Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 11:05   #6121
BHPian
 
Figopian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 348
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

My Figo is giving some noise from below the car if I drive it on a slightly rough road. The noise is something I used to get in my Xeta when the hub alignment was incorrect. Not sure what is happening here, it could well be in suspension as well. Any suggestions for doing some quick checks before I go to Ford service station on Saturday?
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 11:14   #6122
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 1,131 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
My Figo is giving some noise from below the car if I drive it on a slightly rough road. The noise is something I used to get in my Xeta when the hub alignment was incorrect. Not sure what is happening here, it could well be in suspension as well. Any suggestions for doing some quick checks before I go to Ford service station on Saturday?
"some noise" is vague, can you give us more details of what the sound is like? Some suspension noise is normal, some other types of noises are not normal. On a rough road, how fast were you going? How rough was the road?

In this thread, go back to around June 2010. There was a lot of discussion around suspension noise.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 11:31   #6123
BHPian
 
Figopian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 348
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
"some noise" is vague, can you give us more details of what the sound is like? Some suspension noise is normal, some other types of noises are not normal. On a rough road, how fast were you going? How rough was the road?

In this thread, go back to around June 2010. There was a lot of discussion around suspension noise.
The noise is more like a metal bouncing on metal. The one you would get if you hit a metal rod on another metal rod. Even if the road is slightly rough (Concrete road) I hear the noise no matter at what speed I drive. It started a couple of weeks back and I guess it's increasing or maybe that I am getting more and more irritated about it! I will check more on this thread for the suspension noise.
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 11:42   #6124
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 1,131 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
The noise is more like a metal bouncing on metal. The one you would get if you hit a metal rod on another metal rod. Even if the road is slightly rough (Concrete road) I hear the noise no matter at what speed I drive. It started a couple of weeks back and I guess it's increasing or maybe that I am getting more and more irritated about it! I will check more on this thread for the suspension noise.
This metal-on-metal noise is not the same that was being discussed very early on in the Figo's product lifecycle.
Next question - is the sound coming from front or back? Can you quickly do a visual check of everything around the suspension to see if everything seems to be where it is supposed to be?
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 11:44   #6125
BHPian
 
DevilsCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 538
Thanked: 465 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
The noise is more like a metal bouncing on metal. The one you would get if you hit a metal rod on another metal rod. Even if the road is slightly rough (Concrete road) I hear the noise no matter at what speed I drive. It started a couple of weeks back and I guess it's increasing or maybe that I am getting more and more irritated about it!
Preparatory question
How old is your Figo? Is it petrol or diesel? How many KM has it run? Was any part changed? Like suspension or brake pads?

Now
1. Do you use your Figo once in few days? Or everyday?
2. Try to notice if noise comes from outside or from dashboard.
DevilsCry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:13   #6126
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
It would be great if you could post a pic and the process of reaching and taking it out. Once i took out the glove box only to find a fuse box behind. I located that the blower unit is just behind the head unit, but couldn't locate the filter.
I dont have a camera at my disposal now. Might take time for the pic. You could check the plastic part that continues from the gear lever surround plastic console. The thing you see on the right side of the passenger footwell. I think that piece can be removed with a small screw driver. The filter should be placed inside there.

From behind the glovebox you can reach only the fusebox
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:41   #6127
BHPian
 
Figopian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 348
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Preparatory question
How old is your Figo? Is it petrol or diesel? How many KM has it run? Was any part changed? Like suspension or brake pads?

Now
1. Do you use your Figo once in few days? Or everyday?
2. Try to notice if noise comes from outside or from dashboard.
My Figo is a June 2010 model 1.4 TDCi with odo showing 25.5K, I use it everyday. I had changed the front brake calipers to get rid of the noise from brakes at alsow speed braking (which was a common phenomenon for Figos) Nothing changed in suspension. I tried to see if the noise comes from dashboard as some people have reported, but I don't think its from the dashboard, its from somewhere bottom, thats what I feel.
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 12:46   #6128
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Last time I checked, ZXi doesn't have switch for fog lamps. While installing fog lamps, the front bumper needs to be removed and the headlight switch is also changed.
Hmm, seems contrary to what some other Bhpians have reported. But I am planning on a visit to the dealer today & would check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
IMO, Headlight switch was changed only in the cars which were made in the first 2-3 months of the official launch. Installing fog lights+new switch used to cost around 5k. Mine being a Aug 2010 manufactured EXI, Installing fogs doesn't required the switch change and costed me 3k.

To check if the switch is compatible, turn the parking lights/headlights on and pull the switch toward yourself. It will slot in two stages. 1st one will light front fogs and 2nd one will light the rear fogs (N/A in figo even as an extra fitment). Indicators on the instrument console will also light up at the same time.
Thanks for the response mate & I think we can be sure of the presence of the fog light switch in the ZXi if you got it in your car in 2010. But just to be sure if it is present in 2012 models, I will check for it again today like you have mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark View Post
The headlamp switch has integrated notched for fog lamps. Pull one notch for front head lamps and two notches for rear fog lamps.
With regards to the relay for them, will have to check the car. Will be updating you on it soon.

Thanks for the information mate, however, what I understand after reading your post is that the fogs need a relay of some sort. Is this understanding correct? If yes, request you to check at the earliest & let me know if the relay is already present or one needs to add it.

@ALL: Also, what sort of relay is required for fog lamps? Is it some special kind & how much would it cost?
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:07   #6129
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 69
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hmm, seems contrary to what some other Bhpians have reported. But I am planning on a visit to the dealer today & would check it out.



Thanks for the response mate & I think we can be sure of the presence of the fog light switch in the ZXi if you got it in your car in 2010. But just to be sure if it is present in 2012 models, I will check for it again today like you have mentioned.




Thanks for the information mate, however, what I understand after reading your post is that the fogs need a relay of some sort. Is this understanding correct? If yes, request you to check at the earliest & let me know if the relay is already present or one needs to add it.

@ALL: Also, what sort of relay is required for fog lamps? Is it some special kind & how much would it cost?
Yes it surely needs relay, Will certainly check and let you know (if the relay is already present) by tomorrow.
pushkark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 14:03   #6130
BHPian
 
Figopian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 348
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Can you quickly do a visual check of everything around the suspension to see if everything seems to be where it is supposed to be?
I tried that but no luck. Maybe once the car is lifted up in the service station, it would be easier to check. Will update.
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 19:47   #6131
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 531
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I dont have a camera at my disposal now. Might take time for the pic. You could check the plastic part that continues from the gear lever surround plastic console. The thing you see on the right side of the passenger footwell. I think that piece can be removed with a small screw driver. The filter should be placed inside there.

From behind the glovebox you can reach only the fusebox
Thanks for the info. I will look whether i could remove the left hand side plastic shroud around the gear lever. IMO the filter should be there itself, because if its placed just behind the stereo/center console, one has to remove the entire dash to reach/service the filter.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 20:17   #6132
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
My Figo is giving some noise from below the car if I drive it on a slightly rough road. The noise is something I used to get in my Xeta when the hub alignment was incorrect. Not sure what is happening here, it could well be in suspension as well. Any suggestions for doing some quick checks before I go to Ford service station on Saturday?
Check if the problem is from wheel bearing. Recently in my 5 year old Swift (about 23000Km in Odo) I had such strange noise when the speed exceeds 20Km/hr... and it was increasing day by day. The noise stopped after changing this bearing.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 21:06   #6133
BHPian
 
DevilsCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 538
Thanked: 465 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I tried to see if the noise comes from dashboard as some people have reported, but I don't think its from the dashboard, its from somewhere bottom, thats what I feel.
Possibilities ranked from most probable to least probable-
1. Broken brake pad clip lying inside the caliper
2. A pebble stuck somewhere under the hood
3. A wheel-nut is loose

I don't agree with batman above. There's nothing wrong with your wheel bearing.
DevilsCry is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 21:28   #6134
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 629
Thanked: 447 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman

Check if the problem is from wheel bearing. Recently in my 5 year old Swift (about 23000Km in Odo) I had such strange noise when the speed exceeds 20Km/hr... and it was increasing day by day. The noise stopped after changing this bearing.
Wheel bearing noise is more apparent on good roads and the noise increases with speed.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 21:42   #6135
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 87
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
My Figo is giving some noise from below the car if I drive it on a slightly rough road. The noise is something I used to get in my Xeta when the hub alignment was incorrect. Not sure what is happening here, it could well be in suspension as well. Any suggestions for doing some quick checks before I go to Ford service station on Saturday?
Could be due to bad stabilizer bar links/bushings also. Ask the service centre for a thorough check of stabilizer bar assembly.

Last edited by Prass : 28th February 2012 at 21:56.
Prass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 869 6th December 2016 10:20
6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India Night Raven Technical Stuff 27 20th September 2016 16:25
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched RavenAvi The Indian Car Scene 719 9th November 2015 03:04
Supposed spyshots of next gen Ford Figo surface JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 73 13th February 2015 14:43
My 1st diesel: Diamond white Ford Figo ZXI. Interior Pics on Pg 3 sameerg001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 9th June 2014 02:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks