Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd January 2010, 12:28   #181
BHPian

I was able to get the pprice list of accessories available for Sumo Grande MKII and is attached here.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Sumo Grande Mk 2.xls (9.5 KB, 969 views)
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 14:20   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi Shishir, I did the booking on 6th Jan. Expected delivery is by 25th of Jan..
Eagerly waiting the initial ownership report and pics.
kapss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 18:23   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
Eagerly waiting the initial ownership report and pics.
Hi The car has arrived at the dealer and I am supposed to get it on 27th after registration. Will have to wait for another 48 hours..
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
I was able to get the pprice list of accessories available for Sumo Grande MKII and is attached here.
Hi Akilesh, thanks a lot for the inputs. I was keen on the body kit, but Concorde Motors Chennai does not have it yet.
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 23:57   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi The car has arrived at the dealer and I am supposed to get it on 27th after registration. Will have to wait for another 48 hours..

Hi Akilesh, thanks a lot for the inputs. I was keen on the body kit, but Concorde Motors Chennai does not have it yet.
Hi Arul, Congratulations on your new MK2. What is OTR in chennai?

I really hope TATA have done a better job this time and be in a position to put more MK2s on the road unlike the previous edition.

Eagerly awaiting for your ownership experience report.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 20:01   #185
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2010 at 12:39.
Santy is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st February 2010, 12:07   #186
BHPian

How is the Sumo experience coming along?? No updates from you yet!
kapss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 15:53   #187
BHPian

Hi Just posted my initial feedback on this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...xperience.html (Grande MK II Initial Ownership Experience)
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 00:37   #188
BHPian

Default why wasn't sumo grande like this?

Guys, I came across this picture in jalopnik - 2011 Nissan patrol.

This seems like Sumo Grande MK-Never (or what could have been).

Here is Jalopnik's article - 2011 Nissan Patrol Moves Away From Irregular Army Demographic, Our Hearts - 2011 Nissan Patrol - Jalopnik

Last edited by gshanky : 18th February 2010 at 00:39.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 15:07   #189

Tata can market Grande mark2, mark3.... But if they do not improve the quality they are not going to sell good numbers. if a model fails because of its poor design, only that model get affected. but if the problems are due to quality issue, whatever face lifts Tata do, they can not sell it in good numbers and a bd reputation will affect other products also.
Here is my Tata Sumo Grande experience. i went to india in sept. 2009 from australia for 20 days holidays. bought tata grande GX on Oct 1st from Hyson motors thrissur kerala.

day 1:
could not open bonnet door. the lock was failed. this happened before taking the vehicle to the RT office for registration. otherwise i had to return again to office to verify the engine number.
the door panels had almost come out, the screws were not in place. took the car back to dealer. one day to solve the issue.

Day 4
drove the car about 250 kms. noticed some water on the floor near the co-driver seat. took the vehicle to dealer. the sales representative whom i dealt told that the problem was with A/C water out let pipe and had fixed.

Day 7
Drove the vehicle to coimbatore. when returned the floor was flooded with water. even it came to second row seat. my four year old son asked appa can we fish in the car itself as i promised him that i would take him for fishing when i go to kerala. took the car back to dealer. told again that the problem was with A/C pipe and took two days to dry the floor and to return the car.

Day 11
noticed hard steering and some oil leak from the front. took the car again to dealer. the steering hydraulic pump had a hair line crack and oil was leaking. evening returned the car.

day 18
now the car is due for first service. as i had asked for floor covering with some rexin and extra horn to fit, it took two days to get it back.

my trip to india was for 20 days. and most of the time i spent my time with Tata dealer.
after some days a lady called from pune asking feedback about the car. i told all the issues and she told that she would get back within four days.until now nobody contacted me from Tata.

now the car is in india and a part time drivver drives it for my mother about 500km in a month. last week she told that when she use garden hose to wash just to get rid of the dust, she coudl see some water leak and water near the driver seat floor mat.mostly the problem with wind shield beedings.

the support that provided by the dealers, hyson motors was excellent. i felt pity on them as they had to sell such a poor quality product. especially workshop manager and customer service manager. they really did well within their limits.

tata can recruit a CEO from abroad. they can take over many foreign companies, i thought that we can be proud about this company. but tata think that this is what we poor indians deserve. they think this is the customer service we deserve.
i own a holden zafira, toyota RAV 4 in australia. i had a maruti vehicle in india. when i had some issues with the maruti vehicle, the support from the maruti company was excellent.
tata has still to learn how to do quality control and how to serve their customer. i waited about five months some one to contact from Tata.nothing happened.buying a tata vehicle is the worst decision i made in my life.
jaykoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 17:57   #190
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jaykoot

Your problem with water in the interiors could be bacause of leaves getting stuck in rain drain of the car, & when your car was washed the water would not have drained out because of the leaves blocking the drain. While driving this water entered your cabin. Believe me this has happened with me more that a couple of times in my Hyundai Santro & it actually spoiled the carpetting of the car badly. Infact in one occassion due to heavy rains the water was actually driping on my fathers feets as feel the rain god wanted to touch his feet. Have you been driving in the rains during your Coimby trip?

The HSS properly diagonised the problem due the fact that I was parking the car under a tree & cleared the debris that had colected in (for free). Now I avoid parking the car under trees & the problem has been resolved to some extent (believe me the dealer's claim that the problem with AC's water let out pipe was as absurd as flying cows... did you pay for that).

Yes... I said to some extent only in my last para, because whenever, I wash the car myself with garden hose some water seeps in. The reason is that the rubber valve that is used in the drain assembly (after 6.5 years, my car was purchased in Oct-2003) has developed cracks & we have not got the same changed.

My suggestion, use minimum water to wash the car, instead wipe clean it & wax the pouter body at regular intervals. It would also help maintain the paint of the car, as gound water contains minerals which can harm the paint of the car.

Regarding bonnet opening not properly, did you do the PDI properly, as I doubt the missing screws would have been noticed at the dealers place itself. Thre are fools in showroom who in the name of fitting the accessories make such omissions & the company earns bad repute because of the same.

Tata Grande MK1 that you purchased had bad road manners & long throws of gears (unsuitable for city driving & private owners), which you have not mentioned in your post.

Further, oil leak of hydraulic streeing is one problem that could have been caused because of rubber pipe that connects the Steering Oil from to the hydraulic steering assembly. This can happen with Tata & Mahindra both (there are separate posts reporting the same) & can be fixed with DIY tools. However, the manufacturers' QC Deptts need to pull up their socks so that they can withstand the onslaught of fierce competition.

By the way have ever owned a diesel before, as you have not mentioned anything about the cars that you have owned in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoot View Post
Tata can market Grande mark2, mark3.... But if they do not improve the quality they are not going to sell good numbers. if a model fails because of its poor design, only that model get affected. but if the problems are due to quality issue, whatever face lifts Tata do, they can not sell it in good numbers and a bd reputation will affect other products also.
Here is my Tata Sumo Grande experience. i went to india in sept. 2009 from australia for 20 days holidays. bought tata grande GX on Oct 1st from Hyson motors thrissur kerala.

day 1:
could not open bonnet door. the lock was failed. this happened before taking the vehicle to the RT office for registration. otherwise i had to return again to office to verify the engine number.
the door panels had almost come out, the screws were not in place. took the car back to dealer. one day to solve the issue.

Day 4
drove the car about 250 kms. noticed some water on the floor near the co-driver seat. took the vehicle to dealer. the sales representative whom i dealt told that the problem was with A/C water out let pipe and had fixed.

Day 7
Drove the vehicle to coimbatore. when returned the floor was flooded with water. even it came to second row seat. my four year old son asked appa can we fish in the car itself as i promised him that i would take him for fishing when i go to kerala. took the car back to dealer. told again that the problem was with A/C pipe and took two days to dry the floor and to return the car.

Day 11
noticed hard steering and some oil leak from the front. took the car again to dealer. the steering hydraulic pump had a hair line crack and oil was leaking. evening returned the car.

day 18
now the car is due for first service. as i had asked for floor covering with some rexin and extra horn to fit, it took two days to get it back.

my trip to india was for 20 days. and most of the time i spent my time with Tata dealer.
after some days a lady called from pune asking feedback about the car. i told all the issues and she told that she would get back within four days.until now nobody contacted me from Tata.

now the car is in india and a part time drivver drives it for my mother about 500km in a month. last week she told that when she use garden hose to wash just to get rid of the dust, she coudl see some water leak and water near the driver seat floor mat.mostly the problem with wind shield beedings.

the support that provided by the dealers, hyson motors was excellent. i felt pity on them as they had to sell such a poor quality product. especially workshop manager and customer service manager. they really did well within their limits.

tata can recruit a CEO from abroad. they can take over many foreign companies, i thought that we can be proud about this company. but tata think that this is what we poor indians deserve. they think this is the customer service we deserve.
i own a holden zafira, toyota RAV 4 in australia. i had a maruti vehicle in india. when i had some issues with the maruti vehicle, the support from the maruti company was excellent.
tata has still to learn how to do quality control and how to serve their customer. i waited about five months some one to contact from Tata.nothing happened.buying a tata vehicle is the worst decision i made in my life.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 18:02   #191
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Where is Arulpeem with his Grande MK2 experience?

Hi all

Wiondering where is fellow BHP-ian Arulpeem, who had bough the Grande MK2. He seems to have disappeared after his initial posts.

I believe I must have got his MUV (1st) serviced by now...
Old 25th February 2010, 23:22   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi all

Wiondering where is fellow BHP-ian Arulpeem, who had bough the Grande MK2. He seems to have disappeared after his initial posts.

I believe I must have got his MUV (1st) serviced by now...
I guess Arulpeem dont have many issues and driving happily, otherwise you would have heard by now.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 06:08   #193

hi Cardeeep,

the water leaking problem was not with leaf sticking or driving in the rain. the A/C outlet pipe of Sumo Grande is located at the codriver seat floor. the dealer told that this happened to many Grandes. i wonder if this had happened before why they did not include in the PDI.

the steering pump showed a hairline crack on inspection. not any issue of loose fitting.
i was not in a hurry to get the vehicle and informed dealer to take enough time they required to complete the pdi to avoid any issues. even though all these things happened.

regarding mark2, i am not sure how much they have changed the suspension,torsion bar and final drive ratio. gearbox and engine seems to be the same. other changes chrome grill, side mirror with indicators etc are just eye wash. as we know they will not improve driving manners.

i could see two other unsatisfied Grande customers when i was with the dealer. they were complaining about oil leaks.
what tata has to do is to concentrate on the quality.
Toyota and Maruti called back some of the models. tata does nto have any product call back. not because of that tata has defect free products, because of the way they do business -sell and forget the customers. people like me will go and buy tata product-atleat once in our life-never again.
Old 26th February 2010, 13:20   #194
Senior - BHPian

Well jaykoot, since the water leak in the car was your personal experience, also confirmed by the dealer that other Grande owners were also facing the same problem, I can only say that this was one of the nails in Grande MK1's coffin. Hopefully (am I being too optimistic!!!) these problems are not there in MK2, otherwise their latest iteration is going to RIP too.
teamveevee, me too hope that arulpeem is having rather wonderful time with his truck. But, he should have posted few of is his driving experiences so far. Let's wait for his next post.
Old 27th February 2010, 09:33   #195

when i complained about all these issues one of the sales representative commented: see sir, we give you a brand new vehicle and these are only initial (teething) problems and evrything will be okay after some periods after solving the problems!!!
what a joke. i am not sure whether he meant that we have to go through a "honeymoon" period to have a trouble free tata vehicle after we purchase one.
i am interested to know how other is this quality issues are only with Grande only or other Tata products are also having these type of issues. if only Grande has these issues why this happened? as a automobile/reliability engineer i am very much interested to learn Grnade as a case study.