Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th February 2010, 20:27   #196
Senior - BHPian

I looked at this promo pic at a dealership and was tempted to click it. But this is definitely what I do not want to see. "To me, it looks like a pig from this angle", commented the sales guy. I fully agree with you.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-dsc02316.jpg  

sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 05:54   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I looked at this promo pic at a dealership and was tempted to click it. But this is definitely what I do not want to see. "To me, it looks like a pig from this angle", commented the sales guy. I fully agree with you.
@Sindica. The rear looks like an elephant, which I think is more graceful than a pig so Tata should stick to rear shots of the Grande.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 08:28   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoot View Post
when i complained about all these issues one of the sales representative commented: see sir, we give you a brand new vehicle and these are only initial (teething) problems and evrything will be okay after some periods after solving the problems!!!
what a joke. i am not sure whether he meant that we have to go through a "honeymoon" period to have a trouble free tata vehicle after we purchase one.
i am interested to know how other is this quality issues are only with Grande only or other Tata products are also having these type of issues. if only Grande has these issues why this happened? as a automobile/reliability engineer i am very much interested to learn Grnade as a case study.
Dear Jaykoot
Nearly a million TATA sumo(MK earlier versions) plying on Indian roads and as such reliability for over a decade is not much of a problem.

The problem here is more of QC nature and TATA MK being a VFM product, it becomes more of economic/cost control rather than an engineering issue.

TATA has to learn to provide good QC with good VFM for long term success. Hope it does so very soon.
cheers
P.S. New TATA vehicle ownership ( for sake of saving some bucks) for use in 20 day holidays is not the very much reccommended by many at this forum only albeit indirectly.
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 16:31   #199

Dear Sanagg1,

i too thought that 450k-500k sumos sold in the past(as read in one sumo grande review)is a proof of their reliability and the troubles reported about grande were exaggerated. now i understand my assumption was wrong.i expected a minimum quality from such a company which try to grow globally with a lot of international takeovers.

i do not think that even someone permanently stays in india will be interested to spend many days in the dealer's workshop after buying a brand new vehicle.please note that the price difference which tata offers when compared with other similar vehicles is something which can be achieved by effficient operation management ,supply chain management and reducing profit margin.i thought that is what tata is doing.if they are compromising on quality to reduce cost they will loose customers in long run and that is what happening now. i agree that any vehicle/product can have issues but the question is how the company is dealing with it. even a phone call or letter from the company may help the customers to have a feeling that company takes some responsibility.
tata charged the cost of two screws of the door pad they fitted saying that it is not included in the warranty, after i went through all these troubles!!! infact they had to offer something to make me happy but they charged for some screws instead!!!.even a footpath seller would provide a better service than this. other than it spoiled my holidays i had some financial losses also as i was forced to change some hotel accommodation bookings and railway ticket bookings.

if some one from tata's customer cell had read articles/customer reviews from team bhp forums in the past, they would have enough info to improve their service.

as i mentioned in my first response, tata can market mark2,3, etc, but until otherwise they are not ready to improve the quality of the product and qualit of the suppliers they are not going to sell their products in good numbers. such a bad reputation will affect other product also in the long run. surely i will not buy/recommend a tata vehicle in the future.
saying though if there was not any quality issues i faced with grande, i would say that Grande is a good vehicle. please not that VFM does not mean low quality.
jaykoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 19:16   #200
Senior - BHPian

height comparison

Sumo Grande MK 2 Turbo LX (sigh of relief after typing that huge name)
VS Audi Q7 3.0 TDI

I was just amazed at how the grande simply dwarfs the Q7, which can be easily mistaken for an A6 avant.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Sumo Grande MKII - exclusively for T-BHP EDIT : Mumbai launch pics on page 5-dsc02697.jpg  

sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:36   #201
BHPian

And i thought that Audi Q7 had huge road presence!
Man that Grande simply dwarfs the Q7!
aman9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 22:25   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
And i thought that Audi Q7 had huge road presence!
Man that Grande simply dwarfs the Q7!
Me too thought that Q7 has huge Road presence. After reading this feels proud to own Sumo Grande
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 23:14   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Me too thought that Q7 has huge Road presence. After reading this feels proud to own Sumo Grande
But after seeing that ugly back i will never own one.Every thing else looks nice on Grande.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 23:30   #204
Senior - BHPian

The Sumo Grande is really grand and huge.Today infact a Sumo Grande in a very nice Azure green colour passed me and it looked like a train going by my side.It was huge.
Tata's are known for their huge presence.
hillram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 09:51   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Why don't you start an ownership threads
Quote:
But after seeing that ugly back i will never own one.Every thing else looks nice on Grande.
As if the Q7 back is any prettier. Lets be honest if it was not an Audi one wouldn't have given a second glance.

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th April 2010 at 09:54.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:41   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Why don't you start an ownership threads
As if the Q7 back is any prettier. Lets be honest if it was not an Audi one wouldn't have given a second glance.

Grande is for My Grandfather who stays in our native place Awsari (Pune -Nashik Highway) which is 156 kms from Navi Mumbai, its chauffeur driven 99% of the time and 1% its me so i guess i wont be appropriate person to Start a thread. Grande is way ahead of Old generation Sumo's because prior to Grande we had 2 sumo's.

1. First one in 1996, it did 225000 kms aprrox then sold in 2000.(lots of
niggling issues)

2. Second one Sumo spacio in 2000, it did 3,75,000 + kms till 2008 without
any engine overhaul with half yearly service interval and Oil change.
(with normal niggling issues)

Once i get a chance to drive the vehicle at least a month or so i can post an ownership review thread because at the moment my job timing is so hectic that i get time to drive my Santro only on sundays.
And people's opinion about Sumo's does not inspire me to write even a small write-up.
Till that all i can say is Grande is serving us well and feels very much stable doing 150 + on Mumbai Pune Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Thank you for your compliments
Looks are subjective on the contrary i like its back, which is much better than front

Last edited by Eddy : 7th April 2010 at 11:40. Reason: Back to back posts.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 13:15   #207
Senior - BHPian

I just came back from a Test Drive of a Sumo Grande MK II GX (about 15 minutes back). Here's my two pence:
1. The level of refinement, interiors, general performance and comfort are acceptable for the price.
2. The Body Roll is present, but it is not something to be overly worried about.
3. Braking is solid, however, when I slammed the Brakes hard at about 80 KMPH (with due permission and consideration to safety) and the rear end of the vehicle actually skidded by about 10-15 Degrees (I got down and checked this).
4. Turning Radius is awesome.
5. I did a quick swerve (chicane like) at about 50-60 Kmph with two wheels on metal and two on stacked Mud, and the entire rear end careened to the left. I did a small steer correction, and it careened completely to the right. I can expect this at 80+ Kmph, but at about 50 KMPH, I would say that the Rear Suspension has some serious issues.

Of course, I noted all this diligently in the feedback form, but would Tata do anything about it?
If not for these two problems, I might have actually bought this car!
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 13:39   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I was just amazed at how the grande simply dwarfs the Q7, which can be easily mistaken for an A6 avant.
I think the angle of the pic is adding to the size difference perception. A side on pic might tell the real story. I am not suggesting that the roles will switch but the "dwarfing" effect might go.
kapss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 10:52   #209
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For those considering the Grande MK II, a complete review has been uploaded here, earlier this week. Thanks to all those who contributed by filling out the review form.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:08   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
5. I did a quick swerve (chicane like) at about 50-60 Kmph with two wheels on metal and two on stacked Mud, and the entire rear end careened to the left. I did a small steer correction, and it careened completely to the right. I can expect this at 80+ Kmph, but at about 50 KMPH, I would say that the Rear Suspension has some serious issues.

If not for these two problems, I might have actually bought this car!
I agree with most of your other points, but quoting this as your reason for not buying one really interested me. Have you tried this stunt (?) on other MUVs too? More precisely, the Xylo and the Scorpio? Here's an ownership experience quoted in one of the other forums from a friend -

"the Xylo drifts as and when it pleases. No effort needed to drift, all efforts will be to keep it from drifting. That car needs ABS pronto. I am in half a mind to trade my Xylo for the new one with ABS. AND YES, I have drifted all over the roads in the Xylo. Wife wasn't around on that trip only the kids and me. "
discoverwild is online now   Reply With Quote