Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th May 2010, 00:15   #211
BHPian

Got my beast today afternoon she is as good as new. Cost me Rs 5226 to get her fixed. will post pictures later. The quality of work done is great, its as if nothing had ever happened to my baby.
rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:38   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Hey UB!!

Congrats on your decision to own a xylo.. You sure would love the vehicle and it would serve for miles together.
SO you will be the fourth owner of white E8 ABS!!

For the woofers/amplifiers rocky would tell you the best, as he threw his original system and installed pioneer.

But do not get the ski racks installed as even i wanted them and they retrofit by either with the double side tape ,which would probably get off soon or they would screw it in your vehicles body which results into rainwater seeping in.
So dont get that installed, even if they assure that nothing would happen.

Rest is the BEST,
Do take delivery time pics and start an extensive thread!

ALL THE BEST!

Regrads,
Sahil
Thanks Sahil. 4th E8-ABS!! I've defintely got company. No Ski Racks for the beast. I shall defintiely upload the pics once i get the delivery.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:48   #213
BHPian

Thanks, Beejay, the link has helped me sort out most of my confusions.

Hey Rocky - Shall defintiely be writing the review (to be read as uncontrollabel emotions!) on the delivery. Rear spoiler is definitely part of my must accessories. In case you have note heard this before, the Mahindras do offer customisation of Xylo. Believe me they defintiely do some serious alterations, seen some of their finished products. They do restyling of the front bumper, side scoops, body claddings, modified rear bumper with twin pipe exhausts etc..!

Plan to rehaul my beast, but holding on for some time. Taking one step at a time!
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 20:12   #214
BHPian

Default Feedback from any women drivers on Xylo

Hi Rocky,

Have been looking at an Innova V for my wife, but with the recent Karnataka tax increase it's beyond our reach. Tried to settle for a G variant but team-bhp members were against me going without ABS.

I found your ownership experience interesting and that has made me relook the Xylo E8. I had given up the Xylo earlier because a number of members complained about the boat-like ride. I would probably get my wife to test-drive the Xylo this weekend.

The questions I had for you and the other members is:

1. Has any woman driven your Xylo? If so could you please share their feedback.

2. How easy did they find driving a Xylo in comparison to the Innova? (my wife felt very comfortable driving an Innova, she drives an Esteem now).

3. Having been a Maruti car family for a long time, how reliable would a Mahindra Xylo in comparison to Maruti/ Innova? Right now we take our Esteem to the garage twice a year. Can I continue doing that with the Xylo?

Thanks in anticipation...
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 23:18   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

Yes and No. I let my girlfriend drive it once for around 3 km on a highway and she has never driven a car before. She handled it pretty well though i had to shift gears after asking her to depress the clutch. So this driving experience does not count in your context.

2. How easy did they find driving a Xylo in comparison to the Innova? (my wife felt very comfortable driving an Innova, she drives an Esteem now).

I test drove both the vehicles before buying mine. So i can tell you there is not too much of a difference between xylo and innova. You cannot expect these vehicles to handle like your esteem.If she found driving the innova comfortable then driving the xylo is nothing different.The Xylo will only have a tad bit more bodyroll than innova only at high speeds above 100+

3. Having been a Maruti car family for a long time, how reliable would a Mahindra Xylo in comparison to Maruti/ Innova? Right now we take our Esteem to the garage twice a year. Can I continue doing that with the Xylo?
I had some issue with a EGR clamp in the initial stage but have not faced any reliability issues till date(touchwood) only regular service every 5000km/4months. So twice a year may not be possible as the service interval is every 4 months so you have to take it atleast 3 times in a year.
Glad to be of help.
rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:18   #216
Senior - BHPian

[quote=nowwhat?;1914272

[/quote]

Rocky has already answered your questions. Yet, here goes.

1.Yes, A really tall lady lady who finds it hard to fit into normal sedans had driven my Xylo. She drives a Innova and a X5.
Firstly, she found it easy to fit in. . I mean head room. She found it more spacious than her Innova. Got some time for her to get used to the roll then she drove it like a dream.

Most people will defintely find the innova more comfortable to drive. But buying the Xylo completely depends on your need and what you need this MUV for. Honestly, I found the Innova boring mostly on the hills.

3.I just did my 20k service. Cost me 6500. I have had issues with service. Yet I think its quite fair and should not be that expensive an affair.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:59   #217
BHPian

Don't mean to hijack Rocky's thread.

I just finished a test drive of the Xylo. When I drove I was very impressed by the acceleration, braking, etc. Fit and finish I found it to be much better than the age-old Esteem that we have. However a few things like the flight trays looked iffy -- It would have perhaps been better if Mahindra didn't put them in at all.

However when I sat in the back, I felt I was wobbling around a bit. Since both my wife and son have problems with motion sickness I am worried about this. Funny thing is I never felt it when I drove and since my wife will be driving, it may not be a problem.

Would love to hear from other Xylo owners out there, and perhaps some women Xylo owners.
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:04   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rocky,

My wife is 5-2" and she found it a bit difficult to press the long travel clutch - actually she found it a bit out of her reach

Quote:
Part of the reason we bought an Innova. My wife drives a Baleno and often tells me that she finds driving the Innova very comfortable, compared to her Xylo experience
Quote:

No clue - generally Mahindra vehicles are reliable.

I would suggest that you look at the "limited edition" Innova where you can fit a second row AC for some extra 30K or so and instead of ABS, fit wider 225/60 Tires. Should be all yours within 10 lakhs I guess.

In the past 13k of driving the Innova (I have a V) I have raredly used the ABS and almost never in city driving. Regular pumping of the brake can work almost as well so long as you do it properly.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 3rd June 2010 at 20:06.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 22:22   #219
BHPian

My wife took a test drive of the Xylo and she liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
My wife is 5-2" and she found it a bit difficult to press the long travel clutch - actually she found it a bit out of her reach
Yes, this was the same problem my wife had. She was uncomfortable with the clutch. She tried all sorts of seating positions and finally moved the seat forward to be able to depress the clutch properly. Not sure if that solved the problem.

The gearshift is also a little weird, but my wife felt she could figure it out in a few days.

Last time they had brought the Xylo to my house. According to the dealer (SKS Automobiles now opened in Koramangala), it was a 2009 model. This time we visited the showroom. I saw a brand new Xylo there and I got to say that the interiors of the new one are way better than the 2009 model.

I particularly liked the tan (khakhi) colour interiors of the D. White Xylo. The quality of the plastics too was much better. I had noticed the iffy bits earlier but the same ones in the brand new Xylo were much better. Luckily there are no plastics in lilac colour on the D. White.

I also liked the new tan faux wood finish on the doors. I hated the light-yellow-brown ones on the Innova VX.

By the way the Xylo AC is chilling. Didn't make a note of the setting, but my son always switches it off after a few minutes because he can't bear the cold.

Honestly, I just can't see myself buying an Innova after seeing the Xylo. Whether I would buy the Xylo, I am still unsure of.

Could anyone shed light on the resale values of Mahindra cars? If I buy the Xylo for 10 lakhs now, can anyone speculate how much it would cost say at the end of 3 and 5 years?
Old 6th June 2010, 13:52   #220
BHPian

Hi rocky,
Thanks for your reply. I would love to travel light but with two kids its near impossible. Thanks to my better half's planning i did not face any major trouble.
Regarding ski rack after some research and talking to people who have done it i decided not to go ahead with it. After seeing your reverse sensor setup i am tempted to go for it.
Cheers
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 13:00   #221
BHPian

Hi Rocky,

I have followed your thread on the purchase and usage of your xylo and finally we have bought one as well. We bought a black xylo from SKS Bangalore. Will give all details when i post my own thread. I would like to thank you and the others who have contributed to your thread for a very insightful feedback.
BigWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 13:05   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rocky,

@ nowwhat, I just bought a xylo. I was driving a santro previously and driving xylo is more or less like driving a bigger santro. I am 5ft 6" and there is no problem in terms of view etc.

Infact I think Xylo is easily one of the best suv/muv league vehicles fit for a lady to drive.
Old 10th July 2010, 02:43   #223
BHPian

Hey Bigwheels,

Congratulations on your intelligent and practical buy...
Atleast post some delivery shots here!

IMO xylo is not just the best for ladies , because shifting the gear lever becomes quite an amount of task for ladies when they start driving!!
But its sure the no nonsense car! crunch many many miles!

Regards,
Sahil

Last edited by don_carmaster : 10th July 2010 at 02:44.
don_carmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 13:54   #224
BHPian

Thanks Sahil.
I do have a question though. Where in either the vehicle or any documentation can i confirm that the xylo i bought is indeed BS4?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 13th July 2010, 21:35   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post
@ nowwhat, I just bought a xylo. I was driving a santro previously and driving xylo is more or less like driving a bigger santro. I am 5ft 6" and there is no problem in terms of view etc.

Infact I think Xylo is easily one of the best suv/muv league vehicles fit for a lady to drive.
@BigWheels: Sorry for the delay in my post.

Congratulations on your new Xylo!

My wife and I were very keen on the Xylo E8 w/ABS. We had planned to take it on corporate lease but couldn't make sense of the numbers and were forced to give it up.

I look forward to your ownership report. I am sure there are many women and husbands like me who would need a woman's perspective on this car.