Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th October 2011, 12:52   #5446
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Everybody say it is a good car. But wildsdi5530's posting is not giving satisfactory service and some problem went away and new problems come.In fact the company and its products are good. Is it not something wrong with the service provider where he went in Bangalore.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 12:54   #5447
BHPian

To Pune Figo owners.

Has anyone tried both Planet Ford and Talera for service of the car? If yes, how do they compare? I had bought mine from Planet Ford but find it too far to go for service
(I live in PCMC area). Talera is much closer to me.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 13:08   #5448
BHPian

@navan49, I agree that the company and it's products are good. I just mean that the service people are not knowledgable nor interested in doing a good job. A car delivered post service with smudges on the paint work, grease on the seats and door trim and finger prints on the windshield is not good service. This is with many service centers. I'm speaking from experience in Honda Bangalore, Honda Chennai, Ford Madurai and Ford Tirunelveli.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 09:14   #5449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
Everybody say it is a good car. But wildsdi5530's posting is not giving satisfactory service and some problem went away and new problems come.In fact the company and its products are good. Is it not something wrong with the service provider where he went in Bangalore.
Company = Product + Service.

In this case product is ++ and service has been -- (atleat my exp). So i would rate the overall as OK. My honda exp has been far better in terms of service even though it is more expensive.
rohing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 14:44   #5450
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Your point is true sir. This may be due to the service provider's poor capability.
My observation so far is, Ford has not completely updated the "error dictionary" to all the SC's with respect to Figo. Most of the attempts are "Trial & Error" methods which lead to various new problems.

@wildsdi5530 - The cost of fuel filter seems to be more the Oil. My advice would be to take the car to the SC (the same SC if you are OK) and explain them clearly and get it rectified. (Convincing them will be a Herculean task). Better to fix it as early as possible to avoid "out of warranty" problems.

Last edited by RGK : 17th October 2011 at 14:45.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 20:38   #5451
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Just thought of sharing here that I had written to Ford on the email address provided on their website a few weeks back but I hadn't recieved any response. It was then that I chanced upon another email address that was shared by one of our fellow Bhpians "diesel_lover" on another thread & the same email was also directed to this new found address.

Just got a reply today from Michael Boneham.

Below is the email I wrote with the sole intention that the issues being reported in an otherwise good car should be taken care of by Ford & also that the attitude of their dealerships should be kept in check as most people have reported getting vague or even rubbish replies to their problems.

My email is:
Quote:
Hi Michael!

How do you do? I hope my email finds you in the best of health & spirits.

I write this email to highlight some important issues that I have come to know of, & very honestly, it's because of these issues that I seem to be losing faith in Ford even before I could own one.

This is specific to your small car Figo & as you may already be aware, it is the diesel variant that is the more popular version in my country. To start with, let me list down the positives of your product out of my drives that I have undertaken in a friend's Figo. The car drives well & handles even better, & brings a smile to my face. I love the diesel engine sound & so it's not a botheration for me though some people seem to prefer the other brands solely because of the higher decibel levels of your TDCi motor, especially in comparison to the Fiat 1.3 multijet diesel motor.

The car feels solid, & better built than the Suzuki Swift, though Tata Vista still feels much more solid. Even the interiors feel better in the Vista. But this is not an area about which I or most consumers in India are concerned about as a priority. To tell you the truth, most people I have spoken to need or desire a car that is reliable & tough first, fancy & flashy later. However, it is regretful to inform you that the Figo seems to be "plagued" with minor & major issues alike for most people. And to give you an example, my friend's Figo snapped the engine timing belt within the first 10000 kms, & this happened all of a sudden while he was driving on the highway at sedate speeds of about 80 KMPH. This is the first time in my life that I have ever heard of such an issue.

Another very common issue is that of fogging in the headlamps & though this issue is minor, it is certainly not expected to crop up in a car for which you have paid your hard earned money. I mean, if Ford feels that quality comes at a price then they should either stop production or declare beforehand to a customer that this is the kind of quality Ford can provide at the current price.

The worse part is the way Ford dealerships/workshops handle people & the Figos that come to them for repairs or routine services. To quote an instance, a gentleman who reported the fogging issue was told that this is a common phenomenon & happens in all cars right from the cheapest to the most expensive & he was particular to quote some high prestige brands like Bentley. Now, with your experience & intellect I think I need not elaborate on this further, as you may already be finding this attitude disgusting.

It is only to keep the email concise & because the sole intention is to drive home a point that Ford needs to work on it's product, that I am not listing other issues. I hope, you would take due consideration of my email & look personally into the said issues & the others that have been bothering Figo owners in my country.

Michael, just to emphasize, let me put it another way for you. You have a good car in the form of the Figo, but you & your company need to make sure that it stays "good".

Take care.

PS: I had written this email earlier also using my alternate email address & directed to the address provided on Ford India website i.e. write2md@ford. But it was surprising & confidence shattering to not hear from anybody despite the fact that I could well be a prospective customer who is also trying to help the company identify issues in their product being reported/faced in the market.
The reply I got was:
Quote:
Prakhar, thanks very much for your email and your thoughts about our Figo, and the opportunities we have to improve on our after sales service. I appreciate your candid feedback, and I'm sorry that no-one had gotten back to you on your prior email. Prakhar, I believe very strongly that we can convince you that the Figo is by far the best Value for Money vehicle available in the market, and , that once we've done that we can also provide you with outstanding service! I would like our V.P Sales, Mr. Raja, to contact you and I'm sure after a discussion with him you will be satisfied that purchasing a Figo is absolutely the right decision! again, thanks for your email, and Raja will be in touch, best regards, Michael
Following this, I also got a reply from Mr. Raja as below:
Quote:
Hi Prabhakar,

Please do let me know your contact nos and when you will be able to take our call. We wish to take forward your discussion points and feedback.Also, we would be surely interested to see you as one of our valued customer.

Thanks
N.Raja
Vice President - Sales
Ford India Ltd., Chennai
I am not a Figo owner but I some how felt compelled to write to the concerned authorities to try & make them pay attention to problems being faced with my fellow countrymen who have bought this product with their hard earned money.

I am planning to have a call with Mr. Raja tomorrow or day after. Just want to seek everybody's inputs about what all can be discussed in a brief call in terms of key problem areas that require attention. I am not sure what they plan on doing however, I want to give it a shot at least.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 22:06   #5452
BHPian

^^ Thats some encouraging news. For the start ask him to refer what Figo owners say about their cars on Ford Figo facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/FordFigo?sk=app_2373072738
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 23:37   #5453
BHPian

@RGK the fuel filter assay is more expensive than oil. Also billing is centralized.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 00:00   #5454
Senior - BHPian

back fire,
You did a good job for the fellow car owner. In fact all the companies are asking feed back in their website or you or we can find the mail ID in their support or service page. Once we take it to their notice,the companies will take care and squeeze the Service center people.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 00:20   #5455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Just want to seek everybody's inputs about what all can be discussed in a brief call in terms of key problem areas that require attention. I am not sure what they plan on doing however, I want to give it a shot at least.
Drive safe.
Like you know, the niggles are too many. Ranging from the minor rattles to major engine stalling, timing belt snapping etc.
One request I would like to put forward is for Ford India to acknowledge the engine stalling issue rather than let their A.S.S. dismiss it every time saying that it could not be reproduced in a test drive. The issue needs to be seriously dealt with and a solution proposed asap in the form of a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and owners called in to get it rectified. This should be more of a proactive step from Ford.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 02:40   #5456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I am planning to have a call with Mr. Raja tomorrow or day after. Just want to seek everybody's inputs about what all can be discussed in a brief call in terms of key problem areas that require attention. I am not sure what they plan on doing however, I want to give it a shot at least.

Drive safe.
Good to know that Ford has taken note of your feedback. If I may suggest, please also direct Mr. Raja to this thread for a complete list of the issues that are faced by Figo owners, including that of the engine stalling.

Please let us know the outcome/attitude of Ford once you have spoken with them as well.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 11:10   #5457
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Good work blackfire. Also nice to note a typical reply. I think it would be better to have the call with an existing Figo owner (especially guys who face engine stalling) with VP-Sales and pull VP-Service into the call.

Please do reiterate that Figo has to become a product of better quality. Also emphasize that VFM does not mean mediocre quality.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 11:29   #5458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded

Like you know, the niggles are too many. Ranging from the minor rattles to major engine stalling, timing belt snapping etc.
One request I would like to put forward is for Ford India to acknowledge the engine stalling issue rather than let their A.S.S. dismiss it every time saying that it could not be reproduced in a test drive. The issue needs to be seriously dealt with and a solution proposed asap in the form of a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and owners called in to get it rectified. This should be more of a proactive step from Ford.
Please do highlight the headlight issue. Please ask the resolution for existing figo owners on the same.

Also can u ask why certain ford are charging the old costs for the new fog lamp kit . Case in point: Rajshree ford coimbatore. They insist they only have one kit - switch, wiring et al even though 2011 figos have all this already built in.

Can u also ask abt plans to open new dealerships in 2012. The existing coverage is poor and lack of competitions leads to the attitude prob in SC. Esp in tier 2/3 cities.
rohing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 19:57   #5459
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from ford team today morning. The customer care manager at my service centre was on con call. This was response to a one liner on their face book page stating that i have been bitten hard by the engine stall bug.

Even if they dont seem to have a remedy for this i appreciate their pro active response to even small updates.

One thing i really dont appreciate is that they are not willing to accept the fact that quite a number of people are having the same complaint. Maybe their business sense work out that way.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 22:24   #5460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Got a call from ford team today morning. The customer care manager at my service centre was on con call. This was response to a one liner on their face book page stating that i have been bitten hard by the engine stall bug.

Even if they dont seem to have a remedy for this i appreciate their pro active response to even small updates.

One thing i really dont appreciate is that they are not willing to accept the fact that quite a number of people are having the same complaint. Maybe their business sense work out that way.
Exactly!! Today I had to go to the service center for something I want to sort out before I go for a long drive and the RSM was there there. He tells me that ford has found the solution to my issue and changing the ECU and firmware is solution for my car only and that he cannot comment about other cars and refused to comment about the other owners facing the issue and told me that I am the only one he knows with such an issue!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote