Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th February 2012, 11:52   #346
BHPian

[quote="ghostrider"]

Wow. This is something that I need to be be prepared for, then.
It's odd, because my Swift-diesel had done 48,000km as of last week when I sold her and the brake pads were never changed. I'm not a lunatic on the roads but I'm not sedate either... but perhaps what prolonged the life of my pads was the fact that when the situation allowed I always downshifted and used the engine braking as much as possible.

You cannot compare the Swift and Cruze brake pads as dynamics of both the cars are poles apart. I have known some Honda City owners who have never replaced brake pads in the entire period of ownership clocking 90K on the odo.

As mentioned earlier Cruze being a high speed car the pads are not suitably provided to last long. Even in Skoda Octavia I had to replace in every 25K kms.

Apart from this there is no other recurring expense as such. Happy Cruzing!
sameer sultan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 11:54   #347
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Cruze being a high speed car which requires frequent braking at high speeds resulting in the wearing out off brake pads. The brake pads of the Cruze last for only 20K if there is extensive highway driving. This is a general issue with all the Cruze owners. Nothing to do with your driving style.
Is this thing with all Cruze owners? My cousin has an Optra Magnum which has done nearly 70k on the odo with 80-20 highway / city drives. He hasn't reported any such issues yet. My old faithful Corolla too hasn't faced any such issues in over 6 years of ownership.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:07   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra

Is this thing with all Cruze owners? My cousin has an Optra Magnum which has done nearly 70k on the odo with 80-20 highway / city drives. He hasn't reported any such issues yet. My old faithful Corolla too hasn't faced any such issues in over 6 years of ownership.
All Cruze owners who have done a minimum of 20K on the Odo with highway and city driving have reported the brake pad replacement issue. I guess this is Cruze specific issue as this does not happen in City Corolla and many other cars.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:38   #349
BHPian

Quote:
All Cruze owners who have done a minimum of 20K on the Odo with highway and city driving have reported the brake pad replacement issue. I guess this is Cruze specific issue as this does not happen in City Corolla and many other cars.
Just guessing here. This may be because of Cruze's weight. It does weigh in quite a bit more than other cars. 1.5 tons combined with the kind of speeds it can do probably results in the above stated issue.
rangakishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:04   #350
BHPian

How are you guys maintaining the body in spite of driving extensively in the city? I've had a few mishaps with my Cruze, I even wrote a post about it (here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...omplaints.html (Chevrolet Cruze LTZ -- Body repair issues/complaints)). I'm disappointed with the shoddy job of the body shop. The car is due for servicing (just about to drive over after this post ).

Are GM body shops in other cities good?
darthvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:28   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Comparing the Cruze wear and tear rates to Corollas and Citys is not fair since they are petrol cars, driven sedately, generally speaking and are of a different segment.
I d rather compare it to the Laura, the Jetta and to a lesser extent, the Optra Magnum as well.

Do you have any feedback from the ASC if Magnums too need brake pads changes this early?

All said and done, 20 k kms is a bit early for brake pad changes, on any road car IMO.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:36   #352
Team-BHP Support

Nice to see the last few posts discussion revolving around Cruze's brake pads. This seems to be a hot topic amongst Cruze owners. Even I was apprehensive of my cars brake pads fading out as early as Sameer's but, I think i am one of the few lucky Cruze owners not to fall in same category.

Have just returned from a 1600kms trip to goa couple of days back and my current odometer reading is 25,000kms.

I am happy to report the brakes still perform amazingly well and there is not even a single symptom of the brake bads being on its last legs.

I expect my current (1st) set of brake pads to last for another 5000kms atleast

Hopefully, thats what my service guys will tell me when I hand over the car to them for 25K kms service on March 1st.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 14:19   #353
anb
BHPian

The price of front brake pads is Rs.6451/- and rear brake pads is Rs. 7870/-. For my Cruze, running cost/ Kilometer for the brakes alone is 0.75 (Rs/kilometre)
anb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 08:33   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Front brake pads are replaced for the second time, at 35K service. Now expecting rear brake pads replacement around 40-45K service. is this a general issue for cruze or is it b'cose of my driving style?
it is a general issue . cruze break pads do wear off fast , i guess the average is 19000 km that it lasts
brijesh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:49   #355
BHPian

When I had a chat with a GM official while researching about this car just before booking it, I was told that driving in city conditions in the kind of traffic most of our cities have will cause intense wear and tear of the clutch, which may have to be replaced sooner than one might imagine for a new car. He also added that most people who switch from petrol to diesel cars have this problem because they are tend to press the clutch partially, whereas for proper operation one must press it all the way through.

Doing so however takes some getting used to as I've been told by other Cruze owners. I personally didn't have a problem with the back-action of the clutch, but I know a few people who chose the Laura for precisely this reason
Old 24th March 2012, 23:43   #356
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Total cost of service including Engine Oil replacement and Hose replacement came up to Rs. 12,038/-.
Diesel Hose Rs. 3500/-
It beats me still how this could have happened? The service engineer was not able to offer any convincing answer.
Would like to have inputs from fellow BHPians if such an issue can happen in cars such as Cruze. This hose pipe leak problem I use to hear when I was a Kid when we were using Ambi's.
It's surprising that you were charged for fuel hose. Pre 2011 model cruze came with defective fuel hose and this part was replaced for free later. Has your car crossed 50,000 Km mark? are you still running on 225/50 17 maxxis tyres? how are these tyres?
Old 24th March 2012, 23:55   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb
It's surprising that you were charged for fuel hose. Pre 2011 model cruze came with defective fuel hose and this part was replaced for free later. Has your car crossed 50,000 Km mark? are you still running on 225/50 17 maxxis tyres? how are these tyres?
After a month of getting the Fuel Hose replaced I received a call from the dealership that they are replacing the Fuel Hose free of cost for Cruze bought in 2009/2010 as you have mentioned. I did not take up the issue with them as I was busy.

Just crossed 50000 kms and have booked for service next Tuesday. I would try my luck by asking for a refund for the Fuel Hose which was replaced on payment basis!!

Yes my Cruze is still running on 225/50 R17 Maxxis tires. I am pretty happy with their performance and have clocked almost 25000 kms without a single puncture.
sameer sultan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 15:19   #358
BHPian

Got my Cruze back today after the 50000km service. The people at Sundaram motors have replaced the Fuel Pipe Assembly under warranty. I had told them that I had replaced the same in the last service as the fuel pipe had gone bust. They had also charged for it.

In November I had got a call from Sundaram that they are doing a campaign for Cruze where they will replace the fuel pipe under warranty as they had found to be defective in 2009/2010 models.

But I did not send the car then. When I left for the 50000km service I had told them about the earlier replacement and I wanted a refund but though they have replaced the fuel pipe again saying that the campaign started in November and as I had got it replaced in October they will not refund. My bad!
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 21:03   #359
BHPian

A little off topic but what are the materials used in the interior of the Cruze (apart from the upholstery, which I know is leather). I am getting seat covers for the upcoming summer, but I realized I have only vacuum cleaned the car twice since I got it. I was wondering if I should get some vinyl/leather/plastic protectants/cleaners from Car Interior Care. But I don't want to buy something inappropriate, so I would appreciate suggestions/advice about this.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:06   #360
anb
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted a refund but though they have replaced the fuel pipe again saying that the campaign started in November and as I had got it replaced in October they will not refund. My bad!
Send a complaint to gmi.cac@gm.com