Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th November 2010, 13:37   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post

For this check the owners manual because according to service guys we used to fill
elantra crdi - 5.3
Magnum - 5.9

To cross check use the dip stick and never cross the max line.

Paid rs.6200 for 6lts of shell helix 5w40 in shell bunk for my magnum.

For Elantra the oil change quantity with filter is 5.9 lts and not 5.3 lts
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 14:14   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
For Elantra the oil change quantity with filter is 5.9 lts and not 5.3 lts
Thats what the service guys used to tell. For us the safest method is to use dip stick.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 17:15   #243
BHPian

It just shows that one shouldn't trust incompetent service guys but the manual seems to be a better bet; raj sirji
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 20:11   #244
NKR
BHPian

"42K is expensive but, does it include brake pad replacements and synthetic oil changes?"

mobike008--First of all thanks , for the quick reply

I had a look at the terms and conditions this what the relevant portion says

Exclusions to the Chevrolet Promise

Repairs arising due to accident, external damage, natural calamities like earthquake, storm/hail storm, floods/ waterlogged roads and damage caused by chemicals/salts/stone chippings , scratches or any other external circumstances like external mechanical or chemical influences.
  1. Tyre and Battery replacement.
  2. Car Care/detailing products as mentioned below and similar to such categories.
    1. Exterior paint protection and polishing treatments.
    2. Interior fabric / leather cleaning and protection treatments.
    3. Plastic / Vinyl parts polishing / protection treatments.
    4. Antirust treatments of underbody and wheel arches.
    5. Caring wax treatment of various body parts & Engine Compartment.
    6. Radiator flush, engine flush and engine Decarbonising treatments.
    7. Additives used for Engine oil, transmission oil and fuel.
  3. Accessories installation including, installation of any spare parts got fitted on the vehicle to upgrade the specifications of the vehicle as originally sold to the first owner.
  4. Repairs arising due to improper or wrong maintenance as specified in the owners manual of the vehicle.
  5. Repairs arising due to modifications/alterations on vehicle not authorized by CSIPL, use of non genuine parts, accessories and fluids (Oils, coolant and brake fluid etc).
  6. Repairs not performed by CSIPL authorized service network.
  7. Repairs beyond 3 years / 45000 Kms (whichever occurs first from the first date of delivery) of new vehicle.
  8. If any scheduled maintenance and /or repair service Package is offered free of cost at any stage of the vehicle ownership, the value of the same will not be considered as part of total maintenance cost of the vehicle.
  9. If any Extended Optional Warranty package is purchased by the customer at any stage of the vehicle ownership, the cost of the same will not be considered as part of the total maintenance cost of the vehicle.
  10. If repairs/replacement of parts is done at the request of the customer, irrespective of the repair or replacement not being required without the performance of the vehicle being affected in the opinion of CSIPL / authorized dealers, the cost of such repairs/ replacements will not be considered as part of the total maintenance cost of the vehicle.
  11. Any incidental expenses, costs and/ or loss incurred by the customer for the purpose of maintenance/ repair on occasions of maintenance like cost of conveyance and such other related expenses shall not be considered as cost of maintenance as per Chevrolet Promise.
  12. CSIPL reserves the right to withdraw, suspend and/ or modify the Chevrolet Promise at any point of time at its sole discretion.
"Stock lights are quite decent. I never felt the need for an upgrade. But, better lights are always welcome. So go for it if you feel its in-adequate"

Thanks I shall stick to the stock ones and as you have suggested if the need arises will go for the HID

"I disagree. I have listened to the sound system in older version ( PDI) Laura and Cruze LTZ. I feel LTZ has better sounding system.If you feel the need to upgrade. Just add a good component system in front and it will make a whole world of difference"

I will again go with your advice,The TD car was in a bad shape anyway, but where should I install them, doors?

"(Parking Sensor) You can go for it but, get it done with Chevy folks ONLY"

Ok but can you suggest any model that would fit in the dash and it's approx cost

"Do not tamper with steering wheel. Get it installed as it is without removing the steering column.If you tamper with steering wheel and mess around with wiring whilst installing reverse sensor from outside. yes, it will result in warranty compromise."

OK again and as I get it get everything done by Chevy guys lest it lead to Warranty problems later.

Thanks
NKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 09:51   #245
Team-BHP Support

@NKR,

What the package does NOT include is fine. But, get a confirmation it INCLUDES the oil change and brake pad replacements. If yes, then its a good deal. If no, then dont opt for it as in first 3 years you wont spend that much money ( unless your unlucky)

I am not sure if dealership have component system, even if they have it will be Sony Explod or some such crap.

For Comp installation you will have to take risk of installing it outside but, be very careful not to play around with main wiring.

Get them fixed in front door and choose from JBL, Infinity or Polk ( which ever suits your taste) and if i am not wrong 6" should be alright. However, double check the stock size of speakers on door and get the same size so you dont need to cut through the door pads

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th November 2010 at 09:53.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 19:40   #246
NKR
BHPian

@mobike 008

Thanks shall get in touch with the After sales guys and check with them.

In case of speakers. I think I shall use the stock ones (fear of warranty loss) and if iam grossly dissatisfied then would go for a better 6 inchers.

Thanks
Old 20th November 2010, 15:49   #247
BHPian

[quote=harpreetkanwar;2142412]Well I don't really know who to blame .. myself or the brake assembly,
but in only 16,000 kms, I went in for my third servicing and came to know that the brake pads need to be changed since they are fully worn out.

The same cost a whooping Rs. 13000 for both the front and rear in total and I can't seem to figure out who to blame. I do drive fast; I mean,come on, the car's built that way!

As you must have read my post earlier, I replaced at 21000kms at the same cost of Rs.13000/-. I think 20000kms is the right time to replace. Maybe the service guy was over cautious.

Anyways, one more thing to be noted is that the AC keeps getting ineffective in terms of blowing power, probably because the cabin filter clogs in a lot of dust since I drive in Gurgaon which is a very dusty area, like a dessert.
I got it cleaned out at the first and second servicing too.

Even in my Cruze the blow has reduced. Need to get the filter cleaned in the next service which is almost due at 30000kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Considering that brake pads for automatic cars wear out early, should I actually look for them wearing out even as early as 15000km??

A screeching noise comes when the car is moving slowly. If it comes then brake pads worn out sign. Dont change based on mileage.

I was advised at the 5000km service that they will change the oil at 10000kms and then at every10000kms.
Stick to 15000kms oil change intervals. The service guy is trying to con you. Show him the manual.

[quote=NKR;2144426]Hi, Though others have said this a number of times, let me also say what a great thread. Hats off especially to Sameer for his extensive driving and the voluminous info that he has given. After a bit of research mostly guided by the bhpians and a couple of test drives I have decided to go in for the LTZ.

Glad you liked my review. Congrats on your new Cruze.

Some queries

1. What would be total cost of ownership considering an average 10-15K driving per year. The reason for this question is the Cashless Ownership Offer by Chevrolet India. The three year cashless ownership of cruze is being offered for 42K should I go for it.

See if you drive extensively like me then you can opt for Cashless Ownership. That is if you cover 25000-30000kms in a year. For 10000kms a year dont think Rs.42000/- is worth as only once a year you will change oil for your running. If you still go for the Cashless Ownership read the fine print as there might be some catch. After market fittings would void the cashless ownership as well as warranty. In my case I upgraded the stock tires and alloys and was informed by the dealer that warranty for the parts related to the tires like shock absorbers and suspension would be void as I have upsized the tires and alloys. You should also check how the standard warranty and Cashless Ownership would supplement each other.

2. How are the lights? should I fit the car with HID , or are the stock options good enough.

Stock lights good enough. I second Mobike's view.

3. The test drive cars that i drove, had music systems that I felt to be not that great ( The Laura 2009 that we have in the stable sounded better)Is there any option for upgrade(Comments/suggestions please)

Again the stock Music System is one of the best if not the best factory fitted ones.

4. The reverse sensors do not have visual indication, Should I fit a sensor with visual indicators.

Your wish. I m fine with the sound indication.

5. I am not very happy with the gray steering grip and want to change it to a black leather one, One accessory dealer said that you have to remove the entire steering column to change the steering grip. Is it true and is it advisable

No idea.

6. In case I do modifications to the items mentioned will it result in warranty compromise.

I have answered this question above. YES.

[quote=NKR;2145185]"42K is expensive but, does it include brake pad replacements and synthetic oil changes?"

It should cover. Cashless Ownership is like an AMC package.

Exclusions to the Chevrolet Promise
[*]Tyre and Battery replacement.

Battery is covered under the warranty for the 1st year. I got it replaced free of cost.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 20:55   #248
NKR
BHPian

@ Sameer Sultan

Thanks for answering all the queries...and for the congratulations,, however the Cruze is yet to come. Plan to take delivery by the end of Dec.

I shall go with your advice(as well as mobike's) ,that is, stick to stock fittings. Since I shall not be driving extensively I would not opt for the Cashless offer.Driving is what you do,compared to you, as some one has remarked earlier our cars are sitting in the garages.

By the way that is a lot of Brake pads in a short while.
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:00   #249
BHPian

Thanks Sameer for clarifying it.
Keep on Cruzing and updating your wonderful thread
np23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:59   #250
BHPian

Default another problem !

oh is it so ? diesel cars break pads do require a change more often ! why is that so ? The weight of the car's more ? I cant think of any other reason !
anyhow, here's a brief summary of the Rs. 21000 3rd Service I got done at Dynamic Motors, Chandigarh:

Changing Motor Oil (including engine flush and all)
Changed break pads
Did not change the broken sun glasses holder (spring broke) cost Rs. 400 by the way
Interior dry cleaning (always go for this as it makes the leather soft as hell and maintains it)

did not change touch the air filter since I have a K&N. And yes its really awesome on this car - RPM range explodes like anything !!

Now one major gripe about the car I face is that it is creating a heavy sound while idle or accelerating at 2nd or 3rd gear, upto 40KM/HR on the speedo. Is this normal at 16500 Kms?

While collecting the car from the service station, the guy noticed that Motor oil had not been charged from the stores and so the bill was around 16,000 at first, then he added all of those things including the flush, engine down and it came to 21000. I have a slight very bad feeling that the motor oil was not replaced at all. Could this be true ? How do I check for it myself ? Probably thinkin of drivin down to a service station in Gurgaon here and getting it checked. But you know how Indian business/service centres are, they would definitely find faults un-necessarily in the other centre to get more business !

Last edited by v12 : 22nd November 2010 at 22:37.
harpreetkanwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:44   #251
NKR
BHPian

Default Brake Pads

@harpreetkanwar and @Sameer Sultan

So would this mean that all CRUZE would go in for a brake pad replacement at around 15,000 Km. May be the because of the higher friction caused by the cars power. If that be so, do all cars of 150 bhp + go in for brake pad replacements so often.

By the way,Harpreet how long did you take to clock 16.5 K km

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd November 2010 at 11:49. Reason: deleted wrong quote brackets
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:15   #252
Team-BHP Support

@Harpreet, 21K for 3rd service seems like an exorbitant price to pay

Can you please scan the bill copy or provide a break-up of the total cost incurred so that we are mentally prepared for this damage at that odo mileage?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:29   #253
BHPian

harpreetkanwar and Sameer Sultan

I think it all depends on your driving style. I had to change my earlier Q7 pads at 12000 Kms. Accelerate to 180 and then brake hard for the ACE Van with 20 people on board and refusing to give a side and oblivious to flashes and horns. However flow with the traffic and pads should be fine.

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd November 2010 at 12:03. Reason: Removed quote brackets which werent correct
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:39   #254
BHPian

I bought the car in January 2010 .. Acually jan end ... so it took me like what 10 months ....

[quote=NKR;2149087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post
and @Sameer Sultan

So would this mean that all CRUZE would go in for a brake pad replacement at around 15,000 Km. May be the because of the higher friction caused by the cars power. If that be so, do all cars of 150 bhp + go in for brake pad replacements so often.

Right said fred .....

[quote=entropy;2149124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post

I think it all depends on your driving style. I had to change my earlier Q7 pads at 12000 Kms. Accelerate to 180 and then brake hard for the ACE Van with 20 people on board and refusing to give a side and oblivious to flashes and horns. However flow with the traffic and pads should be fine.
I will be sure to do that tomorrow ... See if your break pads go -- which they would ... atleast by 20k kilomoters ... expect to pay 20-23K easily ...

There aren't anythings extra in the things I got done -- all are part of a regular service except the cleaning (dry cleaning) for upholestry - Rs. 1800 ... So still RS. 18K is HUGE HUGE HUGE ...

We no longer drive Marutis

Can't wait for the next upgrade .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Harpreet, 21K for 3rd service seems like an exorbitant price to pay

Can you please scan the bill copy or provide a break-up of the total cost incurred so that we are mentally prepared for this damage at that odo mileage?
Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd November 2010 at 01:43. Reason: Please read the note in your post very carefully before proceeding further. Thanks
harpreetkanwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:58   #255
BHPian

Quote:
oh is it so ? diesel cars break pads do require a change more often ! why is that so ? The weight of the car's more ? I cant think of any other reason !
anyhow, here's a brief summary of the Rs. 21000 3rd Service I got done at Dynamic Motors, Chandigarh:

Changing Motor Oil (including engine flush and all)
Changed break pads
Did not change the broken sun glasses holder (spring broke) cost Rs. 400 by the way
Interior dry cleaning (always go for this as it makes the leather soft as hell and maintains it)

did not change touch the air filter since I have a K&N. And yes its really awesome on this car - RPM range explodes like anything !!

Now one major gripe about the car I face is that it is creating a heavy sound while idle or accelerating at 2nd or 3rd gear, upto 40KM/HR on the speedo. Is this normal at 16500 Kms?

While collecting the car from the service station, the guy noticed that Motor oil had not been charged from the stores and so the bill was around 16,000 at first, then he added all of those things including the flush, engine down and it came to 21000. I have a slight very bad feeling that the motor oil was not replaced at all. Could this be true ? How do I check for it myself ? Probably thinkin of drivin down to a service station in Gurgaon here and getting it checked. But you know how Indian business/service centres are, they would definitely find faults un-necessarily in the other centre to get more business !
@Mobike I think as Harpreetkanwar changed Brake Pads assuming front and back cost Rs. 13,000/- Engine oil approx. Rs. 5,500/-, at the same time the bill has come up to so much. Hence the amount he paid is justified.

@Harpreetkanwar I feel you changed the brake pads around 6000kms too early. Have you driven your Cruze extensively on the highway with high speed braking?

I did 85% highway driving and brake pads lasted for 23000KMS.

[quote=NKR;2149087]
Quote:
and @Sameer Sultan

Your question is answered by entropy below where he changed Q7 brake pads after 12000KMS. Now Q7 is not in the category of Cruze but the point here I am trying to make is Indian Highway driving conditions are not suited for High Speed engines as repeated braking is needed when one is driving fast and this results in the brake pads wearing out quickly.

When It can happen in an expensive vehicle like Q7 which should come with high quality german brake pads, we lesser mortals(Cruze owners) should not be complaining!!.

[quote=entropy;2149124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post

I agree with what you have said. (I dont want to ask how much the Q7 brake pads cost)
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote