Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th December 2009, 12:12   #1
BHPian

Talking Realising the Scorpio dream

Finally after five years I have realised the dream of owning the Scorpio, no regrets at all over the delay as it was well spent honing my driving skills with the WagonR (my first car).
Had always wanted to own one, had even checked out the pricing of Scorpio when i was shopping around for my 1st Car, the price was out of my reach and was too inexperienced to go for a second hand Scorpio, so settled for what I considered the Scorpios poor little cousin the Wagon R!!! (The tall boy, the body roll that is inherent in SUV's in my view atleast)

I had made up my mind about the vehicle before i even went to the TD.
Surprised my visiting Brother and Sis-in Law by dragging them along to the Showroom for the first dekko at the dream. They were trying there best to dissuade me and i stubbornly stuck to my guns. Couldn't do the test drive as the vehicle was out(Sireesh Auto, Hosur Road) however had got the price list and scoped out that the SLe was the one that fit my requirements the best.
My requirements were simple,
1. Daily city drive of about 50~60kms.
2. Occasional long distance drives in Safety and Comfort.
3. Short Weekend hauls with Family and friends.
4. Diesel to take the Fuel bill load off my wallet(the WagonR averaged around 12~13 a liter of petrol, Average cost of around 5k a month).

So the second time I visited the showroom i had figured out the finance requirements (Bank loan from SBI) and visited with Mom n sister in tow for the test drive. Did a TD of the VLx with the micro Hybrid. Mom n sis were suitably impressed, with Moms comment that it was like sitting in a Bus confusing me about the need to buy a 10 lac Bus!!! but the context of her remark was that she felt as safe as in a bus and the view that she enjoyed perched up in the elevations of the Scorpio.
so the non utility of the microhybrid was reinforced when it failed to work in the TD as the Sales assistant pointed out that i had to release the clutch quickly for it to work. The non utility of the Cruise control in my daily commute made ruling out the VLx easier. The automatic was still a nice to have feature considering the traffic in Bengaluru, but economics won the day.
(Higher capital investment + lower FE)

Right after the TD the Sales exec was shocked to learn that i wanted to book immediately, with apparently no effort from his side to hard sell it to me. The bargaining was for the discounts, which i am happy to say i feel i got a good deal on, around 57k worth of it. (20k employee discount+ 5k cash + 6k accessories + cash discount instead of the 16k ICE + cash discount instead of the 10k extended warranty). However have plans to get the extended warranty before the end of the first year.
The next difficult decision was the color and seating. after much thought it was decided to go for the 8 seater i.e., the front facing 3rd row of seats.

The color was easier as i always wanted to match it with my WagonR's Silky silver and Mist Silver was the closest. So on the 24th Oct 09 I booked the Dream car!!! Delivery was assured within a week of the Bank loan approval.

The wait began for the Bank approval which ended on the 2nd Nov when it was approved and after a little chasing around and frayed tempers from my end i got to PDI the vehicle on the 6th of Nov. more on this in my next post...

before tat the pic of my first view of the dream at the PDI
Attached Thumbnails
Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00092_1.jpg  

SanScorpio is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 13:05   #2
BHPian

I was wondering how does the new scoprio looks in silver since there are very few around with the new face lift. I just reached the office thinking about it and i see your post with the same color

Hearty congrats on your new vehicle. Please post more pics.
klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 13:12   #3
BANNED

Sanscorpio, Congrats on your new buy, it is my dream car too since its launch but still waiting for some more months before I o for Auto version.
Silky silver looks nice. So how much did it cost you ?
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 13:23   #4
BHPian

The new faced scorpio looks awesome in Silky Silver..very Imposing..
put in new alloys and its a definite headturner with very good road presence.
Congrats on fulfilling a long standing dream SanScorpio.
nairanupg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 13:50   #5
BHPian

Klassics45,
thanks for the congrats, here is one more pic, though the phone cam doesnt do justice to the beautys presence , will have to do till i get back my digital cam from service.

Jacksons,
Thanks, hope u get your Scorpio soon, its worth the wait though, the cost On road is Rs.9,97,653/- before discount so after the discounts it cost me Rs.9,46,653/- and its worth it!!!!
the onroad price of the VLx AT is Rs.11,92,759/- in Oct, though when i took the delivery on the 9th of Nov there was a price hike of around 10 across the whole range of variants.
Attached Thumbnails
Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00158.jpg  

SanScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 14:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
The new faced scorpio looks awesome in Silky Silver..very Imposing..
put in new alloys and its a definite headturner with very good road presence.
Congrats on fulfilling a long standing dream SanScorpio.
Sorry about the confusion regarding the color, its Mist Silver on the Dream Machine. The WagonR has a Silky Silver. The Scorpio is a shade darker than the WagonR.
Alloys is indeed on my list of things to get the Beauty, apart from these
1. Front windscreen Sunscreen
2. Rear View Camera.
3. Front Windscreen Visor, as i have noticed that water tends to flow from the roof onto the Front windscreen during rains, need some advice on this. Dont want it to hamper the view nor the aesthetics of the clean front end of the machine.

Santosh
Old 14th December 2009, 14:40   #7
BANNED

SanScorpio, congratulations on your new wheels.Its a great feeling to own your dream machine which you got one.Enjoy your ride and keep updating your thread.share some more pictures after getting your cam back.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 14:42   #8
BHPian

congrats buddy trust me you'll love owning this dream vehicle
Off Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 14:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

SanScorpio,

+1 to what klassics45 has written above. I'm planning to buy the Scorpio SLE variant too, in Feb/March 2010, and was wondering if Silver would be a good choice. Your posts have emphatically given a positive answer to that question!

Congratulations, and wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 15:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

SanScorpio, Congratulations on your new buy! I can promise you that you would not be disapointed a single day of your ownership of the beast. I have been a proud owner of 2 scorpios' so far(including the one I have now, VLX black from last one and half years). I too wanted to buy the Misty silver, but it had blue interiors those days & I did not like the interior blue combo. So went for black this time.

Happy Motoring!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 15:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

well done and welcome to Scorp country!
you've written the whole thing nicely - indeed it feels fantastic to finally achieve something you've been dreaming of!
all the best!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 15:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
Sorry about the confusion regarding the color, its Mist Silver on the Dream Machine. The WagonR has a Silky Silver. The Scorpio is a shade darker than the WagonR.
Alloys is indeed on my list of things to get the Beauty, apart from these
1. Front windscreen Sunscreen
2. Rear View Camera.
3. Front Windscreen Visor, as i have noticed that water tends to flow from the roof onto the Front windscreen during rains, need some advice on this. Dont want it to hamper the view nor the aesthetics of the clean front end of the machine.

Santosh
i personally dont like the visors on a scorpio mate...
and i'd say they arent all that of a necessity. have driven the old scorpio pretty extensively in mumbai with rains pouring down and i found the wipers pretty effecient. You call though.
And Mist Silver sounds even more better. Who cares what the colour is called man; the beast looks a killer
nairanupg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 17:41   #13
BHPian

Thanks Vijay, Rohan, Vikram, getsurya, shankar.balan, Anup

getsurya- the interiors are now Beige, pretty bright and lively, have fitted her out with art leather seats of Beige and Brown, with also the doorpads in brown art leather.
Vikram, she does look great in Silver, you should get a glimpse of her in the flesh to get the right perspective as the pics of my phone cam isnt doing her complete justice.

Anup,
I personally don't like the front visors, in pouring rain the wiper are effective, but its during the light rain/ slight drizzle(you know the kind where it collects on the windshield after a couple of mins, but doesn't require a continuous wipe as it would then be wiping on dry glass most of the time) thats when i face this problem, i put the wipers on intermittent and whenever i brake to slow the beauty's advance into the innumerable potholes that dot the landscape called the roads in bangalore i have a flood of water cascading down onto the windscreen. pretty irritating. have to figure out a aesthetic solution for this. probably a visor that is the same color the body which will reroute the water towards the A pillar.
here are some more pics of the Beauty.
the first is a view of her from my Balcony.

And have checked out the FE for a couple of Full tank to refill readings and so far have got 9kmpl in the city on my first tank full with AC around 80% of the time and 10kmpl on my second attempt with relatively sedate driving, AC on 80% of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00159.jpg  

Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00164.jpg  

Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00166_1.jpg  

Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00167_1.jpg  

Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00169.jpg  

Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00170.jpg  

Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00172.jpg  

Realising the Scorpio dream-dsc00173.jpg  

Old 14th December 2009, 23:31   #14
BHPian

oh boy you sure have spent a bomb on your cars interiors and ice, very nice =)
uh those ventilating beads really do need a rethink. i understand their practical importance but they are not going too well with the interiors. we have used them on our fiat/esteem/800 at various stages but once after spending the whole day in the car i realized my entire backside was imprinted with their pattern, also occassionally womens hair would get stuck in it and given the fact that the ac was always on (except the fiat) we discontinued its usage.
may i suggest that you get the B and C pillar of your car stuck with black stickers in line with the glass area, they really do add a lot of character, check out the following link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...their-suv.html
Off Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 06:51   #15
BHPian

Hey Rohan,
thanks for the compliments on the interior, though i dont think i spent a bomb on it(family ofcourse disagrees).
And the beads are out, will consider using them only while going on a long drive. have been using the same set for 5 years in my WagonR so have got used to it.

About the B and C pillars, looked at Mansidea's Scorp and it really looks cool.
I have 3M RE-35 sunfilm on the side and rear glass, they silver up nicely in the sun so i am not quite sure how the beauty would look, will probably get nice photos of her in the sun and try photoshoping her B and C pillars black to see how she shapes up.

Santosh