Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd November 2009, 15:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

I have seen Hella "Black Magic" on a friends SUV. They do NOT at all blind oncoming traffic, as they are focussed perfectly.

Yes I do find the low beam adequate, no question about it, bit as Samurai said the spread feels inadequate on unfamiliar & pitch dark roads, hence the question. No I do not intend to add any bull bars.

Thanks
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 11:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

Ok so now I am getting a consistent 8.6 kmpl in city use. Yet to do a run on the NH8 for highway mileage.

Seems to be doing OK.

Cheers
Old 16th December 2009, 10:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Ok so now I am getting 9 kmpl in city & a short highway run gave me 10.6 kmpl. Sounds good to me. Tyre pressure a consistent 32.

The one thing that I have noticed is that I need to stay in the right rev band to derive the optimum acceleration. Feels very different from the Diesels that I have been driving - a different animal altogether, but a fun on none the less !!

Cheers
Old 16th December 2009, 11:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

That is actually good Ricky. Is this full tank to full tank or the MID reading?

How much difference do they show. My MID shows between 7 to 8 kmpl but I got 9.3 last time. This time I have covered 348kms already and the fuel meter shows around 40% remaining. Considering every time I fill 50 lts it has already reached the 7kmpl mark and still lot of it left. This time I am not too conscious about acceleration.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 23:57   #50
R_R
BHPian

@Ricky_63 & Ym-enjn: Enjoying both of your write-ups about your respective GVs. Always loved the GV. Just wondering, did either of you consider CNG as an option given the expense of petrol, or is that not suitable for an SUV like the GV?
R_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 11:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Well the mileage is with tankful to tankful AND the mileage display. There was very little difference in both of those.

R_R CNG has been suggested to me, but I really don't think I am going that route. I'd rather switch to a diesel in case I feel the pinch. Too many horror stories about CNG buses catching fire !!

Cheers
Old 17th February 2010, 15:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

The mileage I am getting now is a consistent 9.5 kmpl in the city & 10.7 kmpl on the highway.

Another thing I wanted to share. On an emergency braking occassion within the city, from a speed of not more than 40 kmpl. I noticed a distinct lockup & a short skid. Given that the GV is ABS equipped is this behaviour in order. My tyres are in good shape, having more than 60% left on them.

Another thing I notice is while braking on the slope of my basement parking there is a distinct squeaking from the brakes, though the discs are not showing any uneven wear or lines on it. Guess I'll have it checked out at the 20k service which is due shortly.

Any advice on this would be welcome..

Cheers
Old 17th February 2010, 15:35   #53
BHPian

Hey Congrats Rakesh. Awsome Buy , it looks awsome & very very clean.

Last week only me & my friend were wondering about which 4x4 to buy & the only option was GV but it was out of our limits. So now we wait for the Thar or may be build a jeep.
Let us know us on it performance & how do you find it.

I know Samu san is in love with his GV so no point asking him
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 21:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Got the 20K service done today . The drive is far smoother though I've only driven 12 kms sice

Spark plugs / engine oil / oil filter / differential oil/s / gear box oil / engine decarb (which I thought was not needed), but got everything done as the car si still under warranty.

Total damage around 7.5k

Cheers
Old 28th March 2010, 10:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

Are there any ECU upgrades available for the 2 litre Vitara ?? Though I find this vehicle a pleasure to drive, just wondering if extra power could be got out of a simple ECU remap.

Anyone done it here ? Or knowing of where it could be done / sourced may kindly reply.

Thanks in advance..
Old 28th March 2010, 14:43   #56
Team-BHP Support

^^^A Race Dynamics ECU might be the solution to your problem, search the forum.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 18:39   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

The ECU in vehicles sold in India is de-tuned. The Jap version is for 139bhp from the same 2.0lts engine vis 118bhp in India.
Have not seriously thought about this line since engine detune is on account of fuel that is sold in India. In city you can get higher octane fuel but my driving takes me to remote places and did not want to risk constant "knocking" led engine wear tear.
Are you serious guinea pig contender for trying this out? Buy a ECU from Singapore and plug it in. That's should be all needed to be done. RaceDynamics is also possibility but some one will have to come up with proper graphs and settings.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 10:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^^A Race Dynamics ECU might be the solution to your problem, search the forum.
Race Dynamics is out of the question, I have had to wait for 2 months for my ECU maps for my Swift. Finally got nothing & just forgot about any real help coming from them. Major let down & great loss of time = huge disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The ECU in vehicles sold in India is de-tuned. The Jap version is for 139bhp from the same 2.0lts engine vis 118bhp in India.
Have not seriously thought about this line since engine detune is on account of fuel that is sold in India. In city you can get higher octane fuel but my driving takes me to remote places and did not want to risk constant "knocking" led engine wear tear.
Are you serious guinea pig contender for trying this out? Buy a ECU from Singapore and plug it in. That's should be all needed to be done. RaceDynamics is also possibility but some one will have to come up with proper graphs and settings.

Has anyone actually tried the Jap version ECU ? Any pointers on what it may cost ? If it is a simple unplug old - plug in new, I think I may give it a shot. April 1st onwards we'd be getting BS IV complaint fuel, so would that not suffice ?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 29th March 2010 at 10:34.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:59   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Race Dynamics is out of the question, I have had to wait for 2 months for my ECU maps for my Swift. Finally got nothing & just forgot about any real help coming from them. Major let down & great loss of time = huge disappointment.
have a look at zakie too. a few members from delhi have got their cars remapped by him and are quite happy.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 21:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
have a look at zakie too. a few members from delhi have got their cars remapped by him and are quite happy.

That has been on my mind. Thanks for the suggestion Akshay , but I am told that he is providing only very "generic maps"

The Vitara is great as is. I do not want to take chances with it unless I am sure of the outcome.

The Swift was another story, that car is my toy car, I can experiment with it no problem. I may even TC it some day

Cheers