant shops in bangalore city) as suggested by the dealer, atlast got it from the fuel station owned by the Ford dealer (india garage, st.mark's road). So, I dont think its easily available as talked about.

Quote:
Whatever happened to the ashtray in the Fiesta? It was there in my Ikon, both in the dash as well as rear passenger doors! Yday, felt the need, could not locate! Is it there or not?
I think Fiesta is now meant for non-smokers ! You are supposed to use that energy to smoke the engine.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:57   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Ashtray is absent in the Fiesta post the face lift in 2008. Guess Ford wants to promote health awareness
Old 11th January 2010, 15:57   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+
haha .. I never checked on this one as I am a non-smoker and will never allow any one to sit in my car and smoke. Also I have not seen any such
space in the car.

However, I have seen one of my friend use the central console -the rear cupholder as ashtray (kept a small ashtray like thing in the cupholder - I dont know from where he got this which almost fits exactly there and easy to clean also)
Old 11th January 2010, 16:04   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
+
haha .. I never checked on this one as I am a non-smoker and will never allow any one to sit in my car and smoke. Also I have not seen any such
space in the car.

However, I have seen one of my friend use the central console -the rear cupholder as ashtray (kept a small ashtray like thing in the cupholder - I dont know from where he got this which almost fits exactly there and easy to clean also)
+
I actually never smoke inside a fully closed area ..and whenever I smoke sitting inside the car (only when alone), I ensure the windows are open. I don't feel comfortable throwing cig ash/butts all around and hence needed the ashtray.

Sure the small compartment under the steering is not for this purpose?

Now it seems I have to do some DIY;-}

EDIT: Going by the untouchable attitude you guys are showing about smokers, I think it is hightime for me to quit smoking;-}

Last edited by sanjayc : 11th January 2010 at 16:08.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:20   #1374
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Where can I get System G? Does Chennai Ford stock it?

I wanted to join you guys on Sat, but got tied up with other stuff.
You can get it any BP station, or any other automobile store, i dont think any ford will have it.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:24   #1375
Senior - BHPian

@sanjay
Your EDIT portion is appreciable, If you can? (I was a heavy smoker about 23 years back).

The Small compartment under the steering is definitely not for filling with ash and butts.

If needed, you can keep some round vessel in the rear cup-holder (single cup position i.e without pulling the holder which will make way for two cups) and use same as Ashtray (yes DIY?)

Does this mean that FORD is against Smoking, hence no ashtray facility inside the fiesta (dont know about other models) ??
Old 11th January 2010, 16:29   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+
Sure the small compartment under the steering is not for this purpose?
Please dont use that tiny shelf for ash, I use it as my car charger shelf. Visit a good auto-accessory shop, you will get different designs and sizes of ashtrays that can fit in various places. Dont bother about DIY, its easily available.

I remember seeing some exotic ash tray designs in a shop while picking up 'My Shaldon' perfume.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:53   #1377
BANNED

Quote:
@sanjay
Your EDIT portion is appreciable, If you can? (I was a heavy smoker about 23 years back).

The Small compartment under the steering is definitely not for filling with ash and butts.

If needed, you can keep some round vessel in the rear cup-holder (single cup position i.e without pulling the holder which will make way for two cups) and use same as Ashtray (yes DIY?)

Does this mean that FORD is against Smoking, hence no ashtray facility inside the fiesta (dont know about other models) ??
Even my almost 10 year old wagon R baby has this ash tray, the fiesta have this, not an issue, even i have taken the resolution of not going for fag inside the car, for this my wagon R is good enough (a lovely moving mini bar, when needed with friends)

Hope it will not offend the team bhp norms.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:53   #1378
BHPian

I think I will be better off not lighting up inside the car..will step out if desperate.

Now, for more serious stuff..for those who came in late, I am planning to drive down to Kolkata (my parents stay there) during this weekend and back next weekend. The total distance to/fro (3500 KM) and usage during the stay, maybe another 200 KMs. Before I start, I would have completed close to 1600Km. That totals to almost 5300+ KMs when I return back?

Now the questions are:
1. Will it void my warranty (5K/3months - 1st service issue) or couple of hundred kms will not make a difference..should I talk to the service center?

2. This will be my first such long drive..the previous one being last year end to Bangalore up/down (800Km almost) and couple of 150 KMs up/down running on NH4/5 to get over the run-in period. Touchwood, exactly zero issues faced so far. Also, this will be SOLO drive. All suggestions/advice eagerly awaited.

3. Where do I get this tubeless type repair kit?

4. I already have got the elec air-pump (same as Nairji). Have not used it so far to fill up air but have tested by attaching it to 12V socket to check if does blow out air, atlest.

5. Apart from the tons of info avlbl here in TBHP about long distance travel (which still I am trying my best to soak in), any Fiesta/Ford specific tips? Nairji comes readily to mind, for his long journeys!

6. Any specific info regarding Andhra/Telengana issue creating problems on the NHs? Am planning for a night halt in Vijaywada/Vizag depending on the arrival time there.

7. Should I carry a)engine oil b)coolant c) anything else just in case? If yes, which brand / where to get?

8. Till now I have been completely dependent on the A.S.S guys for anything under the bonnet/hood? Any useful links to do some minor troublesootings, if need arose?

Thanks.
Old 11th January 2010, 17:15   #1379
Senior - BHPian

@Sanjay
Some answers which I can reply as under:

1-Yes, better to talk to the dealer/service centre(If possible sent them
email also to make sure that you have told them the fact). Also suggest
take a date for servie from them.(you know approximately when you are
going to back in chennai- so accordingly book the service in advance)

2- Maintain a good speed always and be careful when driving /overtaking
-take rest in between,whenever required.

3- Probably from a tyre shop?

4- I too did not try it so far. but this will be sufficient to pump some air
till you reach next/nearest tyre workshop.

5-No, I have not taken any special precaution. But I prefer to start
early morning and stop driving before dark and then take rest. I always
used to keep atleast 2 full bottle of drinking water on board. Book hotel
in advance, where you wish to break the journey.
Before starting, check the car for coolent,engine oil,wiper fluid etc
Probably you may not require to replenish anything on the way except
wiper fluid if the windsheild get dirty often and you use the wiper washer
frequently (in emergency you can put water instead of proper wiper
fluid)

6-No idea

7-imo, not required?

8-hmm.. Its a new car - what problem anticipated?
+++

sanjay - I too will be driving down to chennai on the 16th or the 17th of this month
(may be around 700/750kms one way) and will return after couple of days

Last edited by nairrk : 11th January 2010 at 17:19. Reason: addition
Old 11th January 2010, 17:34   #1380
BHPian

@ Nair Ji

Here is today's new paper report on Ford Focus:

FOR WORLD MARKETS
One Ford: Global car Focus to roll out today
Bill Vlasic

He blew into the Ford Motor Company in 2006 as an outsider from a different industry, and he was hailed as the latest in a long line of purported saviours of a faltering, century-old automotive icon. At the time, sceptics in the clubby world of auto executives whispered that the newcomer, Alan R Mulally, would be swallowed up by the complexities of the car business, his ebullient personality smothered by the feudal infighting for which Ford had long been famous.
Yet three years into his tenure as chief executive and with a host of still nettlesome challenges awaiting him Mulally has thus far proved to be the unifying figure that Ford has needed for decades.
His vision is distilled in the laminated, wallet-size cards carried by tens of thousands of Ford employees that spell out his management principles beneath a simple heading: One Ford ... One Team ... One Plan ... One Goal. And on Monday, at the opening press conference of the 2010 Detroit auto show, Mulally will unveil the car that embodies his strategy for returning Ford to its status as a leader in the global auto industry.
That car, the new Ford Focus, is arguably as important to Mulally as the Model T was to Henry Ford, the founder. Despite some previous efforts, the Focus is Ford’s first truly global car a single vehicle designed and engineered for customers in every region of the world and sold under one name. It is small, fuel-efficient and packed with technology and safety features that, Mulally believes, will appeal to consumers in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
The car represents what Mulally calls the proof point of everything he has done since joining Ford after a 37-year career with Boeing: he hopes the vehicle will provide a rolling blueprint for generations of Ford cars to come. “If we were going to be world-class, we needed to pull together and leverage and use our global assets around the world to create a powerhouse One Ford,” he said. NYT NEWS SERVICE

And here is the link of this news where you can get a glimpse of Focus: Welcome - Times Of India ePaper
Closed Thread