Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 16:38   #1696
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 231
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

I would be happy if I get around 15 for my TDCi in the horrible traffic of Bangalore. To cover a distance of 13 km to office, I take from 60 - 80 minutes these days. When I drove out of showroom, they told about 3 liters of diesel is there. Filled about 25 liters at my regular pump on BTM Layout ( Advaith, I will highly recommend this place to Bangaloreans who happen to drive in that route). Then the DTE showed 403. So the mileage as per DTE is about 14.3 and after that, the DTE decrease is directly in line with the km's I run. After 1st service, I hope I can manage 15+ with some smart driving. Just switching off at those crowded signals alone improves the mileage ! In my route, out of the 60 minutes, I will be easily waiting at signals for 15 - 20 minutes.

Regarding tyres, I got Goodyear. Happy that I didn't get Apolo after seeing some of the posts here about the troubles !
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 16:38   #1697
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,342
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
FE has got nothing to do with stopping at auto-cutoff or filling to the brim. I think you are getting it mixed up buddy..FE means kms/litre whereas auto-cutoff/filling up to the brim will mean more fuel in the tank and hence more distance covered.

Well it's a personal choice whether you want to fill till it overflows. But, there must be a reason why auto-cut offs are provided.
Will do a PM on this... already OT's are more
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 16:44   #1698
BHPian
 
Brix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

I read this in an email long time back.

Its recommended to stop at the first cutoff because, the fuel has traveled past the meter into the pipe. And if its cutoff it means that you've been billed for the fuel that still exists in the pipe(blacksnake) and that has not flowed into your tank. Probably a considerable amount of fuel. And if he keeps trying to refill with multiple cutoffs, you lost a lot more fuel according to the above theory.

Even since I read that email, I ensure that I either stop and the first cutoff, or I approximately mention the # of litres/money based on the fuel gauge.
That way its very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
FE has got nothing to do with stopping at auto-cutoff or filling to the brim. I think you are getting it mixed up buddy..FE means kms/litre whereas auto-cutoff/filling up to the brim will mean more fuel in the tank and hence more distance covered.

Well it's a personal choice whether you want to fill till it overflows. But, there must be a reason why auto-cut offs are provided.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 16:48   #1699
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

I just a saw a Squeeze TDCi with ribbons being driven into my office. My first sighting of a non-display Squeeze. It looked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
As a thumb rule i would expect only around 12-14 in city and 15-17 on highways for a petrol 1.2 car. Anything more is just sheer luck i would say. On diesels this could be around 13-15 in city and 17-19 on highways. Buying a car expecting more than this would just give you heart burns. Just my opinion. Again i am telling you, if F.E is a high priority you should go for the KB Series.
I could not have put it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
That statement worries me a lot.
Why, what were your expectations? Like gemi said, it's a thumb rule. Some get more, some get less.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 16:53   #1700
BHPian
 
scorpio07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 284
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
I read this in an email long time back.

Its recommended to stop at the first cutoff because, the fuel has traveled past the meter into the pipe. And if its cutoff it means that you've been billed for the fuel that still exists in the pipe(blacksnake) and that has not flowed into your tank. Probably a considerable amount of fuel. And if he keeps trying to refill with multiple cutoffs, you lost a lot more fuel according to the above theory.

Even since I read that email, I ensure that I either stop and the first cutoff, or I approximately mention the # of litres/money based on the fuel gauge.
That way its very safe.
Ohh good to know that, yesterday when i filled, after the auto cut off also i filled about half litre or so i guess that would put the FE between 15 - 17 based on DTE city driving with AC, anyways will check full tank to fulltank.

Also, what we do is fill the tank, drive around for about 200 kms then fill the tank again. based on the amount of fuel filled we can calculate the FE?

which one is better rather more accurate for FE calculation
scorpio07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 16:53   #1701
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 754
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Hello Guys,

Is there any news if Maruti is launching SX4 diesel hatchback? I would prefer to buy it
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:19   #1702
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: kottayam
Posts: 282
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
You have to really see the numbers if you take away Mustang's and mkerala's posts
Our pots don't even go beyond 198+222=420. Total post is already over 2350. So its nearly 2000 replys from others. I am a normal person like you who liked figo and booked it. So why are not considering me as a figo fan?
mkerala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:30   #1703
BHPian
 
PYSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
@pyso Do you really want me to answer this?

@longhorn A reply would be highly appreciated. Heck even a Merc owner looks at FE, which is why even in that segment diesel is the preferred choice. The B segment is way below that, and at least in the Indian context, we can't afford not to think about FE.
Consider a Merc owner (most likely a politician / builder / businessman) - who drives 30000 - 40000 kms a year. How much would his fuel bill differ over 5 years of ownership, if he bought a Petrol instead of a Diesel? Roughly 7-9 lakhs over 5 years?

Just imagine a B segment petrol car owner (most likely a young, middle class, salaried, family man), who drives 8000 to 10000 kms a year. How much will his fuel bill increase if he had an engine delivering 11 kpl (Figo) instead of 13 kpl (Swift)? Roughly 30K - 40K over 5 years?

The figures would be self-explanatory to you.

Will the B segment petrol car owner go for a car with more capabilities, more features at a cheaper sale price; however having 15% lower FE (FIGO)?
Or will he go for a car with higher FE; however with less features, less capabilities, and a higher sale price (SWIFT)?

Think of it differently -- when one goes to buy a car ---> If you can afford a A+ segment car, dont you stretch and somehow buy a B segment car instead? If you can afford a B segment car, don't you stretch and buy a B+ segment car instead? Why? Simply because you know that the car is going to stay with you for another 5-7 years, and you better buy as good a car as you can stretch and afford.

Imagine the guy who is stretching his budget from A+ segment to buy a B segment car. Is his top priority FE? Nope, because if that was the case, then he would stick to the A+ segment car. He is looking for something which an A+ segment car cant give him. He is looking at having various features, some amount of driving pleasure, a car with which he can go on occasional long drives, a car with much more space and comfort than a A+ car, a car with more safety, etc. FE is a concern, but then he would be willing to sacrifice some FE for getting a substantially better car.

Figo P will find it difficult against Swift P, mainly due to the Maruti brand, Maruti A**, and the fact that Swift is a established product; and only minorly due to lower FE of Figo P engine.
PYSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:32   #1704
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerala View Post
Our pots don't even go beyond 198+222=420. Total post is already over 2350. So its nearly 2000 replys from others. I am a normal person like you who liked figo and booked it. So why are not considering me as a figo fan?
OT: mkerala. I think you are "put" here by some competing brand to "promote" the delay in delivery. Now that ford has decided to "Squeeze" you. What are you gonna do!!!
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:36   #1705
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hello Guys,

Is there any news if Maruti is launching SX4 diesel hatchback? I would prefer to buy it
This is another proof about the popularity of this thread! It is attracting total OTs like magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas
OT: mkerala. I think you are "put" here by some competing brand to "promote" the delay in delivery. Now that ford has decided to "Squeeze" you. What are you gonna do!!!

Last edited by sanjayc : 9th April 2010 at 17:38.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:40   #1706
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerala View Post
Our pots don't even go beyond 198+222=420. Total post is already over 2350. So its nearly 2000 replys from others. I am a normal person like you who liked figo and booked it. So why are not considering me as a figo fan?
Is this Polo 3-Pot? 192+222=420 Is this some DTE figure
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:44   #1707
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - Now in Munich, Germany
Posts: 754
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
This is another proof about the popularity of this thread! It is attracting total OTs like magnets
Here many of us are comparing Figo with other hatchback, this one was one of my attampt
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:45   #1708
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,136
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Just imagine a B segment petrol car owner (most likely a young, middle class, salaried, family man), who drives 8000 to 10000 kms a year. How much will his fuel bill increase if he had an engine delivering 11 kpl (Figo) instead of 13 kpl (Swift)? Roughly 30K - 40K over 5 years?
I don't think the Figo(P)'s FE is as low as 11 but the K series Swift sure as heck gives 14-16 in city unless you are ripping all the way to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post

Will the B segment petrol car owner go for a car with more capabilities, more features at a cheaper sale price; however having 15% lower FE (FIGO)?

Or will he go for a car with higher FE; however with less features, less capabilities, and a higher sale price (SWIFT)?

Figo P will find it difficult against Swift P, mainly due to the Maruti brand, Maruti A**, and the fact that Swift is a established product; and only minorly due to lower FE of Figo P engine.
As far as petrol engine goes, I believe if he can afford that extra 50K, he would go in for the Swift, while for the diesel, he would go for the Figo.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:52   #1709
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: kottayam
Posts: 282
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
OT: mkerala. I think you are "put" here by some competing brand to "promote" the delay in delivery. Now that ford has decided to "Squeeze" you. What are you gonna do!!!
I spoke here out about delay when my dealer told that he doesn't know when he can deliver my car. Till that time i was silent. I didn't even want mustang to enquirer about my delay even though he offered.

Also someone from here had put a list of guys whose figo are delivered and i was in it. He commented something like "This guy....". O'h i don't remember much. Tried searching the forum couldn't find.

This delay has not occurred because me or any company but ford itself.
mkerala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 18:08   #1710
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
As far as petrol engine goes, I believe if he can afford that extra 50K, he would go in for the Swift, while for the diesel, he would go for the Figo.
What if he can afford the extra 50K for the petrol engine, but has claustrophobia and needs decent boot space as well?

Swift's weight is ~ 1000 kgs. Figo's weight is ~ 1100 kgs. Have you ever felt the difference in sheet metal between the two? Or the insulation?

A swift runs on 165 mm tires. A Figo runs on 175 mm tires. Need I say which tire is better for mileage and which one is better for road grip and safety?

Like I have repeated before, don't go by FE alone. There are more factors that make up a car. If FE is very important, don't go anywhere near the Figo. But it's still a better VFM proposition overall IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerala View Post
This delay has not occurred because me or any company but ford itself.
mkerala is feeling 'squeezed' by gemithomas.

Last edited by Gilead : 9th April 2010 at 18:10.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 869 6th December 2016 10:20
6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India Night Raven Technical Stuff 27 20th September 2016 16:25
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched RavenAvi The Indian Car Scene 719 9th November 2015 03:04
Supposed spyshots of next gen Ford Figo surface JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 73 13th February 2015 14:43
My 1st diesel: Diamond white Ford Figo ZXI. Interior Pics on Pg 3 sameerg001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 9th June 2014 02:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:32.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks