Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th January 2010, 10:25   #76
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenius View Post
Any suggestions whether I should have a check before I embark on the drive or should I wait till I finish the drive and then do the checkup.
No worries, rhenius, you can complete your trip, and then, give your Fiat Linea for the first free check-up. Few hundred km and few weeks plus or minus do not matter. However, before starting your trip, do check the engine oil, coolant and brake fluid levels. Bon Voyage!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 5th January 2010 at 10:27.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 10:32   #77
BANNED

Lovely picture buddy. Thanks a ton. It did bring a smile on my face.

Quote:
I am attaching one picture which I found very symbolic, I had visited the AASI on saturday, and I found an old Fiat 1100D standing, so I managed to take a picture of the new and the old Fiats. This am sure would bring a smile to the readers of this forum.
Linea 1.4 Petrol E-Pack - Emotional(ly) Pack(ed) Experience-020120101119.jpg

Last edited by arun1100 : 5th January 2010 at 10:35.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 11:57   #78
BHPian

Dear Arun1100, I totally agree with you. That was my Dad's first car, and incidentally the car which brought me home when i was born. We had it from 1968 to 1989. There are a few of us Fiat lovers who bought the Linea based on the emotional connect with the 1100. I am one of them. The lines, the curves, the beadings are the common factors you can trace back.
rhenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:30   #79
BHPian

Default 3000 km Update, a long trip and some pics - The Linea tales and trails

The 3000km update and the trip details – Linea tales and trails...

The odometer read 2180km when I took my Italiano belle to VST Motors on Saturday 9th January 2010. Met with the Service Advisor Mr.Lyel and told him that as I was planning a long drive, I wanted a general checkup and also to address some issues namely, (i) the left front window glass getting off the rail as it is being lifted, it was coming out of the beading (ii) Complete general checkup of all the oils and fluid levels and basic road worthiness for long distance (iii) Seat height adjustor problem (iv) Windhield wiper blade shudder as it is wiping the bottom half of the glass for the main wiper arm.
He wanted to know if I had any other work and I could come back, I said I would stay with the car. So was there while the car was being attended to. Now readers you will have to give me your version of the wiper blade shudder. It happens when the blade sweeps down and there is a visible jarring movement in the rubber. Another service mechanic showed me that it was the same whether it was in a Linea or a Punto. He showed me 5 other vehicles which had the same shuddering and said that it was not the fault of the rubber blade. The only other negative factor was that the seat height adjustor rail has to be changed, and currently they were out of stock in the same. I was assured that when I came back after my trip, and take the car for the 3000km check-up, it would be replaced. So having done the necessary checks and the window assembly set right. I also got the assurance that the 3000km check-up would be done even if I had crossed the 4000km mark which I was likely to do on my trip.

10th morning, with the odo reading 2236, I zeoed my B trip meter. I left Chennai via the Grand Southern Trunk Road at 5.00am. This trip was being done solo right through till my return to Chennai on 14th night.
The top speed of the entire trip was achieved during two stretches, the first being from Chinglepet to Trichy and the second being on the stage between Salem and Bengaluru. The speed reached as shown on the speedo was an amazing 180kmph. I had to pinch myself to believe it. And the first leg saw me do stretches at 150kmph for quiet a distance and plenty of them too. The best highlight of the onward journey was the look on the face of a ANHC driver who was topping around 160 on the Chinglepet-Trichy leg, and I spotted him from quiet a distance and I decided to overtake him, and was able to do so calmly that he didn’t realize that he had been overtaken and that too by the Fiat, after which he tried desperately to catch up and overtake, but thanks to the good speed I had been maintaining, I was able to get a move on and go far ahead, and within a few kilometres he too gave up the chase. A point to mention was that since I was on this journey alone, I had a few groundrules which I stuck to. (i) Stop every 100km and give the car a 10minute break, and also to get out and do some stretches for self. (ii) If I felt sleepy at any point of time, I was to pull over to the side and take a powernap (iii) Keep enough stock of drinking water in the car at arms length to be able to drink water whenever required and not have to stop at shop and worry about the quality of potable water. I reached Trichy at around 9.15am which was quiet good time considering, by the time I got out of Tambaram, it was nearly 5.55am. Just prior to Trichy, I stopped at a brand new BP pump which was basically for topping up my fuel level as I wanted to fill the max before I reached Kodaikanal. The tank took 22.53 litres to the brim with the trip meter showing 332km. At Trichy junction, I was made to go into the city as the bridge works was going on and I had to take a detour. There were a couple of road signs which made me go into town, but the saving grace during this was that my VX140 Mapmyindia navigation unit was working great and giving me the correct directions before I saw the required signboard. I lost a considerable amount of time as I had taken my break just prior to Trichy at the Petrol station. And this was quiet slow going inside the city. I was then directed onto another road, which I fervently hoped was the Trichy-Dindigul highway, though it looked far from being a highway. It looked more like a one track road and lots of people. My GPS unit though didn’t fail me. The only funny thing which happened with my Mapmyindia unit was during this stretch from Trichy to Dindigul, where Roadworks accounts for the bye-pass being built, and in the GPS unit, you will be shown as if you are driving where there is no roads and you are going on open lands. Then you will be shown as moving towards the main (old) highway which is marked clearly on the map. Coming back to the road, it was one of the worst stretches, and by the time I reached Dindigul, it was nearly 12.00pm and I decided to head towards Batlagundu where the famous Dindigul Thalapakati biryani is located to have my lunch, I did that particular stretch in superfast time, and It was only 1.45 when I reached there. I decided to head up the hills to Kodai and go enjoy some nice momos at the Tibetan restaraunt in Kodaikanal.
The uphill section of the ghats was interesting, as I had assumed that I would need to keep shifting between the second and third gears quiet a bit, but was surprised to find that the car was able to hold her own even in fourth gear for a major portion of the ghats. And it was only in some of the steep stretches that I had to downshift to 3rd or 2nd gears. I made another fuel stop at Shenbaganur where I filled up the tank. It took me 24.92 litres to the brim for another 250km. This was including the uphill climb and the wasted stretches inside Trichy with city traffic and the horrible roads from Trichy to Dindigul. I reached the Seven roads junction at exactly 2.55pm and I rushed to give my order before 3.00pm.
The next two days saw me drive the Linea in Kodai between my house and the town centre quite a bit. A bit of planning into which route I needed to take to go to Bengaluru was happening with me and the internet, Should I go via Palani or do I go down to Dindigul and then to Karur, I decided on the latter, as it gave me also a chance to go via Karur and enable me to take a detour to Erode to see a couple of friends.
On 14th morning, I left from Kodaikanal at 4.45 from my house and the temperature reading at 8degrees centigrade, and from Kodai lake at 5.00am. The odometer showed 2827, and I knew that before long I would be crossing the 3000km mark on the car. It was pretty cold and I needed a coffee break which I had at the Palani turnoff. I was tempted to take the turnoff there and head towards Palani and the route to Bengaluru from there, but I stuck to my prescribed route, and the VX140 very clearly showed only the Dindigul-Karur-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bengaluru route. So then I headed down the ghats, and I reached the foothills by 6.10am. I stopped for one more coffee at Batlagundu and then as I was leaving Batlagundu, I felt very sleepy. So I pulled over to the side, put some soft music and took a powernap for 25 minutes and I woke up as fresh as could be from one major session of rest. Which is exactly how I felt after this. I was spruced up and ready to drive, I took the Dindigul route, and the road to Karur from Dindigul was something out of the ordinary. Such a fantastic road, I had not expected and it was sheer pleasure to be able to drive on such fabulous roads, It almost felt like being back in the Sultanate of Oman, and was comparable to the long drives out there. The roads were almost as fantastic and also the speeds which we could manage was very similar to there and here. I reached Karur just a few kilometres after crossing the 3000km mark on my car, I took the customary picture of the same. And headed towards the Karur junction, from where I took the deviation to Erode. The road to Erode is a single lane state highway and has some of the best and most beautiful sceneries in the South of India. Plush green fields, rustic atmosphere, and people going about their own business without minding the hustle and bustle of modern times. I reached Erode at 9.30 and met up for breakfast with a friend from Erode. Having finished by 10.30, I filled the fuel tank up at the BP pump and I was warned that the main road to Salem would be not that good and asked me to be careful, and there was a suggestion that I take the Mettur road to Salem via the dam. I actually wanted to get to Bengaluru as I wasn’t too sure about the conditions of the road, and if it would involve loss of time like at Trichy earlier, so I avoided that route and stuck to what was known to me and what was showing on the GPS unit as well. Reached Salem byepass in good time around 11.15. Then the next stretch was Salem to Krishnagiri. Then went via the Thoppur ghats to the point where the Chennai – Bengaluru highways comes and joins this road at Krishnagiri. Then the final assault on the ghats to Hosur. And it was a pleasant surprise that I made my way into Bengaluru without any hassle or traffic or waste in time. And I reached my friends office near Wilson Garden on Hosur Road by 2.15pm. It was actually good time from Erode to Bengaluru with good speeds and good control. The Fuel Efficiency was around 14.5kmpl during that entire stretch and the speeds was a good 150-160kmph steady. It was during this stretch that I hit 180kmph and topped out there.
Having spent the best part of the next day, I left at 4.00pm after a good sumptuous lunch at Koshy’s restaurant from St.Marks Road, Took a U turn at the stadium end of MG Road, took a right turn into Brigade Road, and back onto Hosur Road. There was medium traffic getting out of the city and once past Hosur, it was me and me only. Filled up the tank at a Club HP outlet after Hosur at around 5.15pm, Bought some Nimbooz for me and two large bottles of water to drink during the return journey. And continued my drive, at around 5.35pm, started feeling drowsy, so pulled over to the side of the road, and took a power nap till 6.00 pm. After which it was a straight stretch back to Chennai with two mandatory pitstops which I made after I completed 100km from my power nap spot and the second at 200km from the same spot. I got around Sriperumbudur at around 8.10 pm and was looking at getting home by 9.00pm. But at the Porur turnoff, I got sidetracked into a side road, which made me go into Kundrathur and from there to Pammal and Pallavaram because of a deviation on the main Road, I had to go through this unfamiliar route and finally touched the GST Road at Pallavaram. It was really funny to enter Chennai through the GST Road, having come in from Bengaluru. It was also ironic that as my journey started on Sunday morning through GST Road, my return too had to be on the same. I came back to the HP pump where I had filled up the car on the night prior to my onward journey and filled the tank to the brim with 22.72 litres. Which was what was consumed from a little out of Hosur to Chennai with my detour via Pammal and Pallavaram to Chennai. So at the end of 1585km, a total of about 102 litres of fuel and a very satisfied me, I reached my home in Nungambakkam and switched off the engine and thanked God for an entirely safe, satisfying and pleasurable trip in my now tried and trusted Fiat Linea.
Attached Thumbnails
Linea 1.4 Petrol E-Pack - Emotional(ly) Pack(ed) Experience-100120101136.jpg  

Linea 1.4 Petrol E-Pack - Emotional(ly) Pack(ed) Experience-100120101137.jpg  

Linea 1.4 Petrol E-Pack - Emotional(ly) Pack(ed) Experience-100120101138.jpg  

Linea 1.4 Petrol E-Pack - Emotional(ly) Pack(ed) Experience-110120101140.jpg  

Linea 1.4 Petrol E-Pack - Emotional(ly) Pack(ed) Experience-110120101152.jpg  

Linea 1.4 Petrol E-Pack - Emotional(ly) Pack(ed) Experience-120120101156.jpg  

Linea 1.4 Petrol E-Pack - Emotional(ly) Pack(ed) Experience-130120101161.jpg  

Last edited by rhenius : 23rd January 2010 at 01:34.
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But at the Porur turnoff, I got sidetracked into a side road, which made me go into Kundrathur and from there to Pammal and Pallavaram because of a deviation on the main Road, I had to go through this unfamiliar route and finally touched the GST Road at Pallavaram. It was really funny to enter Chennai through the GST Road, having come in from Bengaluru. It was also ironic that as my journey started on Sunday morning through GST Road, my return too had to be on the same
I normally take that route when i come from bangaluru highway. because of 4 reasons.

1. it save me a toll of 35 rs at sriperumbuthur

2. it saves me the inch inch nagging traffic at poonamalle and at porur junction

3. saves me fuel as the kundrathur pammal road is always empty untill you reach anagaputhur

4. my house is at pallavaram

why didnt you come to my house when you came all the way to pallavaram????
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 20:41   #81
BHPian

Madhu, great machan.
All alone to Kodai and back. I cant imagine me doing it all alone.

Is it a scratch on the front bumper (left side adjacent to the numver plate) or is it dirt ? Refer pic 2 from top.
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 22:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

Great Round Trip.
I too prefer to drive alone.Almost i did trip to my native alone before my marriage.
How was the power in Hills section especially Hill climb?
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:39   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Madhu, great machan.
All alone to Kodai and back. I cant imagine me doing it all alone.

Is it a scratch on the front bumper (left side adjacent to the numver plate) or is it dirt ? Refer pic 2 from top.
Thankfully it wasnt a scratch. I too thought it might be that when i first looked at it when i made the pitstop. It was dirt, rather the remains of a dragonfly, which had got hit while i was doing the good speeds or during the kachha road from Trichy to Dindigul. This photo was taken before the hill climb.
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

nice write up dude.

another story of an ANHC getting surprised by Linea
how were Linea headlights during night driving.
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:42   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Great Round Trip.
I too prefer to drive alone.Almost i did trip to my native alone before my marriage.
How was the power in Hills section especially Hill climb?
I loved the drive alone. its at my pace. Secondly, the hill climb was enjoyable, a few flat stretches saw the 5th gear. It was a majority of 4th and 3rd gears which the car enjoyed eating up the kilometres. I was surprised at how fast I was able to go to the top. I had estimated more time than what I actually took. A couple of inclines saw me shift down to second though. But it was enjoyable.
While coming down, I could have gone in 5th most of the distance, but kept to the lower gears as I didnt want to lose control of the car.
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:43   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
nice write up dude.

another story of an ANHC getting surprised by Linea
how were Linea headlights during night driving.
I wont say they were great. They were adequate, and the only thing which I probably wasnt too happy was the length of the throw of the highbeam. I felt it was too close, inspite of my positioning it on the longest throw.
Old 24th January 2010, 16:54   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenius View Post
I wont say they were great. They were adequate, and the only thing which I probably wasnt too happy was the length of the throw of the highbeam. I felt it was too close, inspite of my positioning it on the longest throw.

In my view Linea has probably got the best headlamps around. They just turn night into day. I always use dipper when there's incoming traffic not just because of courtesy reasons but for the reason that I pity those who would have to face Linea's H7's.
firstguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 19:15   #88
Senior - BHPian

Linea H7 are actually decent but H1 is not quite upto the mark. i generally use the fogs with nearbeam to give me more visibility. i am waiting till february for the launch of philips xtreme power in india to get my hold on h1 and h7
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 23:11   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
In my view Linea has probably got the best headlamps around. They just turn night into day. I always use dipper when there's incoming traffic not just because of courtesy reasons but for the reason that I pity those who would have to face Linea's H7's.
I don't have any problems with the low beam. Its only the throw of the high beam which I find not satisfactory on the highways at night.
Old 24th January 2010, 23:20   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I normally take that route when i come from bangaluru highway. because of 4 reasons.

1. it save me a toll of 35 rs at sriperumbuthur

I didn't know that bit... Now I had spent more than Rs.500 all through the journey on GST Road, Kodai-Bengaluru and Bengaluru- Chennai.

2. it saves me the inch inch nagging traffic at poonamalle and at porur junction

There was inch by inch traffic on that road too at 8.15pm in the night with buses crowding the road

3. saves me fuel as the kundrathur pammal road is always empty untill you reach anagaputhur
Not empty at all....(:

4. my house is at pallavaram

why didnt you come to my house when you came all the way to pallavaram????
My apologies. I will come the next time, This time I was in a hurry to reach my parent's house in Mylapore before it was too late in the night as I had to give them somestuff.