Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th January 2010, 21:42   #1

Default Cedia Sports - First week

Formatting issues on the last one. Re-posting -
On buying a car,
Why?
After 7 years and over 70,000 kms of distinguished service it was time to retire my trusted, old friend – my Ikon NXT.

What I was looking for?
I was looking for a car which is
a) fun to drive, and
b) can take me to most places.

I had been waiting for the Skoda Yeti launch for over 6 months. Then I learnt from reliable sources that it would not come out before Aug 2010. I decided to stop waiting and take the plunge.

Test-drove the Safari, Scorpio, Innova (Diesel), Altis, Octavia, Laura (Petrol), City, Pajero (just for fun) before settling on the Cedia (last test drive).

I preferred the Scorpio among the S/MUVs for its city-driving ease. But ultimately the sluggish acceleration and the painful vibrations in the gear shift went against all 3.

I loved the Laura but the steep price, high maintenance costs and mediocre ground clearance stopped me from buying it. A Laura owner I know recently got spare keys made for his car at a mind-boggling cost of Rs 16k. I am happy I didn't buy this white elephant (No offence to those with deeper pockets!).

All Hondas were disqualified because of the ridiculous clearance.

Altis had good bit of everything but I didn't connect with it.

I test drove the Cedia more as a mark of respect for the Lancer (I had a crush on this car in 1996), than any actual desire of buying this car.

Boy, was I in for a surprise. Fell in love with the car in the first drive.

The pieces that matter - the gear shift, the steering, the pedals, the suspension and of course the engine.

How well does the gear shift?

Cedia's leather wrapped gear shift is heavenly. Its not exactly silk-smooth but it is very communicative (as shifts are meant to be). You get rich information from it. Every movement is very short and precise. Changing gears in a Cedia is a pleasure. Not that you need to change them very often. You can go pretty fast in 2nd gear and you can brake to almost a halt on one of the nasty Bangalore speed bumps and still get decent acceleration in the 3rd.

How about the steering?

The Momo steering is fabulous. The moment I held it in my grip for the first time, I knew this car was something special. The feeling hasn’t changed.

And the pedals?

The anti-skid pedals are easy to use. Pedals can be a source of annoyance in an otherwise well designed machine. These ones are not.

The suspension?

This was the deal-clincher for me. High clearance and firm suspension means this car can do more off-roading than any other sedan. It goes over nasty bumps and potholes with total ease.

Finally the engine,

Gear shift – heavenly, steering – fabulous, pedals – easy to use, suspension – perfect for Indian roads. But how does the car respond to the first 3?

Very well, indeed. As I said earlier, you can go pretty fast in a low gear and pretty slow in a high gear without troubling the car. The car responds beautifully to the steering wheel. Small, subtle touches are all that is needed. And the braking is super-safe. Very stable, very comforting. Acceleration – decent, could have done with 10% more power a la the Laura (but I would not pay an extra 4 lacs for this).

Other features –
Like the leather interiors, sporty exterior, top of the line ICE with built-in GPS (haven’t tested it yet) and powerful a/c are well covered in some other recent posts by Cedia owners.

Minor irritants –
- I connect the music system to my ipod touch via Bluetooth. It has to be reset every time the engine is shut. Takes about 15 seconds for the connection process.
- Built-in ipod connector not working (May be my own fault)

Overall, a great package. A good option for people like me who, sadly, spend most of their drive time in jam packed cities (and so need a fast, maneuverable car) while dreaming of exploring the remotest corners (hence the high clearance and stiff suspension).

I decided not to post any pics as many have already been put on other posts. But since I have not seen any of the new aqua-silver color, I will post some soon.

Last edited by ajmat : 6th January 2010 at 09:58. Reason: Removing tags and fonts.
genghis_on_road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 22:38   #2
BHPian

Welcome to the CEDIA club.
My car has never disappointed me in last 20 months.
Only thing I don't like is the big steering wheel on old CEDIA sports. I am sure you are enjoying the new momo steering.
Any plans for tyre upgrade?
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 01:50   #3
BHPian

Congrats for your New Car Mate..Cedia Surely is a great Car with good quality built..I bought it 3months ago and its simply superb.

Hey what is this aqua-silver color.Neva heard of that?Looking forward to your pics soon.
cedizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 04:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedizen View Post
Congrats for your New Car Mate..Cedia Surely is a great Car with good quality built..I bought it 3months ago and its simply superb.

Hey what is this aqua-silver color.Neva heard of that?Looking forward to your pics soon.
See genghis_on_road, first in Bangalore then Delhi/Bombay and now Hyderabad. Trust me you have the first Aqua Silver in the country. Congratulations again and pictures ASAP.

Last edited by khoj : 6th January 2010 at 04:38.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 11:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on owning one of the most under rated cars in the country. I'm sure you'll have miles and miles of smiles.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 12:09   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on your new possession !

I too bought a Cedia a couple of months ago and driving is indeed a pleasure now ! I love the confidence the car inspires when you are in the driving seat... very true to the master... every command obeyed without any wayward behaviour and still maintaining the luxury in a truly sound proof cabin !

I can already feel that this love can only grow with time the way other Cedia owners say !

All the best... and yes pics please...
kartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 12:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Very well written review mate!! Crisp & precise, it was a pleasure to read.

And yes pls.. Post the pics ASAP!
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 12:36   #8
BHPian

I love this. One more Cedia on the roads.
Congrats genghis on Road and with the cedia to drive your name is most accurate.
Drive fast drive safe and happy mile crunching.
nairanupg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 15:28   #9

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Without further ado, here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Cedia Sports - First week-picture-190.jpg  

Cedia Sports - First week-picture-191.jpg  

Cedia Sports - First week-picture-192.jpg  

Cedia Sports - First week-picture-193.jpg  

Cedia Sports - First week-picture-194.jpg  

Cedia Sports - First week-picture-195.jpg  

Old 6th January 2010, 15:43   #10
sab

Hi Genghis, congrats on your new buy!...have heard a lot of good reviews about Cedia Sports..am sure you will enjoy the drive..

Quote:
A good option for people like me who, sadly, spend most of their drive time in jam packed cities (and so need a fast, maneuverable car) while dreaming of exploring the remotest corners (hence the high clearance and stiff suspension)
can't agree more on this..

will look to a detailed review from you soon...
sab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 15:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Here is one car, which, with proper marketing can beat any Honda/Toyota/Skoda in India hands down. \
Congrats on the superb choice and buy. I have heard that dealers are giving some very good discounts with it. Did you get any?
And, it goes without saying, Some pictures )
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 16:09   #12
BHPian

Great color on a great car and great pics too ! So, Aqua silver... is this a new 2010 color ? are there any more new colors on Cedia sports ? Is it just new colors or have they added anymore features too to the already feature packed Cedia sports ?

Happy driving !
kartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 19:29   #13

@ sab - Thanks. Detailed review after the 1st long drive. soon...

@ n.devdath - Thanks. I got a 26k cash discount, 3M sun-film and a JBL 4 channel amplifier. I am sure I could have got more but my excitement after the test drive was too apparent to the dealer.

@ kartho - Thanks. This indeed a 2010 color. All other features are identical.
Old 6th January 2010, 20:48   #14
BHPian

@genghis_on_road: Congratulations on your new ride, great car . Good set of pictures there but its not complete without few snaps of the interiors. So pls some pictures of the interiors. Also could you pls share the price detials of the car.
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 01:05   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase. The color looks nice.

Is the Cedia engine BS IV compliant now?

Please post picutres of the interior.
Ram_NP is offline   Reply With Quote