Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th May 2011, 13:55   #4336
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Get it done from outside.

Also you paid a lot for the art leather seat covers. I got mine from an autoform distributor one of the best quality ones for 5100/- including snug fitting.

I recommend that you go to an authorized 3M dealer and get it done.
I realised the thing about seat covers after I talked to someone at work. I had taken a guy with me who claimed to know all about cars - the guy had no idea in reality except that he did help me drive the car home.

Good thing I didn't take many accessories (did get door moldings though).

Another thing about parking sensors: Fortune Ford was trying to sell me a parking sensor that beeps when near obstacles. Didn't give me a demo. Is that a Ford sensor? Does Ford have any other sensor options?

There are sensors available that give distance to obstacle readings too. What happens to my warranty if I install one of those, or even some cameras?
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 14:01   #4337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Another thing about parking sensors: Fortune Ford was trying to sell me a parking sensor that beeps when near obstacles. Didn't give me a demo. Is that a Ford sensor? Does Ford have any other sensor options?

There are sensors available that give distance to obstacle readings too. What happens to my warranty if I install one of those, or even some cameras?
I have no idea about the OEM ford parking sensors.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 14:01   #4338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There should not be any issues with warranty.

But just a word of caution, most reverse parking sensor mirrors do not have the day/night setting, so with all those people driving with high beams behind, you will have tough time driving during nights, except for that reverse parking sensors are good!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 14:05   #4339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea about the OEM ford parking sensors.
Sorry to disturb you so many times, but I didn't understand:

Do you mean that you don't know whether they are good, or do you mean that Ford doesn't have parking sensors?

Or, do you mean that Ford may or may not have them but you don't know?

Also what about my warranty if I install 3rd party sensors? @anilsanil here says that warranty remains intact, but I'm not sure whether Ford will tell me tomorrow that this is unauthorised change to electricals.
Old 9th May 2011, 14:17   #4340
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry to disturb you so many times, but I didn't understand:

Do you mean that you don't know whether they are good, or do you mean that Ford doesn't have parking sensors?

Or, do you mean that Ford may or may not have them but you don't know?

Also what about my warranty if I install 3rd party sensors? @anilsanil here says that warranty remains intact, but I'm not sure whether Ford will tell me tomorrow that this is unauthorised change to electricals.
I know that ford has OEM parking sensors but thats all the knowledge that i have. I have no tech specs, no prices and no brand info.

I recommend that any electrical accessory (for eg: parking sensors) should be done at the ford service center only as electrical accessories are the no. 1 cause for warranty void issues.

Also, people outside take a lot of shortcuts by stripping wires to install electrical accessories and this becomes difficult to spot even by expert eyes.

As far as the parking sensors are concerned, i do not think one requires them in the figo.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:00   #4341
BHPian

Without getting into the technicalities of UV/IR, i can only talk to what i experienced- two similar cars in the open sun, side by side, 2 hrs straight - my car was only moderately warm whereas the other one was boiling inside.

I used 3m film on the windshield, not sure of the model but it was the best in the lineup of films that the vendor had. I did not choose a dark film as i believe it hampers night driving. As far as i know, UV has nothing to do with heat. From looking at 3M site, i think i might have got cr-70, but not sure. They do mention parameters like 'solar energy rejected', 'IR rejected'. But again, i could feel a vast difference. The perceptable difference will vary on the test conditions/ quality of the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I would suggest no. The glasses we have now are already UV protected, so a film is suggested only for privacy, everything else is marketing gimmick, I have Llumar film all around my car (to even the front windshield) and I feel no different in a friend's car which is without any filming. Technically speaking, all heat because of UV is already filtered out by your glasses/windshield and you cannot stop IR or visible light from entering the cabin!

So directing the a/c towards windshield is a better option than the sun control film!

I am not from NCR, but my mileage dropped by up to 3-5 kmpl as summer started. And apart from the a/c and traffic conditions, it is a known fact that Engines perform better in Winter, due to lower ambient temperature, denser air helping in the performance!
rohing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 16:08   #4342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that ford has OEM parking sensors but thats all the knowledge that i have. I have no tech specs, no prices and no brand info.

I recommend that any electrical accessory (for eg: parking sensors) should be done at the ford service center only as electrical accessories are the no. 1 cause for warranty void issues.

Also, people outside take a lot of shortcuts by stripping wires to install electrical accessories and this becomes difficult to spot even by expert eyes.

As far as the parking sensors are concerned, i do not think one requires them in the figo.

He he he, my thinking goes - given my driving skills, it is better to install a sensor than replace the hatch door

Another question: if I get a 3rd party sensor, would the Ford service center guys install it? And would they then mention it in the service history?

Based on your feedback I'll wait till the first service date and get it done (if I need it) at that time.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:17   #4343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Without getting into the technicalities of UV/IR, i can only talk to what i experienced- two similar cars in the open sun, side by side, 2 hrs straight - my car was only moderately warm whereas the other one was boiling inside.

I used 3m film on the windshield, not sure of the model but it was the best in the lineup of films that the vendor had. I did not choose a dark film as i believe it hampers night driving. As far as i know, UV has nothing to do with heat. From looking at 3M site, i think i might have got cr-70, but not sure. They do mention parameters like 'solar energy rejected', 'IR rejected'. But again, i could feel a vast difference. The perceptable difference will vary on the test conditions/ quality of the film.
If it is CR-70 then it has got IR rejection capabilities, so you may be right in your perception.

But the thing is, a sun film is almost useless if you are looking for heat rejection for parked vehicles over a period of time. Because a closed car acts like a Greenhouse and heat builds up, no matter what. May be a Sun filmed car which has 50% IR rejection rate might heat up slower but over a period of time (the cut off time depends on the energy rejected) both the cars would be equally hot.

Anyway, to each his own. If one wants to invest money on these films, then anyway he would, mine was just a suggestion against it from personal experience

P.S: I have Llumar Air75 on front windshield and Llumar steel 50 (light grey) all around. And they are not IR resistant.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 16:33   #4344
BANNED

Quote:
Another question: if I get a 3rd party sensor, would the Ford service center guys install it? And would they then mention it in the service history?

Based on your feedback I'll wait till the first service date and get it done (if I need it) at that time.

No Ford service center guy will install a 3rd party sensor for you and even if he does that privately then there will be no mentioned service record for it.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:40   #4345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Ford service center guy will install a 3rd party sensor for you and even if he does that privately then there will be no mentioned service record for it.
So basically unless I don't care about my warranty I would rather not install anything.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:50   #4346
BHPian

I agree - to each his own. My only suggestion to a person buying sun film is to make a informed buy - check out the parameters like how much visible light it lets in, what is IR% reflection etc etc. Am sure there is a big thread in t-bhp looking into every aspect of it.

The difference will mainly be felt when going on long drives or when parking for shorter durations - max upto 3-4 hrs. After that sun film or no film, the car will heat up (anilisanil's observation). The extra money for quality film will help.

Finally, darker is not always better!

Quote:
If it is CR-70 then it has got IR rejection capabilities, so you may be right in your perception.

But the thing is, a sun film is almost useless if you are looking for heat rejection for parked vehicles over a period of time. Because a closed car acts like a Greenhouse and heat builds up, no matter what. May be a Sun filmed car which has 50% IR rejection rate might heat up slower but over a period of time (the cut off time depends on the energy rejected) both the cars would be equally hot.

Anyway, to each his own. If one wants to invest money on these films, then anyway he would, mine was just a suggestion against it from personal experience

P.S: I have Llumar Air75 on front windshield and Llumar steel 50 (light grey) all around. And they are not IR resistant.
rohing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 18:03   #4347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are absolutely right about the equilibrium state.

On my last trip to U.S. I saw these guys doing this:
  1. On the windows facing the sun they would put some reflective board kind of a thing inside the car.
  2. Keep the windows a little open on the top - 5mm roughly - on two sides of the car.
The result was that a lot of sunrays would just bounce out (don't know how effective that is) and the temperature inside wouldn't rise too much even when the car was parked outside all day long (there was some sort of convection replacing the air via the two open windows).

Of course they don't have much dust in the silicon valley, but this can be tried in parkings that have a guard present (otherwise opening the window even a little may be dangerous.)
Old 10th May 2011, 11:27   #4348
BHPian

Talking about cooling your Figo, I think it all comes down to how long and how well protected. If the car is in the open for over 2 hours, the heat will build up whether you have the most expensive film or not, as there is no way for the car to discard that heat. On the same lines I was thinking of running the Blower on ventilation while the car is parked powered by Solar cells. I am trying to figure out what I need to add and change to get it to work. The heat rejection from ventilation will certainly help to keep it cooler.
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 19:15   #4349
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rohing, Anilsanil and gharika for some technical inputs on the films to prevent heat inside.

gharika - If you run some blower to pull out heat from inside of your car, then is it not necessary to have your ventilation either open on top of the car or under the dash.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 21:34   #4350
BHPian

Hello Figo owners, I need some help. Even after reading the opinions on keeping the original seats as they are, I went ahead and put on the vinyl (rexin?) covers (I have a 2 year old daughter who might soil the seats). But now I am faced with a new problem. I have AC on in the front but my back is getting wet due to sweat. This is distracting me quite a lot. What options do I have? a) Remove the front seat covers and keep only the one of the rear bench. This will make the interior look quite poor. b) get some additional removable padding (cotton type) put on the seat covers. This might affect the seating posture / curvature of the seat.

What you suggest guys?
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote