Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th January 2010, 00:17   #1
Default 100 days-old black SPARK P.S

Jan 2nd 6:15 PM, Chennai: 5802 km on the ODO. Trip ODO - 2192KM. Avg-18kmpl. My black beauty celebrated his 100 days after a 9 day long trip from Xmas to New Years. Tyres and the car-sides got a good spray of the Karnataka slushy red-soil. The rear windows had finger markings on dust by god-knows-who. A kiss to the little one, thanking him and the almighty for the great sense of satisfaction of doing a long self-driven car-trip. With Pradeepa, Neha alongside all along and the company of Amma / Accha from Kanhangad it was a great trip.

The route:

Thanks to dreamdiesel for giving me confidence to take the Panathur-Bhagamandala route. I saw it on a paper map, could not find it on google, but dreamdiesel's report helped.

Happy that the new BEAT is out!! GM is doing good and I see 7 pages on team-bhp already about it. Gave the car for service #2 (free). Good job by KLN at Ekkatuthangal with follow-up calls and what not.

Three cheers to Spark/GM and our community of proud owners of the Spark. Have fun! Btw, I had 6K art-leather seat covers done at the Haute Car Zone on OMR, Chennai.

--- For the initial report here it is:

It all started in mid-Aug 2009.
Requirements: something different than the others, a budget of approx 400K for my first car, good for the city, should be manoeuvrable like my Splendor, should be bigger than a M800, Alto. My wife feels that I had an eye on a black Spark which I saw somewhere on the road once a year or so back. Maybe it was in my subconscious mind. Had a favoritism towards it right thru the search. We did not like the looks of any of the hatchbacks that we have today except for the M800, Alto, Spark. We liked the looks of some of the Sedans however we were not ready to drive the Sedan in a crowded city.
Surfing: We started our research on the net for the Spark and found soon that Team-BHP and NdtvAuto carwale were the sites to have loads of info about Indian cars. Thanks everybody! Threads such as A-Star vs Spark vs i10 and the ownership section were some which we followed keenly. Black had the added advantage of not having to go for body-colored bumpers and would mean we could go for the PS version with having to pay 20K lesser (atleast thats what we thought until we went for the test drives)
Test drives and dealers: KLN and Sundaram Motors. Found the drives very comfortable, one within the city and the other near to my house on a new non-traffic long straight stretch where I could test the speeds, brakes, swivels, etc. Loved it. The one which I would never forget of the test drive was the full turn around I could do just like my bike - with the Power steering. I had previously only driven my Dad's M800. At the Sundaram showroom my wife found a parked black PS, however the black of the bumper was way off in color from the black of the body and we decided to go for the LS version. However my wife found the seats to be a little hard during the test drives.

Aug 31: Last day of the Chevy deal (later they extended it till mid-Sept.) After a few calls to both the dealers finally settled for KLN - supporting the underdog and relatively new folks tilted it in their favor, and more so it was the first deal that the young salesman was doing.
ExShowRoom 3,49,252
Insurance 13,171
Registration & Life Tax 33,960
Discount 40K+4K+10K
Net 3,42,363
Accessories: Central locking, car cover, sun-film, mud-flaps, floormat.
Previously there were talks about 1gm free gold coin, 2K reduction in Insurance however then the sun-film were not talked off and finally an other salesperson said that no matter how you look at it, there is only a limit upto which they could give discounts or freebies. We were pretty happy with the deal. Paid up 25K as advance.
Sept 11: Paid the remaining amount after PDI.
Sept 22: Went for registration.
Sept 24: Delivery.
We went for a highway drive on the 26th weekend upto Kalpakkam on the famous ECR (70 km up and 70 km down from home.) It was great. Just like some others who own the Chevy I too experienced the sudden faster movement when releasing from full clutch and release of the brake - something one has to get used to.
Now for the ICE:
Oct 4: I quickly went thru the options on the sites in the morning. Drove at around 11 am to Kalyani Car Jewels - 15, North Usman Road, T.Nagar and finalised the following:
Tweeter - TS-S250 - 40mm 1-1/2" - 50/250W MAX. = 400 (Pio)/1400(if JBL)
6" x 9" - GT5-S396 - 70W RMS - 280W Peak. = 1790 (on box) / 1400
4" - GT5-S204 - 30/120W = 4490 (on box) / 3400
DEH-2190 UB - = 7990 (on box) / 5800
Rear tray = 600
Antenna = 250
Settings = 450
Set sockets = 300
steering cover (leather/stitch-type-thread&needle) = 550
Discount = -500
Net: 12,650
They did a good job. No mess. However we fixed an internal antenna later, as he said the external was not possible. We wanted to get the seat-covers done as well but they did not have enough choices.

Ah! Btw, the dealer called us up first week of Oct and asked if we had done 1K km by now (a bit too early for a 2 week old car, I thought!) and if so they were calling us for the first service.

Around the second week of Oct went thru the routine, GST to Vandalur and then to Kelambakkam and then to ECR to Mahabs and back.

On the Diwali weekend, odo touched 1400km after the 700 km Bangalore trip. First service!

Other trips were:
1 day - Chennai/Srikalahasti/Chandragiri-Fort/Chennai.
3 days - Chennai-Pondicherry-Chidambaram-Tranquebar-Nagapatinam-Velankanni-Thanjavur-Trichy-Chennai -> 800 KM.
1 day - Sholinghur
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 18:30   #2

Nice write up there jeevmenon. Nothing like the happiness and satisfaction you feel when you get exactly what you want and when its your first car . The Spark is a cute little car and black is a nice colour (my personal favourite).

By the way, you got the prices a little jumbled up...! (I'm sure it was just a typo)

Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
6" x 9" - GT5-S396 - 70W RMS - 280W Peak. = 1790 (on box) / 1400
4" - GT5-S204 - 30/120W = 4490 (on box) / 3400
Actual prices :
GT5-S396 = 3400
GT5-S204 = 1400

I have the exact same setup including the Pioneer DEH-2190 UB HU installed in my M800!

Cars may only be machines that come off a production line but I do believe each and every car has got a 'character' of its own and I'm sure you'll get to 'know' your car's character more and more during the forthcoming years of its ownership and maintenance.

Congratulations on the purchase of your first car and welcome to Team-BHP!

I wish you, your family and your car a long and happy life.

Have fun, drive safe.
satanic_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:18   #3
Default 600 days of my Sparky

Just an update today a year and 8 months after the Sparky came to our home we got its 7th service done. In an earlier service I had done a decarbonization. Today after 30,513 KM it needed a wheel-bearing change in one of the front tires. It took three days and I was a bit anxious. I had mentioned about the front tires giving me a periodic noise and they detected it as well.

Blade A-Wiper Driver side - 151.11
Blade A-Wiper Pass side - 124.44
Bearing - 1532.44
Brakefluid - 250 ML - 105.11
Spark Plug - 4 - 53.33

Paid Service - 525
Sublet Charges (Lathe work) - 100

Total = 2591

I just paid Rs. 110/- for a pick-up and drop facility of the Sparky.

I found an additional 16 km on the ODO and an equivalent petrol drain after the service. Checked with the KLN service guy and he said it was due to checks for the wheel bearing before/after/etc. Hm... I dunno. However I am not too worked up about it.
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote