Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 18:52   #6871
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik
Analysis paralysis- here i come.
You have calculated correctly on deciding for diesel or petrol. Also note that if you go for diesel, I am sure that you often drive more. Go for Figo Tdci, it is a good value for money car even exi or zxi. Initially I was leaning towards swift vdi, but I made wise decision to go for tdci titanium which will costs same as Swift vdi, but titanium offers loads of features than vdi. (if you have patience, wait till dussera or diwali to have face lifted Figo)
HighOctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 19:06   #6872
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pious_devil View Post
Hi blackfire,
Typically idle speed is controlled via a closed loop PID or some times PD controller. These are software algorithms and are dependent on hell lot of parameters like engine temperature, engine speed,engine off time, accelerator pedal etc. As far as I am aware of unlike gasoline , diesel doesn't have idle air by pass valve, rather it is controlled through the amount of fuel injected. So the idle speed hunting what you are seeing is the software over compensating or under compensating the amount of fuel injected to maintain the idle speed . If you don't suffer from mileage issue (partially blocked fuel injector would definitely cause idling problem) and since it doesn't happen after a minute my guess is its due to ECT sensor. It is from here the engine temperature is measured and some s/w strategy use this to infer engine off time. Get it checked for DTC and please update if you find anything.
Thanks a lot for this information buddy. I had a word with the manager at Harpreet's workshop & he said that its normal for an engine to do that especially when its cold. This could be a problem but only when it happens all the time or even when the engine is not cold. In my case, it happens only when the engine is cold, so I am assuming that nothing is wrong.

However, I have scheduled an appointment for the coming weekend to get the car scanned for any error codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
In my budget - only the Lxi is available and its barebones. Fine by me but wifey is an unwilling participant :(
She has a thing for the christmas tree arrangement of tail lights in the Figo - her reason for liking the Figo
On a serious note - ABS is my only must-have requirement and the Fiesta 1.6 Lxi doesn't have it. I think i will go for an exhaustive TD again for both the petrol and diesel Figo. My break even point seems to be 9k km/year over 5 years.
Factors considered -
Initial price difference (1.4 lakhs + approx 30k for interest for my loan)
Slightly higher service cost. (2800 vs 2200)
Maintenance (giving 10k diff over 5 years for the figo diesel)
Resale after 5 yrs (I am taking a difference of 1.1 lakhs after 5 years - based on the Swift VDI/VXI trend on carwale)
and mileage ofcourse (11/15 on Petrol and 15/18 on the diesel)
I have presumed that if i buy the diesel - i will take the car out more (approximately 1.5k km more per year)

Analysis paralysis- here i come.
If its a diesel that you decide on buying, then go ahead with any Ford without a hitch. But if its a petrol, then solely because of poor resale values associated with Fords, I would advice you to walk away.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 20:27   #6873
BHPian
 
vinucv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MAA / KTYM
Posts: 116
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig


Most of the cars in the showroom are hardly well maintained and ripped by customers from their very first day. Id suggest you TD a well maintained petrol. And you can cruise all day in triple digit speeds too. 100 to 120 it can cruise with efficient mileage(ive got upto 17.37kmpl). After that revs increase and your mileage figures are tossed out the window(as low as 10kmpl). You can comfortably do speeds in excess of 160kmph speedo indicated.

Cheers. !!
17.37kmpl !!! That's really interesting. I recently got a Figo petrol but yet to check the FE. Wish I could also get something close to this. Any tips to achieve this is really appreciated
vinucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 22:14   #6874
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 509
Thanked: 301 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
17.37kmpl !!! That's really interesting. I recently got a Figo petrol but yet to check the FE. Wish I could also get something close to this. Any tips to achieve this is really appreciated
Apart from the good driving techniques like avoiding sudden acceleration/braking by anticipating the traffic ahead, not over revving the engine, switching off at traffic signals etc., it would be difficult to get anything close to those figures. In moderate city traffic with A.C. on, 12-13 kmpl is what is realistic if your driving style is conservative, else you are looking at 10-11 kmpl.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 22:57   #6875
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 24
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik
Today i took the test drive of the Ford Figo (both petrol and diesel) along with 10 other vehicles! (12 hours on the road in different parts of Gurgaon - incredible sunday it was )
I am sold on the addictive handling of the Figo and have almost decided on buying it.
Mik, so many test drives in a single day is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations! Besides the figo, which were the other hatches that came close to the top in your list?
ajayc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 23:42   #6876
BHPian
 
MorePower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 106
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Steering issue after pothole hit!

Hi guys

It's been almost 2 months since I took possession of my white TDCI Titanium and I must say I have loved every minute of it.

Especially the handling of the car is simply superb. BUT much to my dismay, the notorious Mumbai roads (or rather the potholes) have struck.

Just yesterday, after having negotiated a stretch with heavy traffic in Thane, when I started pulling away, this monster of a pothole appeared out of the blue. The fact that it was pouring didn't help. If I had slammed the brakes then, the car right behind would surely have rammed me. In a split second decision, decided to drive on. And then, there was a terrible thud, I knew instinctively I had caused some damage to the car. The steering felt really limp. Didn't have the same feedback and kick from it. Inspected the car, the wheels and the undercarriage, no visible damage but I suspect the steering has taken a hit.

What could be the problem with the steering? I definitely feel it's not responding the same way it did earlier.

My first service is due in 3-4 days. Has anyone else experienced this issue before? How was it rectified?
MorePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 02:27   #6877
Mik
BHPian
 
Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: GGN>BLR
Posts: 354
Thanked: 288 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
You have calculated correctly on deciding for diesel or petrol. Also note that if you go for diesel, I am sure that you often drive more. Go for Figo Tdci, it is a good value for money car even exi or zxi. Initially I was leaning towards swift vdi, but I made wise decision to go for tdci titanium which will costs same as Swift vdi, but titanium offers loads of features than vdi. (if you have patience, wait till dussera or diwali to have face lifted Figo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
If its a diesel that you decide on buying, then go ahead with any Ford without a hitch. But if its a petrol, then solely because of poor resale values associated with Fords, I would advice you to walk away.
Thanks for the post. The general consensus seems to be that the Tdci is the more logical choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Mik, so many test drives in a single day is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations! Besides the figo, which were the other hatches that came close to the top in your list?
He he - I started at 8:15 in the morning and it was a "working" lunch!
The Cars i liked
1. The Figo diesel - The minimal turbolag-the chuckability - What fun!
2. Fiesta 1.6 -- Deadly and razor sharp. A bit unsettled ride i thought. The engine sound was awesome.
3. Figo Petrol - What fun! The topend being 5.2 on road is a big incentive too. Did feel a tad underpowered.
4. Micra Diesel - Zero turbo lag - Zero vibrations and rattles - But - no ABS and so so EPS.
5. Swift Petrol - Was surprised by the slight lag in throttle response initially. Almost felt like an MJD. Handling and ride is spot on but not as much fun as the Figo.
6. Micra Petrol - Decent performer and zero rattles. Competent enough.
7. Honda jazz - Big car like feel and drive. A bit of a slow mover at lower revs. The car felt inert to me.
8. i20 diesel - Beyond all the bells and whistles- its a hatch with lots of power, decent ride quality but hardly any steering feedback. Not fun.
9. Ritz VDI - MJD brings a smile@2k rpm. Otherwise there is not too much going for the car.
10. Honda Brio - Had big expectations from this. Put off by the bad ride quality- tacky "premium" beige interiors and lifeless handling.
11. a-star - Thought that this could be a cheap pocket rocket. Extremely buzzy engine and terrible over bad roads.
12. i10 - The car i wanted to park and let the SA drive. Beyond the pretty interiors it has a toy car like steering.Lovely engine but the tall boy characteristics didnt help. A word about the sales person though. The best of the lot. Not pushy and very helpful.

Had a taste of Fiat sales attitude. The guy didnt know his discounts and gave a lame excuse that the TD punto was away for service - on a sunday! When i could see it right outside parked in a corner. Was not impressed with the punto MJD 1.3 on a previous TD and the 1.4 Emo was my hope. Anyways - that thought is out of the window now.
Even went to the Beat showroom but the sales guy wanted his Sunday at 8:15 pm. I obliged :-)
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 10:26   #6878
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 887
Thanked: 484 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv

17.37kmpl !!! That's really interesting. I recently got a Figo petrol but yet to check the FE. Wish I could also get something close to this. Any tips to achieve this is really appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded

Apart from the good driving techniques like avoiding sudden acceleration/braking by anticipating the traffic ahead, not over revving the engine, switching off at traffic signals etc., it would be difficult to get anything close to those figures. In moderate city traffic with A.C. on, 12-13 kmpl is what is realistic if your driving style is conservative, else you are looking at 10-11 kmpl.
Please have a look at my earlier posts in the same thread. i posted my tankful to tankful figures and thats what the software calculated my mileage to be. Its a mix of city and highway driving. At first even i was sceptical but i keep getting similar figures. Ill post a screenshot again but the app keeps crashing. From my running however you can figure out that a diesel suits me very well. But i bought the petrol due to price advantage and no clatter


Name:  ForumRunner_20120710_102529.png
Views: 2771
Size:  113.8 KB

This i what i had posted earlier.
Regards
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 11:05   #6879
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 509
Thanked: 301 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Please have a look at my earlier posts in the same thread. i posted my tankful to tankful figures and thats what the software calculated my mileage to be. Its a mix of city and highway driving. At first even i was sceptical but i keep getting similar figures.

This i what i had posted earlier.
Regards
Thanks for the screenshot. When you say it's a mix of city and highway run, does it mean everyday you commute on a particular combined stretch or just random city & highway separately? If it's everyday, same route, could you mention as to how many kms each of Highway and city and your normal commute timings? And is this with or without AC?

And lastly, are you sure your's is not a petrol, could you check under the hood? Naah, I'm just kidding. Good figures though.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 12:40   #6880
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 887
Thanked: 484 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded
? If it's everyday, same route, could you mention as to how many kms each of Highway and city and your normal commute timings? And is this with or without AC?

And lastly, are you sure your's is not a petrol, could you check under the hood? Naah, I'm just kidding. Good figures though.
Mine is random commute. Like within the city i usually travel around 20 to 30kms mostly unless its an airport run and thats around 60kms.during the day. Only city usually gives me 12kmpl or less.

I usually require 10litres to cover a total of 170kms including 120kms highway and 50kms city driving and thats pushing for every drop of petrol. And upto 100kmph speeds. This ive seen by just filling 10litres of petrol in an almost empty tank with the fuel low indicator beeping and DTE 0kms.
Highways are usually very sunny so require the ac all the time as i drive with windows closed.
My driving time would be morning 9 till evening upto 10 or even 11pm with gaps in between as i move from place to place. At night i do have to keep the ac on to prevent misting of my windshield as i drive with windows closed. Or else if i keep the windows open the drag will eventually eat into the mileage.

And i drive sedately keeping the revs upto 2500rpm not more than that most of the time.

My Honda city also gives me 11kmpl in city and 16kmpl on not so good highways. Hopefully it should improve in the expressways. Will check this in a few days.

Hope this is helpful.

These are not daily commutes but these are the only times i take my car out and rest of the time i let the auto driver worry about the roads.

And no i dont need to check under the hood. The clatter of a tdci can be heard loud and clear. Ratatatat probably the reason why i didnt go for a tdci.


Cheers!!
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 14:22   #6881
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 509
Thanked: 301 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Thanks a lot for the detailed post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Only city usually gives me 12kmpl or less.
This is the figure I have been quoting for a long time now. I again would like to mention, for a normal city usage, 11-12 is what you will get from a Figo P. Highway drive, mixed drive, is another topic.

Quote:
This ive seen by just filling 10litres of petrol in an almost empty tank with the fuel low indicator beeping and DTE 0kms.
I would advise you not to do this much often. Running your car with such low level of fuel can cause damage to your fuel pump. It's advisable to refuel around the DTE 50.

Quote:
And no i dont need to check under the hood. The clatter of a tdci can be heard loud and clear. Ratatatat probably the reason why i didnt go for a tdci.
!
I think I should name mine, Ratatouille.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 18:40   #6882
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 591
Thanked: 183 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Few days back I saw a figo with front bumper crash guards ! It looked good however not sure how much it would really protect the bumber and bonnet. Any idea where in Bangalore it is available and cost?
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 09:50   #6883
BHPian
 
kart19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 42
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra
Few days back I saw a figo with front bumper crash guards ! It looked good however not sure how much it would really protect the bumber and bonnet. Any idea where in Bangalore it is available and cost?
Well the metal ones(if you are referring to them) are usually mounted onto the chassis. Hence, in the event of a collision, the force is transferred directly to the chassis instead of the body/bumper which is designed to crumble and absorb the impact. It is better to deal with exterior damage than chassis damage. Experts correct me if I'm wrong.
kart19 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 10:59   #6884
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra
Few days back I saw a figo with front bumper crash guards ! It looked good however not sure how much it would really protect the bumber and bonnet.
If your car is Titanium, you need to avoid crash guards as the airbags may not deploy in case of an accident. Also crash guards injures severely if a pedestrian gets a hit. Also above post by "Kart19" is also valid reason for not to have these.
Usually crash guards/ bull bars looks good with SUVs and MUVs and if you really likes them, you may find these plenty at Car Accessory shops in JC Road & Mission Road.

Last edited by HighOctane : 11th July 2012 at 11:09.
HighOctane is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 14:49   #6885
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 591
Thanked: 183 Times
Default re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
If your car is Titanium, you need to avoid crash guards as the airbags may not deploy in case of an accident. Also crash guards injures severely if a pedestrian gets a hit. Also above post by "Kart19" is also valid reason for not to have these.
Usually crash guards/ bull bars looks good with SUVs and MUVs and if you really likes them, you may find these plenty at Car Accessory shops in JC Road & Mission Road.
Point taken.

Mine is a titanium. I definately do not want one for looks. Safety comes first and then looks. Anyways appreciate the inupts.
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 869 6th December 2016 10:20
6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India Night Raven Technical Stuff 27 20th September 2016 16:25
The next-gen 2015 Ford Figo. EDIT: Now launched RavenAvi The Indian Car Scene 719 9th November 2015 03:04
Supposed spyshots of next gen Ford Figo surface JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 73 13th February 2015 14:43
My 1st diesel: Diamond white Ford Figo ZXI. Interior Pics on Pg 3 sameerg001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 9th June 2014 02:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks