Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th August 2010, 09:34   #421
Senior - BHPian

may be his ICE set up in packed condition?
lets wait for his detailed post witih more photographs!!
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 10:03   #422
BHPian

That is a Focal solid 4 amplifier Guys...It is a 4 channel amplifier.
Pr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 16:32   #423
Senior - BHPian

Gilead, busy with the install yet!?

Waiting to see the installation pics & also your feedback on the GTO 948 powered by the Focal amp!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 00:27   #424
Senior - BHPian

Default Musical Nirvana

Musical nirvana finally attained! A detailed report will come up later. For now, these are the components that are in my car at the moment.

Kenwood KDC-X7013U Head Unit
JL Audio XR 650 CSi Component Speakers
Focal Solid 4 Amplifier
Infinity Reference 1260W Sub Woofer
JBL GTO 948 Coaxial Speakers

I never had plans of replacing the OE HU when the installation started this morning. The decision to get the Kenwood was made around 4 pm after hearing the stock HU. It sounded good, but something was missing. Post Kenwood and tuning, it was pure bliss and deadly SQL to say the least. The JL components are a work of art.

Pr_007 was there around 10 pm when we wrapped up. I am sure he will have something to say about the sound when he logs in.

Installation and tuning was done at POWER ZONE, probably one of the best ICE people in town.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 06:33   #425
BHPian

I can see that the HU/Sub was an impromptu decision? What gives?

How much is the damage? Isn't the Kenwood HU a single-DIN? What happens to the gap?
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 09:54   #426
BHPian

Hi,, Yesterday my day ended well after seeing Gilead's ICE setup in his car.

The day he started asking his ICE questions.

" I am just looking for a small components in a budget of 6 K and a woofer in the 6k budget with a good 4-channel amp. I am not changing my head-unit."

Suggestions were given, decisions were made and then He chose the following components for his car

1. JL XR 650 CSi for the front, it is a 6.5 inches

2. Focal solid 4

3. Auditor woofer.(later changed to Infinity)

I got him Introduced to a guy called Saravanan, he owns a shop called Power Zone in royapettah. Decent guy and most important knows well what he is going to do and what will be the outcome.

He is never dominative and only suggests and does not force.

I got a message from Gilead at 9 yesterday morning that the installation has started. Went to the shop at 4.30 everything was pretty much over by that time and they were auditioning the setup.

But what we found out was the mids and highs were clear and punchy as hell the JL's were proving their mettle.

But there was no lows sent to the sub, the sub was just moving but no bass, if the gain was increased too much the sub started playing but the amp cuts off.

We found that the HU was the culprit as the factory HU was not capable of driving the sub.

Split second decisions were made and then the Kenny 7013 was bought down. Me and Gilead took leave and said we shall drop in at 9 to take the care when all work is done.

We went there at 9.13, started playing the songs, OMG, the difference in the new kenny was night and day. The bass from the Infinity subs were outstanding.

The JL's were performing even better, the mid basses were breaking the front doors, and all these with absolutely no Damping.

I really loved them. I was amazed by the JL performance. Very clear at any volume and very crisp. The sub blended very well with the front stage and was sounding really clean.

I leave the rest to be written by the owner and share pictures.

Last edited by Pr_007 : 10th August 2010 at 09:56.
Pr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 13:09   #427
Senior - BHPian

Default Some pics of the install

POWER ZONE- Royapettah- Highly Recommended.

Here are some install pics. Detailed report will come up later today when I get some time. I am driving around grinning like a fool.
Attached Thumbnails
My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-001-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-002-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-004-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-005-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-006-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-008-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-011-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-015-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-016-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-020-50.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 13:13   #428
Senior - BHPian

Default Sub & Amp

The JLs went into the stock location, so cant' see them.

The system has been beautifully tuned by Saravana. I feel like I am sitting in the middle of the music. The sub is appearing to be punching from the dash. Too good.

PR: Thanks for all the help yesterday dude. I owe you one.
Attached Thumbnails
My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-007-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-022-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-ice-023-50.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 13:21   #429
Senior - BHPian

Looks solid.
What did you do with OE HU - you sold it to the shop at a discounted price or exchaged it for the new purchase?
Old 10th August 2010, 14:10   #430
Senior - BHPian

Very neat setup Gilead! Let me audition the setup over the weekend!

I am getting my equipments in a few weeks and I think you have found a good installer for me as well. I was planning about getting the setup done from Jeewajee

Any plans for damping!?
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 14:21   #431
Senior - BHPian

Looks great Arun, i am sure it ll sound even better. Waiting for the Audition. and yes, damping would increase the SQ by leaps and bounds

BTW, where is this power zone ? If its really good, i might have to check in here, provided in any of our Bhpains are accompanying me for my install
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:25   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
We went there at 9.13, started playing the songs, OMG, the difference in the new kenny was night and day. The bass from the Infinity subs were outstanding.
That was quite a moment or what! I was cursing myself for even thinking that I would make do with the Oe HU. I am now trying to advice abhipuru to get rid of his OE but apparently he is going to stick with it. Poor guy won't know what he's missing.

I hated Endhiran's songs until I heard them on my new set up. All the songs sounded wow. And then we started playing some hip hop. Oh boy! Flo Rida's Get Low started hitting us hard and low and that was it. Nirvana attained. The TA was done in such a way that the front seats appear to be right in the middle of the music. Just the way I had wanted it. I just explained what I was expecting and the guy delivered. No one's going to mess with those settings now. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Looks solid.
What did you do with OE HU - you sold it to the shop at a discounted price or exchaged it for the new purchase?
No. I have retained all the OE components. They will go back into the car when its time to replace the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Very neat setup Gilead! Let me audition the setup over the weekend!

I am getting my equipments in a few weeks and I think you have found a good installer for me as well. I was planning about getting the setup done from Jeewajee
Any plans for damping!?
Jeewajee can do only basic install. Don't even think of going to them if you are installing amp, components and sub. Power Zone is the place to go to. Even GP road dealers get their personal cars ICE-d at Power Zone even though they employ an army of installers at their own shops. I personally know of even two messed up Tecknocrat installs that were 'fixed' by Power Zone. I remember reading somewhere that even a TBHP-ian did that. Power Zone mentioned it was a TBHP-ians Linea or a Punto.

There is not a sq ft of damping anywhere in my car. No sign of rattles from the door or mirror or panels, or distortion from anywhere else even at highest output levels. The Fiesta is solidly built. And a lot of credit goes to the clean sounding JL and an equally clean Focal and Kenwood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Looks great Arun, i am sure it ll sound even better. Waiting for the Audition. and yes, damping would increase the SQ by leaps and bounds

BTW, where is this power zone ? If its really good, i might have to check in here, provided in any of our Bhpains are accompanying me for my install
Dude, my name's not Arun. lol Damping would probably increase SQ in a Maruti because of the tinny build quality. I feel no need for it in mine.

Power Zone is in Royapetah. Visit the guy and take a look at some the install pics in his laptop. You will be blown away. Even the Kicker demo cars were done there. I am sure one of us will be jobless enough to accompany you there. Talk to the guy and decide if you want to install there.

I forgot to mention wiring. Cadence 4 gauge wiring and two pairs of Kicker RCAs were used. I saw Scosche, Monster and one other brand. The quality of the Cadence was a class apart.

I have two metal finish Kicker stickers which look really good. I am not sticking them on my car, so if anyone needs it, PM me.

I am not going to mention pricing on the forum so kindly PM me if anyone wants the details. All I can say is that like most upgrades on TBHP, it went far beyond the original budget.

Last edited by Gilead : 10th August 2010 at 15:43.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:44   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Dude, my name's not Arun. lol Damping would probably increase SQ in a Maruti because of the tinny build quality. I feel no need for it in mine.

Power Zone is in Royapetah. Visit the guy and take a look at some the install pics in his laptop. You will be blown away.
Sorry Vijay,
I dont think its about rattles only. I understand that, Ford cars have quite nice build quality. But still Damping allows you to hear more sound that your ear can percieve without damping. If you see, most competition cars (both here and Abroad) spend so much on damping.

I will surely visit him. Can you PM his mobile number, please. Thanks in advance
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:53   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Sorry Vijay,
I dont think its about rattles only. I understand that, Ford cars have quite nice build quality. But still Damping allows you to hear more sound that your ear can percieve without damping. If you see, most competition cars (both here and Abroad) spend so much on damping.

I will surely visit him. Can you PM his mobile number, please. Thanks in advance
I guess I can't miss what I am not hearing, so its okay for now. I can't pretend I am an audiophile. I had a certain level of expectation and it was exceeded by leaps and bounds, so that's all that matters. Competition cars will be putting out thousands of RMS so they will definitely need damping.

And talking about competition cars, take a demo of Saravana's personal Estilo. You will come out with your hair all over the place. The SPL can be heard at Ameer Mahal half a km away apparently. It's running a pair of subs that are being fed 1500 or 2000 RMS. lol

I will PM you the number.

Last edited by Gilead : 10th August 2010 at 16:04.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:29   #435
Senior - BHPian

Thats good idea - you will sell the car (when you are ready for new car) with OE equipments and can use this new set up for your next car also!!