Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th December 2009, 12:52   #106
BANNED

akilesh,

GM's Tavera sells for 2 things to taxi /BPO segment. High milege, least niggles. Tavera's key customers are NOT family/personal car buyers.

Tata Grande's 2.2 VTT is known for many niggles and expensive to maintain hence least inspiring to taxi/BPO segment. Also Milege is not high like Tavera's TCIC.

For TCIC engine Taxi/Tour operator need not opt Grande as Victa is catering them aptly at better price. Even TCIC Grande is less inspiring due to high cost accident spares like bumpers, head lamps, etc comparing to Sumo victa.

The personal / family segment will keep away from Grande Due to the following:
Grande still comes with Sumo tag.
Poor dated dash board
Ancient leaf sprung rear suspension
Non ABS
No DDAS Driver info
Poor luggage storage space
Bad , crippling quality new plastic interiors
Bland bulky styling
Hence the price of Grande GX is very expensive and no VFM

If Grande priced at 6.99 lakhs with ABS then they can expect volumes similar to Xylo.

If you ask Why Grande MKii GX price to be less than Xylo E6 is purely due to Xylo's better Brand new Dash board, better quality interiors, better executed comfort features.

I feel Current grande MKii with its pricing has great potential to act more as a catalyst for increased Xylo sales for its competitor M&M than bringing volumes for TATA themselves. TATA's Grande Traitor

Tata's Compalascence has led to the following:
Not to conduct a survey among customer/market and execute upgradation on Mk II
Did not sought a price the customer is willing to pay for Grande in its MKII avtar hence WRONG pricing of Sumo Grande MKii.

Tata failed to observe from competition Xylo that a new car in this era must be made to the requirements of customers.
Grande mak ii is like "giving the customers what Tata has " and hence is bound to fail to appeal to customers.

Tata Grande MKii is NOT MEETING THE EYE of the customer.

Last edited by harimakesh : 16th December 2009 at 13:05.
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:27   #107
Senior - BHPian

Default Sumo grande Mk II - is it worth the hype

Mods: I searched for this topic, could not find any, please merge if you feel its there elsewhere.

Source: Times of India -> Click for bigger image.

How good is this sumo vs the original grande, is it just a cosmetic change, or is the seating arrangement + few delta gadgetry make it a better vehicle. Perhaps the low price seems a good point. The steering, gear shift and dashboard seem similar to the old one.

Stancewise I feel the sumo looks better than xylo. But whether the 2.2 dicor delivers the same punch as in safari and whether the quality of fitments will make it ideal candidate for longer term? And will this be a driver's car?

These are things to be seen. Any test drives yet?
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:35   #108
Senior - BHPian

I dont know why the Sumo Grande never took off in the 1st place. Was it pricing? under-powered? level of equipment? As far as looks are concerned, I have always found it wayyy better than Xylo (which is plain ugly IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
And will this be a driver's car?
Is any MUV a driver's car? (it's a serious question)
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:38   #109
Senior - BHPian

this is the link to its brochure (and also site)

http://www.grandemkii.com/pdf/GrandeMarkII.pdf

A pity that TATA still thinks providing airbags even as optional accessory is not required. A convenient alibi is that superior headlights, door ajar warnings, seat belt warnings are all coming under safety "aspects"
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:39   #110
BHPian

Looks are perspective in my opinion & rest all is very outdated & old. In a world where everyone is looking for more usage of space & better usage if interiors, who would want a MUV which is a pain to park.

Having said that I still say, "Looks are perspective"
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:49   #111
Senior - BHPian

you mean "subjective"
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:50   #112
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone noticed how they are calling it Grande only. Sumo is written in small fonts. Reminds me of what Maruti did with Zen Estilo.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:53   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Has anyone noticed how they are calling it Grande only. Sumo is written in small fonts. Reminds me of what Maruti did with Zen Estilo.
May be TM wants to get away from the Taxi branding that Sumo has generated over the last decade or so. This Taxi image is also one reason that keeps prospective owners at bay
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:56   #114
Senior - BHPian

are airbags so costly that they dont appear in any sub 8 lakh suv/muvs ?
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

1) The chassis is derived from earlier chassis and worked upon. Not a very good thing. The chassis shows its aged when stacked against competitors.

2) Whether suspension is optimized or not, the car has a certain amount of scary roll by default. Its a good utilitarian car, but not for families that are looking forward to more finished and engineered product than this. Any wonder why Innova is selling more than 4000 units per month ?

3) This is just a makeup job and nothing else. IMHO, its not worth to the hype. Basically the same old car with a few changes that are limited to small things.

I expected a new chassis when Grande Sumo came out. Also I think that the engine is detuned not for the sake of FE, but because this car cannot handle more power. Similar to Scorpio.

We need indicruz. May be with this car Tata is trying to prove that Indicruz is a big nice car.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:18   #116
Senior - BHPian

4000 per month is including all. Sumo Grande + Victa + Safari
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:20   #117
BHPian

The unpardonable levels of body roll IMHO was the main thing that did the Grande in. Hope they get it better in Indicruz.
CoolFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:20   #118
BHPian

Tata modified the body coloured grille to chrome in Suno Grande in the name of face lift.

Hyundai modified the chrome grille in Santro to body coloured in the name of face lift.

I am really confused here.

There should be some common code of conduct for face lifting.

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:24   #119
BANNED

Family / personal car buyers will stay away due to Sumo (even if tata reduces the Sumo font size) effect, poor horrible boxy Interior Dash design, and more importantly NO ABS even as option.

Leaf spring suspension and dated chasis will fuction as further deterence.

For such an out dated design pricing also very high being a TATA.

Grande Mark II is again in No man's territory.
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

To answer the question, probably not. The Sumo, as mentioned above, failed because it tries to be a taxi and a private car and ends up failing both. The Innova is the only car that I can think of that successfully courted both sides.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote