Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 15:20   #61
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 334 Times
Default SX4 ZXi VVT - Manual Test Driven

Folks, I finally managed to test drive the VVT ZXi manual today. I am an SX4 owner (Non VVT version) and wanted to test out the VVT effect. For those who are of the impatient nature, here's the verdict "The VVT manual is perceivably more refined, less noisy and better performing than the old SX4". Now for the others, read on

I had been trying to test drive the new SX4 for quite some time and somehow couldn't get the right opportunity (lack of time and laziness). I had driven the A/T version but some how wanted to test out the MT as well. Today had gone to the showroom for a minor problem in my current SX4 (The remote fuel lid lever wasn't functioning properly). Thought while the work was on, would test drive the VVT one. Pratham motors now have a dedicated VVT manual test drive vehicle. Inserted the Key and cranked the engine. Slotted the lever into 1st gear and started. Wow the judder that is there in my current SX4 was not felt. It started off as smooth as silk. The vibrations felt in gear1 was also absent. The initial moments were really impressive. I then began accelerating and the man just surged ahead. The engine noise was significantly lower compared to the old version. Also at lower RPMs torque was perceivably more. Slotted the lever to 5th and touched 100Kmph quickly. Engine refinement was very good. The booming noise that used to come after around 3000 odd rpm seemed to be lesser. However, there was a revv note that I personally enjoyed as a petrol buff.

Another difference that I observed was the gear shift. It seemed to be easier than the old one which is sometimes difficult to slot in 1 and Reverse. This one was very smooth but the throw I felt was slightly longer (or is it me?). The steering seemed a little more light compared to the old version. I felt the old one gave a better road feel (not sure again, but that's what I felt). The drive lasted around 6 kms and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Interiors are the same except for the dual tone. There is the USB slot and back lit audio controls on the steering. These buttons also make a small note when operated (volume and channel buttons). The faux wooden door handles somehow didn't feel great. Overall there is definitely an improvement in engine performance in terms of refinement and acceleration. The ARAI proclaimed FE figure of 15Kmpl is I thing another feather in the cap. I do hope this review helps all those prospective Team-BHPians who are looking for a car in the 8-9 L budget. Attaching some pictures as well.

Cheerz
Attached Images
   
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 15:45   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 136
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Folks, I finally managed to test drive the VVT ZXi manual today. I am an SX4 owner (Non VVT version) and wanted to test out the VVT effect. For those who are of the impatient nature, here's the verdict "The VVT manual is perceivably more refined, less noisy and better performing than the old SX4". Now for the others, read on

I had been trying to test drive the new SX4 for quite some time and somehow couldn't get the right opportunity (lack of time and laziness). I had driven the A/T version but some how wanted to test out the MT as well. Today had gone to the showroom for a minor problem in my current SX4 (The remote fuel lid lever wasn't functioning properly). Thought while the work was on, would test drive the VVT one. Pratham motors now have a dedicated VVT manual test drive vehicle. Inserted the Key and cranked the engine. Slotted the lever into 1st gear and started. Wow the judder that is there in my current SX4 was not felt. It started off as smooth as silk. The vibrations felt in gear1 was also absent. The initial moments were really impressive. I then began accelerating and the man just surged ahead. The engine noise was significantly lower compared to the old version. Also at lower RPMs torque was perceivably more. Slotted the lever to 5th and touched 100Kmph quickly. Engine refinement was very good. The booming noise that used to come after around 3000 odd rpm seemed to be lesser. However, there was a revv note that I personally enjoyed as a petrol buff.

Another difference that I observed was the gear shift. It seemed to be easier than the old one which is sometimes difficult to slot in 1 and Reverse. This one was very smooth but the throw I felt was slightly longer (or is it me?). The steering seemed a little more light compared to the old version. I felt the old one gave a better road feel (not sure again, but that's what I felt). The drive lasted around 6 kms and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Interiors are the same except for the dual tone. There is the USB slot and back lit audio controls on the steering. These buttons also make a small note when operated (volume and channel buttons). The faux wooden door handles somehow didn't feel great. Overall there is definitely an improvement in engine performance in terms of refinement and acceleration. The ARAI proclaimed FE figure of 15Kmpl is I thing another feather in the cap. I do hope this review helps all those prospective Team-BHPians who are looking for a car in the 8-9 L budget. Attaching some pictures as well.

Cheerz

Ditto. I have not driven the old SX4, but certainly the VVT engine is not noisy, its smooth, acceleration is good, steering not heavy at all, and the gear shift fluid.

You drove the white one Nurni. Thats the colour I bought. Doesn't it look just awesome!
vivprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 22:39   #63
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
Ditto. I have not driven the old SX4, but certainly the VVT engine is not noisy, its smooth, acceleration is good, steering not heavy at all, and the gear shift fluid.

You drove the white one Nurni. Thats the colour I bought. Doesn't it look just awesome!
No I didn't drive the white one. There is a dedicated Test drive vehicle with stickering on it (silky silver I guess). But yes the white looks awesome
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 18:06   #64
BHPian
 
mrwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 175
Thanked: Once
Default Continued...

Dippy has kindly created a new Initial Ownership thread for me here (My new SX4 ZXi MT : Initial Report)

All post buy discussions (old and new) can be found there along with pictures (soon!)
mrwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 21:56   #65
BHPian
 
abhi182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 316
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

Quote:
- The boot really needs to be slammed down to shut, seems like a defect, can anyone confirm?
haven't really opened the boot as yet :-/
will check and post back!

BTW where in Pune do you go for accessories...
delhi has karol bagh, chennai has GP road..any such place in pune too?
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:50   #66
BHPian
 
SX4LOVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 277
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Oh i wonder if anyone has noticed that the rear window glasses do not roll down fully? They go down only 3/4 the length.
thats primarily for the safety of the children sitting in rear sets so that they do not get their heads or hands out of the window. at least thats what the guys at Kataria Ahmedabad told me while taking the delivery of my car!! did sound convincing though.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:52   #67
BHPian
 
SX4LOVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 277
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
haven't really opened the boot as yet :-/
will check and post back!

BTW where in Pune do you go for accessories...
delhi has karol bagh, chennai has GP road..any such place in pune too?
Carax near balewadi is one choice. otherwise Nana peth near laxmi road is like the car accessories market. good stuff at some real cheap rates. You have to watch out for fakes though. and also, you have to categorically mention that you want good/genuine stuff.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 21:00   #68
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
haven't really opened the boot as yet :-/
will check and post back!

BTW where in Pune do you go for accessories...
delhi has karol bagh, chennai has GP road..any such place in pune too?
Other option is JM road - quite a few shops there as well.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 21:09   #69
BHPian
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 467 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
thats primarily for the safety of the children sitting in rear sets so that they do not get their heads or hands out of the window. at least thats what the guys at Kataria Ahmedabad told me while taking the delivery of my car!! did sound convincing though.
This reminded me of our first padmini where the glass wouldnt go down fully..
On the sx, there is a button that cuts out the power to all the power window switches. Its located next to the door lock/unlock switch.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Suzuki SX4 1.6 ZXI Test Drive Report kunal1983 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 428 14th January 2008 01:31
SX4 VXI vs Fiesta Petrol 1.4 ZXI calvinkrishy Sedans 13 7th August 2007 15:55
SX4 VXI or ZXI hey_basu Sedans 28 21st July 2007 20:46
swift (zxi/vxi) is zxi vfm? karty_83 Hatchbacks 30 10th May 2007 14:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks