Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd March 2010, 20:38   #121
BHPian

There is a nice article by GTO on use of Synthtic Vs. Mineral (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)
However when enquired about the extended intervals of oil change associated with Synthetic, the SA told me that there is no such a thing called extended interval for Synthetic and it should be treated just like mineral oil which means the oil change interval is same for synthetic and mineral. This is what is recommended by TBHP as well, see the above thread
Ofcourse the benifits are aplenty in Syntetic.

Last edited by jayanth_yk : 22nd March 2010 at 20:43.
jayanth_yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:41   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
There is a nice article by GTO on use of Synthtic Vs. Mineral (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)
However when enquired about the extended intervals of oil change associated with Synthetic, the SA told me that there is no such a thing called extended interval for Synthetic and it should be treated just like mineral oil which means the oil change interval is same for synthetic and mineral. Ofcourse the benifits are aplenty in Syntetic.
well, I was reading the same thread where in there are different schools of thoughts. Synthetic is recommended but for those whose running is very low, better alternative might be to switch to mineral (as per the thread).
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:42   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
does filling in a synthetic oil means oil change interval is increased ? Normally, for city, i think oil change is for every 5000 kms, but, with synthetic oil, which has more engine life, is it still recommended to change oil every 5k kms?
This is one reason Iam away with, if it's synthetic I would stick to replace once every 10k, 5k is very less. Ideally yes, interval should be 10k km.

But, as per Honda manual oil change has to be done every 5k km, I felt synthetic oil change every 5k is not reasonable as it's more expensive as well. But, would probably try it out once at 3rd service at 10k on my ODO.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:49   #124
BHPian

Quote:
But, as per Honda manual oil change has to be done every 5k km, I felt synthetic oil change every 5k is not reasonable as it's more expensive as well. But, would probably try it out once at 3rd service at 10k on my ODO.
Unfortunately this is not what Honda SA would advise you. I have seen that Honda SA insist on Synthetic for VTEC engines
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:52   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately this is not what Honda SA would advise you. I have seen that Honda SA insist on Synthetic for VTEC engines
How about the interval in such a case, did they say it can be done every 10k kms?

Kalyan sorry for hijaking your post.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:06   #126
BHPian

Quote:
How about the interval in such a case, did they say it can be done every 10k kms?

Sorry if my statement was confusing. I meant the SA said even if it's Synthetic the oil change remains at 5k only.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:26   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post

Synthetic oil change interval is every 10000Km/6months. I had used synthetic oil at 10000km service. Changed again during 20000Km service. No change of oil during 15000Km service.

But reading through posts in Team-BHP, I am seeing variations across cities / workshops on synthetic oil change for AHNC. My experience has been with Sundaram Honda and Capital Honda in Chennai.
sandy261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:14   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Even I got my second service done at 2.7k Kms, they changed the oil(Mineral, although they insisted to switch to Honda synthetic oil), If I can recall reading the service manual there is no filter change in the second service
You are right, Jayanth, its not in their service manual. But, as I'd been reading other T-BHP threads and since this is the first oil change in my car, I thought changing the oil filter would be meaning-ful so that the so called the metal particles that might have come out during the initial use of the car would be flushed out.

In my case, they did not give me an option, they apparently use only mineral oil for City.

Quote:
Did you not ask them what was this charged for? If it's for pickup/drop then it's 50% cheaper than bangalore. I wonder if why.
The first time I asked about it, the SA told me that some consumables(fluids) were topped-up and since they could not bill for that in parts category as it is not allowed to bill partly but as a whole say 1 litre etc. They usually bill such things under labor cost. But, as I see it again this time, I suspect that this is towards the so called complimentary pick-up and drop facility.

Quote:
Does Honda give you an option to choose whether you prefer synthetic or mineral oil ? In my case, they have used synthetic oil and hence my second "free" service cost came to 2128.
Joe, going by the comments/ experience about this from different Honda car owners, I am assuming that Honda does not have a policy on the use of oil in ANHC, I mean on whether Mineral or Synthetic oil should be used. I am guessing the service stations form a policy on that.

In my case, they did not give me an option, they apparently use only Mineral oil for City. I was happy about that so I did not crib.

Quote:
does filling in a synthetic oil means oil change interval is increased ? Normally, for city, i think oil change is for every 5000 kms, but, with synthetic oil, which has more engine life, is it still recommended to change oil every 5k kms?
Again Joe, since Honda seemingly does not decide about the use of Synthetic oil in ANHC, the service manual states that oil change is to be done every 5,000 kms or 6 months and the service station guys stick to this even if using Synthetic oil.

Quote:
well, I was reading the same thread where in there are different schools of thoughts. Synthetic is recommended but for those whose running is very low, better alternative might be to switch to mineral (as per the thread).
I have formed this strategy reading several articles on use of Mineral oil Vs Synthetic oil in my car. I plan to use mineral oil till I've finished 10k kms on my car and then move to Synthetic oil. While in warranty(4 yrs), we will still have to go by the manual which says oil change in 6 months(5k kms) irrespective of which oil we use.

So, what you say is quite feasible and works out good. If using Mineral oil, we can stick to the 6 month oil change and get frequent oil changes when compared to synthetic oil. I believe its better for the engine to get frequent oil changes using Mineral oil rather than a longer duration of Synthetic oil change interval.

Quote:
This is one reason Iam away with, if it's synthetic I would stick to replace once every 10k, 5k is very less.
But then, Raghu, the Honda SA will have the chance to crib about the warranty becoming void.

Quote:
I would totally agree with you, ideally the interval should have been 12 months or 10k kms for oil change in case of Synthetic oil usage.

Quote:
Not the case with my SA. If insisted, they use Synthetic oil, by default, its always Mineral oil for ANHC.

Quote:
I am a benefactor with this discussion too, so no worries.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 23rd March 2010 at 09:20.
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 09:56   #129
BHPian

Seems this is again depends on Dealership to dealership, my dealer says they have both mineral and synthetic oil, If I switch to synthetic then service interval will be 1 Yr/10,000KM.
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 10:06   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Seems this is again depends on Dealership to dealership, my dealer says they have both mineral and synthetic oil, If I switch to synthetic then service interval will be 1 Yr/10,000KM.
Good to know that your dealer understands the usage.

By the time I switch to Synthetic, I am sure there'll be a policy change or I'll convince my SA. At my rate of use, I am going to cross 10k kms sometime after 1 1/2 years of the car's possession.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:11   #131
BHPian

I was just thinking over it, if I look back to the user manual service for service intervals

1st - 1000km/month
2nd - 5000km/3months
3rd - 10000km/6months

From then on every 6months, in other terms they expect us to clock 10k for every service, if such is the case then yes I agree to Synthetic if not I would stick to mineral.

+1 Joe, if usage is more then probably you can stick to Synthetic (as you would anyways be changing at every 10k mark) else Mineral.

MVTEC also mentioned that in Kerala they insist Synthetic for VTEC.

But, looks like it's varying from dealer to dealer. I would check with Dakshin this time.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:19   #132
BHPian

Quote:
+1 Joe, if usage is more then probably you can stick to Synthetic (as you would anyways be changing at every 10k mark) else Mineral.
True, even as per GTO's 'Mineral Oil Vs Synthetic Oil' thread, it is recommended that Synthetic oil be changed every 7,500 kms. So, I would say, if one is clocking around 7,500 - 10,000 kms in a 6 month cycle, it would be wiser to use Synthetic oil else use Mineral Oil.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:38   #133
BHPian

Default DIAG mode OR Civic style Digital Speedo Meter

Continuing from here(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1826628 (This Valentine: My Wife's gift to me - The ANHC VAT (Polished Metallic)))

I found some more things as mentioned below.

The first point mentioned below is the same as what @TheBeastFieast quoted, the rest are what I dug-up in my investigation:

Press 'Up' (also marked with return sign) + 'Down' (Marked with Play) + Power Button simultaneously the screen will show 'DIAG', hence putting the music system on hold and starting the diagnostic mode. After this, if you follow with one of the following steps, you will see different diag behaviors:

1. Press the 'Next' button it will start showing 'VSP 0'. VSP meaning 'Vehicle Speed' in kmph shown in a digital format. This will continue until you restart the car or switch off the power to the music system. The disadvantage being that only one of the music system or the Vehicle speed display can be used at a time.

2. Once in DIAG mode, if you press the 'PREVIOUS' button, all indicators on the music system display and panel with glow up. This mode is to test if all the functions/ indicators of the panel are proper or not. This mode will be active as long as the car is running or until one toggles power to the music system.

3. Once in 'DIAG' mode, press 'MENU' and the display will start showing 'SW OFF'.
Now pressing any button on that panel will show information on what function the button pressed would perform.
Like :
a. Increasing the volume displays 'Vol +'
b. Decreasing the volume displays 'Vol -'
c. AM/ FM button press will display 'AM/FM'
d. Down(marked with play) will display 'PLAY'

I tried hitting all buttons on that panel and it gives me info on what that button would do for a brief while and then the display goes back to showing 'SW OFF'. This continues until one toggles the power to the music system.

If you notice something else, do post your findings here.

Pics coming tomorrow!
Old 9th April 2010, 10:47   #134
BHPian

Thanks Kalyan for the 'Menu' option, I have a feeling that this mode is somewhat related to OBD (On Board Diagnostic) and might be Honda Service Engineers use it for troubleshooting.
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 10:55   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
I have a feeling that this mode is somewhat related to OBD (On Board Diagnostic) and might be Honda Service Engineers use it for troubleshooting.
Yes, looks like that. I am sure there'll be many more hidden operations one can perform but I am not sure of how much the service engineers would be ready/ allowed to share with us. I am sure Honda has a policy on that else they would've mentioned all these in the manual.

I will try to be present in person for my third service(two months from now) and see if I can dig more from the service engineers. Meanwhile, you continue with your quest and keep us posted. This kind of stuff is deeply interesting.