Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st January 2010, 17:57   #1
BHPian

Default Hyundai i20 Magna - Initial ownership review and 4000 Km update

Why a new car

After 5 years and 52000 Km's of driving around in a TATA indigo diesel and that too the first generation diesel, the deplorable after sales service, the frequent and repeated starting trouble (changed the battery, the glow plugs and rewound the starter motor and yet starting trouble persisted) it was finally time to bid adieu to the old set of wheels.

Choosing the new car

The first filter while choosing the new car was my budget. With a budget of 5.5 lakhs, this amount being inclusive of value got from sale of the indigo (The indigo went for 1.72 lakhs - .22 lakhs more than what I had expected :-) )

Based on the budget I chose 3 cars which I had my eye on for a while.

The first was the swift. Since its launch this has been one car I have loved to drive and longed to own. Three factors were the reason for my decision against buying this car. The first was the cramped rear, the second was the engine change that has been due coming for a while now (Due coming but not come yet. Cant wait forever Suzuki!!) and the third was the dated styling and design.

The second choice was the punto. Everything about the punto was fine. It was the perfect package EXCEPT for fiats tie up with tata for after sales service. After owning the indigo for 5 years and having a first hand experience with the after sales service it certainly would have been very brave or very foolish of me to head back down that road. I was neither!

The third and final choice on my list was the Hyundai i20. At this point of time I would like to mention that although there are several other cars that come within the mentioned budget I have only mentioned the last three serious contenders based on MY opinions and prejudices.

The i20 was one car that seemed to have it all. Aggressive styling, new engine, value for money and a fairly capable after sales service. Looking to keep things simple from here on it was completed and undivided focus on the i20.

Test drive and Booking

Surprisingly the first test drive of this car was not a showroom TD car but a relatives spanking new i20 in June 09, and boy did i love it. However booking the car was still sometime away. Come 25th September and dad put his foot down and we had this little conversation:

Dad : Son, book car immediately

Me : Dad, i wanna wait a few more months. New cars are going to be launched. I want to check those out too

Dad : New cars are going to be launched forever. Quit stalling and book car now. You are going to lose out on 100% depreciation if you delay any more and u cant push start the indigo every morning ( Cant argue with either of the two )

Me : Ok dad, but the car i want has a 40 day waiting period

Dad : Which car? Model? Variant? How much on road? What offers/ discounts?

Me : Hyundai i20 Magna 5.3 no offers and discount (U can say i was pretty well prepared for this day)

A few quick calls by dad to his contact at HMP and next thing i know i'm test driving an i20 and checking out a ready to deliver magna is dark grey. Test drive and PDI over, wifey ok's the color and advance paid. HMP's contact bought my indigo as well with spot payment.

Next day Sep 26 Saturday got draft from bank and dropped it off at the showroom with all necessary documents. Tuesday Sep 29th i take delivery of my brand now car. Talk about transact at speed! ( I guess I have the team bhp record for fastest booking to delivery time for the i20 )
Mubeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 18:54   #2
BHPian

Hey Mubeen this ownership report was due long back, but when it came it's written very nicely and I like the bit about the conversation between dad and son.

i20 is indeed a good car. It's my car of the year 2009 in it's segment. Happy and safe motoring :-). And yeah the booking and delivery time is the fastest you have the points in this, when compared with other brands having insane waiting periods.

Looking forward to more details about your ownership along with pictures.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 18:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Hey Mubeen this ownership report was due long back, but when it came it's written very nicely and I like the bit about the conversation between dad and son.

i20 is indeed a good car. It's my car of the year 2009 in it's segment. Happy and safe motoring :-). And yeah the booking and delivery time is the fastest you have the points in this, when compared with other brands having insane waiting periods.

Looking forward to more details about your ownership along with pictures.

Yeah Sameer, The review has taken some time coming. The i20 sure is a nice looker.

Detailed ownership report coming up
Old 21st January 2010, 19:15   #4
BHPian

Initial driving experience

To start off with the i20 was sheer pleasure to drive.

I found the steering to be super light - this was very much to my liking. There have been a few owners who have said that they find the steering to be lifeless and unresponsive, but i'm just loving it (Or rather was just loving it. More on that later)

The second thing that I really liked about this car was the quick pickup!!! I know there are going to be a lot of readers falling off their chairs cracking up reading this, but guys, remember i'm coming from the indigo here!

Also having a car that starts up with the first turn of the key is a real bonus.

Well jokes aside, the i20 has a really nice and smooth gear shift. The clutch is really soft and smooth and the car is nice and insulated from the traffic noise and its own engine noise. A real quiet cabin if i could say so!

Although I do miss the extra's that come with the Asta, there was a budget that I had to adhere to. The one extra that I really miss out on is the electric adjust and retract side view mirrors. I use all 3 mirrors while driving and just hate it when the side view mirrors are "re-aligned" by passing two-wheelers and pedestrians. Nothing gets my goat more!!!

If anybody knows how/ who and where this can be retrofitted in Chennai it would be a big help

The initial mileage that i had got up until the first service was 11.9 km/ltr.
Old 21st January 2010, 19:32   #5
BHPian

Hi Mubeen,

Looking at the initial ownership report, it is good to know that you are
happy with your selection of chosing i20 magna over the other 2 contenders. Please do post some pics of your beautiful hatch.

This Ownership report has come at the right time for me as i am in dilemma of chosing my first hatch. I have shortlisted Ritz Zxi and i20 magna based on my budget which is 5 lakhs Ex-showroom price.

- I do not have a budget to spend another lac on i20 Asta over the Magna or Ritz ZXi. Hence, need to be happy with whatever comes within the available budget as i don't want to burden myself.

- I don't want to spend above 6 lacs for a hatch as this is going to be my first car.

- I need a VFM product with moderate features, good performance, responsive engine, good interiors, good cabin space (front & rear) with good seats that can accomodate 5 people comfortably, ABS + Airbag (optional), Effective AC, moderate boot space, good FE, ground clearance, quiet engine with sufficient power to pick up 5 on board, VFM & low maintenance cost.

- I have left out Punto as the rear space is not roomy for 3 and it is very heavy to drive within city.

Some research of mine in TbhP says that the ground clearance in i20 is not good when compared to Ritz when fully loaded.

This has been one of the difficult times for me as i am in a dilemma of whether to go for Ritz (VFM hatch) or i20 magna (muscular design, looks, spacious interiors and a solid build). I know that you can't get everything in a budget of less than 5 lakhs (ex-showroom) but not sure which one to compromise. Need ur suggestion badly on this. (fully loaded mid size hatch or an entry level premium hatch)

Can anyone help me out?

Regards,

Vish

Last edited by vishwask82 : 21st January 2010 at 19:41.
vishwask82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 19:39   #6
BHPian

The first service - of many to come!!

Round about the 1000 km mark the bad news starts

In what would be called the saga of the steering column I give you the details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...oblem-i20.html (Rattling problem on the i20)

The summary of the saga is this

1. Mubeen drives 1000 km in new i20 all is hunky dory

2. At odo reading 1001 or thereabouts steering column starts rattling on uneven roads. First the noise being barely noticeable and gradually reached a crescendo as the km's keep going up

3. Mubeen takes car to service centre. Car is test driven by executive who says problem will be rectified in first service.

4. Car goes for first service 10 days later. Car returned after service, rattling persists.

5. Mubeen gives back car to service station. Couple more service executives test drive car, yet unable to identify location of rattle!!

6. Car given back to Mubeen. Mubeen asked to bring back car the following week to give service executives time to huddle together and identify cause and solution

7. Mubeen takes car back to service station the following week. Car ready after 2 days. Mubeen test drives car. Rattling gone!!! Steering is super tight and front right breaks squeal - Nice going guys. Just what the doc ordered.... More High BP

8. Mubeen takes car back one more time to service station. Steering made little lighter and squeals taken care of.

9. Mubeen not entirely happy. Wants lighter steering wheel!! (Talk about being spoilt) Goes back to service station. Service head allows 3 other random non TD cars to test drive. All 3 seem to have similar steering tightness!!

10. Mubeen concedes and heads back home. Fixes leather steering cover and finds steering lighter immediately.
Old 21st January 2010, 20:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwask82 View Post
Hi Mubeen,

Looking at the initial ownership report, it is good to know that you are
happy with your selection of chosing i20 magna over the other 2 contenders. Please do post some pics of your beautiful hatch.

This Ownership report has come at the right time for me as i am in dilemma of chosing my first hatch. I have shortlisted Ritz Zxi and i20 magna based on my budget which is 5 lakhs Ex-showroom price.

- I do not have a budget to spend another lac on i20 Asta over the Magna or Ritz ZXi. Hence, need to be happy with whatever comes within the available budget as i don't want to burden myself.

- I don't want to spend above 6 lacs for a hatch as this is going to be my first car.

- I need a VFM product with moderate features, good performance, responsive engine, good interiors, good cabin space (front & rear) with good seats that can accomodate 5 people comfortably, ABS + Airbag (optional), Effective AC, moderate boot space, good FE, ground clearance, quiet engine with sufficient power to pick up 5 on board, VFM & low maintenance cost.

- I have left out Punto as the rear space is not roomy for 3 and it is very heavy to drive within city.

Some research of mine in TbhP says that the ground clearance in i20 is not good when compared to Ritz when fully loaded.

This has been one of the difficult times for me as i am in a dilemma of whether to go for Ritz (VFM hatch) or i20 magna (muscular design, looks, spacious interiors and a solid build). I know that you can't get everything in a budget of less than 5 lakhs (ex-showroom) but not sure which one to compromise. Need ur suggestion badly on this. (fully loaded mid size hatch or an entry level premium hatch)

Can anyone help me out?

Regards,

Vish
Hey Vish,

Donno too much about the ritz, except that its a big minus in the looks department.

As for the i20 here goes

The i20 has seriously spacious interiors. Coming from the indigo the i20 does not feel cramped for space one bit.

After completing my first service my mileage has gone up from 11.9 to 12.8 and this is regular fuel i'm using, not the power variety. Of course i fill up only at the HP company owned outlet. That must help i'm sure as far as quantity and quality goes.

Sadly the magna does not come with ABS, climate control and airbags. You will have to exceed your budget if you are looking for those.

With regard to the ground clearance I do drive everyday on some not so nice bits of road. My factory is just off NH 4 and the just off NH4 road is no great shakes. That said, i have never scraped the bottom of the car on the uneven road even with 4 occupants. I have also driven the car over speed breakers. The speed breakers I have driven over have been pretty sanely constructed and hence no trouble on that front either.

Hope you are able to make your choice and are happy with your pick, whichever it may be.
Old 21st January 2010, 20:18   #8
BHPian

Beautifully Written review.
I too had shortlisted the i 20 Magna but had to go in for a used palio after some financial setbacks.

Still i did the research and found it the most VFM if u also consider the image factor.Even more VFM than the Ritz IMO.
Joe-Ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 20:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
Beautifully Written review.
I too had shortlisted the i 20 Magna but had to go in for a used palio after some financial setbacks.

Still i did the research and found it the most VFM if u also consider the image factor.Even more VFM than the Ritz IMO.
Thanks Joe. Glad you liked the review. There's more to come so dont forget to bookmark this page!

Too bad about your having to drop the i20 plans though.

Yep the i20 certainly has the image. The extremely professional after sales service and low running costs are a big plus as well. I did forget to mention in my previous post that I did send Hyundai customer care a couple of e-mails regarding the rattling issue and the response from the service station was really good after those mails went through.
Old 21st January 2010, 20:30   #10
BHPian

Hi Mubeen,

Thank you very much for your +ve comments on ground clearance of i20 as i was deeply worried about it. Hope i take the right decision in the next day or two when i book my first vehicle.

Thanks once again

Joe-Ker,

You are right. +1 for i20 when it comes to image/styling/looks factor. Thank you.

Regards,

Vish
vishwask82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 21:02   #11
BHPian

Running costs

The i20 has been really frugal as far as the fuel consumption goes. The bulk of my driving has been a mix of regular everyday Chennai traffic (8km) + about 8 km of semi highway driving. Thats 32 km a day.

With the current mix of roads that I traverse i am getting an average mileage of roundabout 12.52 km per liter. This works out to Rs. 4.21 per km of fuel cost.

The methodology of calculating fuel efficiency is pretty simple. Every time the fuel indicator needle touches E but before the reserve lamp starts glowing I fill up for Rs. 1500/-. This gives me 30.83 liters. The next time it touches E again I record the km's run and viola i have the mileage.

I know there are many who wouldn't agree with this method of calculating averages. But hey give or take a few, i'm not going to lose too much sleep on this.
Old 21st January 2010, 21:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your i20 Mubeen. We deserve a few pics of your beauty!
Also, try to calculate gas mileage by the auto cut to auto cut procedure - thats more accurate.
I too eyed the i20 but wanted an A/T, and i20 1.4 A/T was way above my budget - so settled for i10 A/T.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 22:05   #13
BHPian

Mubeen congratulations for a fantastic car.

had driven the i20 a while back and it is a pleasure to drive. do post pics of your ride.
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 22:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubeen View Post
Everything about the punto was fine. It was the perfect package EXCEPT for fiats tie up with tata for after sales service. After owning the indigo for 5 years and having a first hand experience with the after sales service it certainly would have been very brave or very foolish of me to head back down that road. I was neither!
TATA Guys - are you reading this... A real feed back from a real owner. FIAT what i can say, you need to work hard to get rid of this image created by both of you.

Quote:
Test drive and BookingCome 25th September and dad put his foot down and we had this little conversation:

Next day Sep 26 Saturday got draft from bank and dropped it off at the showroom with all necessary documents. Tuesday Sep 29th i take delivery of my brand now car. Talk about transact at speed! ( I guess I have the team bhp record for fastest booking to delivery time for the i20 )
That went like a bullet train, you indeed holding that record for the fastest booking/delivery.

Quote:
The first service - of many to come!!
What was in your mind at that time. Again TATA ghosts are hunting you by wearing the Hyundai dress

Congrats ! are we missing something here The Pictures

Last edited by wildon : 21st January 2010 at 22:23.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 23:16   #15
BHPian

Congrats Mubeen.Waiting for pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwask82 View Post
Thank you very much for your +ve comments on ground clearance of i20 as i was deeply worried about it. Hope i take the right decision in the next day or two when i book my first vehicle.
Vish,
Don't think too much on ground clearance.
If you want comfortable seating for three,go for i20.
Reddy@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote