Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th November 2009, 22:26   #1
BHPian

Cool My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"

Just a Note - I’m absolutely new to driving cars. Most of the test drive references are from a good friend, Ashwin a.k.a. Ashley (a non Team-BHP member), who had patiently accompanied me, did all the TD sessions and continues to help out in every single way imaginable. I can’t thank Ashley enough, and the same applies to the users of Team BHP for their honest post, specially the owner of i20. Humble thanks Also, I apologize for the delay in posting this report.

How it all started:

Around April 2009, Ashley was thinking about upgrading his 9 year old - Hyundai Accent to Honda City / Civic and had booked a TD. I was just thinking about buying a car in the next few months time. Ashley and the gang gladly agreed to see the new Hyundai i20, as the Hyundai showroom was near by. After the TD and checking out the details of Honda A/T, which everyone except me hated, as it wasn’t a manual transmission. I liked it as it simple to drive (no gears changing) and the Honda Civic Manual, which was simply the best, we move to Sharayu Hyundai, Navi Mumbai. To our disappointment, the i20 TD wasn’t available, the reason – some one had crashed the demo car. I left my number with the reception. While leaving the showroom I spotted the demo car (which looked perfectly fine) and we had a general look. No sales rep where available. So I left home bit disappointed.

After a week, I got a call from the dealer saying the demo car was ready for TD. Called up Ashley and we landed there on a Sunday for the TD. A sales rep gave us the details of i20 / Getz, by then I had made up mind for going for i20 and not Getz, as it was better on features, and this was a new car. We went for the TD of only the i20, as another close friend jeez, owned Getz, which Ashley had driven around loads of time. Ashley, after driving for few meters, said the car was really good and better than the Getz. That excitement was short lived, as we weren’t allowed to take the car on the highway and the reason given – It’s Sunday. May be they sales rep and the TD instructor were bit cautious after the recent crash. I wasn’t too disappointed. We looked at the finance options and then left home.

Ashley and jeez told me not to think about any Maruti, TATA or Fiat cars (no disrespect intended, it just an personal opinion) Ashley told to do some research and referred me to Tbhp. Since then I’d been glued to the forum for all i20 related post, new launches and everything there is to be researched about.

After a few days, I had short listed to look at Ritz, Jazz and Punto, before taking the decision, all off them were yet to be launched and I wasn’t in any hurry, as the most important part finance wasn’t taken care off.

The Contenders / Test Drives
  • Ritz: Cheap finish and real ugly looks. Rejected after one look at it in hypercity, vashi.
  • Jazz: Had waited for this to launch and delayed the booking. Excellent car, liked everything about it, dash, finish, space and the drive (suspension felt a bit hard though). The price was a big big let down!! I would have booked it, had been 50k over i20. I couldn’t believe the price. Well had no other option. Ashley advice to checkout the Linea if my budget could stretch for jazz. I thought that the budget was overkill for a first car. Had no doubt about the quality for the product, but it was just out of reach. I used to get a bit disappointed every time I saw a jazz passing by, it will be tough to get over it.
  • Punto – After the jazz disappointment, few weeks later Fiat’s Punto was launched. Visited the TATA showroom near URAN Fatta. My first impression about the area was it looked more like a dump yard. No one attended to us and they didn’t allow the TD as it was 6.10pm and were told it was too late. (We had taken the jazz TD after 6.45pm !!!) Saw the demo car near by. Looked at it and the interiors didn’t appeal to me one bit, from outside well it was good but not great. But I decided I didn’t want anything to do with FIAT after reading few posts on Tbhp. However, I was very surprised to find only 50k difference between the petrol and diesel variants. Never did a TD of the car.
  • Linea – Since we weren’t allowed the TD, we checked out the Linea and I loved the car, checked the specs and was surprised to find that it was a bit underpowered for a sedan as compared to a 9-year-old Hyundai accent (Ashley’s car). The car was good on features, best value for money sedan, but again a FIAT and it over shoot my budget.
So Hyundai it is was and i20 was final!! The only thing left, apart from the funds was a second TD. The Tbhp members raised few doubts and that cause a bit of a stir. Underpowered car, low rear seats etc

Second TD: Around 2nd week of August, one afternoon after bunking office, we landed at Sharayu Hyundai. I didn’t have to say anything to Ashley for pushing the car hard. The drive on the highway was pleasant one. Ashley told me that since I’ll be new to driving, the under power nature won’t be bothering me, as I didn’t have anything to compare it too. Height adjustment and the steering adjustment meant, that I fitted in easily. Checked out the rear seat, it felt a bit low, as the position of the side windows is not appropriate with the height of rear seat, otherwise it was fine. A design flaw I think.

Meet with the sales rep, Sohel, talked about formalities and finance and then left. I was informed about the one and half month waiting time!! Well, at least it had come down from the initial 3 months waiting, when it was launched. I had all the time in the world and I still hadn’t learned to drive!!

Before leaving the premises, I decided to check the stockyard, for the color options. Lucky, i20 gray was there, which honestly, I didn’t like so much nor did I hate the color. Sigh! Now started the confusion.

The toughest part: The toughest part was to decide on which color to buy. Dad liked white, Mom disliked white (taxi she said) she liked red the most, I liked all the colors, but silver and blue were outstanding!! Ashley didn’t like blue; he felt it was bit gory. Ashley and Jeez had spotted the gray in the parking lot of center one and they loved it. (BTW, Ashley and Jeez both owned Hyundai cars – both gray variants)

Downloaded all the pictures available on Tbhp, showed it mom and dad. After a week of pestering them, we all were fed and my parents told me to buy any color I liked. So I decided dark gray, I felt in love with the color after many views and I thought the color was very uncommon.

The Family Visit: Ashley got his car for taking mom, dad and me to the showroom, the most typically thing happened. Only one sales rep present, Sohel and he was busy with a customer. Meanwhile we spotted a Berry red i20 parked inside the showroom and everyone, except for dad, felt in love with the color. Showed mom and dad the details of the car, they liked it. Ashwin took them for a ride in the demo car and I stayed back. Sohel was still attending to the customer and when he was free (that was about 20mins, after the TD), reconfirmed all the details and left. I informed sohel, that I’d be doing the loan and insurance part on my own. I had enquired about which manufacturing date of the car that will be allocated. The reply I got was July or August. I was bit shocked and told that I’ll accept the car only if the manufacturing date was August. Sohel said that he would try.

On our way back, we stopped at Hallmark Honda, showed jazz and civic. Mom & dad liked jazz, but since it was over budget, they didn’t say much.

After returning home, I had a bit of an argument with mom, about the berry red. I told her dad doesn’t like it. After some amount of deliberation, I decided to go with i20 Dark gray, a neutral choice, which mom and dad agreed too.

Booking: Booked the car on 1st of September by giving a booking amount of 50k. I confirmed to the dealer that I’ll be doing the loan and insurance part on my own. Asked for a delivery timeline, sohel enquired about the same with the manager and told one & half months, but said, if the moment 80% of the car amount was with the dealer, the car can be arranged within 8 - 10 days.

I wasn’t too sure about what sohel was saying. So called up few of the other Hyundai dealers and specifically asked for an explanation for the 80% thing, all of them said that is the process they follow for people getting the cars on loan. Also asked for a friend to use his office contacts and the answer came back the same, dealers never invest any money on their part.

Loan Process: After going through the loan section of Tbhp, I had decided to go with SBI. I'd applied in Thane RAC, on 1st of September; there are no RAC’s present in Navi Mumbai and the officer at the local bank branch assured, that the processing will be faster, if I apply directly in the RAC branch.

Loan Amount – 4 Lacs
Duration – 5 Years
ROI – 8% first year; 10% 2nd and 3rd year; 4th & 5th Year Floating; No processing fee
Time taken – 12 working days
Cons – No one visits you, EMI option only thru PDC’s, slow processing
Pros – Cheap ROI, option of part pre payment of the loan and foreclose the loan without penalties.

Meanwhile, I had also applied at axis bank, they had approved the loan process within 2 days and I would have got the cheque after 5 days, had I stuck with them. But this was just a precaution taken. I felt sorry for the sales rep and informed the base branch that the decision was solely based out of ROI. The ROI offered by axis was 9.75%. But SBI felt SBI was better, as I would be mostly foreclosing the loan.

Pre Registration Check – I had handed over the loan cheque to the dealer on the 16th and had retained the form 20 with me, (thanks to predatorwheelz), as I wanted to check the vehicle before registration. To my surprise I got a call from Sohel on the 3rd (sat) morning that the car had come and to have a look and to get the insurance cover note and form 20.

I, Ashley and geo, visited the Hyundai stock yard, and found two Gray i20’s present. We looked at every nook and corner. I found only one fault. After reading flyingspur’s post, the first thing, I looked at was the central dash and to my surprise found the gap to be uneven. I asked the PDI manager and sohel, about the same. I was assured that the complete dash would be refitted. Since I wanted to be sure, I looked at the other i20 and found the gap to be more uneven. So decided to give them the form 20 and told that I’ll be getting the insurance later. As the RTO part wasn’t possible till Monday

I decided to go with ICICI Lombard as they had a 6-EMI option, with no interest and no processing fee, though the quote was 900 Rs more than Bajaj Allianze, the EMI with PAC (for 9 lacs) was good enough for me. Took the quote printout to sohel and confirmed all the details with Ashley, gave it to the dealer on Sunday, and booked the delivery date for Wednesday 7th.

Delivery – Visited the showroom on the 7th @ 10.30, with Ashley and nitin. Nitin was armed with the Tbhp PDI list and went about the routine, as it always seemed like he wanted to do that and was too prepared for it. I inspected that gap and it had been reduced, but was still there. Everything else was perfect. I did the pooja (which was new to me), handed over sweets to sohel and asked him to distribute it. Ashley meanwhile had the best job ever, clicking photos. Meet the service manager. Signed few forms, handed sohel a gift and we left.

Breakups:

Ex Showroom price – 565809
RTO - 45607
Extended warranty (includes mud flaps and rubber matting) - 5201
Insurance – 15615
On road price - 632232

Freebies – Teflon coating and Anti Rust (thanks to Chintan for using his office contacts)

Accessories fitted till date

Sun film – V-Kool (front – VK70, sides / Rear – Vkool Select Range) - 22k (have to be refitted – more on that later)
Seat cover – 4.5k

Planned for –

Vacuum cleaner
Reverse parking sensor (after couple of parking accidents)

Completed one long trip to lonavala for ashley’s birthday treat (Sunny da Dabba) and two trips to the vkool shop (each trip - 67kms). The car has clocked 1075 km till date and decided to give the car for the first service today.

Phew! Enough said.
Attached Thumbnails
My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2747.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2748.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2749.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2750.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2751.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2752.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2753.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2755.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2757.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2758.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2760.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2764.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2763.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2765.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-img_2778.jpg  

My first car, Uber Cool - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta (Dark Gray) – "Rachel"-23102009389-large.jpg  

Fighter_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 22:57   #2
BHPian

WOW
It is an amazing car, nice choice of color and i just love the steering wheel, make sure it locked tight, because i might just steal it....
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 23:01   #3
BHPian

The first car, I feel, is always special. Your car looks good in this particular shade of grey. Congrats and wishing you many happy & safe miles of motoring!
Ranjith
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 11:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks really cool ! Post photos of your new seat covers as well.
neoonwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 14:18   #5
BHPian

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
WOW
It is an amazing car, nice choice of color and i just love the steering wheel, make sure it locked tight, because i might just steal it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
The first car, I feel, is always special. Your car looks good in this particular shade of grey. Congrats and wishing you many happy & safe miles of motoring!

Thanks for the wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Looks really cool ! Post photos of your new seat covers as well.
Sure thing, weekend work !
Old 18th November 2009, 15:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. Drive safe.

Would love to hear about the V-KOOL story as i m in dual mind whether to go for it or not .
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 15:24   #7
BHPian

First of all congratulations on your new Ubercool i20 and have a Safe drive in it. The color though not common but looks great on it

Do post the FE figures,New Seat Cover Pictures and your First Service Experience and also it would be nice if you could provide the break-up for the sun-films as u gave a complete quote of 22k and let us know what went wrong on the sun-film installation that it had to be refitted.
Safin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 16:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Congrats on the uber car!

Regarding the parking sensors, I'd recommend you get something like this - Universal Parking Sensor | No Holes | Front & Rear Reverse Parking Sensors

- No Holes Parking Sensor | Parking Dynamics Reverse Sensor

With them you wouldn't need to drill holes in your bumper + it'll protect the sides too!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 16:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up and Nice car too.
No doubt i20 is a very good car and you will enjoy it.

Cheers - drive safe !
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 16:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

dude looks S***. Congrats on your new purchase. Happy motoring
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 18:15   #11
BHPian

Congrats on your new car buy, nice write up with so many detailed photographs.
hiren959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 10:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and nice color.
Yesterday i've test driven the diesel version. It is more planted even after 90+, but was not comfortable with gears, found to be hard for up/down shift.
Ramsagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 13:16   #13
BHPian

Smile

Sorry for delayed reply friends. Was busy with Ashley's new acquisition Skoda Laura (Petrol). I was photographer this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Nice write up and Nice car too.
No doubt i20 is a very good car and you will enjoy it.

Cheers - drive safe !
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Congrats on your new car buy, nice write up with so many detailed photographs.
Thanks a lot Hiren959 & Nairrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Congrats buddy. Drive safe.

Would love to hear about the V-KOOL story as i m in dual mind whether to go for it or not .
Thanks wildon. Will surely post the detail write up about the Vkool part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin View Post
First of all congratulations on your new Ubercool i20 and have a Safe drive in it. The color though not common but looks great on it

Do post the FE figures,New Seat Cover Pictures and your First Service Experience and also it would be nice if you could provide the break-up for the sun-films as u gave a complete quote of 22k and let us know what went wrong on the sun-film installation that it had to be refitted.
Thanks Safin. Yes boss, I'm aware of all the mentioned points, Kindly bear with me for some time. Just too happy for Ashley today.

About FE
Name:  i20_milelage.GIF
Views: 9142
Size:  4.9 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
dude looks S***. Congrats on your new purchase. Happy motoring
Thanks Shishir_bn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Congrats and nice color.
Yesterday i've test driven the diesel version. It is more planted even after 90+, but was not comfortable with gears, found to be hard for up/down shift.

Thanks Ramsagar, I didn't even test drive the i20 before I brought it I haven't test driven the diesel yet, as it was not available with the dealer, so can't comment on that.
Old 19th November 2009, 13:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

I like the I 20 very much - hugely practical, good finish and very nice for the city.
Yours is a lovely choice of colour in my opinion!
enjoy!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 14:11   #15
BHPian

Arrow Vkool Installation

Disclaimer - This isn't a review about the dealer, but a personal experience that I have shared.

The trip -
After spending loads of time researching about the various accessories that will be required, the most important decision was about the sunfilm. Many conflicting posts left me undecided till the last moment. Initially, I had decided to go with 3M, as it had better specifications than Vkool and was cost effective too. 3M’s website said that Hyundai are the authorized dealers for that, but a quick check with my dealer left me hanging. They had stopped 3M sunfilm installations. I didn’t know of any other installers around neither did the gang. (I wasn’t a member of Tbhp then, so couldn’t PM anyone for details)

I decided to go with the next thing available, Vkool, as many people on the forum swear by it. The Vkool dealer was located near Pawan Hans, the only Authorized dealer in mumbai (a good 35 kms away), Sahir was the contact guy there. Asked ashley about driving till there, as there was no way I could have driven the car; he agreed and luckily we didn’t find much traffic that day.

I had initially decided to get only Vkool 70 for the front and the rest later. We reached Vkool @ around 5.30, a brief demo of the products and I had decided to go with Vk70 for the front and Select Range for the sides and rear, the combo was next thing below the premium range. Although, I hadn’t heard about the Select Range, the specs given by the dealer were Infra-red Rejection - 92% and Visible Light Transmission - 50%. I was bit skeptical but decided to go ahead as it was an authorized workshop.

The total cost was about 28k. To our surprise, the dealer brought his price down to 23k, on further bargaining, he settled at 22k. Not bad for Vkool all around the car, I though and left for some snacks as we were hungry as hell.

We returned around 7.30, paid the entire sum in cash. The dealer has applied some sort of gel, only the front screen. When asked, Sahir sort of apologized for forgetting to give the explanation before and told that it is for preventing air bubbles. They had also applied the “I’m Vkool” sticker without my consent, which I discovered later. We were told not to roll down any windows for couple of days and no washing from inside. Since it was dark we didn’t find any thing unobvious and so we left.

While driving back, since Ashley was driving, I discovered that I was able to stare into the headlights of the cars driving by in the opposite direction, directly. Ashley noticed the same thing, it felt good. I didn’t take the car out for 2 days, as I had an habit of driving with the windows down and no ac, as I never used to realize that the effect of the horn and also, every time the engine died down, due to something or the other silly mistake I never used to realize as the car has to be restarted. The engine was that silent for me.

After couple of days:

While driving back from some trip, I noticed that the front passenger side window’s sun film had started peal off and had notice 3-4 big air bubbles on the front screen. On a close look up, I discovered lots of small air bubbles on all windows expect for the rear. Heartbroken, I called up Sahir the next day and he told to get the car back to him for looking up the issue.

Ashley was diagnosed with a slip disc related problems, so had to ask geo to drive me there on a Sunday. Geo had to attend a wedding on that day so wasn't a wasteful trip for him. On reaching the vkool workshop, Sahir immediately agreed to replace the front sunfilm, but for rest he asked me to wait for a couple of weeks and if the bubbles didn’t disappear, they will replace all the films with issues. I was sure that they wouldn’t go away and I confronted him that I can’t drive all the way from home to his place, again and again. Sahir again said to wait for 2 weeks and if the bubbles didn’t go, they will send someone to my place for replacing the films. All I had to provide was a closed area and a plug point. I reluctantly agreed, as the same thing was mentioned on the warranty card. They replaced the front passenger side’s film and removed most of the bubbles from the edges of all other windows.

Latest Update:

Mysteriously, the big bubbles presently on the front glass disappeared, but still lot of small bubbles have come up. It is the same case with the other windows except for the front passenger window that was changed. The rear didn’t have any bubbles to start with. I haven't contacted the dealer so far, a lazy thing on my part, but since Vkool gives a 5-year installation warranty, I’ll surely get it changed, at least that is what I’m hoping for. I only feel that the installation wasn’t proper to begin with, because of the time limit imposed by us, by reaching late in the evening.

Is it Effective?

The front VK70 is really good in preventing heat and blocks out good amount of glares from the driving vehicles, during night driving. One thing to note is that the initial glares reducing effect, has reduced a bit, as compared to time it installed, may be my eyes got used to it. Other Vkool members can comment on this.

Regarding the sides, I wasn’t sure about the Select Range and I had asked the Asia HO to confirm the same. Well, they did respond and I’m yet to provide them the complete details, for getting a confirmation, got caught up in other important things like learning to drive properly.

In all, I’m happy with the quality of the product, but it an expensive but a good investment and I hope to get the bubble issue sorted out soon. An update and photos, will surely follow.