Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th March 2012, 19:32   #6211
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Hi!

Hope you remember me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I still pine for the Grande Punto though - dammit Fiat , if you'd offered the 90BHP motor in the Dynamic variant , I'd have more inclination to swing your way !
Indeed, I myself would have gone the 90HP way,
> Had it been cheaper
> The A.S.S wasn't taken care by Tata (we have a tough time with Safari & know their functioning over here, hence...)

But I find the Figo quite good and appears enclosed when compared to Jap/Korean counterparts. When I got mine, it retailed for 5.9L & the 90HP @ 7L. The Titanium D now retails for close to 6.5L, dunno about 90HP though, but feel the price of GP would have remained the same (dwindling sales figure being the culprit). The (pre) sales experience @ Fiat was very neat though & Ford was pathetic.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th March 2012 at 19:36.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 20:02   #6212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Hope you remember me?

Indeed, I myself would have gone the 90HP way,
> Had it been cheaper
> The A.S.S wasn't taken care by Tata (we have a tough time with Safari & know their functioning over here, hence...)

But I find the Figo quite good and appears enclosed when compared to Jap/Korean counterparts. When I got mine, it retailed for 5.9L & the 90HP @ 7L. The Titanium D now retails for close to 6.5L, dunno about 90HP though, but feel the price of GP would have remained the same (dwindling sales figure being the culprit). The (pre) sales experience @ Fiat was very neat though & Ford was pathetic.
Course dude, I remember ya !
Maharashtra govt taxes us lot, second only to Karnataka. OTR prices for the Titanium are 6.68L and Punto 90BHP is 7.94L (!) . The 75BHP Dynamic variant of the Punto is 6.89L , which matches the Titanium closest in trim/equipment levels - no airbags or alloy wheels, but then the Figo lacks split seats, rear AC vents and some of many smaller features of the Punto. I too hoped they offered discounts or had 2011 stock to sell on discount, but there's just one solitary Fiat dealer here, a monopoly - the Fiat Caffe is yet to open, and the salesman could not assure discounts , initially he said straight no discounts, later said he could talk to the dealer/manager for insurance discount. Even with that the 90BHP would still be much more expensive than the Figo Titanium.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 21:06   #6213
Senior - BHPian

Do we get after market fog lamps (bumper lamps not big Hella like) for Figo? OEM at 3.5 or 4K seems to be pretty expensive!

Is there any use of getting rear spoilers for figo other than looks? Even that seems to be pretty expensive! I dont think it will help anyways in performance since maximum speed i will drive may be 100 - 120 kmph. Just wanted to confirm with experts here
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 22:24   #6214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I took my car to the FASS on Saturday, apparently, it was some noise in the brake calliper that has vanished (so far so good...fingers crossed!) after they replaced the brake calliper under warranty.
So I was right when I said "broken brake pad clip lying inside the caliper".

It's strange that instead of fixing pad clip, they replaced entire caliper! Quite expensive for them (but good for you).

Quote:
They claim (!) that they checked front wheel bearings and shock absorbers and found no issue.
Why (!)? From my experience, I can say that your issue doesn't indicate any problem in wheel bearing and suspension at all. You can be assured that your issue is fixed for good.

Quote:
I had also complained about the alignment of my front Head Lamps. The right one has a focus a little below than the left one. The Service Engineer claimed that he tried adjusting it but if I feel its not good he will replace both side lamp assembly with a new one under warranty!! I found it has not satisfactory so sometime would go for a change. Any suggestions for changing the bulb? I do not want to go for a bulb which will require any additional wiring /adapters, etc.
Dude! Get the entire assembly changed under warranty! Your Figo has a wrong headlamp cluster design. If you change them, make sure that you get updated headlamp cluster (by checking if it was manufactured after Aug'11). Changing bulb will not improve visibility much even if alignment was correct. My Figo is from new batch and has updated headlamp cluster. The visibility is quite better than earlier Figo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Is there any use of getting rear spoilers for figo other than looks? Even that seems to be pretty expensive! I dont think it will help anyways in performance since maximum speed i will drive may be 100 - 120 kmph. Just wanted to confirm with experts here
Haha!

Hope you got my answer
DevilsCry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 10:53   #6215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
We have the Osram Nighbreakers already, audio system will evaluate after using if we want something better. For now, I am only thinking of sun control film, and read on this thread Llumar or Vkool is best ( but Vkool is also expensive ). The Ford brochure says "Laminated Glazed windscreen" - does this mean the windscreen is already pasted with a UV/IT block film, or is this a safety/shatter resistance film ?

Not planning for teflon sham ! Any other accessory recommendations ? The dealer is including floor mats for the interior + boot, nothing else.

TIA.
How do you already have the Osram Nightbreakers ? Do they come factory fitted?
rk206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 10:58   #6216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Dude! Get the entire assembly changed under warranty! Your Figo has a wrong headlamp cluster design. If you change them, make sure that you get updated headlamp cluster (by checking if it was manufactured after Aug'11). Changing bulb will not improve visibility much even if alignment was correct. My Figo is from new batch and has updated headlamp cluster. The visibility is quite better than earlier Figo's.

Of course I will. He did not replace it that day as I was planning to take the car on same day and it was too late. Will update if it really makes any difference.
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 11:07   #6217
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Congrats blackfire for your new black baby. Black is very difficult to maintain and I suffer a lot.

Now Titanium is the best VFM - comes 6.84L approx in TN. During my purchase Titanium was just 5.96L (without Alloys & USB).
Grey is better than Black and the metallic finish is better in Grey than all colours.

Never do a force wash of Engine bay. If it is needed ask the wash guy to lower the pressure of the nozzle (or hold the nozzle bit far from critical components) and do cleaning. It is always better to do engine wash in the FASS.

The car wash charges at FASS is 349/- nett and can be planned every quarter for better maintenance.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 12:13   #6218
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the wishes rgk!

I think I would stick to FASS for washing the new car especially since a couple of people have advised the same to me. Seems Figo could get into trouble if the engine washing part is not carried out carefully.

I would have loved to get the Titanium, but the budget constraints restrained me from going any further. Alloys are on my list & hopefully, by next year, I can get that done.

@ALL: I am finding the brakes inadequate in my car. Is it because I have always test-driven the Titanium version, which has bigger disks? To be honest, I feel that the brakes on my old Alto are better & much more confidence inspiring. The Figo feels like it's an elephant sitting on puny brakes trying to bring it to a halt. Any inputs here guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Congrats blackfire for your new black baby. Black is very difficult to maintain and I suffer a lot.

Now Titanium is the best VFM - comes 6.84L approx in TN. During my purchase Titanium was just 5.96L (without Alloys & USB).
Grey is better than Black and the metallic finish is better in Grey than all colours.

Never do a force wash of Engine bay. If it is needed ask the wash guy to lower the pressure of the nozzle (or hold the nozzle bit far from critical components) and do cleaning. It is always better to do engine wash in the FASS.

The car wash charges at FASS is 349/- nett and can be planned every quarter for better maintenance.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 14:01   #6219
BHPian

I have driven the Alto and Figo Extensively and can vouch for the brakes in figo. The Alto's brake fade to a very higher degree on the highway. Even the feel and bite isn't confidence inspiring. Figo's brakes on the other hand feels precise and effective though a bit more bite would be welcomed!

As for the engine bay wash, i strictly stop even the FASS guys to wash the engine because they use the same body wash pressure to wash the engine bay. Rather than falling into a break-down and seeing FASS raise their hands, i prefer the engine bay to remain as it is. Though i wipe it with wet cloth every month and it really works!
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:53   #6220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post

As for the engine bay wash, i strictly stop even the FASS guys to wash the engine because they use the same body wash pressure to wash the engine bay. Rather than falling into a break-down and seeing FASS raise their hands, i prefer the engine bay to remain as it is. Though i wipe it with wet cloth every month and it really works!
100% agree with you. Let me share my experience here. I had given my xeta for a wash and that person did wash engine bay and as well under body wash. After around 10 Kms of drive, I started getting foul smell, a little while after that smoke appeared from below my gear lever. I pressed a little to reach home. But the car stopped in between and I was unable to change gears!! The service centre guys towed my vehicle and then they found the bushings was completely burned (at the bottom of gear lever). They said the portion was washed with high pressure water spray from very close. Since that day, I do only external body wash if I have to do it from washing centres.
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 16:17   #6221
BHPian

Well, the TATA ASC is just 50 mtr away from where i live and i know about them very well. Once they asked me to bring a sachet of surf exel to wash the car. It was the most disgusting experience ever!
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 20:25   #6222
Senior - BHPian

I guess I will take the car once to the FASS for a brake checkup.

As for the engine bay wash, I would keep that in mind & make sure that I clean the engine bay myself ever so often so that it doesn't get extremely dirty. I believe the problem is more because of pressure washing & not water itself, so I am assuming it's safe to use a little water while cleaning the bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I have driven the Alto and Figo Extensively and can vouch for the brakes in figo. The Alto's brake fade to a very higher degree on the highway. Even the feel and bite isn't confidence inspiring. Figo's brakes on the other hand feels precise and effective though a bit more bite would be welcomed!

blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 20:32   #6223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

Is the whole cluster the problem? How does cluster design improve illumination?
Boneham had said on the net that higher illumination lamps have been made available to address complaints about illumination. He didnt say anything about cluster design.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 21:04   #6224
Senior - BHPian

I'm not too sure about figo specific issues, but thought I can comment only on the below. This is how the headlamps are aligned, the right one focussing a little lower than the left one in order to not blind the on-coming traffic on the opposite side for the RHD markets. This is the standard all manufacturers follow and I dont see anything wrong in this.

Of course the illumination and intensity of light is a different conversation altogether.

Quote:
I had also complained about the alignment of my front Head Lamps. The right one has a focus a little below than the left one.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 00:24   #6225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk206 View Post
How do you already have the Osram Nightbreakers ? Do they come factory fitted?
No, salvaged from the current drive. My dad loved the Nightbreaker so much, he's keeping them back for the Figo which is yet to arrive. No idea what factory bulbs are, but I haven't heard of premium bulbs being fit right from factory, it's usually the standard 60/55 ones.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote