Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th August 2010, 15:30   #451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
Yes correct, the OE HU will fetch only around 2.5/3k maximum even in my place. (May be the price is low because the HU can only be fixed in a car where there is space for 2din, and nowadays most of the high end cars comes with OE music system).
Ok, thread is active.lemme post quickly to get some eyeballs.
i have a boxed pioneer avh3200dvd unit with me.
now this needs some trim around it so that it fits flush in place of the OE unit.
is there somesort of fitting kit that can be used?
has anybody here installed a a multimedia double din system in their fiesta?
if so, any pictures, and sources for the kit?

what i mean is,in the attached picture:
prple bit is the actual dash area around the head unit,red is the area the new unit will take.
if i remove the OE hu, i will need a fascia plate to cover the dash region and have a slot to put i nthe new unit.

any clarity?
i know i have confused myself......

ps:not to scale
Attached Images

mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 13:39   #452
Senior - BHPian

mayank, this must be a 6 inch display I guess? It should have come with a face plate that conforms to double DIN standards. Use that and it will be a perfect fit. Or get the face plate from Ford and then install the HU. Find a good installer who has done this before. Else you will end up with rattles. You will get better inputs in the ICE section for this.

Check sathee46's 1.6S ICE thread. He had installed a JVC touchscreen (?) like this before upgrading to a 1 DIN Alpine. Take a look at this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...4102008885.jpg

Last edited by Gilead : 25th August 2010 at 13:42.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 13:44   #453
Senior - BHPian

There is a trim kit available from the Ford dealers to fix standard 2Din size HUs.

You should be able to source one at the cost between 200 - 300 INR. The cost for a 1-Din trim kit is 200/- INR.
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 13:57   #454
Senior - BHPian

@gilead:
Thank you kind sir!!!
that was exactly what i wanted to see.
I'll try and get the ford faceplate itself.
The unit shipped without the that, only the cage, and other wiring,harnesses etc.

@anachronix:
Thanks for the prices!!!
have you used these?

Cheerios!
Old 25th August 2010, 14:15   #455
Senior - BHPian

^^ I recently purchased a 1-Din trim kit from a Ford dealer.
Old 25th August 2010, 14:52   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
^^ I recently purchased a 1-Din trim kit from a Ford dealer.
let me get the procedure somewhat:
remove the OE unit, match the aftermarket unit to the aftermarket faceplate, and good to go??
does it still look (almost) as integrated as the OE unit?
i mean, no gaping holes etc?

I'm treading cautiously here cos i would REALLY like it to not turn out to be a mess and spoil the aesthetics......
Old 25th August 2010, 15:44   #457
Senior - BHPian

Of course it will fit without any holes. DIN is a standard and I am sure JVC is in compliance. It should look exactly like the pic I posted after installation. Is your JVC a 2 DIN and not something weird like 1.5 DIN?

The Fiesta HU is notoriously difficult to remove and needs a special 'key' which only a good installer will have. If your installer is the type who will try to pry it loose with a screwdriver, it will break a spring inside and render it useless for subsequent installations. Not to mention all the scratches a screwdriver will make. Get a good dealer who has worked on a Fiesta before.

Last edited by Gilead : 25th August 2010 at 15:46.
Old 25th August 2010, 15:51   #458
Senior - BHPian

JVC?no no,its pioneer(avh3200dvd)propah 2din.and yes, i will only be going to someone who has worked on fiesta's.i'll be happy if it fits like in the picture you put up.
Old 25th August 2010, 16:02   #459
Senior - BHPian

^^ things will be much easy if you take it to your Ford dealer and ask him to remove the OE HU from your car. They have the correct keys for the OE HU.

Then, you can visit the audio installer for installing the new HU.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:04   #460
BHPian

@Gilead - Hey its been longtime since I checked in to TBHP, you have made this thread lively!
To others, I and Gilead took delivery almost at the same time and same model :-)

ICE looks cool! keep it up
TheHummerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 20:53   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHummerGuy View Post
@Gilead - Hey its been longtime since I checked in to TBHP, you have made this thread lively!
To others, I and Gilead took delivery almost at the same time and same model :-)

Goood to know that. What is the color of your S??

Feels nice to be in a niche club!!!
capt_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 21:45   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Do not lug the engine under any circumstances. Even though the Fiesta can easily pull in a higher gear at lower RPMs, it's better to downshift and keep the tacho above 2300 at least.
+1 to your views! I got a feeler long back in Orkut (before I joned T-Bhp) that one gets best FE when the tacho is around 2700. Downshifting makes sense though the car pulls fine at 30 kmph in 4th gear.

I too change gears around 3 K RPMs, but sometimes take it to 4 or 5 K just to hear that addictive snarl.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 23:10   #463
Senior - BHPian

ok guys...one more thing.
I have only the stereo, not the frame(which holds the stereo inside the dash), or anything else for that matter.
now anachronix has told me that the 1 din kit (just the fascia, i presume) is around 200.
i'll keep that as 500 for the double din(safer side).
dont know how much the frame is, or any other components required.

i spoke to a stereo guy, and asked him how much the total cost would be, i'd just give him the stereo and screws.
labour:3-400 bucks
fascia+frame+everything:3500 bucks
is this okay?

not nitpicking,just want to clarify.
have been experimenting a lot on my cars, and expense wise i am inclined to think its a worse addiction than anything from Afghanistan......

cheerios!!
Old 27th August 2010, 11:15   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHummerGuy View Post

HummerGuy, good to see you buddy. Long time since we spoke. I hope you are having fun in your S. Is it setting OMR on fire?

To the others, HummerGuy's car and mine were standing in the yard together and we made our choices the same day. He actually wanted my car, but I had already selected the VIN over the phone a few hours ago. Our cars are separated by just the last VIN digit, but identical in every other respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_rocker View Post
Goood to know that. What is the color of your S??

Feels nice to be in a niche club!!!
It's an Aquarius like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I too change gears around 3 K RPMs, but sometimes take it to 4 or 5 K just to hear that addictive snarl.
Me too! The snarl at those RPMs is just too good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
fascia+frame+everything:3500 bucks
is this okay?
3500 seems to be on the higher side just to fix the HU. You should be able to get the whole thing done for 1000 bucks. Or are you fixing speakers as well?
Old 27th August 2010, 11:26   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post

3500 seems to be on the higher side just to fix the HU. You should be able to get the whole thing done for 1000 bucks. Or are you fixing speakers as well?
ahh!!!
no, just the HU..
so let the haggling begin...

By the by,i'm a vanilla SXi guy, but i guess engine wise the S and SXI are the same.
on the expressway,where nowadays the speeds hover around 30-40 on a lucky day, i ride between 2200-2600(or whereabouts) in 3rd,and when you pull out in a gap, and it goes upto to 4-4.5 k, WOW!!
Just rockets past cars which are still making up their mind whether raising the rpms is worth the effort..
i am a big fan of the NVH levels in the cabin, but with the weather here, and the filter, i just love having the window down and listen to whine, and most of all the surprised look on people's faces!!!