Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th December 2011, 23:50   #5776
BHPian

Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Please let me know if anyone has the cost of fixing the tilt steering.
rohing, I dont know if this would involve the airbag/steering wheel cost as well. But I have seen, atleast in US, regular steering wheel assembly being replaced by one with tilt. But most of these are DIY projects. So I think it would be really surprising, if you can get it done at the ford workshop. But I somehow feel that the cost would be exorbitant.
askids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 20:43   #5777

For one year, i have been following this particular thread, silently. And now, I just booked a Titanium Diesel trim. Confirmed that it has tilt steering and usb port. So probably in a week, I wil join your league!
frmneo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 23:46   #5778

I have been following this thread quite a while now, and it's time to contribute.
My Figo Petrol Titanium is 13 months old now, and I've clocked 23000 kms already. I drive atleast 10 kms in Chennai everyday (I don't stay very far from office) and do Chennai-Pondy ECR trips (I am originally from Pondy) almost 3 weekends in a month. Apart from these, I have done a few other trips outside Pondy or Chennai; two of them that are worthy of mention are the hill trips to Yercaud and Kodai.

Now, to tell you of my experience with Figo, I should say it's been really awesome. City driving is a pleasure, since I don't remember having to get down to 1st gear anytime and in the worst of Chennai traffic! Highway driving has also been splendid and very fuel efficient. I get around 13 kmpl in city and around 17 kmpl on highways.

The car has always been very stable at high speeds. I have clocked over 100 kmph regularly on some of the ECR stretches (not advisable if you are not an ECR-regular). However, this I have to say: there is a vast difference in terms of FE when you rip your Figo at more than 120kmph. I have derived the best of FE at regular speeds of 90 to 120 kmph.

About hill driving, my first trial was at Yercaud and I was a tad disappointed, only to later realize that it was my driving that didn't have what it takes to drive the hills (that was my first ever attempt at the hills). My more recent and second attempt was at Kodai, and man, what should I say about this? This time, I was more concerned about getting my driving right, but the car was just working wonders. We (4 of us) decided to drive up the hills at night. We left Palani at about 11 pm and reached Kodai at about 1.30 pm with a half hour break midway (relishing the drizzle and the darkness). I drove half way and a friend drove the other half. Both of us were absolutely thrilled at what this petrol engine could do up the hills. We stopped talking about this only when we spotted quite a few Tata Nano's when we woke up in the morning.
Yesterday, I had the 20000 km service done on my car, and I had to pay 3600 bucks (this was in Pondy; doesn't seem too high considering that other people on this thread have had to pay around 4500).
Otherwise, I don't think there's a need to repeat those things that everyone knows - the powerful AC, the magnanimous boot space and the more-than-enough leg room both front and rear, etc.)

Ain't I happy with this one, man?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited to remove references to high speed and dangerous driving. Please read the rules before posting further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th December 2011 at 11:16.
judesat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 11:59   #5779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Boneham had said in an open house discussion had said better headlamps will be made available. But the guys at service centre have no clue about this.

The link - Open-House Discussion with Michael Boneham, President and MD, Ford India | Driving Ford
Quote:
A query for the recent Figo owners. Are you happy with the headlamp illumination?

One common grouse with the older Figo owners was the poor headlamp illumination.
Mr Boneham in a recent open house discussion had said the newer Figos are coming the headlamps which have better illumination. The same is available for existing owners to replace at the cost of Rs110/- per piece. The wattage etc remains the same, but said to have better illumination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hey guys

My first post here! Has anyone got the new headlamps supposedly offered by Ford?? I wanted to know if they are any better than the stock ones.
I got my headlamps changed to the so called "higher illumination" lamps last friday. The stock lamps of my car bought in May 2010 were Halonix. The new ones are from Phillips.
Cost is 222Rs for 2 lamps together and a 165Rs labour charge . Total of 387Rs.
Is it worth it? Well, Illumination is marginally better, may be about 10%. Dont expect any miracles.For 400Rs, probably there is nothing much to loose I suppose.

I feel I also need to check the headlamp alignment. The left one points down and right one points ahead. Is it suposed to be like that?

Edit : The spare headlamps provided with the car is some "Dela" from Osram India. Wonder if they are better than Halonix and Phillips?

Last edited by Deep Blue : 12th December 2011 at 12:03.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 12:37   #5780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got my headlamps changed to the so called "higher illumination" lamps last friday. The stock lamps of my car bought in May 2010 were Halonix. The new ones are from Phillips.
Do you know which philips model they are?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 12:42   #5781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Classic example of Ford India's service pricing behaviour/attitude.

Some one had asked Ford A.S.S why he cant change his bulbs himself. And if Ford will come to where ever he (even if on the highway) just to change a bulb. (I think it was Vid6639).

Critical parts, I can understand. But bulbs ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 13:04   #5782
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Classic example of Ford India's service pricing behaviour/attitude.

Some one had asked Ford A.S.S why he cant change his bulbs himself. And if Ford will come to where ever he (even if on the highway) just to change a bulb. (I think it was Vid6639).

Critical parts, I can understand. But bulbs ?
Actually they saw that I had upgraded my parking bulbs to white ones and my headlamps were changed to Philips Xtreme power. These are not stocked with Metro Ford. They keep only the Philips white bulbs which they charge 2K for.

They asked me how I changed the bulbs. When I told them I got the bulbs imported and fit them in myself, they tried telling me that these bulbs are not recommended and higher wattage may cause electrical issues so your warranty will be void. I said these are standard spec 55/60W as per the manual not upgraded wattage. Now they change the argument saying that fitting should be done by dealer to ensure it is done correctly. I told them spare bulbs are provided in the car and the manual mentions how to replace then why should I come and get it replaced at the workshop? Also if my headlight fuses on the highway do I need to call Ford and ask them to send someone to replace when the spare is given by Ford themselves. Final reply: No sir but please don't fit high wattage bulbs.

If your too nice with them they take you for a royal ride. As long as they know that your not someone they can take a for a ride, they behave.

Actually Deep Blue there was no need to pay that 165 for labour. It takes not more than 15-20mins for an amateur to replace both bulbs.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 13:11   #5783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That labour charge purely depends on the dealer. I got the OE bulbs changed in my car (4 of them) in my Fiesta and I was not charged any labour charges. In the Fiesta its quite a task to replace the bulbs
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 13:18   #5784
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hey guys

My first post here! Has anyone got the new headlamps supposedly offered by Ford?? I wanted to know if they are any better than the stock ones.
Go for Osram Nightbreaker +. Costs Rs.1150/- for a pair. But absolutely worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They asked me how I changed the bulbs..........
If your too nice with them they take you for a royal ride. As long as they know that your not someone they can take a for a ride, they behave.

Actually Deep Blue there was no need to pay that 165 for labour. It takes not more than 15-20mins for an amateur to replace both bulbs.
+1. I did not pay a single penny at TASS when they removed the Xtreme power and replaced it with Nightbreaker. The SA just looked at the wattage. However I was surpirsed that the bulb and holder assembly is so difficult to play around with (in Punto). The TASS guy spent almost 30 minutes.

Last edited by MCR : 12th December 2011 at 13:19.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 14:12   #5785

Actually these authorised service centres are finding many ingenious ways to milk the customers. That explains the 165/- caharged for just changing the bulbs. The motives are quite evident from the billing in many instances.
revmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 15:57   #5786
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know which philips model they are?
On the bulbs it is only written Phillips and the wattage. There was no extra product name.
Quote:

The whole thing was done in front of me. It hardly took 10mins. On the right side they had to unscrew and remove the coolant reservoir. That was the only extra thing to do, otherwise it was just plug in and out. All the more reason I was shocked. This despite the fact Cauvery ford came to know about the existence of such lamps only after I enquired with the President's desk.
I have written back to President's desk about the atrocious labor charges. Let me see if something happens.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 16:10   #5787
BHPian

Quote:
On the bulbs it is only written Phillips and the wattage. There was no extra product name.

The whole thing was done in front of me. It hardly took 10mins. On the right side they had to unscrew and remove the coolant reservoir. That was the only extra thing to do, otherwise it was just plug in and out. All the more reason I was shocked. This despite the fact Cauvery ford came to know about the existence of such lamps only after I enquired with the President's desk.
I have written back to President's desk about the atrocious labor charges. Let me see if something happens.
Apologies if I missed discussion on this. Are they changing only the bulbs or bulb+reflector?

I understood earlier it's the reflector design which is being improved. If it's only bulb, then they are not fixing the root cause. May be that's why there is only marginal improvement.
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 16:51   #5788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
Got 30000 km service done at Metro Ford, St Marks Road. Left car in the morning. Afternoon SA called and told brake pads(cost around 5k) need to be replaced. I thought of taking a second opinion before going for replacement. Can it be replaced under warranty? Isn't 30k km too less for brake pad replacement?

Everyone

my sister's ZXI has been making noises (while braking) from the front for some time. I told her to get it examined and as I suspected the brake pads need replacement (car has done 30k+, and my sister is not too nice on the brakes).

Now the service center guys are quoting close to Rs. 5k for the replacement - does it make sense? I looked at the rotors and they look fine, also the service center guys didn't recommend any changes to the rotors either.

Also, is there an option of replacing these with non-Ford pads (e.g. Bosch)? How would that effect the warranty?
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 16:55   #5789
RGK
Senior - BHPian

The purpose of spare bulb is to fit in case of emergencies during nights and it is clearly given in the manual how to do it.
Surprised to see the questions from the SC.
Need to remove the coolant reservoir on the left side. Just remove the clip, the bulb comes out. Replace with the new bulb. Better do it in a day light and when the engine is cool. A simple DIY task.

There is definitely an improvement with Philips -60/55W (I use Philips extreme power - yellow), but need to go for 100/90W for good performance.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 17:07   #5790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
my sister's ZXI has been making noises (while braking) from the front for some time. I told her to get it examined and as I suspected the brake pads need replacement (car has done 30k+, and my sister is not too nice on the brakes).

Now the service center guys are quoting close to Rs. 5k for the replacement - does it make sense? I looked at the rotors and they look fine, also the service center guys didn't recommend any changes to the rotors either.

Also, is there an option of replacing these with non-Ford pads (e.g. Bosch)? How would that effect the warranty?
Vina - I think 5k is expensive for brake pads. At 30k+ km's, Figo's suspension, brake pad's, disk's warranty is over (or about to be over at 35k). So there is not much to be voided for using non OE brake pads. I am not sure if Figo brake pads are available in the market. They should be if old Fiesta one's are same. And I think they are different between Titanium and other variants (due to larger rotors in ABS models).
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote