Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th January 2010, 12:10   #46

congrats mubeen on ur i20 . drive safely hav fun .
haseebkhader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 18:04   #47

Going off topic - A few days back while driving down from Chennai to Ranipet i saw a Hyundai i20 badged "Era"

For those unfamiliar with the topography, Sriperembudur is where Hyundai has their manufacturing facility which is 60 km from chennai and about 45 - 50 km from Ranipet.

Did not have the time to stop and take pics though. The car had red number plates and was not camouflaged or covered up in any manner what so ever. Looks like Hyundai coming up with a new stripped down variant in response to Suzuki's attempt at the same.
Mubeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 15:39   #48

Hi Mubeen,

Can you tell me how much it costs you to fit xenos fortegate security system? Which model you chose it? And why didn't you choose the FW 250 models ? Sorry for multiple questions as I need to install one for my fiesta and I do prefer Xenos only
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 05:13   #49
Default Re: Hyundai i20 Magna - Initial ownership review and 4000 Km update

Originally Posted by Mubeen View Post
Why a new car

After 5 years and 52000 Km's of driving around in a TATA indigo diesel and that too the first generation diesel, the deplorable after sales service, the frequent and repeated starting trouble (changed the battery, the glow plugs and rewound the starter motor and yet starting trouble persisted) it was finally time to bid adieu to the old set of wheels.

Choosing the new car

The first filter while choosing the new car was my budget. With a budget of 5.5 lakhs, this amount being inclusive of value got from sale of the indigo (The indigo went for 1.72 lakhs - .22 lakhs more than what I had expected :-) )

Based on the budget I chose 3 cars which I had my eye on for a while.

The first was the swift. Since its launch this has been one car I have loved to drive and longed to own. Three factors were the reason for my decision against buying this car. The first was the cramped rear, the second was the engine change that has been due coming for a while now (Due coming but not come yet. Cant wait forever Suzuki!!) and the third was the dated styling and design.

The second choice was the punto. Everything about the punto was fine. It was the perfect package EXCEPT for fiats tie up with tata for after sales service. After owning the indigo for 5 years and having a first hand experience with the after sales service it certainly would have been very brave or very foolish of me to head back down that road. I was neither!

The third and final choice on my list was the Hyundai i20. At this point of time I would like to mention that although there are several other cars that come within the mentioned budget I have only mentioned the last three serious contenders based on MY opinions and prejudices.

The i20 was one car that seemed to have it all. Aggressive styling, new engine, value for money and a fairly capable after sales service. Looking to keep things simple from here on it was completed and undivided focus on the i20.

Test drive and Booking

Surprisingly the first test drive of this car was not a showroom TD car but a relatives spanking new i20 in June 09, and boy did i love it. However booking the car was still sometime away. Come 25th September and dad put his foot down and we had this little conversation:

Dad : Son, book car immediately

Me : Dad, i wanna wait a few more months. New cars are going to be launched. I want to check those out too

Dad : New cars are going to be launched forever. Quit stalling and book car now. You are going to lose out on 100% depreciation if you delay any more and u cant push start the indigo every morning ( Cant argue with either of the two )

Me : Ok dad, but the car i want has a 40 day waiting period

Dad : Which car? Model? Variant? How much on road? What offers/ discounts?

Me : Hyundai i20 Magna 5.3 no offers and discount (U can say i was pretty well prepared for this day)

A few quick calls by dad to his contact at HMP and next thing i know i'm test driving an i20 and checking out a ready to deliver magna is dark grey. Test drive and PDI over, wifey ok's the color and advance paid. HMP's contact bought my indigo as well with spot payment.

Next day Sep 26 Saturday got draft from bank and dropped it off at the showroom with all necessary documents. Tuesday Sep 29th i take delivery of my brand now car. Talk about transact at speed! ( I guess I have the team bhp record for fastest booking to delivery time for the i20 )
Booked on 1st Oct and took the delivery on 2nd Oct, I guess thats fastest by now unless someone paid all cash same day and took the delivery.
garry.brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 21:23   #50
Default Re: Hyundai i20 Magna - Initial ownership review and 4000 Km update

Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
Booked on 1st Oct and took the delivery on 2nd Oct, I guess thats fastest by now unless someone paid all cash same day and took the delivery.
That IS a fast deal. Congrats on your new arrival. Given the competition at this present juncture, I won't be surprised if car agencies offer an even faster deal in the near future -- Take car now, pay later (cash on delivery scheme).

By the way, I would be interested in reading your ownership report on the i20. So, punch in your keyboard fast.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote