Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th December 2009, 23:04   #1

Default An i10 of joy!

Hello Folks!

Have been driving around in a Oyster Grey i10 Asta (without sunroof) for the past 5 months - had upgraded from an Imperial Red Santro LS purchased in 2000. Had mentioned about the reasons for my choice and the "elimination of competition" in my post in the Introduce Yourself forum. And I keep finding my observations tallying well with Team-BHP reports.

The i10 is an absolute pleasure to drive, both in the city and the highways (though I have not really done that much on them yet). Am planning on a 2000 km drive during the Christmas - New Year week. Queries on that will come in a separate post!

Anyway, here is my report on the i10:
What I love
Handling & maneouverability - great on narrow/busy roads
Powerful Pick-up - quick getaway when there is a bus roaring behind you!
Smooth sailing at reasonably high speeds - the car simply "purrs" at 90 kmph on a reasonably good road.
AC - an absolute chiller even in a city like Chennai where one has to use it all round the year!
Feel of the EPS and the steering wheel itself

What I like
Stable feel of the car at speeds as high as 120 Kmph
Soothing display console - easy to readwithout any eye strain
Music system - great sound
Good mileage - already getting 12-13 kmpl in the city (after 4K kms)
The heavy "thunk" with which the doors close

What I would have like to have in addition
Dead pedal to rest the left foot (a surprising omission from the Santro)
Height adjustable seats
Play & pause button in the music system (a surprising omission - also noticed the same in other cars like the Honda Jazz) as well as a remote control
Automatic door locking as soon as the engine is started (as in the standard autocop remote locking systems) or once the car starts moving (lock engages once the car reaches about 20 kmph)

What I dislike
Reflections in the windshield from the dashboard, especially while driving on a bright day on streets which have tree cover
Slightly bigger blind spots when compared to a Santro

What I really dislike
The manual - leaves a lot to be desired. HYundai has tried to come up with a single manual for all the i10 variants and this is a bad idea. It is absolutely confusing. For almost every feature and description there is a disclaimer saying "if fitted". There is no tabulation anywhere of what is and what is not fitted in the different models! There are four different music system descriptions and it takes some effort to figure out which one is actually there in the car. A personalisation of the manual with respect to the particular model should have been done!

Some niggling issues
Ignition key reminder - manual, reference quide, comparative tables of features all state that there is a key reminder system in the Asta and that a buzzer alarm is supposed to sound when the key is in the ignition in the off position and the doors are open. This does not happen. Have checked this with 2 other Asta owners. Hyundai service, nice & courteous as the staff were, was of no help in this regard. As soon as I complained, an autocop person landed at my door, but had to be sent back because the security was not the third party one, but factory fitted from Hyundai! They have still not been able to explain to me if a buzzer alarm is supposed to sound. (This feature is there in many other cars, for instance, the Honda Jazz.)
RVM vibrations - At certain speeds, particularly lower speeds on higher gears (like 30 kmph on 4th or 5th gear) the inside rear view mirror vibrates. Found it to be so in several other i10s. Again the Hyundai service could not sort this problem.

Dont know how many of you all have similar experiences/opinions and comments. Does any one know about the Ignition Key Reminder issue? And, of course, I could do without the RVM vibrations. Any suggestions?

Cheerio,
ssbiitm

Last edited by aah78 : 11th December 2009 at 04:43. Reason: Text format tags removed.
ssbiitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:36   #2
BHPian

Have you got the car or just now booked it. how was your dealership experience, which dealer you got it from. what offers you got in it

A thread without pics is crime here
jp2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for your new ride.

..and that really was a well written, Honest review
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbiitm View Post
Dead pedal to rest the left foot (a surprising omission from the Santro)
I think many cars in here misses this one.

Quote:
Automatic door locking as soon as the engine is started (as in the standard autocop remote locking systems) or once the car starts moving (lock engages once the car reaches about 20 kmph)
Many factory fitted security system don't have this one. Cost cutting?

Quote:
Reflections in the windshield from the dashboard, especially while driving on a bright day on streets which have tree cover
Blame it on the beige interiors. But, i am sure you will be used to it in a while.

Quote:
Does any one know about the Ignition Key Reminder issue?
Seems like some issue in the system. You need to check it with service guys. Is there any settings to disable this? or may be some sensors on door not working?

And yes, where is the pics
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks!

Does any one know about the Ignition Key Reminder issue?  
My friend has an i10 & had this same query raised with the dealer.
The explanation given was as follows:There is no audible warning, however when the key is inside the key barrel on the steering coloumn, you will not be able to lock the door using the inside button & close the door from outside, thus preventing the car being locked and the key remaining inside. Hope I have been able to explain it to you correctly. I think you have to try it out to understand. So the reminder is actually not a beep sound!
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 14:00   #6
BHPian

Congrats on your new car.
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 21:54   #7
BANNED

even i am facing distractions due to dashboard reflections on windscreen, it is heavy when driving under tree shades but i wear polarized sunglass glass during daytime drive and it totally hides/controls the dashboard reflections on windshield.

-MUKE
muke31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 22:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations ssbiitm on becoming an i10 Asta owner. Its now a best seller for HMIL and has become a favourite possession for many new owners.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 23:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your i10.
share some pics of your car with us.
I have had the same experience and same explanation for that key reminder thing.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 23:12   #10
BHPian

Slightly bigger blind spots when compared to a Santro

This is something everyone complains about. The beige interiors are a problem when driving on a bright day with tree shades.

The manual - leaves a lot to be desired. HYundai has tried to come up with a single manual for all the i10 variants and this is a bad idea.

Not sure if someone has pointed about this earlier. Nor my friends who own an i10. Nice information for others. Probably it does not matter to someone who does not read the manual in detail.

Last edited by Aarman_008 : 11th December 2009 at 23:14.
Aarman_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 00:29   #11

Yes, I do feel like a criminal not having shared any pics. The first set were enormous-sized pics taken in tiff formats (had the plan of making a large poster with it!). Will do so shortly after taking a fresh set. Sorry, Folks!

Bimi - you are perfectly right in that once the key is in the ignition barrel, you cannot lock the door with the inside button when the driver side door is open. I had found this quite by coincidence and confirmed it with Hyundai. I dont know if this works with with any of the other doors - will check this out. Get the feeling that the passenger side door lock will behave the same way (since it has the central locking facility), but not with the rear doors.

As regards my experience with HMP Chennai (the dealer), it was great. They were courteous, helpful and,in a manner of speaking, lured me into this purchase from them (both KUN and DSC Hyundai are closer to my place, but I still chose HMP). The sales representative was smart, very professional and made sure that I did not have to wait at any stage, whether to answer a query or to take a test drive. I would give them a 5 star rating!

The very first incident with the car is quite fresh in my memory and it made me feel then and there that my choice was justified. After the PDI, the ceremony and photo session (HMP took a photo of me & my family with the car, printed it out and put it into a display with a clock and a quote 'Welcome to the Hyundai Family!"), it was our turn to drive out with the car. We started the engine, switched on the AC and spent a little time looking at/admiring all the features. And we could see the HMP representative frantically trying to gesture and say something. She tapped on the window and when we rolled it down, she said, "You can go ahead and start the car now!" We were quite puzzled and were almost thinking of giving the ignition another crank, when we realised that the engine was actually running all the time. The rep realised it too and she recovered by saying,"I told you, Sir, that this is a silent car!" I dont ever remember being so pleased with what I bought at the very time of taking delivery. The best possible first impression!

Cheers,
ssbiitm
Old 16th December 2009, 23:31   #12

Default Here are the photos!

So, finally I get to put up the photos of the i10! And doesn't the car look absolutely grand!!

Cheers,
Ssbiitm
Attached Thumbnails
An i10 of joy!-i10front02.jpg  

An i10 of joy!-i10side01.jpg  

An i10 of joy!-pc121932.jpg  

An i10 of joy!-pc121933.jpg  

An i10 of joy!-i10side02.jpg  

Old 17th December 2009, 00:12   #13
BHPian

Looks quite nice there. Any planned mods in the pipeline?

Quote:
The manual - leaves a lot to be desired. HYundai has tried to come up with a single manual for all the i10 variants and this is a bad idea.

I first thought you were talking about the gearbox.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 06:35   #14
BHPian

Congrats on the buy.Nice colour .

Quote:
RVM vibrations - At certain speeds, particularly lower speeds on higher gears (like 30 kmph on 4th or 5th gear) the inside rear view mirror vibrates. Found it to be so in several other i10s. Again the Hyundai service could not sort this problem.
This is there in my i10 aswell.

Safe ride.

kartik
i10 sportz sleek silver
Rjeevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 22:29   #15
BANNED

Hi ssbiitm

Congratulations !

I also owned an i10 Asta ( without sunroof ) during December 09. Very happy with the vehicle, except the mileage. I am getting only 10 kmpl in City and 15 kmpl on highway.

Well, I have another problem with my car.

The seat belt warning sign disapprears after a few seconds of switching on the engine, even if you dont wear the seat belt. As per the product manual the seat belt sign should disappear only after wearing the seat belt. I also obeserved that, the sign appears and disappears when you unfasten your seatbelt, while the engine is on. I raised thie issue with Service Centre during the first service. They say, it works like this in i10 Asta and nothing is faulty.

I would be grateful, if you check this in your car and tell me how it works..
krish-iitm is offline   Reply With Quote