Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd January 2010, 13:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
I also spoke to the technical head for Bangalore from Tata Motors and for the first time experienced some good customer service. He also offered me a loaner vehicle till this one was rectified.
This is what. Try to escalate things to higher officials before thinking of legally sueing them. Remember they have a dedicated team to handle legal stuffs , which is there bread and butter.

So, its always better to settle things through higher channels as much as possible.

And again, this loaner vehicle is for the records. Tomorrow, he can highlight in court too saying that your needs are very much taken care by Tata Motors or dealers.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
This is what. Try to escalate things to higher officials before thinking of legally sueing them. Remember they have a dedicated team to handle legal stuffs , which is there bread and butter.

So, its always better to settle things through higher channels as much as possible.

And again, this loaner vehicle is for the records. Tomorrow, he can highlight in court too saying that your needs are very much taken care by Tata Motors or dealers.
I can tell you that winning against a manufacturer in court is a pretty darn hard job!

But somehow I think TM and M&M are kind of pioneering a new trend in customer care with the loaner vehicle thing which is not mandated as per warranty terms. As a matter of fact I don't think any other manufacturer offers this.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate event. Again reflects the poor QC at TML. Regarding the call Shrisa made to the Tollfree at 10pm, i feel that he is right to say that they werent helpful enough considering that he was stranded with family, and honestly, I would feel the same. However, on a comparitive note, If such an event would occur with any other brand of vehicle, car or suv, can better service be expected, especially at night...?

Some here suggest that the vehicle was not driven according to specified run in standards. I personally believe that a lot of fuss is made about this. Modern cars are not designed like the old Amby's anymore. No offence to old Amby owners here. I feel the manufacturer specifies run in periods just to prevent the owner from going overboard with enthusiasm. I dont think the Safari is designed to drive like a sedan anyways(my personal opinion). Its a brute that needs a whipping and is quite capable of taking it. Unfortunately, we read of too many lemons seem to be turning out of the TML stable nowadays. All those owning lemons, should take a cue from TSK and squeeze their lemons for all its worth.

Srisa, legal angles do sound brave, but you may spend many Christmas's waiting for a resolution. So if you deal patiently with some diplomatic restraint, then TML Customer care has delivered on most occasions. There is sufficient evidence of this on the forum, mine included. This could also be a one off issue. I had one too. Many Safari owners have had some kind of issue at the beginning of their ownership, which were sorted and never showed up again. I hope yours too is a one of thing.
Happy trucking.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 3rd January 2010 at 14:28.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 09:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation PM me if you need any further help.

Sad to hear about your issues. Things can certainly be rectified and like the others have said, there is no point in going to the court. Flatly, you will not gain anything from it.
On a better note, call me on: 9243466235 or send me a PM if you feel that Concorde Motors staff are not being as helpful as they should be. I know all of them in person and we can sort it out together.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 10:17   #20
SMK
BHPian

+1 to that devdath, I owned a Indica Turbo when i was in Bangalore bought from Concorde motors opposite to Christ College. The service i must say was top notch. Thank goodness i did not experience any major issues with my car during my 3 years of ownership, the regular service was pretty good and my issues were handled properly.
Unfortunate to hear that Srisha has issues with the car. There must be a proper reasoning behind the sudden non functionality of the car.
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 12:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about the issues you are facing in your brand new vehicle mate.

as someone rightly said, buying a safari is a coin toss. there are many members in this forum who are very much delighted with their safaris & many members who are frustrated with their vehicles. tata's poor QC & annoying behavior towards customers is not a new thing & i have faced this many times too. it has been discussed umpteen times in this forum that the safari is such a good product but still it has been facing dismal sales of 800-1000 vehicles/month whereas the competition is enjoying with 3000-4000 units/month just because of tata's poor/lazy/casual approach & attitude.

jaysmokesleaves mentioned that "If such an event would occur with any other brand of vehicle, car or suv, can better service be expected, especially at night...?". i would say definitely yes but i would refrain from stating the brand & vehicle to avoid any sort of debate in this thread.

anyways, coming to the point, many have suggested that you take the legal route but i would say- avoid. if you do a quick search in this forum itself, you will find many threads (i remember 2 about tata & skoda each) where our forum mates have gone the legal way with these manufacturers & their case is just pending!

better try different tata A.S.S, some have mentioned that many tata A.S.S have been very customer friendly, so you can be lucky enough.

good luck.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 12:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

wow tata is definitely the most problematic brand in india.
compared to skoda, where the dealers are culprits for replacing parts with fake parts .
in tata- the factory is the culprits itself.
to me buying a tata is a 50/50 gamble(atleast higher end vehicles).
sad to hear about your story and obviously imcompetent tata service.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 12:42   #23
BHPian

IMHO, electrical problems especially related to the ECU / wiring harness can be a bit difficult to diagnose at times, more so if they are not able to read the DTC (which shows CAN communication failure). Although your experience on the night of the incident cannot be justified, the response from the higher level personnel seem to be very good, especially offering a backup car. Please take this up in a positive manner, be a bit patient and who knows, you may end up owning this car for a very long time without any further problems at all. Best wishes!

@vinaydas : calling the factory culprits seem a bit extreme as the part may very well be defective and it most certainly is not intentional on their part. It could happen with any manufacturer's vehicle, not just Tata.
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 13:19   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
IMHO, electrical problems especially related to the ECU / wiring harness can be a bit difficult to diagnose at times, more so if they are not able to read the DTC (which shows CAN communication failure). Although your experience on the night of the incident cannot be justified, the response from the higher level personnel seem to be very good, especially offering a backup car. Please take this up in a positive manner, be a bit patient and who knows, you may end up owning this car for a very long time without any further problems at all. Best wishes!

@vinaydas : calling the factory culprits seem a bit extreme as the part may very well be defective and it most certainly is not intentional on their part. It could happen with any manufacturer's vehicle, not just Tata.
Yes, it can happen with any manufacturer's vehicle, but it often happens with Tata. On the day of delivery, all the headlights went kaput due to an internal wiring short in case of our safari.
All this points to shoddy QC.
Regarding running in, even not following running in procedures cannot lead to an electrical fault.
In this case it appears that there is some wiring fault or short somewhere, and its extremely difficult to diagnose. A prudent thing to do will be to replace ECU and change all the ECU wiring.
After 2-3 days of hit and trial, expect the service center to do exactly the same thing.
Regarding customer care, send a mail to customercare@tatamotors.com and more often than not you get a response.
Another secret, in the first year of ownership, no matter where you are, they have to bring your vehicle to a service center at their cost.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 20:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
The situation here again points to eaither inadequate QC or a definite problem with the ECU harness. Let us wait and see what Delphi comes back with.

Did you take up on this offer?
No it was not necessary, since I have another car already

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Unfortunate event. Again reflects the poor QC at TML. Regarding the call Shrisa made to the Tollfree at 10pm, i feel that he is right to say that they werent helpful enough considering that he was stranded with family, and honestly, I would feel the same. However, on a comparitive note, If such an event would occur with any other brand of vehicle, car or suv, can better service be expected, especially at night...?

Some here suggest that the vehicle was not driven according to specified run in standards. I personally believe that a lot of fuss is made about this. Modern cars are not designed like the old Amby's anymore. No offence to old Amby owners here. I feel the manufacturer specifies run in periods just to prevent the owner from going overboard with enthusiasm. I dont think the Safari is designed to drive like a sedan anyways(my personal opinion). Its a brute that needs a whipping and is quite capable of taking it. Unfortunately, we read of too many lemons seem to be turning out of the TML stable nowadays. All those owning lemons, should take a cue from TSK and squeeze their lemons for all its worth.

Srisa, legal angles do sound brave, but you may spend many Christmas's waiting for a resolution. So if you deal patiently with some diplomatic restraint, then TML Customer care has delivered on most occasions. There is sufficient evidence of this on the forum, mine included. This could also be a one off issue. I had one too. Many Safari owners have had some kind of issue at the beginning of their ownership, which were sorted and never showed up again. I hope yours too is a one of thing.
Happy trucking.
Legal actions at this point of time is premature, that will be my last resort if the problem is recurring. And I would like to end this with a happy note with Tata, since I need to drive this car for some time and enjoy every moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Sad to hear about your issues. Things can certainly be rectified and like the others have said, there is no point in going to the court. Flatly, you will not gain anything from it.
On a better note, call me on: 9243466235 or send me a PM if you feel that Concorde Motors staff are not being as helpful as they should be. I know all of them in person and we can sort it out together.
Thank you, I shall use your contact when necessary, right now things are going in the right direction and I would like to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, it can happen with any manufacturer's vehicle, but it often happens with Tata. On the day of delivery, all the headlights went kaput due to an internal wiring short in case of our safari.
All this points to shoddy QC.
Regarding running in, even not following running in procedures cannot lead to an electrical fault.
In this case it appears that there is some wiring fault or short somewhere, and its extremely difficult to diagnose. A prudent thing to do will be to replace ECU and change all the ECU wiring.
After 2-3 days of hit and trial, expect the service center to do exactly the same thing.
Regarding customer care, send a mail to customercare@tatamotors.com and more often than not you get a response.
Another secret, in the first year of ownership, no matter where you are, they have to bring your vehicle to a service center at their cost.
I sent an email today to the above email ID and also CC their technical head with whom I have been communicating and the Concorde Service Manager. I have already received a call from their customer service desk and are going to be replying to my email tomorrow
srisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 21:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Agree with tsk here, ask them not to repair but change the ECU and wiring. What was Delphi's conclusion on this ??
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 22:33   #27
BHPian

Sorry got busy at work and could not update this thread. The issue with my Safari has been now rectified, and the car was delivered on Tuesday.

The parts changed were -

1. Pigtail for fuel temp sensor (FTS & IMV)
2. Wiring harness replaced
3.Resistor blower
4. Fuse
5. R/R complete fuel filter Assembly and wiring harness checked and rectified.

I was told that Delphi was not required and was checked by Tata Motor technicians and is now resolved.

There has been a change in Tata'a attitude towards customer complaints, after reading so many threads complaining about there customer service, I had no hopes at all, but after I sent an email I have been bombarded with calls every 4-5 hours either from Tata directly or from Concorde and are assuring me with the best service and appologizing for the issues. They have also confirmed reimbursement of the towing charges I paid.

So far, in the past two days I havent experienced any issues and I hope it is going to stay like this forever.

I am yet to post some pix and will do later.
srisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 11:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

very glad to hear this srisha. especially that you were bombarded with calls after making a complaint! glad to see tata customer care really improving.

i had made a call to mahindra's customer care regarding a petty issue (door squeaking noise) & they made a few calls & assured me that the complaint would be solved. my car went to the A.S.S & came back with the problem unsolved. mahindra did not bother to call back & ask the result, not that i was expecting a call from them!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote