Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th November 2009, 18:37   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default i20 Asta - 2 months after I got the keys!!

Hi All,

I purchased a Berry Red i20 Asta about 2 months back. I am writing into Team-BHP for the first time and the reviews and opinions voiced here were a great help during the selection/purchase processs. Been in love with the car and here is what i feel about it 2 months (1,200kms) down the line.

Disclaimer: Don't have much vehicle knowhow, have driven only dad's WagonR and few other cars (occassionally) before this

Pros
1.Great handling on road, really high ride quality except for the suspension, which I will touch upon later
2.Interiors feel great and I just love the goodies loaded on to this one
3.Spacious and solid, the car makes you feel safe and comfy
Cons
1. Suspension - Hard. Have talked to the service guy and he says its a manufacturing defect. They are getting parts from Hyundai to replace (I think he called it bushings for suspension). If any of you had the same problem, please let me know if it was resolved in the same manner. Now, on all potholes, the entire carriage trembles and parts clinker like on a roadways bus, have to drive really slowly
2. Mileage - Most driving done in bumper to bumper traffic, and get around 9-10, in cases where most driving was done on Western Express Highway (Mumbai), got around 11-12...not sure if this is great/bad.

Apart from these, I have seen scratches appear on the body without even feeling the slightest hint of contact with other vehicle. Quite a few now, and it feels like the car will look real old without even seeing 5K kms

Do the service center guys do color touchups or anything to hide/remove these scratches? I know the ones that go down to the metal are not treatable, but most ones on my car are of the white variety, hopefully can be treated. After the first service, the guy just sent the car back in the condition I sent it, not sure if he did anything on it

Please let me know if all of these issues sound like they happen due to bad driving, and any tips/links to improve the same. At the cost of sounding naive, I must say I feel like an expensive car is going down the drain due to it. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?
im_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 20:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_driver View Post
I purchased a Berry Red i20 Asta about 2 months back. I am writing into Team-BHP for the first time and the reviews and opinions voiced here were a great help during the selection/purchase processs. Been in love with the car and here is what i feel about it 2 months (1,200kms) down the line.
Would've been great if you had mentioned what motor is powering your car. Is yours an 1.2 Petrol version, or the 1.4 CRDi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_driver View Post
Apart from these, I have seen scratches appear on the body without even feeling the slightest hint of contact with other vehicle. Quite a few now, and it feels like the car will look real old without even seeing 5K kms
Possibly, beggars and urchins scratching your car while they walk around. This happens to every other car on the road, and there is no reason to get upset about that - just part of the "road life".
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 20:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry about the tiny scratches- they seem inevitable. Plan for a 3M treatment twice a year, and your car would come out like new...

BTW, Welcome to Team BHP! And Congrats on the new buy

Drive Safe!
ph03n!x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 10:12   #4

Thanks guys. I have a 1.2L petrol.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:37   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on your i20.
I couldn't understand the suspension bit you have explained. Do you think that the suspension is worse than your dad's wagonR? I also own a Berry Red i20 Asta 1.2 for the past 6 months, but I haven't faced any problem with suspension till now.
Bala_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 11:59   #6

Hi Bala,

The problem I face is that every bump and pothole is effectively transferred to the cabin, as if there were no shock absorption. Definitely does not happen in my dad's WagonR. The result is that i hear weird rattling sounds from all over the cabin.

When I explained this to the service guy, he told me its a manufacturing defect and he has ordered parts from Hyundai. It might be a case with a particular batch.

Did this clarify it a bit more? Sorry, not very handy with the lingo, but will definitely pick up as I spend more time here
Old 13th November 2009, 12:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your i20.

Slightly OT, does anyone know of the cost of a duplicate remote for the i20 ? I came across this post : My Minimal Grey Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk - Page 7 | Reviews | Car Forums - CarWale.com
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 14:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Mongrats on the buy. Pls add some pics.
mileage is low when 1.2L Kappa eng is concern. mostly could be due to driving habits.
Wait till the first service and check the FE.

Yes, those scratched can be removed, but will tell us to get the whole area (door/panel) repainted. Better to live with them and get painted later, once if there is a bigger damage.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 15:11   #9
BANNED

im driver, congratulations on your uber cool ownership.Hyundai has given some good hatchbacks with good build quality and good interiors as well.Suspention issue, havent heard from my friend who owns one nor have felt while driving her car as well.Post some pictures of your wheels.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote