Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th December 2009, 15:17   #151
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
There we go with the dash again.The thing I too love to hate.

As far as the equipment level is considered, I think there is no point comparing hatches with the Grande MkII, Selling a huge vehicle with Airbags and ABS
at a hatch price will be like doing social service.Of course it might sell but
Tata will not make any money on it! The Xylo ABS sells at around 9.3 lakhs onroad in Bangalore. IMO it is the right price, maybe 30k too much but that's about it. An expectation of a Grande MKII at 6.x lakhs with Airbags and ABS is wishful thinking. Save ABS/Airbags , such a level of equipment is not expected
in this segment.
Deal making price for Grande MKii GX variant priced at Rs. 6.99 lakhs ex show room. ABS at extra 15K and Twin front Airbags for 20K as optional extra price could have been crowd puller.

Even Grande Mkii's old front dash design would get digested to some extent with such price and safety feature offering strategy of TATA.

Last edited by harimakesh : 24th December 2009 at 15:23.
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 22:43   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Amit,
Name a premium hatch (i20, Jazz, Punto) which doesnot come with ABS like Tata Sumo Grande with a Rs.6.5 lakhs starting price? How Tata considers this segment buyers will consider Grande with its level of equipment?
None of these superminis seat 8 now do they? Grande does not compete with an i20 or punto. It competes with Xylo. Both have their respective problems. The question is, which one has less of a compromise. I was reading Autocar and they seem to think that Grande MKII beats Xylo in the ride and handling but has braking issues. Maybe someone doing to back to back road tests of both can answer this better,
kapss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 00:02   #153
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure, if TATA makes impressive cars, but surely they re out of the world when it comes to advertising their products.

That Sumo Grande Ad, (THe 3 instances where the situation arises misjudgement of people in our minds) wha..what an impact man

If only the Ad deserved a more worthy product than the "not-so-good" looking Grande MKII
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 19:13   #154
Senior - BHPian

If the interiors and body roll have been sorted out decently enough, its a very sensible option. Notice I use 'sensible' not 'attractive'. The Grande's problem always what could have been, rather than what was, and these fixes might just help it get past those hurdles...
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 14:26   #155
sps
BHPian

I could not find any TBhpians reporting a booking of Sumo Grande, where as more and more initial ownership reports of Xylos are coming up.

Pretty much sums up the response to both cars.
sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 17:34   #156
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
I could not find any TBhpians reporting a booking of Sumo Grande, where as more and more initial ownership reports of Xylos are coming up.

Pretty much sums up the response to both cars.
Mahindra's marketing is very agressive. With Xylo they kept introducing ABS, Airbags and now the new Bolero Strom CRDE Engine D2.

Grande MKii has a very deal breaking Interior which hardly can impress new era car buyers.

Grande's 2.2VTT Engine is good but car should be a best package of both Engine and interiors. Safety such as ABS, Airbags Tata forgot it on Grande MKii.

Anyways December 2009 car sales will reveal the Total "Sumo" numbers. From March 2010 Tata may initiate 60K discount saga on MKii all again
Old 30th December 2009, 15:15   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Yes victa's dashboard is a big let down, no offense to any scorpio owners but i think it looks much better than scorpio's dashboard. And about leaf spring suspension it may not be the best, but it isn't bad either as it does handle well , my observation is based on driving Grande over a period of time and not subjective to Just One Test Drive.
My family had use of a Sumo Grande for about 1400KM of driving and I concur with your views. The ride is not bad, being 6ft4" I found it had adequate leg room. Pleanty of space in the back for luggage and it gave decent KM/Litre considering its size etc.

Braking was not too bad either, also I found a lot of people do not know this is a fancy Sumo as there are so few on the road. Got stopped by traffic cops in Jalandhar who did not know what vehicle it was.

Tata should just ditch the old Sumo and have this in its place.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 19:11   #158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
My family had use of a Sumo Grande for about 1400KM of driving and I concur with your views. The ride is not bad, being 6ft4" I found it had adequate leg room. Pleanty of space in the back for luggage and it gave decent KM/Litre considering its size etc.

Braking was not too bad either, also I found a lot of people do not know this is a fancy Sumo as there are so few on the road. Got stopped by traffic cops in Jalandhar who did not know what vehicle it was.

Tata should just ditch the old Sumo and have this in its place.
Bigman,
What was the FE you got on Grande?
Plenty of Space for luggage? You travelled with last row removed.folded? Otherwise With all 3 rows occupied there is no much luggage space
Old 31st December 2009, 15:17   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Bigman,
What was the FE you got on Grande?
Plenty of Space for luggage? You travelled with last row removed.folded? Otherwise With all 3 rows occupied there is no much luggage space
A good 14 to 15 km/l with AC on all the time.

Third row was still in but not being used for seating so just threw our baggage on that and got some small bags in the very rear.

Also from the airport the 3rd row was removed and more than adequate to take 4 suitcases and 4 carry ons.

The AC in the back is pretty good as well.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 16:10   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats some amazing FE for such a big vehicle. Lets see how the MK2 sells now.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 17:32   #161
BANNED

Quote:

The AC in the back is pretty good as well.
Seems TATA can possibly make more milege out of this kind of practical milege returns of Grande
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:48   #162
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post

I also agree that better interiors, refinement, ride and handling contribute to higher sales than exterior looks. This theory could explain the better sales of Tavera over xylo and grande.

To make Grande a success, TATA has to look back at their not so distant past. When the sales of Indica began to fall and more complaints about the quality arose TATA answered it all with Indica V2.

Is MK II to Grande the equivalent of Indica V2 to Indica?
I believe the tavera came in at the right time when the qualis was discontinued for the innova. The tavera almost seamlessly replaced qualis in the minds of the taxi fleet operators. It therefore enjoys the perception of being a better muv than its competition from mahindra and tata, due to its long innings.

The taxi business is also affected by the end user perception. The end user (common man) somewhere feel that the qualis/tavera are more 'comfortable' or 'upmarket' than the sumo. Hence 'prefer?' a tavera over a sumo and this leads to the taxi operator stocking more taveras over a sumo. I cannot quote this with authority but have heard this same line from a couple of taxi operators.
The common man who hires a cab for a pilgrimage to say shridi @Rs10/km would want to squeeze in max family members per car, hence a flat bench front seat is better than a bucket seat, like wise a car which pitches and rolls less on the ghats is better for his motion sick relatives over a not so good handler.
Sumo has got a image of being
1) A poor handler
2) A scary vehicle
3) Driven fast and rash and hence gets into accidents.
This comes from the average common man as described above. May be all these factors too, along with the other technical details discussed earlier have made tata vehicles like the sumo and the grande not so popular with the masses.

Interestingly mahindra vehicles (armada, grand, bolero) are percieved to be 'jeep' vehicles and therefore too 'rural' . The scorpio sits higher in the Rs/km rate than the group being discussed, so I am not bringing it into the picture.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 14:22   #163
BHPian

Autocar has done a test drive for the Grande MK. I saw the video posted at . The conclusion seems to be that the handling and ride have improved quite a lot. I am also looking for a MUV and am considering the Grande along with the Xylo. Can anyone help me with a comparison between Xylo and Grande MK II? I would be test driving both but I am not sure if a half an hour test drive would allow me draw to any conclusion.
kapss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 18:49   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
Can anyone help me with a comparison between Xylo and Grande MK II? I would be test driving both but I am not sure if a half an hour test drive would allow me draw to any conclusion.
I have attached a small Test Drive comparison sheet (.xls) for MUV vehicles. Mark every vehicle as you drive and decide for yourself.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Grande MK II Assesment (2).xls (14.0 KB, 461 views)

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 2nd January 2010 at 18:50.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 17:44   #165
BHPian

I had taken a test drive of the earlier model of Grande a few moths back and did not like the poor interiors/fit and finish, bad steering, handling & braking. Wife did not like the way the car jumped when going over speed breakers.

I took a test drive of the Grande Mk II last Saturday along with my family.
Found that the handling has improved markedly, the ride was far better, and the interior/fit finish is improved. Wife did not complain about speed breakers
I found the engine response to be better at lower RPMs.

I was tossing between Manza and Mk II. Heart said 'Manza'; the brain said 'MkII because of my frequent long long distance trips and the higher seating capacity. The brain won and I decided to book the Mk II.
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote