Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2010, 19:04   #1891
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
...
A while ago, I drove my Fiesta at 150 kmph over a bump on the highway (no joking, I am serious). Didnt see the bump coming at all. Only the front tyres hit the bump, after which I believe the car went up in the air for a few milli-seconds before landing.
...
I'm curious:
1) How many occupants in the car at that time
2) When the car landed, was it under control or did u have to maneuver to regain control?
3) what went through your mind during those few milliseconds before you realised what was happening

Many years ago, when the Outer ring road had just opened to public .. my friend and i were cruising in a M800 at 80 kmph or so. Suddenly there was a thud and the roof hit our heads!! yes, there was an invisible hump.. maybe about 10 cms tall right in the middle of nowhere. It was so unexpected that nothing went through my head until we landed and the car stabilized again. It was about 8 PM and pretty dark outside. So, we didn't even stop to check if anything was damaged. Luckily, nothing had gone wrong .. (or perhaps the service centre could not identify anything wrong)
scanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 19:24   #1892
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Ok this is here but i got some shocking news today only.

One of my colleagues gave me some good news & some bad news from Chennai

The Bad part First : The New Fiesta sedan 'MAYNOT' be launching in India next year, ie: Dont expect the fiesta sedan in 2011. This decision is nearly 80% confirmed according to him & he says that this decision was taken as the current fiesta is already selling in good nos.


The Good Part : Expect The Fiesta Hatch to be launched next year & extensive testing has now started again. It will be launched after Q2 next year.


The Not so Ugly part :

The fiesta hatch is neither going to be cheap & nor is it going to be very expensive, Expect base model pricing to start at around 6 lacs ex-showroom delhi. <-----------Liable to change anytime without prior notice


The somewhat Ugly part :

All those waiting for a price drop in the current fiesta sedan at the end of this year, DONT WAIT! all you will get is another kind of limited edition for lower models & some other discounts on the higher end variants which are going to last only for a couple of months then.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 11th April 2010 at 19:28.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 19:38   #1893
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
The Bad part First : The New Fiesta sedan 'MAYNOT' be launching in India next year, ie: Dont expect the fiesta sedan in 2011. This decision is nearly 80% confirmed according to him & he says that this decision was taken as the current fiesta is already selling in good nos.
Sure it's selling, but is it really a good reason to delay the new Fiesta? Competition in the form of Etios and Polo sedans and Linea T-jet will arrive soon.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 19:45   #1894
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
And a personal problem of mine. A while ago, I drove my Fiesta at 150 kmph over a bump on the highway (no joking, I am serious). Didnt see the bump coming at all. Only the front tyres hit the bump, after which I believe the car went up in the air for a few milli-seconds before landing. After this incident, I am noticing that steering starts shaking when I touch 120 kmph. Also, my right arm hurts on long drives, and the car has a tendency to veer to the right.
IF the wheel alignment is done properly and your problem does not disappear, then, you need to look at your front suspension overall / change. balljoints, lower arms etc.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 19:58   #1895
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,200
Thanked: 472 Times
Default

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1832608

Update - done 470KM

Tanked up at shell today. She drank 39L
Average FE on the first tank - 11.5
This was with heavy b2b traffic and with AC on all the time. Along with 60KM of highway drive.
Things should improve now,
No more shell for me 58.95

Problems -
My front suspension seems to have started making a Squeaking sound. Makes some kind of funny sound when I go over pot holes or speed breakers.
I have never taken the car on any bad broken roads!

Wondering if I should show her to ford or wait until my first service?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 23:24   #1896
BHPian
 
PYSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
On the highway & @150 kph, You had tires with 36 psi air in them.
Yes, I always do my tyres to 36 psi (front and back) when I do long drives on highways. Usually it is 3 people travelling in the car, including me. I do this, because of the unexpected holes, humps, bumps, gutters, that come on some highways..

Is this unsafe, by any chance? Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
1. As rightly advised by kpzen and Mustang, get the alignment done, pronto. (Toe in & Toe out)
2. Get the Caster and Camber checked.
3. If the above two steps don't solve the issue, interchange the front two tyres (only).
4. If the issue still remains unresolved, interchange the front tires with the rear ones while maintaining the interchanged front tyres in the present position. So in effect, now the left front tyre has come to rear right.

Please let us know your feedback.
Will first do wheel alignment, balancing and rotation and see if that works. Will update here, how that turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanD View Post
I'm curious:
1) How many occupants in the car at that time
2) When the car landed, was it under control or did u have to maneuver to regain control?
3) what went through your mind during those few milliseconds before you realised what was happening

Many years ago, when the Outer ring road had just opened to public ..
I was driving into Bangalore (first time) from Hyderabad. On the NH7, about 80 kms before reaching Bangalore, I hit this hump. It was around 3 pm in the afternoon, so there was more than enough light. It was a newly tarred stretch (no lane markings, etc were done yet), and the whole tarmac was pitch black. So, naturally didn't notice the hump until the last moment. Only my wife was with me in the car (The boot was 70% loaded, but the back seats were empty). I think what saved the situation was that, once I saw the hump, either I didn't have the time to hit the brakes, or my mind quickly calculated that it would be counter-productive to hit the brakes. I heard the first thud as front tyres went over the hump, and I expected to hear the second thud to come almost immediately. But the second thud didnt come, so I realised that the car flew off the road, perhaps only for a few milli-seconds. Fortunately, both of us didnt hit our heads on the roof.

The amazing part is the car kept its straight line after landing. That is when I realised that I am so lucky to have bought a Ford

After a few seconds, my mind started evaluating what all could have gone wrong with the car. I wondered whether to stop the car and check out the tyres. But the car felt extremely stable and everything seemed allright. So, I just reduced the speed to around 80 and kept going until I reached my brother's house in Bangalore.

Many thanks to Ford folks that everything went fine (Fiesta platform has superb handling and suspension, I guess). I still wonder what would have happened if I had hit the brakes when I saw the hump. Probably the brakes + jumping the hump at 150 kph would have caused the car to skid and veer off (my Fiesta doesnt have ABS).

Alls well that ends well. I am hoping for a happy ending after I do the wheel alignment+balancing+rotation next week.
PYSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 00:58   #1897
BHPian
 
shubhodeepdas@g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
And a personal problem of mine. A while ago, I drove my Fiesta at 150 kmph over a bump on the highway (no joking, I am serious). Didnt see the bump coming at all. Only the front tyres hit the bump, after which I believe the car went up in the air for a few milli-seconds before landing. After this incident, I am noticing that steering starts shaking when I touch 120 kmph. Also, my right arm hurts on long drives, and the car has a tendency to veer to the right.

I guess the steering shake should be fixed by wheel balancing, and the strain on the right arm should go away after wheel alignment. But, I am just wondering if it is possible that the steering alignment or something else could have gone wrong, considering that I went over the hump at 150 kmph. Any comments?
Hi Pyso, I had the same problem with the Fusion for almost a year and a half. And yes, have driven over various speed breakers but not at 150 kmph (120 kmph).

The Symptom: The steering would start vibrating around 120 kmph and the vibrations would subside and disappear after crossing 130 kmph. Got very used to it and used to call it a "Stick Shaker" like in the aircrafts.

The Cure: Wheel alignment and balancing were done numerous times at Ford with no effect on the problem. Finally I turned to Goodyear (while replacing a shredded tyre after driving over a rake at 120 kmph). An authorized Goodyear showroom did the Alignment, Balancing and Nitrogen filling (34 all around) of all the tyres and there has been no repetition of the problem there after. The car still runs on Nitrogen filled tyres and is regularly balanced and aligned outside Ford.

Damages: Possibilities of axle damage are there when one hits a speed breaker at very high speeds, but such vibrations will be constant through all speeds (normally). My car was checked for axle and rack damage as well.

Hope this helps.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 02:39   #1898
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 264 Times
Default

to all ford people(you know whom i mean )

1. is there any version of the figo that has steering mounted audio controls?
2. is the figo available in the UK, by another name?
3. if the above is no, is the same audio player available in any other ford cars in the world?

regards,
govigov

Last edited by govigov : 12th April 2010 at 02:39. Reason: spelling
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 06:36   #1899
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanD View Post
Has anybody here compiled the PDI checklist in a document (doc /pdf) format? I intend to prepare it if one doesn't already exist. Anyone?
There is one available on TEAM-BHP . Please search the forum
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 07:45   #1900
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,342
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

<<<I am hoping for a happy ending after I do the wheel alignment+balancing+rotation next week.>>>
I think it should be balancing + alignment. Rotation is needed if you have done more kms with the same tyres and have started seeing uneven wear and tear esp in the front ones.
Good point - you did not brake.
For Nitrogen +1 or +2 psi is recommended more than ordinary.

Period

(Sub) consciously interested to see Figo's on road.. Saw a white one with alloys - excellent white in a temple - came for pooja
Any idea what is the take back price in chennai of these orginal rims - can anyone help
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 07:48   #1901
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Yes, I always do my tyres to 36 psi (front and back) when I do long drives on highways. Usually it is 3 people travelling in the car, including me. I do this, because of the unexpected holes, humps, bumps, gutters, that come on some highways..

Is this unsafe, by any chance? Why?

Yes, I think it is unsafe, You should stick to the recommended tyre pressures & overfilling tires will cause tires to warm up faster at higher speeds on the highway so it might prove to be unsafe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
to all ford people(you know whom i mean )

1. is there any version of the figo that has steering mounted audio controls?
2. is the figo available in the UK, by another name?
3. if the above is no, is the same audio player available in any other ford cars in the world?

regards,
govigov
Ans 1 = NO
Ans 2 = NO
Ans 3 = NO
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 08:31   #1902
BHPian
 
PYSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Hi Pyso, I had the same problem with the Fusion for almost a year and a half. And yes, have driven over various speed breakers but not at 150 kmph (120 kmph).

The Symptom: The steering would start vibrating around 120 kmph and the vibrations would subside and disappear after crossing 130 kmph. Got very used to it and used to call it a "Stick Shaker" like in the aircrafts.

The Cure: Wheel alignment and balancing were done numerous times at Ford with no effect on the problem. Finally I turned to Goodyear (while replacing a shredded tyre after driving over a rake at 120 kmph). An authorized Goodyear showroom did the Alignment, Balancing and Nitrogen filling (34 all around) of all the tyres and there has been no repetition of the problem there after. The car still runs on Nitrogen filled tyres and is regularly balanced and aligned outside Ford.
I am also in Bangalore -- so please let me know which Goodyear showroom you went to. I would like to go to the same one, because my problem is also almost the same. The steering shake starts at 115 kph and peaks at 120 kph. After 120, the steering shake starts subsiding and by 130 kph it is much lesser.

Also, will the Goodyear showroom only do wheel balancing + alignment (or will I have to buy Goodyear tyres, as well)?
PYSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 09:59   #1903
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
The amazing part is the car kept its straight line after landing. That is when I realised that I am so lucky to have bought a Ford
...
...
Many thanks to Ford folks that everything went fine (Fiesta platform has superb handling and suspension, I guess). I still wonder what would have happened if I had hit the brakes when I saw the hump. Probably the brakes + jumping the hump at 150 kph would have caused the car to skid and veer off (my Fiesta doesnt have ABS).
Similar experience for me in a Fiesta..posted here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1700474 (All Fiesta Owners - You are here)

(see the last but one paragraph in Fiesta Experience section)
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 10:12   #1904
BHPian
 
shubhodeepdas@g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
I am also in Bangalore -- so please let me know which Goodyear showroom you went to. I would like to go to the same one, because my problem is also almost the same. The steering shake starts at 115 kph and peaks at 120 kph. After 120, the steering shake starts subsiding and by 130 kph it is much lesser.

Also, will the Goodyear showroom only do wheel balancing + alignment (or will I have to buy Goodyear tyres, as well)?
The Goodyear showroom I visited was in Kolkata, primarily because I had lost a tyre. Presently the car is Balanced and Aligned at Tyre Empire, Varthur and I have had no issues ever since.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 10:58   #1905
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 121
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Yes, I think it is unsafe, You should stick to the recommended tyre pressures & overfilling tires will cause tires to warm up faster at higher speeds on the highway so it might prove to be unsafe.
Well, the user manual recommends range, depending upon number of persons, for front tyres to be 30 to 36 psi and rear tyres 30 to 41 psi !
Isn't it a bit too high as compared to other cars or am I missing something.
silverknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 869 6th December 2016 10:20
6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India Night Raven Technical Stuff 27 20th September 2016 16:25
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched RavenAvi The Indian Car Scene 719 9th November 2015 03:04
Supposed spyshots of next gen Ford Figo surface JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 73 13th February 2015 14:43
My 1st diesel: Diamond white Ford Figo ZXI. Interior Pics on Pg 3 sameerg001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 9th June 2014 02:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks