Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 21:26   #5311
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

Thanks Mustang. Any pointers on what should be looked at. The gears are really bad and it's almost impossible to shift from 1st to second smoothly. 2nd to third is even worst with the gear lever literally having to be forced.

I got the gears checked during the 10K service a few weeks back and they said that the cables were adjusted. Felt a little different for a few days but then back to square one.

I make sure there is no excessive use of clutch and no half clutching at all.

Also, after the service I have noticed that the usual behaviour of diesel engines of accelerating and maintaining speed without accelerator pressed is gone in my car. It now needs a downshift to prevent stalling and wont just start accelerating.

Did someone else drive your car prior to the deterioration? This gear trouble usually happens when a peraon uses less of the clutch pedal to change gears resulting in a grinding noise. Mostly people who are used to driving tall boys like santro or wagon r make this error while driving the figo tdci. It happens mostly in the diesel figo, such a situation is uncommon in petrol figos.

Stuff that needs checking for this issue are:

1. Gearbox oil level
2. Adjoining cables need to be checked n tightened if required.

Regarding the next issue, clutch needs to be examined. Also brakes need to be examined as sometimes due to rust and some other factors the friction increases and hence due to the excess friction you tend to lose the momentum.

Do not mention these solutions directly to the mechanic at first as sometimes experienced mechanics know a lot more than what i do due to their practical field experience.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 21:33   #5312
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,764
Thanked: 16,897 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Did someone else drive your car prior to the deterioration? This gear trouble usually happens when a peraon uses less of the clutch pedal to change gears resulting in a grinding noise. Mostly people who are used to driving tall boys like santro or wagon r make this error while driving the figo tdci. It happens mostly in the diesel figo, such a situation is uncommon in petrol figos.

Stuff that needs checking for this issue are:

1. Gearbox oil level
2. Adjoining cables need to be checked n tightened if required.

Regarding the next issue, clutch needs to be examined. Also brakes need to be examined as sometimes due to rust and some other factors the friction increases and hence due to the excess friction you tend to lose the momentum.

Do not mention these solutions directly to the mechanic at first as sometimes experienced mechanics know a lot more than what i do due to their practical field experience.
I'm the only one who drives the car. Car isn't even given for valet. I'm used to driving low slung lancer, Alto and now Altis.

My seat position is all the way back and gear changes are only when clutch is fully depressed, not at some in between point. There's no grinding noise whatsoever when shifting, just some resistance when moving out of the gear and when slotting. This is worse when you try a quick shift. Slow relaxed shifts i.e. press clutch let revs drop down then slot into next gear and ease clutch is the only way to ovoid resistance.

Also I have noticed that there is no resistance and gear shifts are very smooth at exactly 2,500rpm. They slot in very sweetly. Anything below or anything higher needs a precise shift.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:02   #5313
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 508
Thanked: 301 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Guys, I've a query here.
I always follow the tankful to tankful method of filling diesel.

Normally I fill up fuel when the DTE shows around 60-70 Kms remaining (I usually get a full tank reading of ~780 in the DTE). But strangely every tank fill will take in 42 Liters plus of fuel. I know the tank capacity is 45 Liters in the Figo. So isn't that not supposed to happen, that 42-43 liters go in with ~60 kms DTE reading? Last time DTE reading was 70 kms and the fuel that went in is 44.44 Liters

Is this normal, or should I be checking something here?

My average mileage is ~16 kmpl
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:13   #5314
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded
Guys, I've a query here.
I always follow the tankful to tankful method of filling diesel.

Normally I fill up fuel when the DTE shows around 60-70 Kms remaining (I usually get a full tank reading of ~780 in the DTE). But strangely every tank fill will take in 42 Liters plus of fuel. I know the tank capacity is 45 Liters in the Figo. So isn't that not supposed to happen, that 42-43 liters go in with ~60 kms DTE reading? Last time DTE reading was 70 kms and the fuel that went in is 44.44 Liters

Is this normal, or should I be checking something here?

My average mileage is ~16 kmpl
You sould verify the place from you are filling the diesel, if you refill when dte is at 60 then max 40 liters of diesel shoud go in.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:09   #5315
BHPian
 
r_devakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 220
Thanked: 67 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Guys, I've a query here.
I always follow the tankful to tankful method of filling diesel.

Normally I fill up fuel when the DTE shows around 60-70 Kms remaining (I usually get a full tank reading of ~780 in the DTE). But strangely every tank fill will take in 42 Liters plus of fuel. I know the tank capacity is 45 Liters in the Figo. So isn't that not supposed to happen, that 42-43 liters go in with ~60 kms DTE reading? Last time DTE reading was 70 kms and the fuel that went in is 44.44 Liters

Is this normal, or should I be checking something here?

My average mileage is ~16 kmpl
As Mustang mentioned, you should check in some other fuel station to see if any issue with the quantity by the fuel station.

I always measure the mileage using Tank full method. I am getting 15 kmpl so far in the city drive (14.5 to 15.5 range). Yesterday, i have done the full tank. Before filling the DTE was 171 and i filled 33.38 ltr. If i calculate 171/11.62, it gives 14.7 which is close to the actual mileage.

After the tank full, the DTE was showing 746, which is 16.6 kmpl. From my observation so far is DTE is not accurate but showing a value close to the actual.

I have done 4200 KM so far and the car is 3 months old now.

Last edited by r_devakumar : 22nd September 2011 at 10:12. Reason: added the range of mileage...
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:57   #5316
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore/Mysore
Posts: 399
Thanked: 68 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Thanks Mustang. Any pointers on what should be looked at. The gears are really bad and it's almost impossible to shift from 1st to second smoothly. 2nd to third is even worst with the gear lever literally having to be forced.

I got the gears checked during the 10K service a few weeks back and they said that the cables were adjusted. Felt a little different for a few days but then back to square one.
I faced the same problem in my figo, and it was rectified at Lathangi ford.
You can check the details in my ownership thread here (Ford Figo diesel - 6 months Ownership experience)

The SA who attended to my problem was Mr.Murali.
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:18   #5317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 37
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Ok! I think I need some time getting used to the car before I decide on the FE. I had mentioned my DTE showed 543 when tanked up, after tanking up i had also reset the trip meter. Now the trip meter reads 435Km and the DTE reads 175, which effectively means the DTE of the vehicle is 610. Am assuming that my driving style has improved or that my car is showing a wrong figure to keep me happy (I love my car for that). Guys the question is, can it change so drastically, I mean within a single tank full?
Statement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:52   #5318
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 329
Thanked: 70 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

It can change with the change in the driving conditions. If you constantly do the same route at the same times/same traffic, then probably it will not very drastically. I have seen the DTE increase too or remain constant during certain times. It all depends on the most recent driving / fuel consumption pattern.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 13:08   #5319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanD View Post

My Figo's fog lamps stopped working after a few (less than 5) uses.. turned out to be Fuse blown issue. The replaced fuse lasted 2 seconds before it went puuff. Took it to service centre.. they (claim to have) *thoroughly* checked the circuitry and concluded it to be a mere fuse problem. Replaced the fuse.. this one lasted 5 minutes and then same fate.
Finally they did some troubleshooting and concluded that both left & right side fog lamps have become defective and need to be replaced under warranty. Am not sure if they've analysed the root cause correctly.

Anyone else here experienced blown fuses due to fog lamps ?
Yesterday, the fog lamp kit was replaced under warranty. SA informed that along with the lamps even the wiring has been replaced. The kit is back to working condition now.

After driving 300+ kms after the 1st service (ODO = 2800+), I started noticing higher engine noise at idling and at low rpms (prior to turbo kicking in). Sometimes the noise is comparable to that of a badly maintained indica cab. SA advised me to bring the vehicle today to get it checked by some Ford technicians arriving from Chennai. Got an update now stating that one of the Fuel Injectors need to be replaced and fuel quality may have caused the failure.

Can the service centre perform a quality check on the fuel by drawing out a sample from the fuel tank? (I've been doing tank-fulls much before quarter tank mark and been filling at the same IOC pump ever since delivery)

As far as I can think, following changes have happened .. either (or both) of which may have influenced the problem:
1) First service
2) High speed (140+ kmph) driving. After the 1st service, i stretched the car for about an hour considering it to have crossed the run-in period. Till then, all highway drives were within 85kmph occasionally touching 100kmph
scanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 13:33   #5320
BHPian
 
whitelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 202
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement View Post
Ok! I think I need some time getting used to the car before I decide on the FE. I had mentioned my DTE showed 543 when tanked up, after tanking up i had also reset the trip meter. Now the trip meter reads 435Km and the DTE reads 175, which effectively means the DTE of the vehicle is 610. Am assuming that my driving style has improved or that my car is showing a wrong figure to keep me happy (I love my car for that). Guys the question is, can it change so drastically, I mean within a single tank full?
Let me share my experience, After delivery up to 611 KM I haven't kept any records, did a Tankfull at that Reading and reseted Trip meter. After about 908 on trip I did First TankFull total fillup upto that was 45.57 it gave me 19.9 KMPL reseted trip. Second tankfull was at 1109 on trip and Total fillup up to that was 60 lts it gave me FE of 18.5 but in between car was with S.C. for 2.5K service and I noticed that some morons there were sitting in car with idling and AC on, I dont know how long they were doing like that. As of Today Trip is showing 412 and DTE 345 (Total 757). For past week I am keeping daily record of Trip + DTE and Drive pattern, to have a proper driving style and to know what is good or bad for FE. I will share this data after one or two tankfulls for Other BHPians to Comment on.

As of today I feel that Figo don't like short journeys, 1st/2nd gear usage and stop & go situations. In these drives DTE drops drastically compared to Long and constant speed journeys in 4th and 5th gear. In 3rd gear it maintains with Trip meter. So I am trying to move to 3rd gear as soon as possible and I am finding Trip+DTE figures are getting better and better day by day. Week ago Trip+DTE was 693 and today its 757, off course there were two 50/60 KM to & fro trips were there and majority gain was in those two trips. Similarly I am trying to keep RPM between 1500 to 2000 and shift gears accordingly, also trying to remember engine sound at those RPMs so that later it becomes a reflex action. My current ODO is 3040 hope I achieve best driving style by 5K on odo.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 23:39   #5321
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 508
Thanked: 301 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
You sould verify the place from you are filling the diesel, if you refill when dte is at 60 then max 40 liters of diesel shoud go in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
As Mustang mentioned, you should check in some other fuel station to see if any issue with the quantity by the fuel station.
Thanks fellas.

I've tried from 2 different pumps. At the one I frequent the most, it would be ~ 43 liters when the DTE is around 70. Hence I tried a new pump last time and voila, it took in 44.44 Liters with the same DTE reading of ~ 70. Will try another pump next time. Not sure what is happening here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scanD View Post
After driving 300+ kms after the 1st service (ODO = 2800+), I started noticing higher engine noise at idling and at low rpms (prior to turbo kicking in). Sometimes the noise is comparable to that of a badly maintained indica cab. SA advised me to bring the vehicle today to get it checked by some Ford technicians arriving from Chennai. Got an update now stating that one of the Fuel Injectors need to be replaced and fuel quality may have caused the failure.
Sorry to hear about this. Can you check out which injector exactly has developed the problem. I'm asking since 2 of them in my car has been replaced (Cylinder 1 & 3). The exact same injectors have been replaced in RGK's car here. Just want to check if it's the same case with your's. Anyways this is no good news for the Figo owners and yeah they blamed the fuel quality in my case too. The only difference is that in my car, the idling noise seemed to have increased a bit AFTER the injector replacements

Last edited by jayded : 22nd September 2011 at 23:43.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:15   #5322
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,312
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I've tried from 2 different pumps. At the one I frequent the most, it would be ~ 43 liters when the DTE is around 70. Hence I tried a new pump last time and voila, it took in 44.44 Liters with the same DTE reading of ~ 70. Will try another pump next time. Not sure what is happening here.
IMO, there is nothing to worry.

Usually the fuel tank capacity is ~45L, and the pipes, et all take in an additional couple of liters. I suspect the pump guy would be filling it up to the brim, hence the additional liters.

If you are suspecting the pump, then ask them to fill in a liter in a bottle. You will know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I suggest you visit lathangi ford at any day ...
... Also you can meet mr. Swaroop at lathangi service and ask him to get your car checked thoroughly by the best guy.
Are we starting off in the wrong foot almost always? . but then...

Well, regarding Lathangi Ford, I do not have a high opinion of them.

1. Once I went there with an exceptionally high idling problem. I suspected the IACV, as did they, and quoted me 8k . Labour + part cost. I turned down the offer, and went ahead to another FNG to clean it.

Well, the funny part is the problem was solved BY ME by plugging in the EGR pipe, back into its slot. Zero bucks spent.

2. Went to them with a complaint of AC condenser switching off and on intermittently. I was asked to replace the condenser, and if problem is not solved, the AC Relay.

Problem was solved by replacing the evaporator coil, and refilling the leaked refrigerant. Actually, it was the low refrigerant pressure that was causing the issue.

After these.. I NEVER REFER anyone to Lathangi Ford.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd September 2011 at 04:29.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:29   #5323
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 508
Thanked: 301 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
IMO, there is nothing to worry.

Usually the fuel tank capacity is ~45L, and the pipes, et all take in an additional couple of liters. I suspect the pump guy would be filling it up to the brim, hence the additional liters.

If you are suspecting the pump, then ask them to fill in a liter in a bottle. You will know.
Only the latest fill was done without the auto-cut off since the feature was not working there. At the other pump (where it fills around 43 liters), its on auto-cutoff. Anyways I guess I'll get them to fill in a bottle and check if there is any major difference in quantity. It's a fairly reputed pump in the city though. Let's see!
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:37   #5324
BHPian
 
whitelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 202
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Only the latest fill was done without the auto-cut off since the feature was not working there. At the other pump (where it fills around 43 liters), its on auto-cutoff. Anyways I guess I'll get them to fill in a bottle and check if there is any major difference in quantity. It's a fairly reputed pump in the city though. Let's see!
Jayded, you are filling when DTE shows 70 KM it doesn't mean that for every 70 KM reading on DTE there is equal amount of fuel left in tank since DTE depends on recent driving data. If we presume FE variation between 15 KMPL to 20 KMPL then for 70 KM DTE fuel left in tank arithmetically varies from 4.6 to 3.5 lit actual calculation of DTE might be more complex that this simple division. Somebody at S.C. told me that DTE is calculated by deducting some reserve quota for additional factor of safety IMO 3/4 lit diff in refill quantity is tolerable. To me what is important is tankfull to tankfull FE when filled up to brim, I dont rely on auto cutoff feature of pumps. I take DTE as very broad guide line for FE and do tank full when Dash meter reaches 1/4 tank and dont bother about amount of fuel filled in. However I record Fuel filled in and calculate FE then start thinking about how can I improve that if its comparatively lower side for Drive pattern and usage AC from last tank full, thats all.

Continuously Observing DTE+Trip reading for various drive patterns helps in improving Driving style for Figo. Every time I calculate (DTE+Trip)/40 which fairly equals the Final Tank full to tank full FE, similarly I compare gain in Trip and drop in DTE. If I notice any disproportionate change in values I try different driving style for similar Pattern and adopt better of them. This way my driving style and FE figure is improving with every tank full. As of today my ODO is 3000KM and FE figures are 18.7 and 19.9 for recent tank fulls. The current (DTE+Trip)/40 figure is 19, let me see what FE figure turns out to be after next tank full.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:46   #5325
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Thanks fellas.
...
Sorry to hear about this. Can you check out which injector exactly has developed the problem. I'm asking since 2 of them in my car has been replaced (Cylinder 1 & 3). The exact same injectors have been replaced in RGK's car here. Just want to check if it's the same case with your's. Anyways this is no good news for the Figo owners and yeah they blamed the fuel quality in my case too. The only difference is that in my car, the idling noise seemed to have increased a bit AFTER the injector replacements
He mentioned Injector#2. About the Noise.. I didn't notice any reduction in the noise after the repairs.. but the SA vouched that they could hear a remarkable difference. Finally i stopped arguing stating that i will conclude the result after checking it in a quiet place.

Now i don't know what else they will fiddle with when i take it back for the same complaint

Wonder what would be the cost of ownership in the absence of warranty. Within first 3000 kms, they've replaced Fog Lamp kit (worth 3500) and 1 injector (worth 12000 !!). Seeing my reaction to the cost of injector, the SA advised me to purchase 4th year warranty.
scanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India Night Raven Technical Stuff 27 20th September 2016 16:25
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 863 15th August 2016 14:07
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched RavenAvi The Indian Car Scene 719 9th November 2015 03:04
Supposed spyshots of next gen Ford Figo surface JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 73 13th February 2015 14:43
My 1st diesel: Diamond white Ford Figo ZXI. Interior Pics on Pg 3 sameerg001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 9th June 2014 02:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:46.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks