Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2010, 13:27   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,263 Times
Default

Beautiful write up!
I loved the pics and the whole experience.
To be honest, the older Ikons were a bit higher maintainance. However, ford seems to have sorted that out with the fiesta, and the new models of the Ikons.
Our fiesta TDCi has done 56Kkm, and has not even 1 rattle and apart from service, nothing has ever cropped up. There was an issue with the A.C. once, and that was 50Kkm ago, and was replaced under warranty.
After that, it has been smooth sailing.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 13:35   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Good writeup Kiku. I had given up trying to explain to most people that the Ikon is not a bad car at all. My Ikon will be completing its 5 years in May 2010. It has covered over 45K kms and there is not a single rattle from it. I plan to keep it for 3 more years atleast, hopefully we will have a Fiesta 2.0 S by then .
Wish you a great time with the fiesta.
Cheers!
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 14:17   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default

I'm overwhelmed seeing quite a good number of people having nice things to say about the Ikon. It's one of India's most under rated car.

The enthusiasts stay away from engine mods for the Ikon. May be because it might lead to expensive repairs later.

Even the Fiesta, I have seen only Jerish666 doing some serious mods. If the 1.6S is such a great handler then there surely is room for extracting more power from the engine and enjoy it (Responsibly)

Interesting Trivia:
Year 2005
Decided to check out the used Ikon. So before that I went to MPL Ford to check out a new Ikon just to know more abt it.

Was shocked when I observed something and immediatly called my brother, "Hey this car doesn't have the button to lock the door from inside after we close it. How silly are these people?" We were used to the Maruti, Tata type of door lock button's.

Question the Sales person on this glaring omission. He politely shows that the Door Open lever needs to pushed inside to lock the door. Something like yesteryear Amby's. Was pretty much embarassed at my conclusion
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 20:57   #19
BHPian
 
mail4loys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 375
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Nice writeup Kiku. Congratulations on your new buy and enjoy your drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I had given up trying to explain to most people that the Ikon is not a bad car at all. My Ikon will be completing its 5 years in May 2010. It has covered over 45K kms and there is not a single rattle from it. I plan to keep it for 3 more years atleast, hopefully we will have a Fiesta 2.0 S by then .
My Ikon too will be completing its 5th years in Aug 2010, it has already covered 67K. No plans of letting it go, will be there with me for another few years.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 21:09   #20
BHPian
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 408
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Awesomely written Kiku. Loved each and every part of it. And yes, people (who talk without knowing) were never happy about the Ikon. The Ikon owners never gave two hoots. They didn't care as they knew what the Josh machine could do.

On the Fiesta buy..
My heartiest congratulations buddy. I love the black, the silver and this color. Looks killer.

Take good care of both buddy.

P.S: I liked the alloys on your Ikon. Same plans for the baby Fiesta as well?
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 17:35   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default Fiesta-300 Kms Update. Ikon-70000 Kms crossed today!

Fiesta sent to Chennai Ford Service Centre for the following issues:
  1. Rubber/Oil burning smell from the car's front side. Noticed esp when parking the car on a steep slope in my apartment due to may be use of half clutch or brake. But this was also noticed when taking the car on the highway (ECR).
  2. Car wasn't smooth in the 2nd gear with low revs, it would jerk.
  3. Idling noise was unusually high. Not as much as the TDCi but then it wasn't in the i10/Ikon territory either.
Reported to Chennai Ford. Car taken up for check-up today. Received a call that they were able to reproduce issues 2 & 3 and would rectify it (Why it came in the first place and how it is going to be rectified needs answers). They need more time to reproduce issue#1.

Ikon crossed 70K Kms mark today.

@ Cartman - Thanks for the compliments. No budget for any accessories for the Fiesta. The car itself is a big move from my Figo budget so any additions would warrant my expulsion from the house

Also the Ikon demands a tinkering and re-paint job soon (After wifey completes her driving lessons in it).
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 18:31   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Fiesta sent to Chennai Ford Service Centre for the following issues:
  1. Rubber/Oil burning smell from the car's front side. Noticed esp when parking the car on a steep slope in my apartment due to may be use of half clutch or brake. But this was also noticed when taking the car on the highway (ECR).
One of the hoses in the engine compartment must be touching the hotter parts. Ask them to take it on a good 5 kms run and see if they can re produce.

Quote:
Reported to Chennai Ford. Car taken up for check-up today. Received a call that they were able to reproduce issues 2 & 3 and would rectify it (Why it came in the first place and how it is going to be rectified needs answers). They need more time to reproduce issue#1.
It would be interesting to know the diagnosis behind 2 and 3.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 19:26   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default

Congrats Kishore!

My purchase was more or less similar to yours where I swapped from the Ikon to the Fiesta. The best car to replace my old work horse

Wish you many more happy miles with the Fiesta!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 09:20   #24
BHPian
 
infallible79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 49
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile

Congrats Kishore!!!

Even I upgraded from a Fiesta 1.4 EXi Petrol to a Fiesta 1.6 SXi Petrol recently. You got the ZXi at a very low price. I envy you mate .

My initial ownership report can be found at the below link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...purchased.html (Going Fida Again!!! Fiesta Petrol 1.6 SXi (Moondust Silver) Purchased.)

Safe driving.

Cheers!
Amit
infallible79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:33   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default 1500 Kms Update

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Here's a small update.

Took the Fiesta for a Chennai-Pondy-Cuddalore-Chennai trip. Myself and 3 other friends drove the car. Here's what we found
  1. Above 140 Kmph (Indicated top speed of around 160 Kmph) the car was as stable as a huge boulder.
  2. Effortlessly reaches 100 Kmph and can cruise at this speed for long without any sense of speed. It was like we reached Pondy in no time!
  3. The rear seat isn't as comfortable as the Ikon for 3 persons.
  4. After parking the car in sun for long, it takes ages for the AC to cool.
Apart from the trip, few observations
  1. The DTE never crosses 365 for a full tank with my kind of driving.
  2. I do hear the tak-tak sound in the steering column when a bump/hole is encountered in a turn.
  3. The burning smell ghost from the front side isn't there that much now. But I still want a proper check on that.
  4. Low speed ride over poor roads are VERY BUMPY compared to the Ikon or other Fiestas I have driven. I wonder how a 1.6S rides then (Not a complaint but those people should be gods to compromise ride for handling).
All in all, I like the car. Am happy with the purchase. Good that I have the Ikon with me still. I mean, I miss some of the Ikon's traits in the Fiesta. Like the low slung seating position, unlimited seat backrest adjust etc.

P.S: Please don't flame me for crossing legal speed limits. I agree that I'm no saint.

Last edited by kiku007 : 2nd March 2010 at 11:34.
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:27   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Ramsagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore-Nellore
Posts: 1,327
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Congrats. Nice color VFM buy. Know your acc. is dry, but its screaming for alloys & rear spoiler. See if you can get hold of Fiesta-S alloys. Are they sold as accessories?
May be its too early to ask, how about the mileage figures?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 3rd March 2010 at 09:29.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:50   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Congrats. Nice color VFM buy. Know your acc. is dry, but its screaming for alloys & rear spoiler. See if you can get hold of Fiesta-S alloys. Are they sold as accessories?
May be its too early to ask, how about the mileage figures?
Thanks! Ya I know the wheel caps are just too ordinary. Waiting for some Ford employee discounts on alloys. If it comes i'll jump and grab it!!

Mileage figures - Once I did a Full tank to full tank check and got around 8-9 KmpL. Heartburn. Even going by the DTE meter which shows 365 for a full tank, let's assume 380 Kms for 45 Ltrs will give 8.4 KmpL.

Warning - Pls don't go by these figures, since my daily running is close to 18Kms only (9 Km one way)
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:02   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Your mileage is a little on the lower side. I am guessing you must be really pushing the revs. My 1.6S gives about 9.5 with some fairly spirited driving. The regular Fiestas normally give about 10-11. Low speed ride on bad roads is indeed harsh on the 1.6S, but it smoothens out considerably if taken at speed. Of course, the handling is in a different league. The 1.6S seats have some extra bolstering so comfort levels are not too bad inside.Did you feel any kind of steering lightness at 140?

As for the AC, open all the windows and drive for a few minutes with the AC on if the car has been parked in the sun. The cabin will cool in no time after rolling up the windows. Any future ICE upgrade plans? I am getting the itch to upgrade after hearing the ICE in Bakiya's Fiesta the other day.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:10   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Your mileage is a little on the lower side. I am guessing you must be really pushing the revs. My 1.6S gives about 9.5 with some fairly spirited driving. The regular Fiestas normally give about 10-11. Low speed ride on bad roads is indeed harsh on the 1.6S, but it smoothens out considerably if taken at speed. Of course, the handling is in a different league. The 1.6S seats have some extra bolstering so comfort levels are not too bad inside.Did you feel any kind of steering lightness at 140?

As for the AC, open all the windows and drive for a few minutes with the AC on if the car has been parked in the sun. The cabin will cool in no time after rolling up the windows. Any future ICE upgrade plans? I am getting the itch to upgrade after hearing the ICE in Bakiya's Fiesta the other day.
1. Pushing the revs, hhm yes. Let me do some normal driving and see the FE figures
2. Steering lightness at 140 - I didn't notice any. Anyways I'll watch out for this.
3. AC - That's what I do, but still:(
4. ICE Upgrade - Not in the list!!
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:17   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
1. Pushing the revs, hhm yes. Let me do some normal driving and see the FE figures
2. Steering lightness at 140 - I didn't notice any. Anyways I'll watch out for this.
3. AC - That's what I do, but still:(
4. ICE Upgrade - Not in the list!!
At what RPM do you change gears? I change around 2800 or so in 'normal' mode. BTW my car gives lower mileage when the engine is lugged. I don't know how, but I am 100% sure of this. It gives better mileage when it's in the middle of the power band.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled sarathlal The International Automotive Scene 22 1st December 2017 08:35
Indica Vista Anniversary Edition Vs Ford Icon? satish_appasani Sedans 63 2nd March 2009 11:33
Ford Ikon mod - fiesta head on ikon block? madhunm Modifications & Accessories 2 2nd July 2007 09:24
calling CG artist to modify ford icon rahulzzz Modifications & Accessories 19 6th November 2006 20:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks