Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th April 2010, 09:52   #1786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
@gemi : All 5 are being changed
do all apollo tyre fitted cars need to be changed to good year. Will it affect my driviability in the future. please advise
scorpio07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 09:55   #1787
BANNED

Quote:
Tell him now only to replace your tyres with any of the other figos, if those tyres are indeed apollo, but i guess you will get goodyear only.
What if he doesn't agree for it?
mkerala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 09:55   #1788
BANNED

@scorpio : I dont have any clue about this as i have moved to delhi now but if you are facing even slight problems then its best to get it changed.

@mkerala : I think he will. Let me know what he says.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 10:39   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
What if he can afford the extra 50K for the petrol engine, but has claustrophobia and needs decent boot space as well?

Swift's weight is ~ 1000 kgs. Figo's weight is ~ 1100 kgs. Have you ever felt the difference in sheet metal between the two? Or the insulation?

A swift runs on 165 mm tires. A Figo runs on 175 mm tires. Need I say which tire is better for mileage and which one is better for road grip and safety?

Like I have repeated before, don't go by FE alone. There are more factors that make up a car. If FE is very important, don't go anywhere near the Figo. But it's still a better VFM proposition overall IMO.

Each car is different from another just as each person's need is different from another's. What suits you to a T might not suit another at all. A huge boot is good for those who require it, for others its just a waste of FE lugging all that weight around.

You might prefer a heavy car while i may preafer a car that accelerates quickly. I don't think the insulation in the Figo is any better than the Swift. The exhaust note is audible inside with the windows rolled up. Wonder where all that insulation went.

165mm tires are good enough for the Swift for sane driving. If you drive like a maniac, nothing will be good enough be it the Swift or Figo or even a Merc.

Figo is definitely a VFM proposition. If I were looking for a diesel hatch, I would go for it over the Swift, but in case of the petrol, the combination of the Swift's engine, gearbox, brilliant chassis and handling is simply too good to be matched by any other car in the segment, let alone the Figo. The better FE is just the icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
We just need to wait another 3-4 months to see what Indian customers prefer. Swift P or Figo P

Swit P
-----
FE
Maruti A**
Established product
Rear power windows

Figo P
------
Cheaper
Better AC
More spacious
Better build quality
More features
Bigger boot
Better ride, handling
Figo diesel sales will have a good effect on the Figo P, as well

Initial acquisition cost aside, the Swift Petrol will beat the Figo hands down. The peace of mind attached with Maruti's A.S.S. is something that cannot be matched by any other manufacturer in India today.

Figo's ride quality is better, but handling is better in the Swift.

Ford is just at the tip of the iceberg. I just can't imagine the scene at Ford's service centres when all these Figos turn up for servicing. They are just not used to the numbers game.

If the pointers we have seen so far are anything to go by, the petrol Figo will be a dud in the used car market. Heck the petrol Ikon goes for a price which is within striking distance of that of an 800 of a similar age.

Last edited by longhorn : 10th April 2010 at 10:45.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 10:57   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@mkerala : I think he will. Let me know what he says.
Just spoke to Ford Customer Service guy->Customer Care Manager Kairali Ford-> Service Head Kairali Ford in that order. None of them seem to know about ford changing Apollo's to Goodyear. Anyways i will take my car to the service centre on Monday and get it checked. Hope they live up to the expectation.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 11:00   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
But for the Maruti factor, Swift P doesnt stand a chance against Figo P. Well of course it has a FE engine, but that FE engine would save the average buyer about 50K over 7 years. But then the Swift P is about 50K more expensive to buy when compared to Figo P. So, it would be a no-brainer to buy the substantially better car Figo P at the cheaper price (and pay the difference in higher fuel costs over 7 years).
What about the resale value at the end of 5 years. The difference at the end of 5 years will be much more that the intial 50k you invest. Don't believe me? Just have a look at the prices for second hand Swift petrol. You can buty a new petrol Figo for the price of a 1-2 year old Swift petrol.

Last edited by longhorn : 10th April 2010 at 11:02.
Old 10th April 2010, 11:34   #1792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
What about the resale value at the end of 5 years. The difference at the end of 5 years will be much more that the intial 50k you invest. Don't believe me? Just have a look at the prices for second hand Swift petrol. You can buty a new petrol Figo for the price of a 1-2 year old Swift petrol.
Man, you must be some crystalball gazer! 5-6 years from now, predicting the resale value of cars purchased today! When one does'nt even know if the subsidy on diesel, at least of vehicles for personal use, will remain or not!

As the "bird in hand..." saying goes I will prefer saving 50-60K today than hazard a guess on the resale value difference post 5 yrs.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 11:56   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
165mm tires are good enough for the Swift for sane driving. If you drive like a maniac, nothing will be good enough be it the Swift or Figo or even a Merc.
165mm tires are good enough for sane driving? Ok let me add a few,
800cc engine is good enough for sane driving.
Seatbelts, ABS, Airbag? No no. Not needed. Drive sanely and you don't need it.

Talking about petrol engines, there's no doubt on the superiority of the 1.2L K-Series engine.

But why don't you just accept the fact that the Figo is heavier and properly tired and these affect it's FE as well?
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 12:01   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Man, you must be some crystalball gazer! 5-6 years from now, predicting the resale value of cars purchased today! When one does'nt even know if the subsidy on diesel, at least of vehicles for personal use, will remain or not!

As the "bird in hand..." saying goes I will prefer saving 50-60K today than hazard a guess on the resale value difference post 5 yrs.
Boy, you should have paid attention while you were in school. I think you have never come across the word 'forecasting' . It means forseeing the future with a reasonable degree of accuracy based on past imperical evidence.

How do you think manufacturers decide how the production capacity of their plant? After all, the market demand will only be known once they start selling the product in the market. Do you think they go to some crystal ball gazer, pay him some money to get the numbers and then build their plant capacity accordingly?

It doesn't take rocket science to predict that Figo's resale value 5 years down the line, will be lesser than a Swift's. As far as the Indian market is concerned, other things being equal, a Japanese product will have the best resale value, followed by Korean. European, American and Indian bring up the bottom.

Last edited by longhorn : 10th April 2010 at 12:05.
Old 10th April 2010, 12:06   #1795
BHPian

Quote:
What negatively affects the FE figures of figo are:

1) Extra cool AC
2) Big Tyres 175/65 R14
3) 1100 Kgs of weight <------ Touch the metal on it & you will know
4) Engine always encouraging the driver to rev it to the redline & run flat on the corners for that engaging & fun drive.

Think its a waste? Go for some other brands guys.
1. IF Figo P gave better FE with AC switched off the ARAI figures would have reflected that.

3.Petrol Figo weighs just 40 kilos more than Swift @ 1040kgs.
Titanium version weighs 1090kgs but that is because of extra accessories and not the sheet metal.

4.Even the swift petrol is not a laidback engine, it's peppy and rev friendly.

Agree that FIGO is better than Swift in many factors but miles behind in the engine department.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 12:12   #1796
Senior - BHPian

It is not wise to compare a one month old car with a 5 year old car like Swift. Don't carried away by the hype created by a new launch. Let us wait and watch how Figo fares in long term once the initial hoopla dies down. We have proof in Punto for this phenomenon.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 12:17   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
165mm tires are good enough for sane driving? Ok let me add a few,
800cc engine is good enough for sane driving.
Seatbelts, ABS, Airbag? No no. Not needed. Drive sanely and you don't need it.
I didn't get your point? Did you mean to say that Swift does not come with ABS or airbags?

Just for the record, The Maruti 800 came with seatbelts, way before they were mandated by law. If you feel so strongly for the need for ABS and airbag, why don't you ask Ford to provide them as standard right from the Lxi version onwards. AFAIK only the top end Titanium comes with airbags and ABS. The Swift Vxi trim provides ABS as an option, while both the ABS and airbag is standard in the Zxi trim. So no brownie points for the Figo here.

Quote:
Talking about petrol engines, there's no doubt on the superiority of the 1.2L K-Series engine.

But why don't you just accept the fact that the Figo is heavier and properly tired and these affect it's FE as well?
I accept that fact that the Figo is heavier and properly tired for the engine that it comes with thus affecting the FE. Can you accept the fact that the petrol is underpowered and you really need to work her to extract power and while at it you lose on FE ?
Old 10th April 2010, 12:18   #1798
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
1. IF Figo P gave better FE with AC switched off the ARAI figures would have reflected that.

3.Petrol Figo weighs just 40 kilos more than Swift @ 1040kgs.
Titanium version weighs 1090kgs but that is because of extra accessories and not the sheet metal.

4.Even the swift petrol is not a laidback engine, it's peppy and rev friendly.

Agree that FIGO is better than Swift in many factors but miles behind in the engine department.

I dont even feel like commenting on your post after what all you have done, You know about it so no need to mention.

*With no reference to the above post*
For other team-bhpians weight is weight whether its in accessory form or sheet metal form.

Agreed, Figo fuel efficiency is less than some competition, so what?

and some people say that figo engine is not that rev happy, what do u have to say about its max power which is developed at 6250 RPM?
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 12:33   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I accept that fact that the Figo is heavier and properly tired for the engine that it comes with thus affecting the FE. Can you accept the fact that the petrol is underpowered and you really need to work her to extract power and while at it you lose on FE ?
This is exactly my point as well. See my post in the same thread below.

Quote:
While this satement holds true for the Ikon 1.3/1.6 and Fusion/Fiesta 1.6. I would beg to differ slightly on this point wrt the Figo 1.2 P.

During my TD of the Figo 1.2 P, I had to flog it/floor the pedal, work the gears - To EXTRACT power from the engine. It just didn't have the grunt/pep of the Ikon 1.3 (Which as you said, teases us to floor)

So someone who wants spirited performance form the Figo P IMHO will have to flog it and will end up with poor FE. Drive it sedately then it should be kind enough to you.
See longhorn, I would like to reiterate a point. The B segment cars are so similarly speced, priced, sized etc that there's a very thin line of diff between each of them i.e each has it's +ves and -ves wrt the other/a selling USP.

Now it's upto the consumer to choose the car which suits his needs the best. So you know what? If it's the peppiness+FE of the petrol I need I would choose a Swift, Ritz or the i10. If it's space, ride+handling, VFM then I would choose a Figo Diesel.

There's absolutely NO POINT in bragging that a Swift rattles and the Figo P might not be as Fuel efficient as the Swift.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 12:36   #1800
BANNED

I just got the aux-in cable which i ordered from ebay. Its approx Rs 45.

3.5mm AUX AUXILIARY CABLE CORD FOR iPOD MP3 CAR 3.5 mm - eBay (item 170465614727 end time Mar-29-10 09:36:55 PDT)

In my local store it was available for Rs 15, but out of stock.

Now i got aux-in for my figo, need USB too.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-image0385.jpg  

mkerala is offline   Reply With Quote